Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread

FH-CS

Jan 6, 2009
Tampa
I rooted my R800x with SuperOnceClick the day I got it (a few months ago). I installed OTA RootKeeper when this thread showed up. I haven't done any tinkering with the bootloader as I've been fairly contempt with stock (oddly enough, I flashed just about every ROM I could back when I had Windows Mobile). I have not messed with any system apps (that means: no deleting or moving to SD card.)

The update downloaded just fine for me and installed without any problems. I didn't have to unroot before doing either task, and it appears that I still have root after the update (OTA RootKeeper wasn't necessary).

Like DieB4uwake mentioned, the only thing I lost was my activation, but that's not an issue whatsoever really - just a few minute call and everything was back to normal.

I know this isn't the best way to measure things, but in the "all" tab under applications, it appears that I've lost 10MB of space due to whatever apps and updates Verizon installed. It would also appear that Madden can now be moved to the SD card, which gives back that 10MB lost in the update (maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn we couldn't move Madden to the SD card before the update).

I'm not entirely positive on this one either, but I believe Swype may have received a small update as well. If someone still on 2.3.3 wouldn't mind, could you post what version of Swype is installed so I can see if I'm right?

Selim873

Apr 8, 2011
I got the update, kept root with OTA RootKeeper, my boot loader has always been locked so it didn't really matter. Can't wait to see new 2.3.4 locked roms! That is if there'll be any. XD

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
5. Install 2.3.4 update.
6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
I rooted my R800x with SuperOnceClick the day I got it (a few months ago). I installed OTA RootKeeper when this thread showed up. I haven't done any tinkering with the bootloader as I've been fairly contempt with stock (oddly enough, I flashed just about every ROM I could back when I had Windows Mobile). I have not messed with any system apps (that means: no deleting or moving to SD card.)

The update downloaded just fine for me and installed without any problems. I didn't have to unroot before doing either task, and it appears that I still have root after the update (OTA RootKeeper wasn't necessary).

Like DieB4uwake mentioned, the only thing I lost was my activation, but that's not an issue whatsoever really - just a few minute call and everything was back to normal.

I know this isn't the best way to measure things, but in the "all" tab under applications, it appears that I've lost 10MB of space due to whatever apps and updates Verizon installed. It would also appear that Madden can now be moved to the SD card, which gives back that 10MB lost in the update (maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn we couldn't move Madden to the SD card before the update).

I'm not entirely positive on this one either, but I believe Swype may have received a small update as well. If someone still on 2.3.3 wouldn't mind, could you post what version of Swype is installed so I can see if I'm right?

Bizzarely Madden has disappeared off my phone. I'm pretty sure it was there when I updated, but when I restored my data its now gone. I didn't back it up either as I never really play it, so its no great loss, but it would be nice to still have it.

Edit: OK.... Rebooted my phone and now it shows up, and its moved to the SD card. I had never moved it. Deleted some verizon bloatware and gained no space... This is getting weirder and weirder.....

Last edited:

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I would really like for my computer to actually flash the .88 ftf file to my phone, but it keeps getting an error while flashing system.sin. Anyone else get errors?

Edit: I guess I'll leave some info. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04, using FlashTool version 0.6.8.0. Do I need to update, or is there something else preventing me from going back to stock?

Edit number 2: Strangely enough, I changed the log output from info to debug, and it actually worked on the first try after switching. Strange. Very strange...

Last edited:

beez1717

Dec 23, 2010
Pleasant Hill CA
Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
5. Install 2.3.4 update.
6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.

So would rootkeeper help here so I wouldn't have to use superoneclick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

beez1717

Dec 23, 2010
Pleasant Hill CA

5. Install 2.3.4 update.
8. Reboot Phone

Is there an equivalent of flash tool for macs or are Mac users screwed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
I hate to hijack this thread for something else entirely, but has anyone tried using the mods and themes that were originally made for 2.3.4 for the other R800 phones? If not, guess what I'm about to do? :D

If anyone already has, you'd better warn me before I start, otherwise I'll be just another guinea pig! ;)

I hate to hijack this thread for something else entirely, but has anyone tried using the mods and themes that were originally made for 2.3.4 for the other R800 phones? If not, guess what I'm about to do? :D

If anyone already has, you'd better warn me before I start, otherwise I'll be just another guinea pig! ;)

I have a really cool ICS themes for my 2.3.3, lost the update files and cannot find it, lockscreen sliders are clear with ics blue lining around them. I have however not tried the themes for 2.3.4 yet,

If you try it and it works can you let us know? Thanks

droidjunkie

Another thing, Facebook Sync says it works now, but it doesn't do anything.

Will need to continue to use Fsync...

Is there something official that says Facebook sync works out are you going off of my post saying it worked? Facebook accounts now appear in the accounts section of settings and in the contacts app and you can even set it to sync all contacts but the Facebook app still is not giving the option which i'm sure is needed for Facebook contact sync to work

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
So would rootkeeper help here so I wouldn't have to use superoneclick?

You will lose root when you flash the new ftf file. Once rooted again and as long as after you root you don't touch anything at all just do the update, rootkeeper is not needed.

I tried using rootkeeper before i went this route and it did not do anything mainly because the update would not complete. But you don't need it anyway.

Is there an equivalent of flash tool for macs or are Mac users screwed?

I don't know of one, I would say its unlikely

Is there something official that says Facebook sync works out are you going off of my post saying it worked? Facebook accounts now appear in the accounts section of settings and in the contacts app and you can even set it to sync all contacts but the Facebook app still is not giving the option which i'm sure is needed for Facebook contact sync to work

I noticed your post saying it worked, and now it does show up under "Accounts" which it didn't in the past (which is why I said it "says it works"), but it just doesn't do anything. I also noticed under settings in the Fb app it doesn't show up. Very strange issue, but easily bypassed by downloading FSync.

Last edited:

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
Is anyone having problems transferring files over usb? For some reason, making a folder and transferring files isn't working for me. I'm going through dropbox right now, which shows me that it isn't a problem with the phone's filesystem, but perhaps it's because I have USB debugging on while I'm transferring files? Any ideas or input?

Edit to add my test results:

After applying the notification toggles found in this thread, I can confirm that it works, haven't tested all of the toggles, but they appear, and it doesn't break data.

I then tested the theme in this thread, and found that while the theme was applied, data was broken.

I tried the CRT Screen off animation from this thread, which was confirmed to work on some Xperia Play devices. I didn't notice any difference, even with all animations turned on and such.

Finally, I tested the reboot options from this thread, and found that it also broke data.

That's all I tested, so long as you have a nandroid, you should be fine on testing other things. Have fun, I'm off to bed.

Last edited:

Any luck? Do current 2.3.4 themes work now on the R800x?

droidjunkie

Is anyone having problems transferring files over usb? For some reason, making a folder and transferring files isn't working for me. I'm going through dropbox right now, which shows me that it isn't a problem with the phone's filesystem, but perhaps it's because I have USB debugging on while I'm transferring files? Any ideas or input?

I'm not I just made a backup of all my files on my sdcard. although I don't have debugging turned on

Sent from my R800x using XDA

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
Nice. I didn't want to double post, but nobody had posted before I finished my preliminary tests. My updated post above has my results.

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Dora anybody else gave an issue with g talk saying it can't connect? (cleared data/rebooted, nothing)

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    8. Reboot Phone

I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?