TF-201 WIFI/GPS Compared Against Tf-700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
there is no link..this was what I was told

-well for starters, an inside source, in Asus, tells me the wifi/BT issues are due to old Firmware on board. Issues supposed to be fixed on newer firmware. This is affecting a very small group out of very large shipments. How this occurred is being investigated and will promise to fix or replace with latest hardware/firmware revision.

-Next Rumors of TF-201 being discontinued is false

-new model with HD screen won't be released for at least another 4-5 months minimum. This is the TF 700. it still primarily uses metal backing except for thin strip of plastic up top

-with that said, this person tested his personal TF-201 model against the new model, TF 700 and there was no improvements or better results in Wifi or GPS in the test area. This was based on his personal assessment of it. he wasn't able to test at longer distances though. This in no way was some very intense detailed test. More of a quick comparison. He said his Prime doesn't suffer from issues experienced by some users here. This means both devices worked good and properly as they were supposed to. So two devices both working as they should will produce similar results. This means both devices performed good enough to the person testing it.

-As far as any type of exchange for a newer model ... there is no word or talk of that. Instead they are working to fix this within the Prime itself. If the fix found doesn't meet up to your satisfaction then return it. if out of range of return window, then they will work with the retailer

Well there you have it. All facts I've learned. I made sure to ask the right type of questions when the chance came my way. For all the people trying to put off current Prime for newer model thinkn it will perform better on wifi and GPS, THINK AGAIN...lol. Once primes that have issues get worked out, it will perform the same, as far as wifi, and GPS to newer model. The plastic strip up top doesn't really help at all because majority of backing is still metal, IMO. If prime is up to date with latest firmware, then there's no difference between newer model. As both models will work as they were intended to.

hope this finally clears up alot of false rumours floating around these forums lately.

For the Trollers and non believers, this is not a debate. Just releasing some info found out that may clear some rumors....MAIN ONE BEING THAT THE CURRENT PRIME. TF-201 will not be discontinued and will still be supported for the long haul.

If you have problem then keep it moving! TROLLING WONT WORK OVA HEAAAAA! lol

Last edited:

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
THIS IS ALL STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH BASICALLY..there is no link..take my word for it, this was what I was told

-well for starters, an inside source, in Asus, tells me the wifi/BT issues are due to old Firmware on board. Issues supposed to be fixed on newer firmware. This is affecting a very small group out of very large shipments. How this occurred is being investigated and will promise to fix or replace with latest hardware/firmware revision.

So would you say this is the reason some primes work with ICS and others dont?

ajkid93

Dec 14, 2010
I think multiple occasions I have said that it was S/W not H/W. Everyone then puts it back in my face by saying its the back cover and Asus new about these issues and released the tablets anyways. Now if this source is correct, then I get to say the biggest I told ya so. :)

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
W ell, i dont know those journos who tested the tf700 (CES or you tube) didnt test the gps with wifi off. Even with lock, precision is like 60-200ft indoors an d forget about when moving fast in a train (do plan your trip in advnce or rent a car with gps...

Happy with the primeotherwise.

grumblers

Jan 4, 2012
Dallas
If this is all true (and I desperately hope that it is), then I think I prefer the current prime to the TF700. IMHO the aesthetics of the spun metal back outweigh any alleged wifi/gps improvement and 1080 res at the cost of an ugly anodized whatever back panel.

TF201 FTW?

Reactions: ckoadiyn

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
I think multiple occasions I have said that it was S/W not H/W. Everyone then puts it back in my face by saying its the back cover and Asus new about these issues and released the tablets anyways. Now if this source is correct, then I get to say the biggest I told ya so. :)

The GPS is a back issue the firmware is most likely whats causing issues like locking up and lines on the screen.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
so what you are trying to tell me is that....

there's a horse working for asus that has a tf700 in possession?!?!?

AND THAT IT CAN SPEAK?!!?

you made me laugh. that was a good one. I needed that..lol

So would you say this is the reason some primes work with ICS and others dont?

although it wasnt directly stated, this would make perfect sense though. Obviously some older primes that had old stuff on it wasn't supposed to ship out because majority of devices have newer firmware on it. So if Asus is sending out ICS updates made for newer firmware and people with older ones is receiving it also, it would cause issues. Because the software is not meshing well with the older hardware or something to that sort.

good point to bring up. that issue needs to be addressed also.

jdbaker82

Dec 21, 2011
you made me laugh. that was a good one. I needed that..lol

although it wasnt directly stated, this would make perfect sense though. Obviously some older primes that had old stuff on it wasn't supposed to ship out because majority of devices have newer firmware on it. So if Asus is sending out ICS updates made for newer firmware and people with older ones is receiving it also, it would cause issues. Because the software is not meshing well with the older hardware or something to that sort.

good point to bring up. that issue needs to be addressed also.

Well i dont want to Bragg but this is specifically what i already said was probably the reason in the iCS lockup thread :D

theoilman

Dec 7, 2010
so now to see if they can get the firmware fixed before the TF700 comes out. any takers on bets?

Asus has a good reputation for putting out updates, but no one said this update is an easy one to patch in, if it is in fact just a firmware problem. hopefully it will come soon though.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

I bet it's just a regular Asus horse with peanut butter on its gums

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va

I'm right along with you.

W ell, i dont know those journos who tested the tf700 (CES or you tube) didnt test the gps with wifi off. Even with lock, precision is like 60-200ft indoors an d forget about when moving fast in a train (do plan your trip in advnce or rent a car with gps...

Happy with the primeotherwise.

This wasn't no journalist. A high ranking person who works for Asus. He owns a Prime n knows howbto use it..lol

The GPS is a back issue the firmware is most likely whats causing issues like locking up and lines on the screen.

As seen the newer model with strip up top doesn't improve wifi and GPS all vs. the testers personal Prime. that being said his Prime worked fine and didn't have issues some users here experiencing. So it still can't be said the metal back is main cause of issue. The fact that the newer model didn't show better results then the guys personal Prime(which works perfectly) says alot.

GernBlanston

Mar 29, 2011
Bear, DE
As seen the newer model with strip up top doesn't improve wifi and GPS all vs. the testers personal Prime. that being said his Prime worked fine and didn't have issues some users here experiencing.

From your post, I don't know the specifics of the test or what "longer distances" even means...was he using some enhanced signal meter, or the bars on the tablet, or an app to gauge reception? You do know that wireless reception falls off on a decibel scale as you move further away from source, right? And that this may serve to keep the tablets "neck and neck" in an environment close to the source?

All in all, this gives me about as much reason to declare the 700 the equivalent of a Prime in terms of radio reception as it does to declare the Prime hopelessly outclassed...certainly not enough info from your post for a declarative of the former.

bluesea84se

Sep 24, 2011
Hi i have x10 and made root and recovery but i cant install any rom and that msg appear.
e:/can,t mount/dev/block/mmcblk0p1(or/dev/block/mmcblko)
(device or resource busy )
E:cant mount sdcard: wolf gb.zip
Installation aborted.
Any help plz

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

2fastkuztoms

Jul 5, 2010
thanks for the info... lets see if they turn into something real... :)

btw ask Mr X if Champange dock exist....

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 AM ----------

wrong forum..

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have a hard time believing this for two reasons:

1) Why would Asus not fox the terribly awful GPS and lackluster WiFi in their next model?
2) Why would they add that ugly plastic strip on the top if it wasn't to improve the wireless signals?

These things just don't make any sense.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
-with that said, this person tested his personal TF-201 model against the new model, TF 700 and there was no improvements or better results in Wifi or GPS in the test area.

Forgive me, I'm a little slow. But how can this in any way be construed as "good news?" By their own admission, Asus has confirmed the wireless issues with the Prime. Asus Taiwan also said that the new "non full metal back" tablet will resolve those issues. So if the TF700 performs the same as the Prime it seems that's a bad thing and a (second) fail on Asus' part. I guess in some abstract way it's good for current Prime owners but the impact on Asus as a company by releasing two devices with wireless issues back-to-back would be extremely negative. And why would they even bother going to the expense of redesigning the TF700's back cover and getting it recertified with the FCC if they were: A) happy with the current performance of the Prime, and B) didn't think it would correct an issue they've already acknowledged? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    there is no link..this was what I was told

-Next Rumors of TF-201 being discontinued is false

-new model with HD screen won't be released for at least another 4-5 months minimum. This is the TF 700. it still primarily uses metal backing except for thin strip of plastic up top

-with that said, this person tested his personal TF-201 model against the new model, TF 700 and there was no improvements or better results in Wifi or GPS in the test area. This was based on his personal assessment of it. he wasn't able to test at longer distances though. This in no way was some very intense detailed test. More of a quick comparison. He said his Prime doesn't suffer from issues experienced by some users here. This means both devices worked good and properly as they were supposed to. So two devices both working as they should will produce similar results. This means both devices performed good enough to the person testing it.

-As far as any type of exchange for a newer model ... there is no word or talk of that. Instead they are working to fix this within the Prime itself. If the fix found doesn't meet up to your satisfaction then return it. if out of range of return window, then they will work with the retailer

Well there you have it. All facts I've learned. I made sure to ask the right type of questions when the chance came my way. For all the people trying to put off current Prime for newer model thinkn it will perform better on wifi and GPS, THINK AGAIN...lol. Once primes that have issues get worked out, it will perform the same, as far as wifi, and GPS to newer model. The plastic strip up top doesn't really help at all because majority of backing is still metal, IMO. If prime is up to date with latest firmware, then there's no difference between newer model. As both models will work as they were intended to.

hope this finally clears up alot of false rumours floating around these forums lately.

For the Trollers and non believers, this is not a debate. Just releasing some info found out that may clear some rumors....MAIN ONE BEING THAT THE CURRENT PRIME. TF-201 will not be discontinued and will still be supported for the long haul.

If you have problem then keep it moving! TROLLING WONT WORK OVA HEAAAAA! lol
    so what you are trying to tell me is that....

there's a horse working for asus that has a tf700 in possession?!?!?

AND THAT IT CAN SPEAK?!!?
    What the original poster said is all BS, believe me! Don't listen to such people who are just trying to confuse others to make up for their own disappointment with the purchase of a faulty product!

Why am I so sure? Here's why:

1) If the GPS problem was just a firmware issue, it would have been fixed already with an OTA update for all customers!

2) If they could fix it with a FW upgrade or if it just affected a few early devices, they wouldn't have removed the "GPS" from the technical specifications.

3) They would not use the plastic cover part on the TF700 if everything worked fine with the all aluminum back-plate.

You see, this is clear proof that the statements of the OP are just rubbish!

Regards!

Lol.

Do you even read anything at all? :D

1: You clearly have no idea about how software development works. You can't just push a fix in some days. Especially not if you are not 100% sure where exactly the error is.

Apart from that the Prime was never intended to run HC 3.2. They had a bare 4 days to see how ICS runs on all the Primes and to analyze what errors there are.

2: ASUS themselfs said that they remove the GPS AS LONG AS THE ISSUE IS NOT CLEARED UP.
    This move was made to not confuse FUTURE customers. YOu can read that up on your own.

3: The plastic cover is mainly used because the TF700 is a 3G device...

You guys you really can't expect that ASUS fixes all your problems within two work days...
    I wish more people would work in software development.... :rolleyes:
    I have a hard time believing this for two reasons:

1) Why would Asus not fox the terribly awful GPS and lackluster WiFi in their next model?
    2) Why would they add that ugly plastic strip on the top if it wasn't to improve the wireless signals?

These things just don't make any sense.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Forgive me, I'm a little slow. But how can this in any way be construed as "good news?" By their own admission, Asus has confirmed the wireless issues with the Prime. Asus Taiwan also said that the new "non full metal back" tablet will resolve those issues. So if the TF700 performs the same as the Prime it seems that's a bad thing and a (second) fail on Asus' part. I guess in some abstract way it's good for current Prime owners but the impact on Asus as a company by releasing two devices with wireless issues back-to-back would be extremely negative. And why would they even bother going to the expense of redesigning the TF700's back cover and getting it recertified with the FCC if they were: A) happy with the current performance of the Prime, and B) didn't think it would correct an issue they've already acknowledged? :confused:

OK. I can answer both of these at once. lol. The person told me that actually a small "community" of Primes out of all shipments has wireless issues. He said this was due to older, I guess faulty, firmware on board. So that means the remaining Primes have no wifi or GPS issues. That's why we have a range of results here in the forums on wifi. Some works perfectly great n on par or better than other devices. Some people state their wifi is showing issues like slow speeds etc... As far as GPS goes, a prime with newer firmware, majority of primes, will have GPS functioning properly as Asus sees fit for it to perform. Remember they said itbwas never meant to be a dedicated GPS device anyways.

So with that said, when the guy tested his Prime(which works with no issues, everything working properly, probably on new firmware) against the TF-700, as far as wifi and GPS goes, he said the results were the same. No noticeable improvement on results of newer device. that doesn't mean they both performed ****ty..lol. that means they both worked like they were supposed to.
    As far as whybthe redesign of the back, the newer model is an upgrade version anyways. they took into account the full metal back might be causing issues, like from reports, so they added the plastic strip. Remember, the back is still mostly metal with onlybthebplastic strip up top. so i would think even with the plastic strip, the signals might still be slightly affected as tradeoff for aesthetics. So a properly working Prime on newer firmware should have no wifi or GPS issues.

I'm just relaying what I was told. word for word basically without reposting something sent to me in confidentiality. As far as how or the methods he used to test, I'm not sure. I didn't ask. I was just surprised he answered my questions period. I'm not trying to stir anything up. I just think this info is informative as to debunk some rumors floating around and to give more insight into new TF-700. As I'm sure GPS will be brought back up after this post, I guess it works well enough on both devices up to Asus standards. Rwmeber this person Prime doesn't exhibit the issues people here on forum have. So it could be said he has a normal Prime working like its supposed to. when he tested against new model, they both were on par with each other. WHY u may ask? because both devices were performing like they were supposed to.

I know this probably leads to even more questions but this is all I know from what the guy(Higher ranking Asus official, not some best buy floor manager..lol) relayed to me. Once Asus clears these issues up and make sure everyone has updated firmware or whatever on board, then Prime, even with metal backing should perform a whole lot better as far as wifi/GPS/BT goes. It will work as its supposed to.
    What the original poster said is all BS, believe me! Don't listen to such people who are just trying to confuse others to make up for their own disappointment with the purchase of a faulty product!

Why am I so sure? Here's why:

1) If the GPS problem was just a firmware issue, it would have been fixed already with an OTA update for all customers!

2) If they could fix it with a FW upgrade or if it just affected a few early devices, they wouldn't have removed the "GPS" from the technical specifications.

3) They would not use the plastic cover part on the TF700 if everything worked fine with the all aluminum back-plate.

You see, this is clear proof that the statements of the OP are just rubbish!

Regards!