Voodoo mods for Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
You're asking about speaker or earpiece during call, right?

Because in its stock configuration it already has one of the loudest headphone output level on market.

Yea, I'm pretty satisfied with the headphone levels. Stock is much louder than SGS2. However, I know it has potential as I tried the AlsaMixer to boost it up and boy did it hurt my ears!

The speaker is a real weak point though.. Volume+ doesn't seem stable.. as it gets softer when I select high levels over 10db.. Would be grateful if you have plans for the speaker volume!

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
So I was wondering if anyone could say from experience if the klipsch app works with voodoo louder? The klipsch apps says to turn off other app headset control options must be disabled. Anyone know if this would work it cause conflict?

EDIT;

By other headset control apps klipsch mean other applications to control the headphones and if you choose to set music apps launch when plugged in. I think the klipsch app and voodoo loud should work well together along with Google and sound great hopefully. Now.to find £60 for a set :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
So I was wondering if anyone could say from experience if the klipsch app works with voodoo louder? The klipsch apps says to turn off other app headset control options must be disabled. Anyone know if this would work it cause conflict?

EDIT;

By other headset control apps klipsch mean other applications to control the headphones and if you choose to set music apps launch when plugged in. I think the klipsch app and voodoo loud should work well together along with Google and sound great hopefully. Now.to find £60 for a set :rolleyes:

I got no reports about it, but I guess its fine.
From the app description its dealing with button events not volume, so even in worst case there should be no issue whatsoever ;)

Also, volume events generated by the app should be replicated automatically as a boost or analog amp setting instead.
I just hope they generate volume up events even at max volume.

Reactions: The Gingerbread Man
W

WiredPirate

Thank you supercurio for this explaination thread and for your work!
I can't wait to purchase your app!

Can it be explained how/if VooDoo Louder will function differently/better than Volume+ which I am currently using to boost audio?

I hope you will also consider Bluetooth in VooDoo Louder.

As far as wifi screen off fix, I have wifi set to never sleep. Is wifi screen off fix only for those that have wifi set to turn off after screen off? Meaning will there be a use for this app for those of us who have wifi sleep set to never?

Thanks again!:D

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for all your work Francois.

I am eagerly awaiting whether the screen tuning work will happen for the Nexus, as that's my only issue with the phone (video playback).

Keep up the awesome work!

nwevo

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks and another request

First off, thanks for your work with this.

Secondly, would you be able to create a mod that will increase the audio quality for recording video? It is absolutely horrendous for recording live music/loud environments.

Thanks!

nwevo

Mar 12, 2011
audio recording mod

regarding my last post..

I'd be willing to start a bounty for this. I'd gladly pledge at least $20 for this fix, and based on discussions with other GNex owners, I'm sure we could rally some sig $$$ for a fix for the audio quality during video recording. Think it involves disabling auto-gain control on the mic, but I'll leave the specifics up to the coders.

Thanks again,

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
regarding my last post..

I'd be willing to start a bounty for this. I'd gladly pledge at least $20 for this fix, and based on discussions with other GNex owners, I'm sure we could rally some sig $$$ for a fix for the audio quality during video recording. Think it involves disabling auto-gain control on the mic, but I'll leave the specifics up to the coders.

Thanks again,

Recording is in my TODO list also but I didn't studied it yet at all why I didn't spoke about it in the first post.

Simer03

Apr 17, 2010
Hey supercurio...do u have a super amoled fix for the gnex? I saw it listed as a feature on Popcorn kernel but can't find any thing about it

sent from my Nexus Prime

jkc120

Sep 8, 2010
Hey supercurio...do u have a super amoled fix for the gnex? I saw it listed as a feature on Popcorn kernel but can't find any thing about it

sent from my Nexus Prime

AFAIK, no he hasn't had time to do that yet.

Can you link me to the Popcorn kernel link? If it fixes the video playback (clipping, bad color banding, etc etc) then it will be my new favorite kernel :D

gtizon

Aug 14, 2011
Manila
Good to see the main man here! Awesome work. Purchased the Louder app for the S2. He should work his magic on the screen of the Nexus as well.

Reactions: supercurio

mike216

Nov 12, 2010
cleveland
+1 my vibrant and nexus s colors are far superior to my galaxy nexus! They also sound better :(
Very disappointed samsung or Google didn't put the wolfstin sound chip. Still love my nexus s and made it my strict music player. Now I have to carry 2 devices. Hopefully not for long :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

irishrally

Jun 13, 2009
California
+1 my vibrant and nexus s colors are far superior to my galaxy nexus! They also sound better :(
Very disappointed samsung or Google didn't put the wolfstin sound chip. Still love my nexus s and made it my strict music player. Now I have to carry 2 devices. Hopefully not for long :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I'm doing the same with my NS being my dedicated PMP. The sound quality on the NS is noticeably better with the Wolfson DAC and Voodoo sound compared to the GN. I'll go out of my way to grab the NS if I know I'll be listening to music.

With the sound quality, SAMOLED, probably the best single core cpu/gpu combo of them all, and the all black sleek and sexy design, the Nexus S is hands down the best 16gb PMP (music, games, web browsing etc.) ever made. Battery life in airplane mode is days. Google Music helps, but if the NS had more storage, it would be the best "PMP/ipod/ipod touch" ever made. Yeah, I love the NS, and would have liked if the Galaxy Nexus had just been a scaled up version of the Nexus S, looks wise, but I love the GN.

I like the screen on the GN better, and think we have as much control as we're going to get with RGB multipliers and gamma offset adjustment in colorcontrol etc.

Thanks Super - looking forward to you squeezing the best sound quality out of the GN.

Reactions: mike216

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!

I feel the need to create a post here as my mail & twitter accounts are filled with "Please support Galaxy Nexus" requests, pressuring me everyday.
    My goal here is not to generate expectations or start teasing but to give answers I can give.

So!
    What I'll do and what I'll not do on Galaxy Nexus:

Won't do:

Voodoo Sound:

Yea, I know, I said a few weeks ago I might add Galaxy Nexus in Voodoo sound but eventually that won't be the case for several reasons.

- Galaxy Nexus audio quality potential is good but not quite as good as what I target.

- Galaxy Nexus audio codec, TI TWL6040 has no DSP, which means:
    Parametric EQ
    Stereo enhancements
    Advanced recording presets using Dynamic Range Compression
    Using hardware: those cannot be done.
    Its the signature and exclusive features of Voodoo Sound and what matters to me.
    I know devices with WM8994 tend to become old compared to the latest generation but I don't care.
    Sound quality stay just as excellent and class-leading, that's what's important no matter how many new devices are released each week.

Will do:

Voodoo LOUDER:

That's why I created this different app, in order to host useful audio mods/hacks even if they don't reach the quality and features I require for Voodoo Sound.

Things I'll implement here:

- Analog headphone amplifier control, with perfect OS integration and automatic optimal setup for the best audio quality results.
    If there are a few dB left to squeeze at maximum output level, the biggest interest here is the opposite: with optimizations for sensitive headphones & in-ear.

I'll implement a few more things but you'll see it by yourself.
    Where there will be no compromise, its about usability, seamless experience, automatic optimal settings and most importantly no custom kernel requirements (only root)

This is why it require more work (and more time) than random hacks but eventually its of course worth it as I'm sure it will become one of the app you'll use daily.

Wi-fi screen-off fix:

Wi-fi is terrible with several routers (loosing every packet as soon as the screen turns off) and that has to be fixed.
    I started working on it as well but as usual, I target a patching & flashing free solution.

Too soon to comment:

Screen color rendering customization and calibration − long term project unifying most Super AMOLED and LCD Samsung flagships.

General

- no ETA. It's done when it's done.
    - Don't count on anything before it's actually released. Some part can be very challenging due to constrains (compatibility, no flashing) and might be impossible, or possible, or take months.. I'm sure you see what I mean ;)

I say that because if the devs I try to publish look like simple apps, they depend on crazy hacks, doing things not how it was supposed to. So there's always research and challenges behind and it the outcome can be better but also worse than expected.
    Surprise :)

A little app for you, sort of tech demo of future Display Expert features.

Download Voodoo Galaxy Nexus Display Experiment 0.2

Requirements:
    - root
    - standard/official kernel, or any custom one without randomly unchecked build options.

All settings are based on hardware reconfiguration of the Super AMOLED HD panel driver and controller.

VoodooGalaxyNexusDisplayExperiment-main-0.1.png
    ATM I'm working on new driver model and tools that are extremely powerful and allow to do a lot more than before without custom kernel or even kernel driver.

Its common to all my mods ;)
    EXTREMELY POWERFUL! That made me jizzed my pants.

LOL :D

Just to tell I make good progress in the new driver (yet another) model I name Voodoo Kaudio and that will be powering Future LOUDER and Voodoo sound implementation.

- No-kernel userspace drive: done, I use it in Display Expert already (first beta, Galaxy S II only soon to be released)
    - Kaudio: generic driver for my audio mods when userspace driver is not enough: something like 45%.

Currently I'm working on Kaudio in a big rush to complete it in order to port Voodoo Sound to Transformer ICS.
    Yes I suppose it is after re reading it. I was just a little unsure as in your OP you say voodoo sound won't be possible due to hardware and a few days ago this new kaudio app will feature voodoo sound and louder feature and if it is actually going to be avaible for galaxy nexus users or only the sgs2?

What I really meant though was some kind if change log as to how things are going within your OP for simple reference but that might be better suited after you actually publicly release kaudio. Anyway don't worry about it and carry on doing what you do best Super C ;)

Yes Kaudio is a new kind of driver (Kernel-side) designed based on the experience I acquired since I started building mods.

At the opposite of old Voodoo sound kernel drivers, it's inactive and empty after being loaded: does strictly nothing.
    Then its programmed by a set of various action rules from one of my apps plus some real-time actions. That makes it portable, reconfigurable and extensible to the envy.

The current methods I use for LOUDER on Samsung Exynos chipsets are not valid for Galaxy Nexus, but Kaudio will be.
    Kaudio drivers family will be used internally by LOUDER and Voodoo sound even if its 2 distinct apps for different devices.