Search This thread

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
attachment.php
KatKiss ROM
attachment.php

MarshMallow 6.0.1 Release​
Asus TF101​

Please note that this version is made for and tested on the TF101 model.

This rom is an aosp based rom with my own additions on top of it.

The main motto of the rom being Kiss. Even though the Meerkat could give you a kiss, it stands for Keeps it Sweet and Simple too
Which means that just like the other K.A.T stuff, the rom's main goal is efficiency, speed/res ponsiveness,
while not adding bloated features that will slow things down :)

DOWNLOADS:

Install Instructions:
These builds are designed to be installed with a recent recovery.
TWRP 2.8.1 is recommended: available here
Older versions of TWRP like 2.3.x won't work.

• Backup everything !
  • Go to recovery

[*]The first time you install: Format /data (full wipe doesn't format)
    (you can skip this step if you're already on the same main version of KatKiss, if ever you encounter a problem redo a full clean install and format /data and try again before reporting )

Then *EVERYTIME* flash (all together):
  • rom zip
  • SuperSU zip
    [*]gapps zip

• Wipe cache/dalvik
  • Reboot

Rom Main Features:
MultiWindow Support with 2, 3 or 4 panes setup
High speed and responsive oriented
High performance and overclocked KatKernel included
Dock keyboard Support with full special/function keys support
Global Keyboard Shortcuts / KeyOverride Macro association (See post #2 for more info)
HDMI Support
Battery Level Indicator & Dock Battery support + Mods (icon/Text/%)
CIFS, ext4, NTFS, ExFat support
RRO Theme Engine - Themes & more info
Native Android FSTRIM + Manual scripts for Database optimization and fstrim (see post #2)
Media Scanner Filters
Navbar with left, balanced (PixelC like) or middle aligned buttons.
All Wifi channels support
Integrated cpu & io performance settings panel
Custom Navbars buttons long press actions
Advanced power menu with reboot options.
User Immersive mode and actions with automode when docked setting
Advanced per application permission management (AppOps)
Ethernet-auto support
Misc utils Busybox, rsync...
Custom Quick Settings tiles

ChangeLog: http://public.timduru.org/Android/KatKiss/6.0/ChangeLog.html
Rom Source: https://github.com/timduru (branch katkiss-6.0)
Credits:
Original banner concept by i9apps, Bootanimation by mgeniusm, original drawing by BBF
Chainfire for SuperSU

WebPage
How to report
What to include in the report

Disclaimer: The usual ;)
Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

XDA:DevDB Information
KatKiss-MarshMallow, ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Contributors
timduru
Source Code: https://github.com/timduru

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2016-02-19
Last Updated 2018-10-19

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Tips

First Install
Make sure you do a format /data the first time you install the rom
(backup your internal storage first if you want to keep something)

The first boot after a rom flash can take a few minutes as ART is slower than dalvik to optimize the applications, but is faster after the 1st time.
(First boot takes ~4-5 minutes without gapps and 10+ minutes with gapps)
Also keep in mind that after a fresh install, it might take a bit of time to get up to full speed as media scanner & google are checking/scanning and restoring stuff.

Bluetooth
Bluetooth might require to be turned on twice before it scans and displays the available devices.

Wallpaper Modes
Different Wallpaper modes have been added in Settings => Display
** Normal (regular android mode)
** Disable System Wallpaper rendering (set as default)
** Disable Wallpaper service

2nd setting will prevent the wallpaper being rendered by the system making things faster and also freeing resources
That's the recommended setting you want to use if you are using a launcher that has internal wallpaper rendering
The Default included Launcher3 has internal rendering
For Nova: Go to its Settings => Desktop => Wallpaper Scrolling => Force, then set a wallpaper.
(You will see a black wallpaper if you're not using a launcher that can do internal rendering, If wallpaper is important and that you want to keep your current launcher, then switch back to the 1st setting)

Youtube
Depending on your network and tablet load, 720p videos might not play or take longer to buffer.
Switch to 480p in that case.
Some videos are also 720p60fps so you might need to switch back to 480p for these too.
You can also try an older youtube version and disable auto updates: youtube-v5.0.21

Google Play Movies
Our current Widevine DRM libs are not compatible in MM.
So you can't play a movie on the tablet with Google Play Movies as it requires that.
Starting a movie to play on chromecast should be fine as the drm will be the chromecast one in that case.

Now On Tap
Now On Tap requires the nano opengapps version, however our default /system partition is too small to accommodate them.
So if you want to install the nano or bigger opengapps version, you'll need to repartition the storage space first using Bigwheelie for extended partitions
Then activate Now on Tap from google now settings

Hardware keyboard layouts
More languages have been added in the default asusec keyboard
Set the keyboard layout through Settings => Language & Input => asusec => setup keyboard layouts
These also allow live switching without reboot with ctrl + space

Global Key Override/Shorcut Mecanism
Available in Settings => Dock => Add Key Override Actions

This will allow you not only to redefine function keys assignment, and other special keys actions,
but you'll also be able to assign global macro actions / app launch to any key + Meta key combination (shift Left or Right , ctrl..)

You can also add multiple actions to one key combination, simply click again on the "+" button for the same key combination.
For example if you want to assign to one key combination a list of action to run before going to bed for example, like: turn wifi off, Bluetooth off, mute sound, and turn screen off, you can do that :)
Note that starting multiple applications with one key is kinda a miss and hit for the moment due to some mecanism in android that seems to prevent applications to start too close to each others.

Storage (fstrim) and Database optimization:
Fstrim is native since 4.3 and will happen in the background if your tablet is idle / sleeping and that your battery is > 70%
There is also a script to run it manually in the rom: /etc/kat/optimizestorage

To optimize the Database: /etc/kat/optimizedb

To run both, open a terminal and run:
su
/etc/kat/optimize

Last edited:

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
MultiWindow

Multiwindow allows you to split the screen in 2, 3 or 4 panes
you can switch an app back and forth between multiwindow mode and regular mode while it's running

attachment.php

NavBar:
- To switch between full screen and split View you can use the
attachment.php
NavBar Buttons
The app that currently has the focus (or the latest used app if you're on the Desktop) will be used for the main pane (left and/or top depending on the mode and rotation)
And it will lay the remaining most recently used apps in the rest of the available 1-2-3 panes depending on the icon you click

- If you press a multiwindow icon again when in splitview mode, it'll bring the focused app back to fullscreen mode.

- To swap the 2 latest focused apps location / pane , long press on the
attachment.php
NavBar Button

- To change focus simply Tap on the app or use the
attachment.php
NavBar Button
That button can also be used in non multiwindow mode to switch quickly between the 2 most recent apps.

Global Actions:
Actions to switch the app between fullscreen / splitview 2-3-4 panes, swap, or switch between the 2 most recent apps have been added
so you can bind them to a key / key combination with the Global KeyOverride or long press on navbar button too.

Note: Most apps works ok in splitview mode, but some of them might crash or not refresh correctly sometime.

To manually position an app in one of the pane:
For the moment either reorder your apps before clicking on an auto mode icon,
or you can also activate the default Marshmallow Multiwindow mode to get extra icons to positions an app in a specific pane (activate it in developer options )
Then position the apps with the icons from the Recents screen. (default MM recents icons are for 2 or 4 panes)

Last edited:

abufrejoval

Dec 26, 2010
Frankfurt
I'm a little afraid to try, but I know I will

Officially my Transformer is one of the oldest devices I own and should really show its age.

But it just doesn't, it sets itself apart from the two other Tegra 2 devices (Notion Ink Adam and Acer Iconia) by being a thoroughly enjoyable device, which reacts very promptly to all input and still is mechanically perfect with great battery life.

Some hardware ingredients like DRAM and Flash seem to be made of better stuff (some benchmark show twice the memory bandwidth than Acer Iconia and NI Adam and the eMMC is lots better than Acer (Adam is notoriously terrible)), but mostly it must be the constant tweaking you (and Google?) have put in, because the performance only got better and better, even if the applications typically got fatter and fatter and 1GB of DRAM is no longer as plenty as it used to be with Android 2.2.

I surely can't say the same for my Nexus 7, which started being somewhat snappier than the Transformer and turned out pretty bad with LP even after turning off the journalling on ext4.

Marshmallow has disappointed me so far (only Nexus 10 migrated yet), mostly because my standard launcher SPB shell 3D no longer works on it and I just like it better than stock or any other.

And then I just don't see any significant improvements beyond Lollipop or rather CM 12 with all the privacy stuff already included. And I just love the fast task switching, which is part of the multiwindow support and which I have on a keyboard shortcut (hope it comes soon).

Somehow I also doubt that Nougat will be better in any sense except "better" Google integration.

But since I'm very much afraid of operating anything without the latest security patches, I'll just have to make the switch.
And I'm sure it will be as perfect as the current LP by the time Nougat comes out.

Thanks Timduru for making it possible

Reactions: lord hk

cwouter

Feb 20, 2016
Thank you. what I've failed to understand, do you need to install a separate root tool? Or is it included in the recommended recovery tool? It's still as i bought it in 2011... Thanks!

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Thank you. what I've failed to understand, do you need to install a separate root tool? Or is it included in the recommended recovery tool? It's still as i bought it in 2011... Thanks!

Just follow the procedure from the 1st post:
once you have the recovery installed:
the first time: format /data
then install all 3 zips at once: rom + supersu + gapps
then reboot.

cwouter

Feb 20, 2016
Just follow the procedure from the 1st post:
once you have the recovery installed:
the first time: format /data
then install all 3 zips at once: rom + supersu + gapps
then reboot.

It sounds so easy... First I don't really know how to install the recovery (hence, i have been spending 'only' app 7 hours on topic by now). I would assume from PWR+VOL- then Vol+ goes to recovery mode, but the device gets stuck with a android red expression mark. I then tried to install the Easyflasher 0.8.3 and managed to first delete the drivers and installed new universal ones. Rebooted and continue to follow the procedure and the Easyflasher on my Windows tells me i have successfully unbricked my Asus Stock. However, when i reboot, it looks all exactly the same, no data lost, no new installation. Then I could, or should?, flash a recovery. However, if i try to do it from the Easyflasher there is only the old TWRP 2.2.1. available and i fail to make use of the downloaded TWRP 2.8.1.1. CLick the Root, doesn't work either.

Then, the frustration goes up and the progress goes down... please advise and push me in the right direction! MUch appreciated!

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
It sounds so easy... First I don't really know how to install the recovery (hence, i have been spending 'only' app 7 hours on topic by now). I would assume from PWR+VOL- then Vol+ goes to recovery mode, but the device gets stuck with a android red expression mark. I then tried to install the Easyflasher 0.8.3 and managed to first delete the drivers and installed new universal ones. Rebooted and continue to follow the procedure and the Easyflasher on my Windows tells me i have successfully unbricked my Asus Stock. However, when i reboot, it looks all exactly the same, no data lost, no new installation. Then I could, or should?, flash a recovery. However, if i try to do it from the Easyflasher there is only the old TWRP 2.2.1. available and i fail to make use of the downloaded TWRP 2.8.1.1. CLick the Root, doesn't work either.

Then, the frustration goes up and the progress goes down... please advise and push me in the right direction! MUch appreciated!

Installing the recovery is not really the focus of this thread, and it has been a really long time since I installed on mine ;)

But what I would do, since you seem to have easyflasher and drivers working:
- Install TWRP 2.2.1 from easyflasher
- reboot to that TWRP 2.2.1
- Install the TWRP 2.8.1.1 flashable zip from TWRP 2.2.1
- reboot to the recovery and it should now be TWRP 2.8.1.1

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Flashed all 3 zip ROM+su+pico but can't boot to Android.
After the Asus logo screen turns black and nothing happens.
Any ideas?

sounds as if the new kernel didn't flash or something.
What recovery are you using ?

Even if the screen goes black you should get adb working after a few minutes, it's still doing things in the background normally.
Try to grab me a logcat + dmesg at that point.

EDIT: Found the problem, yeah kernel not flashing:
Flash it separatly for the moment: Tim_KatKernel_122_MM6.0.zip

that will be fixed in the next version.

Attachments

• Tim_KatKernel_122_MM6.0.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,161
Last edited:

old.splatterhand

Recognized Contributor
Nov 4, 2010
Saturn III
HTC One (M8)
Android Wear
Flashed all 3 zip ROM+su+pico but can't boot to Android.
After the Asus logo screen turns black and nothing happens.
Any ideas?
Unfortunately me too.
The only step from install note was the "Format" because of lack of time and data cable to copy everything from internal sd to my pc (only way for me is over the air with My Phone Explorer right now).
Tried 19 & 19b together with SuperSu 2.52 and gapps-arm-pico in one flash.
Backlight of screen is on, but then nothing happens over an hour.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

sounds as if the new kernel didn't flash or something.
What recovery are you using ?

Even if the screen goes black you should get adb working after a few minutes, it's still doing things in the background normally.
Try to grab me a logcat + dmesg at that point.

EDIT: Found the problem, yeah kernel not flashing:
Flash it separated for the moment: Tim_KatKernel_122_MM6.0.zip

that will be fixed in the next version.
Will do immediately!

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Just booted fine, into MM :)

Reactions: timduru

cwouter

Feb 20, 2016
Installing the recovery is not really the focus of this thread, and it has been a really long time since I installed on mine ;)

But what I would do, since you seem to have easyflasher and drivers working:
- Install TWRP 2.2.1 from easyflasher
- reboot to that TWRP 2.2.1
- Install the TWRP 2.8.1.1 flashable zip from TWRP 2.2.1
- reboot to the recovery and it should now be TWRP 2.8.1.1

Sounds like a plan, i tried and Easyflasher tells me it runs Wheelie,NV Flash then 'finished new reboot into recovery'. I do so, but android gets stuck in the recovery with an red expression mark, then it'll boot normal again.

Might it be that root access is blocking it? The Easyflasher root access tells me to first falsh recovery and put the superuser on sd.
I have installed both TWRP and SuperSu but both run into issues: the first tells me 'root is required' then closes, the second tells me 'no SU binary installed' then closes.

I then decided to go for a very crappy 1-click root access, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1689193, with an even worse http://www.4shared.com/postDownload/ja5cFLAL/1-Click_Transformer_Root_11.html. This seems to have succeeded and i got root access (!) and the above described issues on TWRP and SuperSu were not gone.

Then in TWRP i couldn't select the zipfile TWRP 2.8.1, and after telling TWRP i had a TF101 i could select an older version like 2.3, which he was going to download. I had to confirm a path but decided to abort. I then tried to boot recovery but unfortunately, and not as i expected, it run into the same red expression mark. I then decided to run APX mode again and see if easyflasher could access root now. Also negative. Then run normal ABD mode and checked if i could do something with SuperSu, also negative.

So it seems my problem is that TWRP doesn't allow me to select the right zip file and as a result i can't run any recovery... any idea?

UPDATE: going back to apx flash the default TWRP2.2.1 then reboot to recovery succeeds in Easyflasher but the same red expression mark with Android. so also negative

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php
    KatKiss ROM
    attachment.php

MarshMallow 6.0.1 Release​
    Asus TF101​

Please note that this version is made for and tested on the TF101 model.

This rom is an aosp based rom with my own additions on top of it.

The main motto of the rom being Kiss. Even though the Meerkat could give you a kiss, it stands for Keeps it Sweet and Simple too
    Which means that just like the other K.A.T stuff, the rom's main goal is efficiency, speed/res ponsiveness,
    while not adding bloated features that will slow things down :)

DOWNLOADS:

Install Instructions:
    These builds are designed to be installed with a recent recovery.
    TWRP 2.8.1 is recommended: available here
    Older versions of TWRP like 2.3.x won't work.

• Backup everything !
    • Go to recovery

[*]The first time you install: Format /data (full wipe doesn't format)
      (you can skip this step if you're already on the same main version of KatKiss, if ever you encounter a problem redo a full clean install and format /data and try again before reporting )

Then *EVERYTIME* flash (all together):
    • rom zip
    • SuperSU zip
      [*]gapps zip

• Wipe cache/dalvik
    • Reboot

Rom Main Features:
    MultiWindow Support with 2, 3 or 4 panes setup
    High speed and responsive oriented
    High performance and overclocked KatKernel included
    Dock keyboard Support with full special/function keys support
    Global Keyboard Shortcuts / KeyOverride Macro association (See post #2 for more info)
    HDMI Support
    Battery Level Indicator & Dock Battery support + Mods (icon/Text/%)
    CIFS, ext4, NTFS, ExFat support
    RRO Theme Engine - Themes & more info
    Native Android FSTRIM + Manual scripts for Database optimization and fstrim (see post #2)
    Media Scanner Filters
    Navbar with left, balanced (PixelC like) or middle aligned buttons.
    All Wifi channels support
    Integrated cpu & io performance settings panel
    Custom Navbars buttons long press actions
    Advanced power menu with reboot options.
    User Immersive mode and actions with automode when docked setting
    Advanced per application permission management (AppOps)
    Ethernet-auto support
    Misc utils Busybox, rsync...
    Custom Quick Settings tiles

ChangeLog: http://public.timduru.org/Android/KatKiss/6.0/ChangeLog.html
    Rom Source: https://github.com/timduru (branch katkiss-6.0)
    Credits:
    Original banner concept by i9apps, Bootanimation by mgeniusm, original drawing by BBF
    Chainfire for SuperSU

WebPage
    How to report
    What to include in the report

Disclaimer: The usual ;)
    Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible for any damages caused to your Transformer or to yourself.
    In most cases if something breaks, flashing a rom on top should fix it.

XDA:DevDB Information
    KatKiss-MarshMallow, ROM for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Contributors
    timduru
    Source Code: https://github.com/timduru

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2016-02-19
    Last Updated 2018-10-19
    Tips

First Install
    Make sure you do a format /data the first time you install the rom
    (backup your internal storage first if you want to keep something)

The first boot after a rom flash can take a few minutes as ART is slower than dalvik to optimize the applications, but is faster after the 1st time.
    (First boot takes ~4-5 minutes without gapps and 10+ minutes with gapps)
    Also keep in mind that after a fresh install, it might take a bit of time to get up to full speed as media scanner & google are checking/scanning and restoring stuff.

Bluetooth
    Bluetooth might require to be turned on twice before it scans and displays the available devices.

Wallpaper Modes
    Different Wallpaper modes have been added in Settings => Display
    ** Normal (regular android mode)
    ** Disable System Wallpaper rendering (set as default)
    ** Disable Wallpaper service

2nd setting will prevent the wallpaper being rendered by the system making things faster and also freeing resources
    That's the recommended setting you want to use if you are using a launcher that has internal wallpaper rendering
    The Default included Launcher3 has internal rendering
    For Nova: Go to its Settings => Desktop => Wallpaper Scrolling => Force, then set a wallpaper.
    (You will see a black wallpaper if you're not using a launcher that can do internal rendering, If wallpaper is important and that you want to keep your current launcher, then switch back to the 1st setting)

Youtube
    Depending on your network and tablet load, 720p videos might not play or take longer to buffer.
    Switch to 480p in that case.
    Some videos are also 720p60fps so you might need to switch back to 480p for these too.
    You can also try an older youtube version and disable auto updates: youtube-v5.0.21

Google Play Movies
    Our current Widevine DRM libs are not compatible in MM.
    So you can't play a movie on the tablet with Google Play Movies as it requires that.
    Starting a movie to play on chromecast should be fine as the drm will be the chromecast one in that case.

Now On Tap
    Now On Tap requires the nano opengapps version, however our default /system partition is too small to accommodate them.
    So if you want to install the nano or bigger opengapps version, you'll need to repartition the storage space first using Bigwheelie for extended partitions
    Then activate Now on Tap from google now settings

Hardware keyboard layouts
    More languages have been added in the default asusec keyboard
    Set the keyboard layout through Settings => Language & Input => asusec => setup keyboard layouts
    These also allow live switching without reboot with ctrl + space

Global Key Override/Shorcut Mecanism
    Available in Settings => Dock => Add Key Override Actions

This will allow you not only to redefine function keys assignment, and other special keys actions,
    but you'll also be able to assign global macro actions / app launch to any key + Meta key combination (shift Left or Right , ctrl..)

You can also add multiple actions to one key combination, simply click again on the "+" button for the same key combination.
    For example if you want to assign to one key combination a list of action to run before going to bed for example, like: turn wifi off, Bluetooth off, mute sound, and turn screen off, you can do that :)
    Note that starting multiple applications with one key is kinda a miss and hit for the moment due to some mecanism in android that seems to prevent applications to start too close to each others.

Storage (fstrim) and Database optimization:
    Fstrim is native since 4.3 and will happen in the background if your tablet is idle / sleeping and that your battery is > 70%
    There is also a script to run it manually in the rom: /etc/kat/optimizestorage

To optimize the Database: /etc/kat/optimizedb

To run both, open a terminal and run:
    su
    /etc/kat/optimize
    New Version #026

attachment.php
    New rom version available: KatKiss-6.0_026.zip

Note that since the SuperSU app is updating, if it's missing you need to install it back from the playstore (even after flashing the supersu zip with the rom).

ChangeLog:

- Upgrade to Marshmallow-MR2-release
    - Update to May Marshmallow release
    - Update to June Marshmallow release
    - Soft Keyboard: disable physical ALT Key mapping by default
    New Version #029

attachment.php
    New rom version available: KatKiss-6.0_029.zip

Note that since the SuperSU app is updating, if it's missing you need to install it back from the playstore (even after flashing the supersu zip with the rom).

ChangeLog:
    - Update to August Marshmallow release
    - add more optimization flags
    - Launcher3: use better icon ratio based on native icon size to avoid fuzzyness.
    - Launcher3: use higher res for app drawer icon on mdpi
    - Launcher3: materialize icon
    - av/audiopolicy: squashed support for pre-kitkat audio blobs
    - native/egl: bring back EGL_WORKAROUND_BUG_10194508
    - local_manifest: misc cleanups & reorg
    - EmojiAltPhysicalKeyDetector: kill logspam
    - art/dalvik: misc fixes & optimizations
    - webview: add google webview support
    - add back org.apache.http.legacy.jar for compat with apps not updated to API23
    - update BookmarkSync
    - TF700T: dedicated build with new aapt res
    - TF201/TF700T: fix default bluetooth device name
    - TF201/TF300T/TF700T: misc obsolete flags cleanups & fixes
    MultiWindow

Multiwindow allows you to split the screen in 2, 3 or 4 panes
    you can switch an app back and forth between multiwindow mode and regular mode while it's running

attachment.php

NavBar:
    - To switch between full screen and split View you can use the
    attachment.php
    NavBar Buttons
    The app that currently has the focus (or the latest used app if you're on the Desktop) will be used for the main pane (left and/or top depending on the mode and rotation)
    And it will lay the remaining most recently used apps in the rest of the available 1-2-3 panes depending on the icon you click

- If you press a multiwindow icon again when in splitview mode, it'll bring the focused app back to fullscreen mode.

- To swap the 2 latest focused apps location / pane , long press on the
    attachment.php
    NavBar Button

- To change focus simply Tap on the app or use the
    attachment.php
    NavBar Button
    That button can also be used in non multiwindow mode to switch quickly between the 2 most recent apps.

Global Actions:
    Actions to switch the app between fullscreen / splitview 2-3-4 panes, swap, or switch between the 2 most recent apps have been added
    so you can bind them to a key / key combination with the Global KeyOverride or long press on navbar button too.

Note: Most apps works ok in splitview mode, but some of them might crash or not refresh correctly sometime.

To manually position an app in one of the pane:
    For the moment either reorder your apps before clicking on an auto mode icon,
    or you can also activate the default Marshmallow Multiwindow mode to get extra icons to positions an app in a specific pane (activate it in developer options )
    Then position the apps with the icons from the Recents screen. (default MM recents icons are for 2 or 4 panes)