Can't unlock Note 2 : Goes to Recovery w. "No Command"

Search This thread
Feb 19, 2010
Hello!

Just joined the Note 2 family buy buying one of these babies off eBay. The phone was sold locked (both carrier and root access), but worked perfectly with my Tmobile SIM card, so I'm wondering if it was already rooted. When I used a root detector app, it said it wasnt.

So, I'm following the directions for rooting here: Now, I'm trying to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2143479

...and I can't get my phone to recover in the way a Note 2 does when not rooted. Instead of my device giving me a warning when accessing Recovery and going ahead with ODIN, instead it brings me to a Recovery menu (usual settings: reboot, apply ADB update, etc) with a Droid on its back and a Caution symbol saying "No Command", and obviously ODIN isn't talking to the phone, since its straight in Recovery.

I download the OTA 4.3 update a few days ago. Did that also change the way recovery (and thus rooting) works?
Is it possible that the last owner had rooted his phone, and masked it by redownloading to Stock and somehow screwing up Recovery? Is there any fix if that's the case?

Thanks!

EDIT: Now there's a security feature blocking my root...guessing because of the 4.3 update. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2010
Have you tried using the other volume button with the three finger salute? Should put you into download mode for Odin.

-> Sent from my mind to your screen.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Goof! Yeah, you're right. Thought the guide said Volume Up...

Anyway, got a new problem: Went through ODIN, and my phone apparently blocked the installation? I didn't even know if that was possible...

Security Notice:
An Attempt to secure.....blahblah. Saying its blocked. How do I turn this off? The only option is to sign their terms and agreements to their blocking.

Superuser is still there, but crashes in each attempt I make to open it, with the same Samsung warning popping up.

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it was a software bypass, so updating Superuser worked. Thanks!

Last edited: