[APP]GCA Launcher (Deprecated)

Search This thread

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Small update published today
-Fixes to the system ui theming
-Better shelf theme support (now with custom color support)
-String typo fix
-General fixes and cleanup
-Notification dismiss fixes
-All apps drawer Fab added to trigger search focus on large screen
-under the hood changes to incorporate new features soon

Reactions: pepot

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Another small hotfix update today trying to fix unread badge counts and indicators. Currently working on a fix to sync all badge indicators to sync across the launcher (shelf, default tab and work tab)

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Next update will focus on a few helpful things for users.

The telegram group is useful for bug reporting, feature request and news updates but those who don't have or participate in telegram miss out in announcements so I'll be working on a new ota message system that will store news updates in a new window. This will alert of any major changes and updates coming, bug breaking and bug tracking issues, general announcements and alerts.

A big request right now is gesture customization. Im still finalizing which gestures work properly in GCA but once everything is in the clear, il add gesture customization to your homescreen.

There are a few issues yet for the cyanea theme engine. Il be continuing to correct these issues over time.

I want to continue making badge unread counts more efficient so we may see some changes regarding badges.

I want to continue improving the experience for android 5 and 6 users but their are not many. If you do have a device with that android version, you can help out by reporting back any hick ups you may find like graphic issues or crashes.

Il be continuing to optimize the launcher for android go while looking at more features to improve the experience. The package size may be border line between too big and requirements but il watch that package size as i work.

General discussion is important so if you have anything to say whether its a request, feedback, a question, whatever the case may be, id love to hear from you. I will continue to post updates on the project as i work.

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Can the google feed be added to this Launcher, just curious? If no not an issue. :good:

Ive asked about it. Never gotten a clear answer. The reality is that if it was added successfully, it would be the first time google feed would be implemented in a home brew launcher that wasn't based on pixel launcher. I might try to communicate with the lawnchair team and see if they can assist me in this. If not, il be sure to create some sort of alternative.

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
New popup menu I'm working on for update 1.1 coming later this month with other launcher enhancements

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_162912_932.jpg
    IMG_20190905_162912_932.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20190904_174838_843.jpg
    IMG_20190904_174838_843.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20190903_222444_501.jpg
    IMG_20190903_222444_501.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 448

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
Please forgive the stupid question, but how do I add the icons I want to the dock like phone, messages chrome, Gmail Go and camera?
I've got two Google photos icons, settings and two playstore icons in my dock right now and don't have a clue how to change it!

But apart from that, this works flawlessly on my Nokia 1 plus (TA 1111) with Android pie (Go edition)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nx Biotic

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Please forgive the stupid question, but how do I add the icons I want to the dock like phone, messages chrome, Gmail Go and camera?
I've got two Google photos icons, settings and two playstore icons in my dock right now and don't have a clue how to change it!

But apart from that, this works flawlessly on my Nokia 1 plus (TA 1111) with Android pie (Go edition)

So this is actually a good question because its asked all the time and im making this to be an easier process in the next update.

The Shelf apps behave differently than the Apps in the App Drawer. Their basically reflections so actions differ from their counter parts.

In the App Drawer, long click on an app and when the popup menu appears, slide over the shortcuts list (bottom action list) until you see the Favorites action. When the dialog appears, select a shelf favorite position (1-5), set a title (optional, for the popuo window) and set it.

I'm working to make the popup menu more user interactive in the next update. That's what is taking up much time atm. I didn't want the menu to behave like the pixel launcher where it stretches itself across the screen to fit options, i wanted it to be compact and interactive with the user. When you ask the question (how do I do this), that juat tells me i tackled that specific feature incorrectly.

Seeing an Android Go user excites me btw!

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
So this is actually a good question because its asked all the time and im making this to be an easier process in the next update.

The Shelf apps behave differently than the Apps in the App Drawer. Their basically reflections so actions differ from their counter parts.

In the App Drawer, long click on an app and when the popup menu appears, slide over the shortcuts list (bottom action list) until you see the Favorites action. When the dialog appears, select a shelf favorite position (1-5), set a title (optional, for the popuo window) and set it.

I'm working to make the popup menu more user interactive in the next update. That's what is taking up much time atm. I didn't want the menu to behave like the pixel launcher where it stretches itself across the screen to fit options, i wanted it to be compact and interactive with the user. When you ask the question (how do I do this), that juat tells me i tackled that specific feature incorrectly.

Seeing an Android Go user excites me btw!

Many thanks.

Was easier than I thought, much happier now.

This by far the best third party launcher I've used on my Nokia android go device, no lag, slow downs or graphic glitches, working fast, fluid and very stable.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190909-061451.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-061451.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 862
  • Screenshot_20190909-061522.png
    Screenshot_20190909-061522.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 861

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Many thanks.

This by far the best third party launcher I've used on my Nokia android go device, no lag, slow downs or graphic glitches, working fast, fluid and very stable.

Many thanks.

Very good to hear, thank you for that! Make sure you leave some love on the google play store review!

Reactions: bubba1601

Nx Biotic

Oct 26, 2010
PA, USA
rgocal.github.io
Many thanks.

Many thanks.

The only down side to Android Go is no notification badge indicators as its not supported by Android Go or At A Glance widget by Google. The widget and notification access is limited but still enjoyable.

Reactions: bubba1601

bubba1601

Aug 23, 2016
Nokia G10/G20
The only down side to Android Go is no notification badge indicators as its not supported by Android Go or At A Glance widget by Google. The widget and notification access is limited but still enjoyable.

That's not an issue to me.

I never used notification dots / badges / unread counts on my previous Nokia 3 in launchers like Lawn chair V2 or Nova because Google changed how notifications worked and the dots / badges / counts got cleared when you swiped away a new notification!

I'm pretty sure no one needs a notification sound, a notification in their notification shade, a notification on their lockscreen AND a little dot on the app showing the notification.
Talk about overkill !

I'm very happy with how GCA works and I'm enjoying no graphical glitches and slowdown that I experience in nova or Lawnchair V2.

The one thing I do miss in android go is a swipe right Google feed.

If someone could enable Google Gos discover feed on a third party launcher I would be very happy and impressed!

Slightly off topic, but the Nokia one pluses performance is well on par with my previous Nokia 3 TA 1020 (2017) that came with nougat and updated to Oreo 8.0
It then had another update to Oreo 8.1 which gave it a huge drop off in performance, it was awful.
Unfortunately it got killed to death in a horrific accident with a large John Deere tractor before it got the android One rebrand and update to pie 9.0.
My Nokia 1 plus is a cheap replacement for that phone.

Nokia 3 TA 1020 £129.99 sim free from Carphone warehouse (UK)
Nokia 1 plus TA 1111 £69.99 sim free from Argos (UK)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nx Biotic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Being a fan of Chromium OS and a passion for developing new and interesting things, I decided to build a launcher inspired by chromium os, based on Material Components.

GCA or GO Custom Android Launcher is a pixel design inspired launcher with core component features from chromium OS desktop. Its designed and built for Android Go but also offers new devices a fresh and new experience for your homescreen.

Supporting Android 5.x+, GCA offers a single screen launcher replacement app for android users who want a pixel lite experience. Alot of the offered features come from my other launcher, Sapphyx Launcher, and rebuilt to be faster, lighter and ultimately offer a better experience in a small package. It runs beautifully on Android Go, smooth on devices with Android 5 (Like the Kindle Fires) and offers a theme engine that's customizeable by the user.

GCA features are dependant on what Google Apps are installed that depend on an action, whether Google services is installed or not and specific apps that are installed (Action Dash for Dash System Shortcut)

Core Features
    -A single screen setup (no grid, one widget).
    -A customizeable App Drawer with multi-purpose search.
    -The App Drawer features apps with system shortcuts and app shortcuts and allows users to blacklist apps.
    -App Drawer supports a secondary "Work" tab to help organize apps in a better fassion.
    -App Shortcuts generate a list of selectable app shortcuts in a vertical menu of the app popup.
    -Recent Apps
    -Easy to use launcher customization
    -Pixel/Chromium desktop like Cosmetics
    -Launcher uses my wallpaper app, Drywall, as default wallpaper provider. If its not installed, fallback on user selected.
    -Notification Badges and Underlining. Clicking on the app will dismiss. Is not supported on Android Go unless activated by OEM.
    -Adaptive Icons
    -Icon Packs

Adaptive Icons
    -GCA Launcher uses James Fenn's adaptive icon view library. The code itself was inspired by lawnchair's backport of adaptive icons for pre oreo devices. It pulls v26 icon assets for foregrounds and backgrounds and relayers them as an adaptive icon view which behave similar to pixel launchers adaptive icons. How you choose to use them will affect performance of the launcher and should be chosen dependant of how capable your device is. Users can select which shape of adaptive icon path they want to use. This will also apply itself to app actions, predictions and app drawer button.

There are 3 options of icons you may use for your drawer.
    Pixel Adaptive - will try and generate adaptive icons based on the assets gathered by the icon and created by the system, this will slow down your app drawer depending on your hardware. (Not recommended for Android Go, Does not support icon packs)
    Palette Adaptive - will disregard any assets available from the icon and simply scale the icon drawable as foreground and apply the dominant color of the icon for the background drawable (Faster than pixel adaptive, supports icon packs)
    Normal Icons - normal default icon behavior and style

What's Not Working / WIP
    -Icon Packs that generate their own icons like Icon Pack Studio may cause crashes, please don't use them. Icon Packs developed with BluePrint library are recommended.
    -If external data usage permission is denied on first start, homescreen scrim will not be available or work correctly. Homescreen scrim will set to default white if using a live wallpaper.
    -GCA is setup to change available features based on Android OS, if you notice something that may not be correct or crashes, let me know. This is your only paywall.
    -Android 5.X support is limited but work in progress. Cosmetics and style need updated but it is functional. Please report back any inconveniences and crashes.
    -Android 10 support has been added but we are monitoring performance and compatibility.
    -Adaptive Shape Views and Adaptive Icon performance may vary on devices.

Changelog
    -A detailed changelog can be found in the application settings. It is written in html so translation is your responsibility, html can be copied.

Donations
    / Pledges
    -Yearly pledges have been implemented in the app. You are not obligated for any reason to purchase these but if you want regular updates, its recommended. Pledges keep the project alive and a few cups of coffee or a beer is sent my way (depending on time of day).

Downloads

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gocalsd.symphlyx

Xda Labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.gocalsd.symphlyx

Telegram: Support channel can be found in the app settings

Bug Reports / Request
    Please use the telegram channel or xda forums for bug reports and request. Do not use the Google Play ratings as a place for this stuff.

While making request, take into consideration how itl affect performance. We are keeping Android Go as our target OS. If itl consume memory or increase size massively , im not interested. We are aiming to keep customization minimal and the launcher simple but their could be different ways to approach currently implemented features, and id love to hear your ideas.
    Project update: 02/24/20
    Things are going accordingly to plan. However, I planned for the beta to be active by the end of the month however that's not going to happen because of a few things happening in the background.

I don't wanna say to much about the project but its looking pretty awesome. Improved predictive apps, improved smooth scrolling, improved drawer tabs, reworked notification listener and badges, new app sheet and more.

I will open a new thread for V2 as alot will be changing and anything regarding V1 will be disregarded.
    Android Go Nokia 1 performance demonstration

Nokia 1 and Essential Phone performance comparison

Quick Preview of Symphlyx (Latest build)

8/11/19

Il be uploading a new video soon comparing performance on a variety of devices using Symphlyx Official
    Just an update on the project. There is still no release date for version 2.0 but things are coming along with the rewrite. Here are some screens from development.

Here we see the first look at the new companion page, a revised navigation menu, the new sheet menu brining multi-purpose features and Groups(folders) feature in concept design.

I'm currently experimenting with individual icon editing as well. Its become a core feature requirement over the years and figured i would tackle this in GCA Launcher V2 with the new sheet menu. In the preview, Icons have their adaptive backgrounds toggled to show proof of concept.

There are alot of changes i have planned and hopefully it'll make a new launcher experience we will look forward to this year.
    I plan to release a new update this weekend if the tracked bugs we have found in the new build are fixed in time. If not, I will wait till next weekend.

I will also be renaming the launcher and designing a new icon. Originally, Symphlyx was to be a lite version of Sapphyx Launcher but its grown to be more than that and alot has changed in the background.

There is currently a bug were Pledges cannot be purchased, i will be looking to correct this as well as users gaining a "title" when the launcher has detected a pledge has been purchased.

Right now, development is focusing on touch up and finalization of the few new things ive added this week. Categorizing the launcher settings was a step toward making the launcher feel like a launcher. The next step after that was to implement a menu that was more based on Material Components than a laggy bottomsheet. The new "work" tab makes the app drawer feel more pixel like and more professional. Menu items have been moved around to proper locations i felt was best and ground work has been laid for future customization to gestures and backup and restore functionality. Cyanea fixes have been implemented to allow better themeing and app drawer performance has been slightly improved as well as launcher standby performance.

Theirs a few things up my sleeve i am experimenting with that will come later. Im just see how users react to each new implementation before going forward with large feature placements.