[APP] Change Start Menu Icons (CSMI) v1.4b - UPDATED 17/01/2010

Search This thread

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Hi guys.
First time I make an app publicly available for windows mobile.. This program lets you change icons for programs in start menu and then, of course, in the quick links on the home screen. You can associate any PNG image (with transparency also) to any program in start menu: works both for applications AND folders. You can also reset* the original icons if you wish.

maqQz.png
gXErt.png
RftPB.png

Changelog

• Version 1.4 - Current
    • New: Import/Export icon configuration: dumps to an XML file all the icons that have been changed, so you can reload them back later.. or after flashing a new rom :) Remember to leave the csmi_exported.xml on the root folder of your MicroSD card (if you don't have an SD card, put it instead in the root of your device).
    • New: In the list are now shown only the items actually present in the start menu, so you should get much less "phantom" icons on bad cooked roms (when the cooker adds an item, then removes it in the start menu but forgets to clean the registry :p)
    • New: Main icon list now scrolls up/down instead of left/right
    • New: When you are browsing for new icons, you can see the name of the application on the upper section of the dialog box. So many times I forgot which icon I was changing, it really pissed me off.. but not anymore! :)
    • New/Fix in 1.4a: Added an option to not filter icons.. tell me if this solves some problems!
    • Fix in 1.4b: Some localization problem solved.. should prevent errors during CSMI startup! Can't test since I've only got a WWE Rom :( Please report feedback! Thanks!
  • Version 1.3
    • New: OpenFileDialogEx dropped in favor of standard Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Forms.SelectPictureDialog: that's what you have been waiting for.. finally image preview during icon selection!
    • New: CSMI now remembers last used folder :)
  • Version 1.2
    • New: CSMI now forces HTC Sense icon cache to be updated when necessary: should solve some annoying problems :) Once an icon has been updated, just remove from HTC Home and re-add it!
    • New: Updated icon - up 128x128 pixel resolution based on drik's icon pack. The icon is very similar but I had to do it myself in order to increase resolution up to 128x128 (his was 90x90 and according to tnyynt the best resolution for rounded icon is 128)
  • Version 1.1
    • Bugfix: If there is already a backup-ed icon, it wont be overwritten after changing twice the same icon.
    • Bugfix: There should be no more problems with resetting icons to their original state.
    • New: Apply and Reset buttons are enabled only when necessary.
  • Version 1.0
    • Initial Release

Known Bugs

• Version 1.3
    • While browsing for PNG images, transparency isn't rendered correctly (black background). That's Microsoft's fault. Even HTC's Album has the same problem. In a future release I will have to write a custom OpenFileDialog Class perfectly suited for this task only. But for now I'll just stick with it, works well and it's FAST!
  • Version 1.2
    • New icon's rounded corner are not as rounded as htc home screen's. This results in some blank space at the corners (ONLY IN HOME SCREEN). Will be fixed in the next release.
    • About menu doesn't work :p
  • Version 1.0
    • Reset functionality does not work very well at the moment: does work in most cases but if a start menu item didn't have an icon associated with it in the registry then you CAN'T reset original icon using CSMI v1.0 - you have to manually remove the application's registry key value "Icon"
    • If you change more than once any icon you won't be able to restore it's original aspect :( Sorry guys, I'll update the app ASAP.

What if CSMI can't apply an icon?
  1. Delete all files located in \Application Data\HTC\ProgLauncher
  2. Change that icon with CSMI
  3. Remove the application icon from the homescreen
  4. Just add back it back in Sense homescreen.. that's it!
That, however, applies only to HTC Sense: if you want Windows Mobile Start Menu icon to be updated (this applies to v1.2+ too), just soft-reset your phone!

Update!!
I've found a bug/feature in manila which prevents some icons to be changed.
Since many users were complaining about not being able to change some icons I've started investigating the problem and found that if you try to use a custom icon which have the same filename of one of the images found in \Windows then Manila will always load that instead of your customized one.

In order to easily fix the problem, just rename your icon :)

This bug affects ONLY manila, therefore in the start menu everything will look fine BUT in the Homescreen you will always have the original icon!

Download Links
--> Download the latest version here [v1.4b] <--

--> Dinik's Icon Set (HQ 128x128) <--
--> Drik's Icon Pack (SQ 90x90) <--
--> Zenkinz's Folder Icons <--

If you like my work and want to offer me a beer..

Attachments

• csmi_v1.3.CAB
    283.2 KB · Views: 5,048
  • csmi_v1.4b.CAB
    288.7 KB · Views: 19,131
Last edited:

Lord Spectre

Jun 13, 2007
Italy
Really Awesome! :eek: Thank you Eraser!

Just some questions. Does PNG icon needs a particular resolution?
Is there a limit or a suggested size for PNG file??

Then:
you have to manually remove the application's registry key value "Icon"
Which is the right registry key?

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Glad to be helpful :)

I'm currently using 256x256 png icons :) But the optimal size should be 96x96 if I am not mistaken.

The correct registry key VALUE to remove is "HKLM/Security/Shell/StartInfo/Start/[the_application]/Icon"

Cendaryn

Aug 4, 2005
Salzburg
www.mobilitynews.net
Seems not to work with every application. I just tried to change the Internet Explorer Icon. Works for the Start menu but NOT working in the shortcuts on the today screen (shows the old icon). Tried 96 x 96 and 256 x 256 pixel PNG - none worked for the directlinks on today :(

suggestions?

fredskis

Dec 14, 2008
Brisbane
I assume this won't work with Camera, Google Maps or YouTube either then. :(

I changed them manually in the registry but even though I clear the Sense cache it won't load them :(

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Hi guys.

Don't worry, the application works :) You just need to restart your phone! Some times you don't need this, just change the icon and then add a new shortcut to the Home screen. Sometimes however (when you have already that icon pinned to the homescreen) you need to soft reset. Microsoft WM6.5 Start Menu, differently from HTC Sense, requires you to soft reset your phone in order to see the new icons.

PS: don't mess with HTC Sense cache.. just reset :)

fredskis

Dec 14, 2008
Brisbane
Are you sure you're not lying.
I believed you but it did nothing and now I'm even more disappointed :(
Would you be kind enough to test the YouTube and Camera application as it doesn't work for me.

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Hi, I've just tried with youtube and at first it didn't worked: that's because sense had cached yt icon, while in windows mobile start menu worked as soon as I resetted the phone. I then just removed YouTube link in the home screen, deleted the youtube icon in \Application Data\HTC\ProgLaucher, and then re-added YouTube link in the homescreen.. that did it..

That is currently a limitation in wm6.5 / sense.. I will add some "fixes" in future versions but you will always be required to soft-reset..

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Just released v1.1 which fixes the problem mentioned in the first topic (resetting icons to their original state)

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Strange. It works but once an icon is changed on my HD2, it won't allow a change to another. Almost as if it's a one shot deal. However, on the sense shortcuts, it will allow a change back to the default icon but no matter what you then change it to it will only change to the original icon you swapped the default to.

Bug?

Last edited:

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
there were some bugs in v1.0 which have been fixed in v1.1

what version were you using when you found that bug?

tnyynt

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 18, 2007
Glad to be helpful :)

I'm currently using 256x256 png icons :) But the optimal size should be 96x96 if I am not mistaken.

The correct registry key VALUE to remove is "HKLM/Security/Shell/StartInfo/Start/[the_application]/Icon"

Sense has 120x120 slots, anything below will be scaled and thus blurred. Use 120x120 if you have square icons and use 128x128 for rounded edge icons, because it's a bit difficult to match Sense's slot rounded edges. Anything above this is a waste of space.

Atomzk

Nov 7, 2007
Can someone provide a mirror? RapidShare is nice for sharing the occasional file for a couple of friends, but not really suitable for releasing an application to a much largen audience.

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
strange, i have a premium account.. give me a moment to add another source for download

Eraser85

Sep 1, 2004
Understood. Maybe then you can try to remove the icon from sense, remove the corresponding icon from htc cache and then re-add it to the homescreen.. in this way you are forcing htc sense to re-create items in cache

Atomzk

Nov 7, 2007
Thanks, works nicely. The only exception is messenger which uses two registry keys for the start menu and manilla icon.

Here are a couple of icons I (re)made/adapted.
ic_ap.png
ic_gfish.png
ic_igo.png
ic_msn.png
ic_rescoex.png
ic_s2s.png
ic_tomtom.png

brooon

May 11, 2009
Hey Folks! :)

Can you give me a source where i can get other (fitted) icons for this application? seems to be very useful!...