[Q] How to troubleshoot random reboots on stock ROM - Galaxy Note 3?

Search This thread

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
i've recently been encountering random reboots on my Galaxy Note 3 (N9005), on stock 4.4.2 ROM.

The reboot occurs regardless of time, foreground/background running apps, battery level and anything else i can think of. for instance, it can just instantly hang+auto-reboot while i'm browsing facebook, surfing on chrome, switching tracks on poweramp, or even when the screen is off doing nothing (deep sleep)!

I've tried to uninstall some of the recent installed apps, but still unable to find any culprit. is there any way i can identify the culprit, without resorting to factory-reset for my device? i spent a lot of time doing the configuration for each app that i use, and wouldn't want to repeat the whole process..

Thanks in advance for your help!

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
Only way to know would be to get a logcat or last_kmesg. You might try something like this since it is so random:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogrec

i downloaded aLogRec as requested and recorded the log for the entire day.

this is the log for the first 16hours - i opened it with notepad++ and the log was super short - is it normal?
Link 1

this is the log for the next few hours, where the random reboot occurred halfway - seems that it's empty. does that mean there's no way for me to know how the reboot came about? :(
Link 2

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
i downloaded aLogRec as requested and recorded the log for the entire day.

this is the log for the first 16hours - i opened it with notepad++ and the log was super short - is it normal?
Link 1

this is the log for the next few hours, where the random reboot occurred halfway - seems that it's empty. does that mean there's no way for me to know how the reboot came about? :(
Link 2

Yea, that app definitely didn't work. Not really sure why. But other than catching it in the act using the logcat, whether it is another automatic one or just the manual way via the phone or computer, there's no other way to tell. You do know that you can backup most of your apps and settings with a variety of tools? It won't make everything perfect, but cuts the time of restoring your phone after a factory reset way down. I literally wipe my entire phone and reset it up like 3 times a week on average. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to an hour depending on if I just need it usable or exactly the way I like it.

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
Yea, that app definitely didn't work. Not really sure why. But other than catching it in the act using the logcat, whether it is another automatic one or just the manual way via the phone or computer, there's no other way to tell. You do know that you can backup most of your apps and settings with a variety of tools? It won't make everything perfect, but cuts the time of restoring your phone after a factory reset way down. I literally wipe my entire phone and reset it up like 3 times a week on average. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to an hour depending on if I just need it usable or exactly the way I like it.

thanks for the reply. got a few questions:

1. other than aLogCat, any other app i can try to catch the random reboot in the act?

2. yes, i could backup all my apps+settings using TB, but would i also be restoring the 'random reboot' in this case as well?

3. another symptom just occurred and i'm not sure whether it's relevant to the random reboot. after the random reboot (or so it seems), all my saved WIFI passwords get forgotten, and i need to re-enter the passwords for it to auto-login to my home/office network. i also realize it loses one of the settings i previously adjusted in Developer Options - the transition animation scale was set to 0x last time and set back to 1x.. but when it random reboots nowadays, it will just default back to 0x (which isn't the correct default).

i'm so frustrated at the number of problems my phone is facing right now.. :(

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
thanks for the reply. got a few questions:

1. other than aLogCat, any other app i can try to catch the random reboot in the act?

2. yes, i could backup all my apps+settings using TB, but would i also be restoring the 'random reboot' in this case as well?

3. another symptom just occurred and i'm not sure whether it's relevant to the random reboot. after the random reboot (or so it seems), all my saved WIFI passwords get forgotten, and i need to re-enter the passwords for it to auto-login to my home/office network. i also realize it loses one of the settings i previously adjusted in Developer Options - the transition animation scale was set to 0x last time and set back to 1x.. but when it random reboots nowadays, it will just default back to 0x (which isn't the correct default).

i'm so frustrated at the number of problems my phone is facing right now.. :(

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scd.lcex - looks pretty solid and more updated than the other one.

Possibly, but since we don't know what caused it, no way to know. What you do is backup everything, reset, then test, then start to add apps back in and test. Sucks, but just one of those things. Software issues can be tricky because there are so many different factors in play.

But it seems like this might be an issue with certain Samsung phones with batteries that are not performing as they should:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567941&page=3

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scd.lcex - looks pretty solid and more updated than the other one.

Possibly, but since we don't know what caused it, no way to know. What you do is backup everything, reset, then test, then start to add apps back in and test. Sucks, but just one of those things. Software issues can be tricky because there are so many different factors in play.

But it seems like this might be an issue with certain Samsung phones with batteries that are not performing as they should:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567941&page=3

alright, will try the Extreme version and hopefully it catches the culprit.

As for the battery problem, it doesn't seem like the same case as mentioned in the other thread - he had a reboot loop and crazy drain, both of which are not existent (luckily) symptoms on my end.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Your issues could definitely be explained by battery issues though. Have seen stuff like this before at my shop. Batteries are less than $10 typically and worst case, you have a spare battery so if you go out and about and the phone dies, you don't have to run to a charger / outlet.

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
Your issues could definitely be explained by battery issues though. Have seen stuff like this before at my shop. Batteries are less than $10 typically and worst case, you have a spare battery so if you go out and about and the phone dies, you don't have to run to a charger / outlet.

hmm, pretty sure it's not a battery issue then. just bought a new battery and the same problem exists.

my logcat files appended as follows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjtio2je6h71mre/LogCat.zip

would appreciate everyone's help!

thanks!

Ph0enix_216

I was experiencing random reboots on the stock ROM for my KFHD when I was running stock. Turns out it was caused by me adjusting the DPI to a custom value.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

dylansmith

Jan 23, 2012
I was experiencing random reboots on the stock ROM for my KFHD when I was running stock. Turns out it was caused by me adjusting the DPI to a custom value.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

that could be one possible cause as I have certain preset dpi's for apps using Xposed.

any other possibilities and any other way to avoid it?