Boot Loader Lock and alternate ROMs

Search This thread

FRLinux

Aug 31, 2010
Even if it is locked, this device is to big to pass up. I have no doubt there will be a way, there always is.

I am coming from an iPhone where the iPhone Dev's play cat and mouse with Apple each time there is an iOS firmware release.

True on the IOS part but still think there will soon be much better devices tgan SGS 2 announced.

Bilhouse

Apr 14, 2011
I personally have never used a non-stock Android experience phone so it will be interesting to see what TouchWiz 4.0 is like in day to day use.

However if the bootloader is unlocked I will probably end up rooting it and installing a ROM like CyanogenMod.

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
There is no doubt this is (for now) secret info.

We'll be trying to dump a real SGS2 tonight. It's an engineering sample, which means it might have unlocked bootloaders even though retail hasn't. But we have problems even before dumping, so don't get your hopes up.

As for fixing the Galaxy Tab, that was done by employing unlocked bootloaders we already had. The big hack was getting them back on the device in a working state. If the SGS2 comes locked out of the box, we don't have this (major!) advantage. Unless of course we manage to dump this engineering device, we may be in luck.

However, keep in mind that Samsung has not yet released any stock firmware locked. Even for the Galaxy Tab, the firmwares with locks are leaked firmwares, not official ones. There have been official firmwares for the Galaxy Tab after the leaked firmwares, and those official firmwares did not come with locked bootloaders.

As far as I know, there is still not a single official firmware out there which includes locked bootloaders.

As for SamFirmware, sometimes he has correct info, sometimes not. I know I neither like nor trust the guy, though. There's been a lot of "****".

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
[...]
We'll be trying to dump a real SGS2 tonight. It's an engineering sample, which means it might have unlocked bootloaders even though retail hasn't. But we have problems even before dumping, so don't get your hopes up.

As for fixing the Galaxy Tab, that was done by employing unlocked bootloaders we already had. [...]

Sounds promising. What's these problems you are facing "even before dumping"?
About the Galaxy Tab, you never said how it was finally fixed. Did you use bmlunlock and dd'ing back the old bootloader (or parts of it)?

Please keep us updates on the SGS2 progress. Thanks!

FRLinux

Aug 31, 2010
You don't want to know how crappy the kernel is that motorola supplied. E.g. no swap and CyanogenMod 7 for milestone is a port. Not everything works as it should... A lot of random reboots.

Dunno which build you tried last but a friend of mine has his milestone on cm7 and finds the latest builds very good and stable.

MoonRaven

May 26, 2010
Rotterdam
www.jeroenheijster.com
Dunno which build you tried last but a friend of mine has his milestone on cm7 and finds the latest builds very good and stable.

I run the latest build. Also note that without motorola continuing on the kernel we will probably be stuck at 2.3.3. icecream will probably won't accept the 2.2 kernel. We still had to wait for 2.2 while 2.3 was already released too :/

Without the possibility for a custom kernel you can't fix the mistakes the manufacturer made. (no lagfix like was possible for the SGS, no apps2sd was possible untill a 2.2 beta leaked out for the milestone, you should get the point)

Last edited:

FRLinux

Aug 31, 2010
I run the latest build. Also note that without motorola continuing on the kernel we will probably be stuck at 2.3.3. icecream will probably won't accept the 2.2 kernel. We still had to wait for 2.2 while 2.3 was already released too :/

Without the possibility for a custom kernel you can't fix the mistakes the manufacturer made. (no lagfix like was possible for the SGS, no apps2sd was possible untill a 2.2 beta leaked out for the milestone, you should get the point)

Yes. Fairly sad indeed :-(

OHDUSER

Apr 13, 2011
btw, am I the only 1 who thinks something is a little weird?
I mean, mali is not exacly big and widely familliar company, yet they managed, probabaly, to make an awoesme GPU. whats the story behind that? samsung may be promoting them?
anyway, after this (sgs2) mali will never be underestimated ever again! :p

Intratech

Jun 15, 2009
London
btw, am I the only 1 who thinks something is a little weird?
I mean, mali is not exacly big and widely familliar company, yet they managed, probabaly, to make an awoesme GPU. whats the story behind that? samsung may be promoting them?
anyway, after this (sgs2) mali will never be underestimated ever again! :p

You do know that Mali is the name of the ARM graphic processing unit and not a company name right?

Reactions: teh_pwnage

Intratech

Jun 15, 2009
London
Mali is the name of that ARMenian guy who created the company ARM. :cool:
Stop chatting BS.

Initially known as Acorn RISC Machine and now Advanced RISC Machine... ARM.

The Company was founded in November 1990 as Advanced RISC Machines Ltd and structured as a joint venture between Acorn Computers, Apple Computer (now Apple Inc.) and VLSI Technology.

http://www.internationaltrade.co.uk/articles_print.php?CID=44&SCID=&AID=609

Tudor Brown and other ex-employees of the now-defunct Acorn Computers, founded ARM in 1990 as a spin-off of Acorn and Apple

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/05/20/us-summit-arm-idUKTRE64J4NW20100520

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no doubt this is (for now) secret info.

As for fixing the Galaxy Tab, that was done by employing unlocked bootloaders we already had. The big hack was getting them back on the device in a working state. If the SGS2 comes locked out of the box, we don't have this (major!) advantage. Unless of course we manage to dump this engineering device, we may be in luck.

However, keep in mind that Samsung has not yet released any stock firmware locked. Even for the Galaxy Tab, the firmwares with locks are leaked firmwares, not official ones. There have been official firmwares for the Galaxy Tab after the leaked firmwares, and those official firmwares did not come with locked bootloaders.

As far as I know, there is still not a single official firmware out there which includes locked bootloaders.

As for SamFirmware, sometimes he has correct info, sometimes not. I know I neither like nor trust the guy, though. There's been a lot of "****".
    let see if i understand this right, if i where too change the default ROM, too any thing than stock, i will not have my country languish and keyboard, which is Danish and there as you can see have some funny letters. "æøå" :eek:

I have try too find the answer in other threads.
    What you would need to do is obtain the ROM for your particular area and language.
    i.e. If you obtain the ROM file from samfirmware.com you simply pick the ROM file for your area.
    At the moment there are no ROM files listed for the SGSII but to get an idea simply click here and then click on Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II
    According to supercurio's tweet, looks like the device is unlocked:

A source told me #GalaxySII displays a special boot splash if starting a custom ROM or rooted phone. Love the idea. No mention about Kernel

Despite the lack of info for custom Kernels, source confirms that we can flash things. and tells me not to worry :)
    I think he was just joking ;-)
    Hello,

I tried the method of having a Screen Lock PIN, but the password prompt still won't appear in recovery mode. What am I doing wrong?

SG2II with CM9 (ICS) from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1410400

Custom ROMs (ie. custom kernels using CWM) won't do this. It's a stock feature.