NewsSpot for Google Reader -[R]- 2013-02-01 -[U]- 2012-02-01 -[V]- 3.0

Search This thread
Oct 26, 2011
Cologne
NewsSpot for Google Reader was just released for Windows Phone 8.

This is the Windows Phone 8 update of my app NewsSpot, which is already quite some time available for WP7 (see this thread). Besides the features listed in the other post, NewsSpot for Windows Phone 8 adds the following:

• Full lock screen integration with quick and detailed status as well as background image. All updating in the background.
  • Pin sharp live tiles including the new wide tile style
  • Fast app resume
  • New splash screen
  • All graphics now in high resolution
  • The usual bug fixes ;)

You can download it here:

tag.png

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

There is an add-supported version which is restricted to sync max. 200 unread and 50 starred articles, whereas the full version supports up to 1000 unread or starred articles. Additionaly the lock screen background is only available in the full version.

WVGA_1.jpg WVGA_2.jpg WVGA_3.jpg WVGA_4.jpg WVGA_5.jpg WVGA_6.jpg WVGA_7.jpg WVGA_8.jpg

dazednfazed

Dec 26, 2010
Issue with a live tile.

First of all great app!!! It's FAST and I found the ui is very user friendly. My only gripe right now is the live tile not updating correctly. I setup one group and it is currently saying I have 1000+ unread articles. And putting the live tile into "medium size" actually cuts off the logo. Other than that the app is awesome and is definitely my daily driver for news! Thanks!

Oct 26, 2011
Cologne
First of all great app!!! It's FAST and I found the ui is very user friendly. My only gripe right now is the live tile not updating correctly. I setup one group and it is currently saying I have 1000+ unread articles. And putting the live tile into "medium size" actually cuts off the logo. Other than that the app is awesome and is definitely my daily driver for news! Thanks!

Thanks! I'm glad you to hear like NewsSpot.

Yeah, the 1000+ is actually a limitation by the Google Reader API, since it reports the unread counts only up to this limit. There are ways to get around this limitation, but implementing it is awkward (you have to do one web request for every tile instead of getting all unread counts at once).

The cutoff is intended, as I think knowing the number is more important than seeing the logo :) Otherwise I would have to move the number or make the font smaller, which somehow breaks the default styling of the tiles.

Regards

ekolb123

Aug 17, 2010
is there any way for a google reader app to pre-download/fetch the full article so i can read it when i do not have a connection?

Thanks

Oct 26, 2011
Cologne
is there any way for a google reader app to pre-download/fetch the full article so i can read it when i do not have a connection?

Thanks

I get this request indeed more often recently. Technically it should not be that difficult, since all the code is already in place for caching the article previews and their images. I will see what I can do :)

Oct 26, 2011
Cologne
As you will have already noticed, Google is shutting down its Reader service by the 1st of July. However, this does in no way mean NewsSpot will be retired, too. Please read our Statement to see what's next for NewsSpot.

Oct 26, 2011
Cologne
It's been already a while that we released an update, so here are the news:

• (WP8 only) Raised limit of number of synced articles to 2.000 for each starred and reading list
  • (WP8 only) Added share via QR-code
  • YouTube videos are started without using an external app
  • Improved sharing via phone services
  • Long hold an item in the article list to share it
  • Accelerated switching between articles
  • (WP8 only) Fixed bug: autosync on start works again

Happy reading!

Top Liked Posts