[EB13] [MOD] Keyboard Tweaks -- '@' for SMILEY [UPDATED] 2.27.2010

Search This thread

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
I am currently working on some kernel hacks with the keyboard files to allow for some more goodies, I have to do it in-between classes, but I am getting somewhere.

Also anyone who knows how to modify API level KeyEvent changes get in touch with me. I am looking into creating my own ENDCALL implementation to only work while(in-phone) but my app is lacking. I think I will have to modify the actual Phone.apk to hang-up on keypress 107 event id.

**now included in some roms**
*thanks for the #include devs*

This only works if you have root and clockworkmod recovery installed see the stickys in the EPIC 4G DEVELOPMENT to get them first.

I, like a lot of people, got sick of the SMILEY button. I also barely use the search button on the bottom of the screen,
so I decided to change them and make them more useful.

edit: according to Geniusdog254 this will need to be reapplied after a rom update, unless it is included in the rom.
DEVS: please feel free to include this or at least a link to this post when updating your roms.

**changed mod method to clockworkmod recovery**

I have had several friends and members ask me how to do this... (they also asked for it to be made dummy proof)
I hope I have succeeded.

FOR NOOBS:

To Enable tweaks

1: download the attachments -
for only smiley to @ tweak
for only search to endcall tweak
2. install through clockworkmod recovery
option 1. use the clockworkmod rom manager to select file and flash
option 2. boot into clockworkmod recovery and select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > then navigate to zip and install

To Disable tweaks (ie: go back to regular keyboard layout)

1: download the attachments -
for only smiley to @ tweak
for only search to endcall tweak

2. install through clockworkmod recovery ( clockworkmod < 3.0.0 only, I haven't had time to learn the edify scripting developers feel free to make it if you want to include it)
option 1. use the clockworkmod rom manager to select file and flash
option 2. boot into clockworkmod recovery and select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > then navigate to zip and install

FOR SKILLED USERS:

1. Just download the zip file
2. use ClockworkMod recovery to install the zip files above
or
download, extract, flash the ones of your choosing from here

FOR DEVS and/or SKILLED USERS:

the changes are simple
I got the information from http://pdk.android.com/online-pdk/guide/keymaps_keyboard_input.html...
To make your own keyboard layouts just edit the .kl files in a notepad (gedit or notepad++ choose your flavor) then push them back to /system/usr/keylayout
- for search hack (melfas-touchkey.kl) - key 107 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED -> key 107 ENDCALL WAKE - then save.
changes:

-for AT/Smiley hack (s3c-keypad.kl) - key 42 SMILEY WAKE_DROPPED -> key 42 AT WAKE_DROPPED - then save.

'SEARCH' Button on the bottom will end calls and put screen to sleep while not in a call
this only affects the capacitive search button on the bottom (the bottom 4 on the main screen)
the hardware search button on the qwerty keyboard is still mapped to search

':) - smiley' button on qwerty keyboard is now the '@' symbol... (I have no idea why this wasn't stock to begin with)

**edit**
added attachments for only smiley and only search button hacks

**edit**
changed install method to *.zip for clockworkmod recovery

**edit 2.27.2010**
included specific changes

Last edited:

NeonMonster

Jan 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow awesome! :)

I was pretty excited for the smiley button, but honestly have NEVER used it since I don't like the :) faces. :p

I actually use the Search button pretty frequently, so could you put up a separate hack for JUST the smiley/@ button? :)

Wait, does the search button hack only apply to hardware keyboard or to the capacitive search button also?

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
search

Wow awesome! :)

I was pretty excited for the smiley button, but honestly have NEVER used it since I don't like the :) faces. :p

I actually use the Search button pretty frequently, so could you put up a separate hack for JUST the smiley/@ button? :)

Wait, does the search button hack only apply to hardware keyboard or to the capacitive search button also?

edited first post
added individual hacks to attachments

PS
search hack is only for capacitive...
the physical search button on the keyboard is still mapped to search

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
This is old news ;)

I had the first post with it back in the good ole days in the G1 section lmao. My Search2Play app on the Market actually does this, but it remaps search to play/pause music. I really need to update it for the Epic & other SGS devices lol

Anyway, I was going to change the smiley to @ myself the other day but never got around to it. Kudos!

EDIT: Also, it WILL change between ROMs. They (almost) always wipe /system in the update script and then flash back, and even if they don't they always contain these files for safety. Not a big deal, but you will have to change it again after a ROM change

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
This is old news ;)

I had the first post with it back in the good ole days in the G1 section lmao. My Search2Play app on the Market actually does this, but it remaps search to play/pause music. I really need to update it for the Epic & other SGS devices lol

Anyway, I was going to change the smiley to @ myself the other day but never got around to it. Kudos!

EDIT: Also, it WILL change between ROMs. They (almost) always wipe /system in the update script and then flash back, and even if they don't they always contain these files for safety. Not a big deal, but you will have to change it again after a ROM change

COOL...
I went from a G1 to an epic 4g,
Was hard to leave cyanogen and all the G1 greatness...

I didn't know that your tool worked for the capacative search button only, I tried it and it changed both of them.

Cant wait to see your updated app and stop using this crude workaround....

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
COOL...
I went from a G1 to an epic 4g,
Was hard to leave cyanogen and all the G1 greatness...

I didn't know that your tool worked for the capacative search button only, I tried it and it changed both of them.

Cant wait to see your updated app and stop using this crude workaround....

My app actually does the exact same thing your doing, replacing the *.kl file with one that has the buttons remapped. It's just packaged up into a nice shiny little box :p :cool:

Also, it works for all types of buttons, but on capacitive buttons it doesn't work when the screen is turned off.

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
thanks again.

updated in OP thanks....

PS.
Isn't the purpose of open source code reuse.... ;)

Love your kernel can't wait for the update tomorrow night. I do a lot of personal development on my phone would love to test things for you from time to time.

PPS
I am a student in computer engineering focusing on VLSI so I dont always have time to post my personal edits...

Geniusdog254

Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
updated in OP thanks....

PS.
Isn't the purpose of open source code reuse.... ;)

Love your kernel can't wait for the update tomorrow night. I do a lot of personal development on my phone would love to test things for you from time to time.

PPS
I am a student in computer engineering focusing on VLSI so I dont always have time to post my personal edits...

Of course thats the point of open source lol. I wasn't criticizing you at all if that's what it sounded like, its great you figured that out for yourself. People like you & I who experiment with our phones until we make them work how we want are what makes the world go round ;) lol

jbuss69

Sep 29, 2010
Sorry, having trouble installing...I have my phone rooted and busybox, but I'm getting what I think is an error message.

It says- 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

NeonMonster

Jan 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Sorry, having trouble installing...I have my phone rooted and busybox, but I'm getting what I think is an error message.

It says- 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

For some reason the bat file doesn't connect to ADB.

You have to throw all the files in your TOOLS folder within your c:/android folder or where ever your ADB.exe file is.

It should run fine after that. :)

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
I'm going to throw up an update.zip in a few minutes so this can be done on the phone though clockworkmod

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Last edited:

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
For some reason the bat file doesn't connect to ADB.

You have to throw all the files in your TOOLS folder within your c:/android folder or where ever your ADB.exe file is.

It should run fine after that. :)

thanks for lookin out,

I changed the method for the modifications to a update.zip compatible with clockworkmod recovery...

now it can be done on the phone without a computer for easy reinstall with roms

legacydevice

Mar 16, 2008
Thanks so much! I was so stoked to see this post when I woke up, and can report the @ tweak under clockwork works like a charm. It's crazy how much work it's taken to get this phone back to the same level of usability as my OG Droid, but between this and the lockscreen hack, I'm the closest I can be now until we have froyo. Cheers!

sinman02

Nov 4, 2008
this is great, but could you please create a version that lets you remap the long press of the search button to something like vlingo?

aestil

Sep 17, 2010
Does it require a long press of the search button to sleep the phone or hang up? I'm afraid of it being to easy to hit the search button and have it hang up or close phone when you didn't want it to.

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
For this release the longpress is still mapped to voicesearch
I can remap it if really necessary

smeyerhuky

Jan 26, 2009
Sorry.
Your right just realized I was running a test build w/o the changes XD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I miss these mods too! I would also like to see these updated for DK28! :)

I'm working on it still, been crazy next week is dead week and I have two tests...

It seems like froyo added some files into the keyboard layout folder. Have to figure out why and then update soon

I'm going to update this to EB13 this weekend. hopefully with a fix for the not_in_call end behavior

Can I expect this to work on the ec05 syndicate rom? Also if I try it and it does not work, can it be easily undone, without wiping or reflashing?

This is for the smiley key to @ key:

If you have root explorer installed, its REAL easy to just do manually. All you have to do is browse to /system/usr/keylayout and tap the "Mount R/W" button on the top right, then long press on s3c-keypad.kl and select "Open in text editor". Then scroll down to Key 42 and change "key 42 SMILEY WAKE_DROPPED" to "key 42 AT WAKE_DROPPED". Then hit back once or twice until a popup asks you if you want to save. Hit yes. Then reboot. Works perfectly.