[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

Search This thread

togad

Nov 11, 2006
This looks awesome - great work. I'll be buying it as soon as I can get hold of the cable.

Bit of a long shot, but any chance of getting it to work wirelessly?

I've got a 1D Mk IV with the wireless file transmitter.

If your software could be made to work with this, it would be amazing.

be0ne

Sep 4, 2008
Paris
Need usb OTG

Wooow, amazing app. Kudos M. Chainfire !

Now I need a OTG cable for my Galaxy S2 :D
And I need it fast !

.:EDIT:.
ok, OTG cable ordered :D

Now Android Market says the app isn't compatible with any of my devices and I can't buy it :/
My Galaxy S2 runs an official KG1 firmware but I bought it as a carrier branded phone (2.3.3)... maybe that's the cause of the issue.
I know this is a bit off topic but I would really like to buy the app. Is there a way I can do it through market in these circumstances ?

Last edited:

faarao

Jul 28, 2011
Interesting. I will be releasing a free app to help test compatibility ASAP. It will give some more info about your setup. It could be related to the custom ROM... I do believe the Adam can read USB memory sticks and such, right ?

USB memory sticks works fine. I moved to HC ROM that NI offers, no problems with USB sticks but I can't see the version 0.51 anymore so there is something screwed up in my USB host and I suspect that it is the kernel that it is used in these versions of HC (2.6.32), as the REAL kernel version for HC should be .36.

Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Im having Issues.

I have a Canon DSLR EOS XS And im using an ACER A500

I can get Live view to show up.. But I cannot Control anything. I get Blank Menus if I press ISO or anything like that. And If I try and take a picture it says Capture Failed.

Im Using the Full size USB port on my Tablet. And it all looks good. I just get no control

Am I doing something wrong? Or is my Camera or Tablet Being Retarded?

I am assuming here that the XS is not a very new model ? It appears that the older the EOS model, the issues there are. I am going to try to borrow some older models from friends and camera clubs (luckily my sister is a camera club organiser) so I can test with more of those and hopefully figure out the issue. This will however take a while.

Ok, I thought the usb control mode for Canon DSLR's was generic because I used to have a program on my laptop to control my 1D Mk2 and that particular program can control nearly all Canon camera's. That's why I thought they had figured out a way to make this generic. A bit like Philips made up the RCx protocol for controlling various devices.

Still hopefull. I read various comments that the Desire has USB OTG support. Something I have to investigate. Would love to control the camera from the phone. Good for studio work.

Well the thing is, there are really old Canons who use a proprietary communication protocol, then there are Canons who do use the PTP protocol but with command set #A, and the newer Canons who use the PTP protocol but with command set #B (A and B or not official names, it's just to illustrate that they are different).

All the liveview models pretty much use the #B command set, but then there are still different dialects between them - these differences cause the problems we are currently seeing.

And even though the PTP protocol is used, it is just a bare protocol. Yes, it does provide for standard commands, but the PTP protocol is extensible. What happened is that each and every camera brand that supports PTP has decided to use only the extensible command set, and has completely custom and undocumented commands, instead of using the standard commands.

Due to this, the only way to get this stuff to work, is a very lengthy process of reverse engineering, USB tracing, and a lot of trial and error during testing. That is why I actually need these cameras in hand to play with, there is no other way to figure out how to get them to work. That is also why Nikon will only be supported after Canon is stable, I need to get my hands on some Nikons, while I have a bunch of Canons already lying around.

I'm sure there are programs that do all this fairly well, but the complexity of it should not be underestimated. The more features you add, the more problematic it all becomes - especially in combination with the liveview functionality, which also works different across various models. Big chance a lot of work went into that program you mention, even if it might not be apparent.

As for the Desire, again, its hardware is perfectly capable of doing USB host. Pretty much all 1ghz phones have the hardware, the problem is the software (kernel + Android framework) support. That support has not been introduced until Honeycomb (exact Honeycomb version differs per device, some have it on 3.0, others only on 3.2). It works on the leaked firmwares of the Samsung Galaxy S2 because apparently Samsung backported that functionality - maybe not even from Honeycomb but from Ice Cream Sandwich, which I'm sure Samsung already access to. That is also why I keep mentioning Ice Cream Sandwich - most phones that get this will likely support the software parts of USB host.

I can see it, I just cannot purchase and download it.

On the web market you'd be able to see it, on the device itself you probably wouldn't. Either way, either your device or your firmware isn't compatible.

Ok I just did a bit more testing on the loss of touch-screen focus with my setup (Galaxy Tab 10.1 + Canon 50D). After the program connects and opens, 1) I drag and set the focus point to the desired location, 2) I tap the screen to focus, which it does, 3) I capture the photo (successfully), and finally 4) after I move the focusing point to a new location, I tape the screen to focus and nothing happens. The program still works and isn't completely frozen, as I can still access the focusing toggle buttons which do work just fine. I've also noticed that again I can only change the focus option (Quick, Live, and :) ) once during a session; after that when I try to select a different option I am unable to select another toggle button.

Well, I have just received word that my USB host adapter for my own Galaxy Tab 10.1v has finally shipped, and should arrive Monday, so I'll be able to start testing on the Galaxy Tab coming week. I also have a 50D, so hopefully I can replicate - and fix - this. Unfortunately, the 50D I have has all sorts of issues, so let's hope I get it to work well enough ;)

This is so cool!! I was reading DPReview and was thinking, WTF a XDA developer doing here in a camera website!? http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11080515androidtetheredapp.asp
This is very cool!

One question thought, is the frame rate limit by the phone/tablet itself or by the camera? Since 15fps is quite choppy...of course I don't think anyone will use this to take split second photo, but improving the frame rate might be some sort of priority. If it's limit by the camera, maybe using a Sony DSLR could improve the frame rate? Since I think Live View is best on Sony rather than on Canon or Nikon. Oh, and when is Sony DSLR be supported? Will definitely try this once you have Sony supported since I only have a Sony a33 at the moment.

Also, is it possible to select where the photo will be saved? On the camera's card or on the phone/tablet SD card?

It is currently artificially limited to 15 fps, but I hope to build in a tuner that will help you reach the highest FPS possible with your camera / Android combination. However, I must warn you, the chance that it'll be over 15 FPS is very small. DSLR Controller already uses multi-threading to make it perform at any rate at all. Decoding the liveview stream takes a lot of processing power, and while your desktop PC's processor wouldn't break a sweat, the processors used in Android really aren't all that great at this.

Sony support is way down the line.

This looks awesome - great work. I'll be buying it as soon as I can get hold of the cable.

Bit of a long shot, but any chance of getting it to work wirelessly?

I've got a 1D Mk IV with the wireless file transmitter.

If your software could be made to work with this, it would be amazing.

Unlikely for the near future. I don't have a 1D mk IV, nor do I have a wireless file transmitter, nor do I know how that protocol works. I'm not saying it will never be supported, but don't expect it anytime soon.

Wooow, amazing app. Kudos M. Chainfire !

Now I need a OTG cable for my Galaxy S2 :D
And I need it fast !

.:EDIT:.
ok, OTG cable ordered :D

Now Android Market says the app isn't compatible with any of my devices and I can't buy it :/
My Galaxy S2 runs an official KG1 firmware but I bought it as a carrier branded phone (2.3.3)... maybe that's the cause of the issue.
I know this is a bit off topic but I would really like to buy the app. Is there a way I can do it through market in these circumstances ?

You need to upgrade your SGS2 to the 2.3.4 branch of the KG series. Yes, it is a bit confusing Samsung has a KG firmware series on 2.3.3 as well as 2.3.4. You need the 2.3.4 one. It can be found here on XDA, but I do not believe it has rolled out officially anywhere yet.

be0ne

Sep 4, 2008
Paris
Thanks a lot for the super fast answer ! That's indeed the reason.The actual KG1 I use is in 2.3.3. I'll upgrade to KG6 which is in 2.3.4 asap.

Thx again, see you on the CF-Root topic and on the market then :D

Last edited:

m.shafik

Jun 5, 2010
What about us poor people with no access to the paid market or paypal?
I live in Egypt and we can't use paypal, even using "Market Access" to reveal the paid apps doesn't work when it comes to the payment method.

Is there anyway I can buy this app? I am willing to do online money transfer if possible, can you please make it work? Before your app I tried contacting the "RemoteYourCam Pro" developer but I didn't get a response.

DjJuvan

Aug 6, 2011
juvan.net
Great work there, I bought the app and it works great on Samsung Galaxy S2 (2.3.4) and EOS 550D. While it has very little basic options, I propose you really start doing on stuff you already have on "to-do" list and here are even more ideas:
- saving images/video to mobile phone
- direct sending images/video over wifi/3g to web hosts (facebook/dropbox...etc) (with an option of only making smaller preview picture)
- live web broadcast through mobile internet/wifi with use of Ustream/others...
- timer
- better video recording support (live view while recording would be nice, and a working button for "start record")

if you like, I could write more ideas ^^

Thx!!

Aymara

Jul 5, 2011
Ruhr Region
You need to upgrade your SGS2 to the 2.3.4 branch of the KG series. Yes, it is a bit confusing Samsung has a KG firmware series on 2.3.3 as well as 2.3.4. You need the 2.3.4 one. It can be found here on XDA, but I do not believe it has rolled out officially anywhere yet.

The official 2.3.4 should also be available soon.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
What about us poor people with no access to the paid market or paypal?
I live in Egypt and we can't use paypal, even using "Market Access" to reveal the paid apps doesn't work when it comes to the payment method.

Is there anyway I can buy this app? I am willing to do online money transfer if possible, can you please make it work? Before your app I tried contacting the "RemoteYourCam Pro" developer but I didn't get a response.

Not at the moment, sorry. Though I will certainly be looking at other payment methods once the program is fully stable.

Great work there, I bought the app and it works great on Samsung Galaxy S2 (2.3.4) and EOS 550D. While it has very little basic options, I propose you really start doing on stuff you already have on "to-do" list and here are even more ideas:
- saving images/video to mobile phone
- direct sending images/video over wifi/3g to web hosts (facebook/dropbox...etc) (with an option of only making smaller preview picture)
- live web broadcast through mobile internet/wifi with use of Ustream/others...
- timer
- better video recording support (live view while recording would be nice, and a working button for "start record")

if you like, I could write more ideas ^^

Thx!!

All those are already on the to-do list (the list is pretty long, and people add to it daily), however, my first priority right now and for the near future is stability and improving EOS models support. As you can read in this thread, various people are still having some problems with various EOS models. That is the absolute #1 priority.

Saving to mobile is high on the list, so is timer and video. Direct sending to web hosts and live broadcast is significantly lower on the to-do list.

Reactions: msatter

DjJuvan

Aug 6, 2011
juvan.net
All those are already on the to-do list (the list is pretty long, and people add to it daily), however, my first priority right now and for the near future is stability and improving EOS models support. As you can read in this thread, various people are still having some problems with various EOS models. That is the absolute #1 priority.

Saving to mobile is high on the list, so is timer and video. Direct sending to web hosts and live broadcast is significantly lower on the to-do list.

Glad to hear... this app is probably the third best thing i bought along 550D and Galaxy S2 :D

msatter

Sep 30, 2007
Great progress and I am using an iPad for now with an Eye-fi SD card and Shuttersnitch.

I have worked with Wireless USB to control the camera from my computer/notebook and that works fine and it transfers the pictures swiftly.

Some speedtests: Transfer programme, Downloader Pro 2.2.7

Wireless USB (WUSB not WiFi)
CF card in Camera --> WUSB --> computer: 3.6 MB/sec
CF card in Lexar card-reader --> WUSB --> computer: 5.9 MB/sec

EyeFi SD Pro X2 8GB
RAW picture 18 MB --> EyeFi --> computer: 1.6 MB/sec

USB cable
CF card in Camera --> computer: 10.1 MB/sec
CF card in Lexar card-reader --> computer: 27 MB/sec

I don't have Android device so I can't test if the Wireless USB dongles will work.

My first post here in almost 4 years since I became Junior Member. ;-)

Last edited:

Nigma2k

May 13, 2011
Hi,

I have an S2 (CFRooted + CF3D) and the marketplace is saying that that this app is incompatible with my devices.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Hi,

I have an S2 (CFRooted + CF3D) and the marketplace is saying that that this app is incompatible with my devices.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Again, again, and again, you need a 2.3.4 KG series firmware. You can find them here on XDA or on SamFirmware. These are not officially released yet, though I believe roll out should start this month.

olm3ca

Apr 11, 2011
For those of us on nook colors, CM7 is now at android 2.3.5 overclocked to 1.2ghz and USB host mode enabled. How can we install this? I would pay even just to test it.

Great work with this app. I've been looking for an android app like this!

Gede

Mar 10, 2004
Singaraja
www.bali-information.com
Very Nice..... (but can't try yet)

You mention "Exposure Compensation and Bracket" as one of the features...

Dou you extend the bracketing features? Or does it mean you can set the standard bracketing?

If your software supports the same type of bracketing as the Promote controller ( http://bit.ly/kxcR1 ) it will be a real winner.... (for HDR)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to de-duplicate a lot of information, I have moved the bulk of it to the DSLR Controller website. This thread still remains the place to get support, discuss, and ask questions, though!

DSLR Controller was the first and remains the best app to fully control your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device, through USB cable or Wi-Fi connection. No computer or laptop required, no root required, only a compatible mobile device, a compatible camera, and if connecting through USB, the right cable.

We strongly suggest you read up on the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) about what DSLR Controller can do, how it works, and how to use it, before purchasing. The website contains a wealth of information you should know before using.

Not all devices are compatible, especially if you want to use a USB connection. For a free app you can use to test compatibility, see the "Remote Release" app ( http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.remoterelease ). If you need a refund, go to our website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) and follow the instructions in the FAQ entry. We cannot process refunds through email.

Usage notes, feature lists, device compatibility lists, changelogs, FAQs, can all be found on our website: http://dslrcontroller.com/

Most questions should go to the support and discussion thread at XDA-Developers.com:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1202082

Features

Features include but are not limited to:

- Live View
    - Auto Focus (tap Live View)
    - Manual focus adjustments (in AF mode)
    - Histogram
    - Zoom control
    - Grid and aspect ratio overlay
    - Bulb capture
    - Continuous capture
    - Image review (+ follow shot, gallery)
    - Image filters (peaking, contrast, channel mask, grayscale, 4 modes/filter)
    - Video recording
    - HDR/Auto Exposure Bracketing
    - Focus Bracketing (incl. HDR)
    - Focus A-B
    - Mirror Lockup support
    - Timelapse (incl. HDR)
    - Wi-Fi Passthrough
    - Extensive modification of settings
    -- Shutter speed
    -- Aperture
    -- ExpComp and Bracket
    -- ISO speed
    -- Auto-Focus Mode
    -- Focus and Zoom area (tap-and-hold Live View)
    -- Picture Style
    -- Drive Mode
    -- White Balance
    -- Color Temperature
    -- Auto-Lighting Optimizer
    -- Metering Mode
    -- Image and video quality and format

Available options depend on the mode you have your camera set to (M, Av, Tv, etc) and camera model. Refer to the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) for further details.

Supported Android devices:

If you are connecting using Wi-Fi, virtually all modern Android devices are supported (your camera needs Wi-Fi support, though). If you are connecting over USB, your device needs USB host support - most recent devices do. Please see the 'Devices' section on our website ( https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php ) for further information.

If your camera only supports USB, you can modify a TL-MR3040 to provide a Wi-Fi connection ( http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php )

Supported Canon EOS models:

Newer cameras than listed below are usually supported.

Full support:
    - 1D Mark IV
    - 1D X
    - 1D X Mark II
    - 5D Mark II
    - 5D Mark III
    - 5D Mark IV
    - 5Ds(r)
    - 50D
    - 500D
    - 550D
    - 6D
    - 60D
    - 600D
    - 650D
    - 7D
    - 7D Mark II
    - 70D
    - 700D
    - 750D
    - 760D
    - 80D
    - 1100D
    - 1200D
    - 1300D
    - 100D

Limited support:
    - 1D mk III
    - 1Ds mk III
    - 30D
    - 40D
    - 400D
    - 450D
    - 1000D

No support:
    - pre-2006 models
    - EOS M mirrorless devices (work in progress)

Let us know which hardware you are using with DSLR Controller!
    Must-read information

Screenshots and video:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Download, BETA usage notes, and changelogs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/download.php

Table of supported Android devices and Canon EOS DSLRs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

FAQ:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/faq.php
    I am a professional architectural photographer and have adopted your DSLR app into my workflow. Thank you for the great design and amazing functionality. It is a pleasure to work with*.

I would like to know what the future holds for DSLR Contorller. I noticed you are not very active on this forum (last post on 2/26/2015), but wanted to encourage you to keep on developing because I, We need it!!!

DSLR Controller was originally built for Android 2.x years ago, and a lot of things have changed both in the camera world as well as the mobile world. Despite bolting on many improvements, the code shows its age. To take it to the next level and get everything I want into it (customizability, compatibility, portability, speed, etc), a lot of the core needs to be changed, the UI needs to be changed (if not in appearance or functionality then certainly how it's been coded), etc. It pretty much comes down to not just overhauling major parts, but completely redoing it from scratch, and rebuilding it as envisioned from the ground up.

This brings with it a number of issues. It is a lot of development time (and thus money) investment up front, of which you will see no results, until it is almost done. In the mean time, you can't really release anything that isn't up to par with the current version of DSLR Controller, and you can't just replace the current version as old users/devices may no longer be compatible, stranding paying customers. A lot of additional equipment needs to be gotten and tested with to ensure compatibility and portability (remote and end-user testing isn't really workable with apps like these). Not to mention that DSLRs are pretty much doomed, and this is definitely being reflected in daily sales.

The past year hasn't been very good on a personal level, which isn't your problem of course, but it is one reason for the lapse in development of certain apps. This one adds to the fact that in light of the above, it feels like a waste of resources to spend a lot of time on improvements in the current app. There have been talks with a team (from a big brand in the camera world) to take over the IP, pretty much solving the resource problem, but ultimately that fell through, after the talks taking up a large part of my time for months.

Also, I know it seems like DSLR Controller has generated a lot of funds, but spread out over the years its been available, subtracting equipment costs, corporate taxes, wage taxes, etc, you wouldn't be able to hire one(!) half-competent coder for the money left at today's going rates, not to mention the risks involved with hiring people. Even though I do get paid and get all these toys to play with, wanting to build it has always been a large part of this, as there are definitely more profitable ways to spend the time. At the same time having to compete with $300 equipment, and people still complaining about the $8 price.

This app is also a complete nightmare to support, as by far the bulk of the connection issues are not due to the app itself, but due to camera configuration, phone configuration, hardware incompatibilities, firmware incompatibilities, etc. That is, excepting the case where DSLR Controller just hangs, which sometimes (but definitely not always) is an issue with the app. Not to mention the droves of questions and reported issues by people who simply don't understand how their cameras work.

All of that being said, I do believe there may be a business case where a rebuild with additional features and support for Nikon and/or Sony and/or (insert other brands here) and other OSs like Linux, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc using a shared core may at least break even. That is, providing I can find competent developers to do it (as there is no way I can pull this off by myself), and finding said competent developers with at least somewhat relevant skills might in fact be the biggest problem to solve. Still, even in the best case scenario, I don't believe any work will get started before end-of-summer.

Don't mistake the lack of visible activity for lack of interest. What to do with DSLR Controller and how to get there is something I consider every day, as in the end, it's still the app I've enjoyed most developing over the years. But if the solution means spending more resources updating the current app, developing a new one, or investing funds to get a whole new company off the ground with a handful of people to cover both major brands and major OSs - that I don't know yet. But I do hope to have an answer to that sooner rather than later.

(this post was written in a rush as I need to run for another appointment but I didn't want to leave this unsaid, so if it's jumping here and there and not fully coherent, that's why)
    Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?

After next week I have three weeks reserved for exclusive DSLR Controller work, if that doesn't finished the upcoming update, I'd be surprised :)
    The price will go up once v1.0 is reached, but the upgrade is free for those who have this BETA???

Why can't I see free version?

Because it's good software and the developer deserves to get paid. Beta doesn't mean it's not valuable, it means that the software isn't very mature or well tested. if you want it now, you pay. If you want to pay once it's well tested and proven then wait.

Either way, quit your sniveling people. This is an AMAZING deal at that price. If you can afford a DSLR and know how to use it, you can afford 10 times this and would gladly pay it. If you think otherwise, you likely don't need this software to begin with and have nothing to complain about.