[Guide] Theme with transparent icons

Search This thread

lestat89

Jan 12, 2008
Arras
streak.forumgratuit.fr
At the request of a number of people, here's a little tutorial explaining how I made the theme below, I called abstract theme (do not ask me why ...)
(Note that I am not the inventor of this type of theme, I am inspired by many themes I have seen on other forums, I thank very much the creators of wallpapers I used (I never remind theyre names except EG Fox, sorry for that))
These examples where created for the Dell Streak but this guide can be used for every android phone, just use the good resolution for the wallpaper

1/ So, to start, install Launcherpro (you can also take the "plus" but paying)

2/ Adjust the settings you prefer (this is only the parameters related to the theme I present now, but there are other possible parameters):
- Number of pages, the default page, the number of columns, the number of lines (to position your shortcuts, personally I have 8 columns and 8 rows) => Menu / Settings / Homescreen Settings
- Number of dock (the dock is the Quick Launch bar that is located right in landscape mode, you have 5 possible shortcuts in one dock and it is possible to have up to 3 docks (to slide up or down on the dock) => Menu / Preferences / Dock Settings (you can also specify, if you choose to put shortcuts telephone, email and sms on the dock, if you want to be displayed a count of unread events)
- The bottom of the Dock (in the theme as an example, I have no background) => Menu / Preferences / Appearance Settings / Dock Background / None (if you want to put a custom dock by you or found on the net, then you must choose "Custom" and pick the dock from your SD card)

3/ Choose your screen and resize it at 800x480. So that the bottom is not distorted, use Multipicture Live Wallpaper which allows you to set a different wallpaper per page (if desired). Multipicture Live Wallpaperr is managed as an animated wallpaper

The bottom will not be distorted but the 36 Pxls top will be hidden by the notification bar.

4/ Then you need to know, based on the number of rows and columns you have chosen, where you must place your text on the wallpaper. To do so, complete page fully of shortcuts. Then made a screenshot, I recommend the excellent ScreenShot

5/ On your PC, using your editing software (photoshop, photofiltre ... etc.) you can have your wallpaper nude and the screen as it will be on your Streak with the location where applications will be.
So place your text on your nude background by ensuring that these areas are easily covered by applications..

Your wallpaper is ready !

6/ Now install Desktop Visualizer, which allows you to put shortcuts transparent (especially)

(For those who could not find it on the Market : http://www.partage-facile.com/GYV6DGY6CW/jp.co.bii.android.app.dskvzr.apk.html )

7/ Desktop Visualizer works as a widget : long press on background / add a widget and choose desktop visualizer (it has different sizes, choose the one that best fits the space you have planned for your shortcut)

DV lets you choose the icon of the application to launch, get the transparent icon on your SD card (if you do not have a transparent icon, here's one : http://www.partage-facile.com/0GJIEOUAO0/transparent.png.html )

Then select the application you want to start.

Delete the text of the application and confirm (you can change or remove the highlighting that appears when you press the link to the application you're using, otherwise it will be orange)

8/ Once you've validated, you see nothing changed on the screen, it is normal because you have placed a transparent icon :p ! The link will always be placed to the top left corner of your home. Make a mong press along the top left, your widget will be highlighted by launcherpro.
You may notice a kind of tab in the lower right corner of your shortcut, by pressing and holding down while moving your finger, you can resize your widget as you like.
So give the desired size for your shortcut and press "back", the highlight disappears. Now made a long press on the top left of the streak and held down, move your widget transparent to the place you want on your home. (To verify that it is well positioned, have a long support for and release to highlight it)
Do this for each shortcut you provided on your screen.

9/ The last step is the Dock. You've already put in the dock transparent, but it remains the shortcuts on the dock that are visible.
Make a long press on shortcuts, you can either change an icon (change icon/custom icon) or change the shortcut and put any you want and you can still choose the transparent icon before finalizing this shortcut.

Then, I think I pretty much said it all. To summarize, here is my wallpaper ith some details :

This is obviously a simple example that you described above some customization capabilities. Unleash your imagination and make us great themes!:)

I hope I was clear about (and sorry for my english), do not hesitate if you have questions or additions ;)

Some other example of themes done with this method :

My latest :

I compiled my wallpapers and you can download them (empty and modified) here (updated with the 3 latest) : http://www.partage-facile.com/O87TRUWWBJ/compil_theme.zip.html
or here : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12810448/compil_theme.zip

Last edited:
C

crzdcole

never thought about writing the text to the background, brilliant.
although wouldn't this cause issues with more then one homescreen?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At the request of a number of people, here's a little tutorial explaining how I made the theme below, I called abstract theme (do not ask me why ...)
    (Note that I am not the inventor of this type of theme, I am inspired by many themes I have seen on other forums, I thank very much the creators of wallpapers I used (I never remind theyre names except EG Fox, sorry for that))
    These examples where created for the Dell Streak but this guide can be used for every android phone, just use the good resolution for the wallpaper

1/ So, to start, install Launcherpro (you can also take the "plus" but paying)

2/ Adjust the settings you prefer (this is only the parameters related to the theme I present now, but there are other possible parameters):
    - Number of pages, the default page, the number of columns, the number of lines (to position your shortcuts, personally I have 8 columns and 8 rows) => Menu / Settings / Homescreen Settings
    - Number of dock (the dock is the Quick Launch bar that is located right in landscape mode, you have 5 possible shortcuts in one dock and it is possible to have up to 3 docks (to slide up or down on the dock) => Menu / Preferences / Dock Settings (you can also specify, if you choose to put shortcuts telephone, email and sms on the dock, if you want to be displayed a count of unread events)
    - The bottom of the Dock (in the theme as an example, I have no background) => Menu / Preferences / Appearance Settings / Dock Background / None (if you want to put a custom dock by you or found on the net, then you must choose "Custom" and pick the dock from your SD card)

3/ Choose your screen and resize it at 800x480. So that the bottom is not distorted, use Multipicture Live Wallpaper which allows you to set a different wallpaper per page (if desired). Multipicture Live Wallpaperr is managed as an animated wallpaper

The bottom will not be distorted but the 36 Pxls top will be hidden by the notification bar.

4/ Then you need to know, based on the number of rows and columns you have chosen, where you must place your text on the wallpaper. To do so, complete page fully of shortcuts. Then made a screenshot, I recommend the excellent ScreenShot

5/ On your PC, using your editing software (photoshop, photofiltre ... etc.) you can have your wallpaper nude and the screen as it will be on your Streak with the location where applications will be.
    So place your text on your nude background by ensuring that these areas are easily covered by applications..

Your wallpaper is ready !

6/ Now install Desktop Visualizer, which allows you to put shortcuts transparent (especially)

(For those who could not find it on the Market : http://www.partage-facile.com/GYV6DGY6CW/jp.co.bii.android.app.dskvzr.apk.html )

7/ Desktop Visualizer works as a widget : long press on background / add a widget and choose desktop visualizer (it has different sizes, choose the one that best fits the space you have planned for your shortcut)

DV lets you choose the icon of the application to launch, get the transparent icon on your SD card (if you do not have a transparent icon, here's one : http://www.partage-facile.com/0GJIEOUAO0/transparent.png.html )

Then select the application you want to start.

Delete the text of the application and confirm (you can change or remove the highlighting that appears when you press the link to the application you're using, otherwise it will be orange)

8/ Once you've validated, you see nothing changed on the screen, it is normal because you have placed a transparent icon :p ! The link will always be placed to the top left corner of your home. Make a mong press along the top left, your widget will be highlighted by launcherpro.
    You may notice a kind of tab in the lower right corner of your shortcut, by pressing and holding down while moving your finger, you can resize your widget as you like.
    So give the desired size for your shortcut and press "back", the highlight disappears. Now made a long press on the top left of the streak and held down, move your widget transparent to the place you want on your home. (To verify that it is well positioned, have a long support for and release to highlight it)
    Do this for each shortcut you provided on your screen.

9/ The last step is the Dock. You've already put in the dock transparent, but it remains the shortcuts on the dock that are visible.
    Make a long press on shortcuts, you can either change an icon (change icon/custom icon) or change the shortcut and put any you want and you can still choose the transparent icon before finalizing this shortcut.

Then, I think I pretty much said it all. To summarize, here is my wallpaper ith some details :

This is obviously a simple example that you described above some customization capabilities. Unleash your imagination and make us great themes!:)

I hope I was clear about (and sorry for my english), do not hesitate if you have questions or additions ;)

Some other example of themes done with this method :

My latest :

I compiled my wallpapers and you can download them (empty and modified) here (updated with the 3 latest) : http://www.partage-facile.com/O87TRUWWBJ/compil_theme.zip.html
    or here : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12810448/compil_theme.zip