S-Off problem since bootloader unlock

Search This thread

mobilescooby

Oct 7, 2010
Cork
Firstly i woke this morning to find out HTC has unlocked our bootloaders which is fantastic. So like everybody else i immediately followed the instructions and unlocked it... (piece of cake)

But i was in town today and thought well now the bootloader is unlocked i'll get s-off aswell then i'm free from everything.

Went to the shop asked the guy and he had a xtc-clip and made the gold card what he thought was switching s-off.

But later after getting back home i noticed to my horror that S-ON is still showing.

I still have the gold card files on my sd-card.

Is there anything i can do to turn s-off now? do i still need the clip? would a bootloader change maybe work?

Please help if you can people

Many Thanks

d33ps1x

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Firstly i woke this morning to find out HTC has unlocked our bootloaders which is fantastic. So like everybody else i immediately followed the instructions and unlocked it... (piece of cake)

But i was in town today and thought well now the bootloader is unlocked i'll get s-off aswell then i'm free from everything.

Went to the shop asked the guy and he had a xtc-clip and made the gold card what he thought was switching s-off.

But later after getting back home i noticed to my horror that S-ON is still showing.

Is there anything i can do to turn s-off now? do i still need the clip? would a bootloader change maybe work?

Many Thanks

Thank you for verifying that this update likely patches XTC exploit though. Fine if it's exploited then you unlock but not the other way around. I had my suspicions of this.

Think I'll stick with HBOOT 1.08 and skip the 1.08.099 ;)

As the other gent said. You need the sim dummy in place to S-OFF the phone. Go back to the shop and get him to do it again.

If not try downgrading to 1.08 hboot by performing a Euro RUU 2.3.5 update then go back to the shop. He shouldn't charge you to do it again. Just don't mention your little upgrade and unlock... :)

Reactions: mobilescooby

theq86

Jan 6, 2009
Nuremberg
Nothing Phone 2
Thank you for verifying that this update likely patches XTC exploit though. Fine if it's exploited then you unlock but not the other way around. I had my suspicions of this.

As the other gent said. You need the sim dummy in place to S-OFF the phone. Go back to the shop and get him to do it again.

If not try downgrading to 1.08 hboot by performing a Euro RUU 2.3.5 update then go back to the shop. He shouldn't charge you to do it again. Just don't mention your little upgrade and unlock... :)

RUU 2.3.5 Update does not work any more after updating hboot

mobilescooby

Oct 7, 2010
Cork
Oh i've been back twice since i found out that S was still on. The guy didnt even know what the S flag was about as he was more of a iphone lover. so thats why i asked him to redo it for me and i'll have the files on my sd card.

I read somewhere on a forum in the last hour that the clip sometimes doesnt sit in the sim slot correctly causing the clip not to function correctly. So that was probably the case.

If i reflashed a lower ruu wouldnt that then relock the bootloader? Just a thought.

Has anybody got a link to the ruu that had the 1.08 bootloader and not the 1.08.099 version?

oh sorry i know lots of questions but one thing i did know when he did the gold card and had the connection into the phone the CLIP was powered off a USB connection but i'm sure ive read somewhere that it needs to be powered by a 9v battery is that correct?

Anyway i have to wait now until monday before i can do anything.......

would liked to have flashed a new rom tonight but obviously cant

Many Thanks

d33ps1x

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Will have to look into that a bit later

Might be worth the moderators putting a notice up about the possibility that HTC whilst unlocking the bootloader have patched the CLIPS S-OFF function until we get some more information on it
I think the first step is to go back to that shop and get the guy to try S-OFF again and see if he just didn't clip it right. Seems odd that he wouldn't verify it at the time.

Anyone worth their salt would have rebooted to hboot and checked...

I'd rather that then sound a general alarm.

mobilescooby

Oct 7, 2010
Cork
I think the first step is to go back to that shop and get the guy to try S-OFF again and see if he just didn't clip it right. Seems odd that he wouldn't verify it at the time.

Anyone worth their salt would have rebooted to hboot and checked...

I'd rather that then sound a general alarm.

As i said he doesnt actually know what S-OFF/S-ON is...... i did actually have a right go at him, when he said "oh i've been in the mobile phone business for years"

He was like why would you want to flash custom roms or radio's................i was like HELLO because i'm running ANDROID and i CAN.......awww bless him tho he's a APPLE LOVER so his best friend is iTunes whilst ours is ADB and Busybox etc......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You still need clip. goldcard is useless without the clip's SIM-Card simulator

Many Thanks

RUU 2.3.5 Update does not work any more after updating hboot
    Did you try flashing this one FROM hboot?

Worth a shot. If not look into the thread on downgrading hboot versions. Around here somewhere.
    Did you try flashing this one FROM hboot?

Worth a shot. If not look into the thread on downgrading hboot versions. Around here somewhere.

gonna give it a try and report afterwards