Possibly another OTA soon arriving for International WiFi calling!

Search This thread

mnuttall87

Apr 29, 2014
Article didn't make it clear on whether this was an OTA or this is a behind the scenes feature that Sprint will "flip on" on their side of the network. Interesting/cool either way.

Reactions: kmcphee1

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Article didn't make it clear on whether this was an OTA or this is a behind the scenes feature that Sprint will "flip on" on their side of the network. Interesting/cool either way.

That is actually very true. Hopefully we won't need another OTA and it will be a "behind the scenes feature" that Sprint can rollout to WiFI calling enabled phones.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
That is actually very true. Hopefully we won't need another OTA and it will be a "behind the scenes feature" that Sprint can rollout to WiFI calling enabled phones.

It will likely be an ota to route called over WiFi rather than mobile network.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Great if it does, but the follow up question will be whether or not they will charge int'l rates for it.
If that's a no, that's a BIG win for me.

mmark27

Jun 16, 2010
Great if it does, but the follow up question will be whether or not they will charge int'l rates for it.
If that's a no, that's a BIG win for me.

That's a very good question as it wasn't mentioned that they'd be "free" or count against minutes/texts allotments in that presser. Hmmm.....I just assumed WiFi calling would be free. Let's hope.

Also, to me this seems like it would be a backend routing fix and not another OTA.

Last edited:

bryanu

Dec 1, 2010
I'm assuming it'd be free.

Why? Many VoIP providers charge for international still. Grant it they are very low rates but at some point a cross-over has to happen still.

Does AT&T, Comcast or other VoIP providers give free unlimited international calling with phone service? ;)

That said, this probably won't require an OTA, but maybe.

Your account has a feature on it called WiFi Calling and if you drill into it the thing specifically says USA/America, my bet is they just upgrade the feature code which allows the phone to actually pass the international call.

Domestic they give free because it technically rides VoIP anyway and you using your WiFi actually helps keep half the load off the network as only the receiving party puts load on it now.

International involves other companies/parties etc. who charge for this long distance type calls.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Allow me to clarify my original point.

I think international wifi calling (from domestic to international) will not probably change. It can but not by much.
The bigger question that I have is wifi calling from international and whether this will be charged international roaming or not.
Because I'll tell you that runs up VERY quickly, especially when you don't rent a phone.

mmark27

Jun 16, 2010
Allow me to clarify my original point.

I think international wifi calling (from domestic to international) will not probably change. It can but not by much.
The bigger question that I have is wifi calling from international and whether this will be charged international roaming or not.
Because I'll tell you that runs up VERY quickly, especially when you don't rent a phone.

Do you mean on a US Sprint handset WiFi calling from international WiFi location to US number (in US or in international location)? I think that'll be free.

I would bet calling from your US based number to an international number while international (ie, call hotel in Ireland while in Ireland from your Sprint WiFi phone) would cost $$ still.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.