Working USB tethering for Froyo and Eclair Stones [update 02-06-2012]

Search This thread

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Update 02-06-2012

Dead download links removed, new mirror added.

Update 31-03-2011

Sources added. (usbt.7z)

Update 16-12-2010

Added new C version suitable both for Froyo and Eclair (2.1)stones.

No need to upgrade the older B version, nothing changes for froyo users.

To avoid confusion the IP needed to get the tethering are the same of froyo.

The SW is untested on eclair 2.0.x

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usb tether is working natively on the latest Cyanogen ROMs from kabaldan, Froyo mod from 89luca89, and derivatives, but is still not 100% reliable and is not so handy to use, so an updated release of my app still makes sense.

So, as usual, install the app, put the phone in portal mode and configure manually (one time only operation) the IP on the PC side as the screenshot: (beware the IPs are changed from the previous release)

2vsp00p.png

Then just tap to the icon.

The same IPs is needed to use the native froyo function

The application doesn't rely on the MS compatible NDIS lan (called usb0 on froyo milestones) but on the motorola usb networking (called usb0 on eclair and lan0 on froyo) so you must have the usual Motorola drivers installed on the PC. (I suggest to keep them handy on the Milestone's SD card).

The application is based on my previous release for eclair, which in turn is based on the well known android wired tether 1.1 application.

The app doesn't works on eclair milestones, nor on any other brand android phones.

AFAIK isn't working (yet) on Linux or macos due to lack of driver.

You must unisnstall android wired theter (if you have it installed) and any older release of this app before install this SW.

The program should live side by side with the native app, w/o any problem

Unlike the native function you can disconnect and reconnect the cable w/o the need of restart the function.

Unlike the native function you will have a speedometer and a session data counter.

So I hope you appreciate this little effort.

latest APK "C" version download

for sources see the attachement below

Attachments

• usbt.7z
    489.8 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Due to the changes in the latest release of cyanogen (0.04-10.11.20), this sw is broken on that rom.

I'll wait to a kabaldan's reply, before recompile the sw.

Last edited:

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
For Cyano build 0.04 (and later) you can use the native usb tether function.

You have just to configure manually your lan as above, but with differnt IPs

IP 192.168.42.1

GW and DNS 192.168.42.129

As above the phone must be in portal mode before enabling the native usb tether.

Last edited:

hahaboy

Apr 29, 2008
For Cyano build 0.04 (and later) you can use the native usb tether function.

You have just to configure manually your lan as above, but with differnt IPs

IP 192.168.42.1

GW and DNS 192.168.42.129

As above the phone must be in portal mode before enabling the native usb tether.

tried change to portal mode n enable the usb tether mode, but nothing on my laptop.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
when i connect usb with my laptop my laptop cant detect any modem

There isn't any modem to detect or to use, there must be a new lan card.

You must have the Motorola drivers installed.

The new flavor of native tethering works exactly like my SW: it uses the Motorola networking drivers rather than the microsoft rndis driver.

The latter is already present on win seven/vista/linux, the former must be installed manually.

Last edited:

crazychung

Dec 2, 2010
Hello:

after updated to 0.04 or 0.05, the native usb tethering is not working anymore.

I have enable the portal mode and plug the usb cable and neither the native usb tehering nor solutor tethering apk works. My XP computer does not detects any new hardware. and thus I cannot install any driver in my computer (tetherxp.inf)

Last edited:

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
I'll take a look in to it.

BTW as stated in the first post tetherxp.inf has nothing to do with the milestones's tethering. It works with the motorola drivers, not the MS ones.

At least until 0.4.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Just tried rc5, nothing is changed from 04 it still works.

P.S. have you read the first post ?

You must use the current version and the updated IPs to use the sw on 0.4 or 0.5

crazychung

Dec 2, 2010
It works on after installing the below driver on 10-12-04 build:

Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_01.01.21_32_bit_4.5.0.msi
or
USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.5.0.zip
I cant post the link, try google the above If U dont know

Thank you for your work!

Last edited:

BryanChung

Jun 12, 2010
Singapore
Thanks for update (although I'm a Froyo user) =P

But care to explain a little as to how your app will make the tether more stable compared to native usb tether? :) Just wondering. =P

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 02-06-2012

Dead download links removed, new mirror added.

Update 31-03-2011

Sources added. (usbt.7z)

Update 16-12-2010

Added new C version suitable both for Froyo and Eclair (2.1)stones.

No need to upgrade the older B version, nothing changes for froyo users.

To avoid confusion the IP needed to get the tethering are the same of froyo.

The SW is untested on eclair 2.0.x

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Usb tether is working natively on the latest Cyanogen ROMs from kabaldan, Froyo mod from 89luca89, and derivatives, but is still not 100% reliable and is not so handy to use, so an updated release of my app still makes sense.

So, as usual, install the app, put the phone in portal mode and configure manually (one time only operation) the IP on the PC side as the screenshot: (beware the IPs are changed from the previous release)

2vsp00p.png

Then just tap to the icon.

The same IPs is needed to use the native froyo function

The application doesn't rely on the MS compatible NDIS lan (called usb0 on froyo milestones) but on the motorola usb networking (called usb0 on eclair and lan0 on froyo) so you must have the usual Motorola drivers installed on the PC. (I suggest to keep them handy on the Milestone's SD card).

The application is based on my previous release for eclair, which in turn is based on the well known android wired tether 1.1 application.

The app doesn't works on eclair milestones, nor on any other brand android phones.

AFAIK isn't working (yet) on Linux or macos due to lack of driver.

You must unisnstall android wired theter (if you have it installed) and any older release of this app before install this SW.

The program should live side by side with the native app, w/o any problem

Unlike the native function you can disconnect and reconnect the cable w/o the need of restart the function.

Unlike the native function you will have a speedometer and a session data counter.

So I hope you appreciate this little effort.

latest APK "C" version download

for sources see the attachement below
    Sources uploaded (look at the opening post) .