[How-To] Update to G900A_OF3 - 5.0 and KeepRoot

Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

Downloads:
- G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM
- G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_ROM

Previous Builds
- G900A_OF2_Stock_Rooted_ROM
- G900A_OF2_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to *"Download."
6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the **flash .
7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the G900A_OA1_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.
*If you are already on the OA1 bootloader, set "Reboot" setting to "Normal" and skip Step 7.
**The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition.

Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
- None!

Optional:
- G900A_OF3_TetherAddOn

- G900A_OF2_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).
- G900A_OC4-OF2_Batch_DeBloater (Customizable)

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery. The bootloader will not be updated to allow for downgrading to previous firmware versions.
3. No need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
4. If you do not already have root access (or to unbrick) you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar using Odin's PDA/AP slot (Caution! Do not flash if you have taken the OC4, OF2, or OF3 ota updates) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2

Last edited:

xCAVEMANx

Mar 1, 2009
Learned my lesson on taking OTAs with my old GS3. Been reading on another thread good many people leaped on this one too. SMH. So many warnings against doing so... And we didn't even have to wait that long because... YOU DA MAN!

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Learned my lesson on taking OTAs with my old GS3. Been reading on another thread good many people leaped on this one too. SMH. So many warnings against doing so... And we didn't even have to wait that long because... YOU DA MAN!

Thanks and the worst part for those that took the OF2 ota is their BL qfuse counter was incremented another notch meaning if they softbrick they are locked out of even this file to unbrick: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=61402468

Their only recourse is BestBuy or an ATT store.

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
Att has went to damned far... it appears they are trying to stop us from even being able to use odin at all. The qfuse thing is getting on my nerves. I will not be getting another att branded phone. I have learned my lesson on that for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
fyi...there was a problem with the deodexed ROM. It updated modem and recovery but not system....oops. Will upload correct ROM.

Reactions: jaymzway

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Att has went to damned far... it appears they are trying to stop us from even being able to use odin at all. The qfuse thing is getting on my nerves. I will not be getting another att branded phone. I have learned my lesson on that for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

Off topic but their measures seem to be intended to stop cell phone theft. They have implemented a pswd before the device can be factory reset which would be useless if downgrading to get around it were allowed.

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
Off topic but their measures seem to be intended to stop cell phone theft. They have implemented a pswd before the device can be factory reset which would be useless if downgrading to get around it were allowed.

So with this new update, a password is required to reset?
Not trying to get even further off topic but isn't the imei number enough to stop theft and reuse? I mean if an imei is bad.. it's bad

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
So with this new update, a password is required to reset?
Not trying to get even further off topic but isn't the imei number enough to stop theft and reuse? I mean if an imei is bad.. it's bad

Yes, this build gives you an option to require a pswd before a fdr can be performed.

xCAVEMANx

Mar 1, 2009
Ahhh... Was about to download the deOdexed version after getting all my backups in order, and things cleaned up. Noticed you pulled it... Hate to ask, but how long till it finishes uploading? Trying to multitask and schedule my running around. No big deal just curious. Do your thing. Thanks for all the good work.

Reactions: muniz_ri

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Ahhh... Was about to download the deOdexed version after getting all my backups in order, and things cleaned up. Noticed you pulled it... Hate to ask, but how long till it finishes uploading? Trying to multitask and schedule my running around. No big deal just curious. Do your thing. Thanks for all the good work.

Maybe 5 mins.

EDIT: it's up now...

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Those first ~20 people that downloaded the deodexed rom last night, check your build number in "about phone." Chances are you are still on OC4.

Dark_Vortex

Nov 7, 2010
Those first ~20 people that downloaded the deodexed rom last night, check your build number in "about phone." Chances are you are still on OC4.

Thanks for the quick update! I was one of the ones who downloaded the deodexed build immediately right after you posted the files & I was coming back to ask why my phone wasn't wiped & I was still on OC4.

Great job, muniz!

Reactions: muniz_ri

D1v1d3d

Nov 30, 2012
Ok, I just want to make sure I can use this without any hiccups. I hope not to get flamed about it but here it goes. I have SM-G900A AT&T S5. I am on 4.4.2 and it is rooted with towelroot. The build number i have is G900AUCU2ANG3. Can I use this method to upgrade to Lollipop with root? I just don't want to brick it or anything. Thanks in advance.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Ok, I just want to make sure I can use this without any hiccups. I hope not to get flamed about it but here it goes. I have SM-G900A AT&T S5. I am on 4.4.2 and it is rooted with towelroot. The build number i have is G900AUCU2ANG3. Can I use this method to upgrade to Lollipop with root? I just don't want to brick it or anything. Thanks in advance.

Yes, and I just updated the instructions in the OP that make the process clearer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW

Downloads:
    - G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_ROM
    - G900A_OF3_Stock_Rooted_Deodexed_ROM

Previous Builds
    - G900A_OF2_Stock_Rooted_ROM
    - G900A_OF2_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and set "Reboot" setting to *"Download."
    6. Press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the **flash .
    7. Once the flash is complete and the device reboots into "Download" mode, flash the G900A_OA1_Bootloader using Odin's PDA/AP slot.
    *If you are already on the OA1 bootloader, set "Reboot" setting to "Normal" and skip Step 7.
    **The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition.

Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Optional:
    - G900A_OF3_TetherAddOn

- G900A_OF2_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).
    - G900A_OC4-OF2_Batch_DeBloater (Customizable)

Notes:
    1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
    2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery. The bootloader will not be updated to allow for downgrading to previous firmware versions.
    3. No need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you do not already have root access (or to unbrick) you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar using Odin's PDA/AP slot (Caution! Do not flash if you have taken the OC4, OF2, or OF3 ota updates) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
    5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2
    Uploading a stock, unrooted flashable OI5 ROM w/out the bootloader for use with FlashFire so people can try OI5 and downgrade back to NCE at anytime in order to re-root. Stay tuned...
    I am taking the deodexed version down for futher testing. I may have rushed through that build but it seemed to work for me. Stay tuned...

Edit: I recently updated my PC's main boot partition to Windows 10 and it seems that our current deodexing tool, SVA, is not compatible with Windows 10. I will spend more time on it at some point but for now it looks like someone else is going to have to tackle the deodexed build.

Correction:

Nevermind on any of this, got things working fine on Windows 10. Uploading deodexed version now.
    Correction:

Nevermind on any of this, got things working fine on Windows 10. Uploading deodexed version now.

I know the Thanks button is there for a reason, but this goes beyond clicking a button for me. A lot of devs would have given up, called it a day, and moved on & that would have been fine. That you stuck with it & got things working for us AT&T S5 owners is greatly appreciated.
    @muniz_ri there it is! Hopefully you can work your magic like you always have

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will look into it and I hope that I am wrong but I am not hopefull based on what I have seen on other samsung 5.1 releases. Will let Everyone know soon.