[Release] Root the Palm phone

Search This thread

bensdeals

Jan 25, 2007
Got my phone in late August, and it always worked well with Google fi, autodetecting the apn. To be fair, the apn that is listed is correct, mobile data is just not working. I can tell it worked up until just a few days ago, and I did the 1AMD update long before that. Really no changes were made that I know of except for possibly having the phone on a wireless charger overnight. It was hot.

Chiming back in on my last post, a master reset fixed it. No clue what had happened where it stopped working.

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Hi! I just got updated to 2AGG-0 version. Is it rootable?

I can't find anything about 2AGG-0 firmware, the last software version on Verizon's site is 1AMG. My phone jumped from 2AGA to 2AGG-0.
"system" eats battery as hell, phone dies in 4 hours no matter I'm using it or not. That happens both on 2AGA and 2AGG-0 firmwares, bloatware from Verizon and Google turned off via adb shell.
Guess rooting the Palm is my only choice, but don't know if 2AGG-0 software version is rootable. Need ur help. Thx!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200309-122738.png
    Screenshot_20200309-122738.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 167

pmko1917

Jan 31, 2020
hi

does anyone know how to remove/change the boot image of "Your device has loaded a different operating system"?

thanks in advance

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
Hi! I just got updated to 2AGG-0 version. Is it rootable?

I can't find anything about 2AGG-0 firmware, the last software version on Verizon's site is 1AMG. My phone jumped from 2AGA to 2AGG-0.
"system" eats battery as hell, phone dies in 4 hours no matter I'm using it or not. That happens both on 2AGA and 2AGG-0 firmwares, bloatware from Verizon and Google turned off via adb shell.
Guess rooting the Palm is my only choice, but don't know if 2AGG-0 software version is rootable. Need ur help. Thx!

It is.

There's lots more bloatware removeable when you root. See the debloat script.

Reactions: al07th

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
It is.

There's lots more bloatware removeable when you root. See the debloat script.

Thanks fo the answer. Can u explain me 15th step?
14. There should be a file called B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn if not look for a file that starts with a B it will be the boot.img
15. You will need to push that to an android device and patch it with magisk manager.

How do I patch this "B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn" file with the magisk? And which file should i patch exactly "B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn" or "boot.img" ?
As far as I can understand, I must move one of those files to another Android Phone (I have Xiaomi Mi A1), that's already rooted, and installed magisk manager on it? Thx

CaptainElwood

Jan 6, 2012
Thanks fo the answer. Can u explain me 15th step?
14. There should be a file called B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn if not look for a file that starts with a B it will be the boot.img
15. You will need to push that to an android device and patch it with magisk manager.

How do I patch this "B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn" file with the magisk? And which file should i patch exactly "B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn" or "boot.img" ?
As far as I can understand, I must move one of those files to another Android Phone (I have Xiaomi Mi A1), that's already rooted, and installed magisk manager on it? Thx

You need to have access to an android phone that has Magisk installed (you could use the palm phone but it would be kind of a hassle as you would have to set it up after the reset...just to reset it again). Transfer the boot file to that device then open the magisk app. You will have 2 options, click the top one "Install Magisk" then select the option that is something close to "select file to patch". After that is complete you now have a patched copy of your boot.img. Replace the original with the patched version and continue on with the steps.

capridream

Mar 10, 2009
capri
You need to have access to an android phone that has Magisk installed (you could use the palm phone but it would be kind of a hassle as you would have to set it up after the reset...just to reset it again). Transfer the boot file to that device then open the magisk app. You will have 2 options, click the top one "Install Magisk" then select the option that is something close to "select file to patch". After that is complete you now have a patched copy of your boot.img. Replace the original with the patched version and continue on with the steps.

hi i would like to ask you a question.
i have the patched file.
Now i readed that is on the fota or in the program a new firmware update wich drop the battery.
now i am in 2agk.. if i try to work i think that after i have to upgrade the software
It is possibile to try to work offline ? in same post a readed that some file needed to be replaced in the double folder of the palm flash software.
Can you explain how to do it ? and how to work offline ? is possibile to go back ?

Last edited:

CaptainElwood

Jan 6, 2012
You must have an Internet connection to use the sugar program. I updated to the latest version when I rooted and did not notice any difference with battery. I did notice a great deal of difference when I used the debloat script found on the other palm thread. I even modified it to keep everything to have google play services and I still get significantly better battery life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10633545

Any tips for getting the Palm to show up in Virtualbox? Host OS is Ubuntu 19.10, guest OS is Windows 10 Home.

Running 'lsusb' shows the following:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 1bbb:a00e T & A Mobile Phones Android

Device shows up in file explorer when USB connection mode is set to MTP, but I can't seem to make it available to the guest OS.

EDIT: Fixed by adding myself to the vboxusers group. Now I keep getting Load NPRG Error 5002 in Sugar v11.9.7.
EDIT2: Same error on a Windows 7 32-bit guest OS install.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
I had this initially as well. I've no idea how I resolved it but I couldn't get it working in a virtual. I think I used v12, which has since been blocked. v11.9.7 works (for me) on Windows 10 64 (not in a virtual).

D

Deleted member 10633545

I had this initially as well. I've no idea how I resolved it but I couldn't get it working in a virtual. I think I used v12, which has since been blocked. v11.9.7 works (for me) on Windows 10 64 (not in a virtual).

Hmm, I'm out of ideas at this point then. I just tried a native Windows 10 x64 install with the same issue :(.

Another question I had was what the difference was between the 1Axx and 2Axx versions of the firmware? It seems like 1Axx is for the companion device and 2Axx for standalone. Can 2Axx run on a device that was originally loaded with 1Axx?

snoopy20

Jul 21, 2008
There are little differences, mainly just a newer (patched) kernel. You can force any version by renaming the files (tricks Sugar) but there's little point as all can be rooted.

I believe the 2xxx is for South America. Both companion. The standalone/Europe/China version appears to be a newer Qualcomm chip (535 I think). Someone tried forcing the software for it on this forum and it failed.

I wish I could help with the NPRG Error 5002. Try this, install the v12.xxx, run it (it will try to force an update which will fail), uninstall and reinstall the v11. This is how I got the v11 to work, but whether it was something else I really don't know.

D

Deleted member 10633545

There are little differences, mainly just a newer (patched) kernel. You can force any version by renaming the files (tricks Sugar) but there's little point as all can be rooted.

I believe the 2xxx is for South America. Both companion. The standalone/Europe/China version appears to be a newer Qualcomm chip (535 I think). Someone tried forcing the software for it on this forum and it failed.

I wish I could help with the NPRG Error 5002. Try this, install the v12.xxx, run it (it will try to force an update which will fail), uninstall and reinstall the v11. This is how I got the v11 to work, but whether it was something else I really don't know.

As a last resort I went ahead and did the OTA updates to get the phone to 1AMG and then gave it one last shot on W10 and it finally worked. I don't have a 2nd rooted device so I was hoping someone could patch this for me:

https://we.tl/t-zzxUVUl7QH

capridream

Mar 10, 2009
capri
so in few world and to help other user.
sugat qct can work only online ..... if it is true we have to update to last firmware that mess the battery life (drop the standbay time unti a one or two hours.
Who is currently on 2agk what can do to install magidisk ? When i tryed , the last time with patched boot file it updatet the firmware and after the process i was stuck in bootloop. To fix it i haved ti reinstall the firmware in a new pc.
Now there is some try i can do to go back to first version of the firmware e try to repatch and reupdate or the expert member suggest to stay still and wait ? I readed on other forums that that development is stopped. But i cant understand if is only a problem of version of the firmware or a no way situationi until some people find how to fix.
in the first case the downograde is possibile or not ? tnx

Last edited:

al07th

Jan 12, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
so in few world and to help other user.
sugat qct can work only online ..... if it is true we have to update to last firmware that mess the battery life (drop the standbay time unti a one or two hours.
Who is currently on 2agk what can do to install magidisk ? When i tryed , the last time with patched boot file it updatet the firmware and after the process i was stuck in bootloop. To fix it i haved ti reinstall the firmware in a new pc.
Now there is some try i can do to go back to first version of the firmware e try to repatch and reupdate or the expert member suggest to stay still and wait ? I readed on other forums that that development is stopped. But i cant understand if is only a problem of version of the firmware or a no way situationi until some people find how to fix.
in the first case the downograde is possibile or not ? tnx

As far as I see, both 1Axx and 2Axx are confirmed by forum members to be rooted.
I've got a bootloop on first attempt. The first boot.img was corrupted by Magisk, bad patch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a rooting method for the Plam Phone either the US variant or the Vodafone variant this has not been tested or confirmed working on any other device. This root method may break in the future because it is using a tool that isn't designed for the public i tried getting the firehose packaged with the tool to work in other edl flashing tools but was not able to get it working. So this is all we have for now. There is minimal risk in doing this it just has a lot of steps and it requires a pc running windows.

Note: This will wipe your device so anything stored on it will be lost please backup anything important like photos/contacts/etc

1. Download and install Sugar QCT from here (Be sure to install the usb drivers as well)
    2. Included in the zip is the username and password that you will need to use to run the program please do not post it here.
    3. Boot the device into recovery by turning the device off and then holding the power button until it restarts 3-4 times and boots to recovery
    4. Select the option to go into emergency download mode
    5. Now plug the device into your computer and open Sugar QCT
    6. From the list select pepito/PVG100 (US) or pepito_vdf (Vodafone)
    7. Now select Upgrade this will download the palms firmware package and flash it to the device
    8. When it finishes do not close sugar
    9. Unplug your device and hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
    10. Go to where Sugar QCT is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\)
    11. In there you should see a folder called PVG100-xxxx (The x's are your serial number)
    12. Copy that to your desktop or anywhere else that you like
    13. In the folder, there should be some random looking mbn files these are actually the firmware files just names are randomized to make using them harder.
    16. Once that is done replace the B1AMD0D0CV00.mbn in your copy of the firmware with the patched boot.img
    17. Boot it back into emergency download mode as previously stated
    18. Close and reopen sugar
    19. Copy your firmware copy back into C:\Program Files (x86)\SUGAR QCT_SP_Gotu2\bin\ be sure it is the same folder structure
    20. Now select your model again and then press the upgrade button in sugar this will now flash your modified firmware to the device.
    21. Once it finishes hold the power button for a few minutes so it will restart out of EDL mode, use a rubber band or something to apply pressure to it so you don't have to hold it
    22. When it restarts and powers up then go through setting the phone up and install magisk manager and you're rooted.

Thanks to @StormSeeker1 for telling me about holding the power button for a few minutes to get out of EDL previously you had to let the phone die to get out of it which is a pain.
    Well thanks first to @deadman96385 for sharing this root method.

Next, huge thanks to @rainydaze for his quick response last night to my questions. With his help I was able to finally get my Verizon Palm PVG100 rooted!

So for anyone still interested I'd like to add some tips that helped me get this done along with some troubleshooting.

My main issue was when I had the Palm in edl mode the Sugar app asks to download drivers but then times out with a server error and never downloads them.

But @rainydaze was able to send me a link to the Qualcomm drivers needed for the phone to be recognized while in edl mode (otherwise widows just says unrecognized and the sugar app can't communicate with the phone.)
    Here is the link he sent me:

Once the drivers installed it immediately found my device and started installing them on my old Windows 7 laptop.

Next I chose pvg100 from the drop down and clicked update. This took a very long time (I'm guessing they are not prioritizing their servers to complete these downloads very quickly!)
    So it took almost an hour before it finally downloaded and installed the firmware, and the phone rebooted automatically.
    The reason you want to leave the Sugar app open once it says finished and "successes" 😀 is because the firmware that it just took an hour to download gets deleted right when the app is closed. So that's why you want to copy to your desktop or somewhere else first.

I saw some questions on renaming the "B" mbn file (which is the stock boot image). So this might be helpful:

1)Copy the "B".mbn file to any android phone that has magisk installed (even if it's not rooted that's fine, you are just using the patch feature of Magisk).

2) Click the Magisk install button (the first one, not the app one)

3)Choose Select and patch a file (it can patch a file with the extension of mbn and doesn't need to be renamed yet)

4)The magisk patched file will have an "img" extension instead of mbn. So on your computer you have to enable the option to see the file extension on all files (this is usually hidden by default and there are different ways to do this depending on your computer so you will have to Google that)

5)Now you take the magisk patched file and rename it to the exact name it was before with the mbn extension instead of the img extension.

6)Paste that over top of the original one in the firmware folder you saved.

7)Then paste that entire folder back into the bin directory (the original one should have disappeared because you closed Sugar).

8)Now put your phone back in edl and reconnect it and when you click update instead of it taking an hour to download from their servers it will think that the downloading is already done because there is a new firmware folder in it's bin.

9)This update process should be much faster (mine jumped from 2% to 45% right away). But even though it's using your new firmware it still needs an internet connection on your computer to work (I tried turning off the internet to make sure it didn't download the same firmware again, but the connection fails and won't work).

10)Use a USB jump drive or Google Drive to get the Magisk Manager apk onto the Palm and then install (you probably should use the same Magisk Manager version that you used to make the patch).

DONE!

Hopefully that helps out anyone else who is stuck. And thanks again to members like @rainydaze who helped someone out that they've never met just to be nice! That's what makes XDA great!
    Patched for you with Magisk 20.3
    https://we.tl/t-Wjc9J0UpqO
    Let me know if root succeeded , my experience 1Axx fw not rootable

Good luck
    I boot my pvg100 into emergency, then "Get Version", the process didn't move, and then I unplugged usb cable, now I stuck in emergency mode:crying::crying::crying:

Hold down the power button for a few and it will reboot and then let off. If you need to get back into EDL just hold down the power button until it reboots to recovery normally 4 reboots and then you can go back into EDL.