[ICS][Alpha|Beta] Q&A

Search This thread

Mav3ric144

Dec 2, 2010
So my Data is working again. Don't know what was the problem. Normally there is a connection available where I stayed for the weekend. But as long as I have a connection here...

Thanks for your help anyways :)

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

aedgdraq

Apr 2, 2012
Could someone confirn on which ICS Rom video playback 720P is working? I mean w/h not with software for exp MX video player.
I've been trying many ISC rom and none support it.

plskillme

Jan 16, 2011
It seems that the 7.2 update of LC's ROM has a significant battery drain as opposed to the 7.0 version of the ROM.

vermaekansh

Aug 20, 2010
Lockscreen image( Corpping)

HI,

while setting the custome lockscreen image, it is asking to corp the image while I want to put the whole image as a lockscreen image.

I there by any chance process we can remove this corping thing in the next build or can add one option to add full image.

thanks.

M

moxell1

Quick question: Can anyone recommend a good network/mobile data speed benchmark tool? I've been using the Speedtest.net app to test my network speed for different kernels but that app either spazzes out or just gives completely inconsistent results.

Obviously, server load, time of day, etc. play factors. I'm trying record a bunch of runs and averaging them to try get more comparable results.

MrImSoGreat

Apr 16, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hey everyone. So far the ICS is working great... Except for the GPS. It cannot find my location for Google Maps or anything else.

I've tried everything I can think up. I tried the AGPS Patch, tried a full wipe of my phone and SD wipe. Any thoughts?

mbudden

Aug 1, 2007
Texas
Hey everyone. So far the ICS is working great... Except for the GPS. It cannot find my location for Google Maps or anything else.

I've tried everything I can think up. I tried the AGPS Patch, tried a full wipe of my phone and SD wipe. Any thoughts?

Did you make sure to select "Internal GPS" in the GPS settings?

Sent from my HTC inspired 4G using Tapatalk 2

vermaekansh

Aug 20, 2010
I tried both BFS/CFS 9.5 kernels yesterday on my IC 7.2 . Worked fine for a while; then the phone locked up so hard, I had to pull the battery out to reboot (the charge LED wouldn't even come on). I've gone back to kernel 9.4.1 and all is well.

Robert

its not more than 3hours i flashed this 9.5 CFS kernel ,and guess what i got the same problem once...

it I got this one more time will definitely get back to the old 9.4 BFS one which came with the 7.2 AOKP.

anjini

Apr 3, 2009
Gig Harbor, WA
Quick question: Can anyone recommend a good network/mobile data speed benchmark tool? I've been using the Speedtest.net app to test my network speed for different kernels but that app either spazzes out or just gives completely inconsistent results.

Obviously, server load, time of day, etc. play factors. I'm trying record a bunch of runs and averaging them to try get more comparable results.

If you are going to manually log your results you could user Toast.net ( http://performance.toast.net/) or http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules/Bandwidth_Meter_DSL/initialmeter.php

Last edited:

sirstroto

May 11, 2011
Status bar

Hi everyone!

I just flashed Icecoldsandwich 7.2, and everything went fine, until suddenly I have no status bar on my homescreen! Whenever I go into an app, or settings, even in the lockscreen - the status bar is back.

Is there anything to do, except reflash?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This was embarassing... I didn't find the one setting called "Show notification bar". Thought I checked everywhere. :$

Last edited:

vermaekansh

Aug 20, 2010
kernel

seriously kernel 9.5 BFS/CFS gave me two solid screen lock that i cant even see that led while charging the phone...the only solution is to pull out the battery..

back on 9.4.1 CFS hope it will not give me hard time.

@Lord i think this issue should be look upon.

thaanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tips for IceColdSandwich DHD/Inspire - LorD ClockaN

If you have any questions, if you need some help or support, please ask in this thread and not in the [ROM]-thread (only for developers or real bugs reports with logcat). Let us know if you've flashed the rom after a full wipe or not, which build version, DPI Density you use, what you've already done to fix the issue. Thank you

Here is a list of the most common reported issues and solutions given by users on the threads (thank you to _Man0waR_ to have rewrited the text in better english) - This list will be updated time to time.

1. MMS not working if Wi-Fi disabled?
    With Android 4, Data network must be enable to receive/send MMS. For some users, Wi-fi must be activate too.

Receiving/Sending MMS without Wi-Fi depends on APN settings and of carriers
    - Verify that settings are the newest, according to your carrier's information
    - Try to create only one APN with all settings for Internet AND MMS -
    - Test with default,supl,mms or default,supl or default in APN-Type

A solution given by ALIEN in dev's thread:
    1. Remove the default MMS APN even though it had the correct details in it for the MMS to work.
    2. Create a new MMS APN with the same settings as before
    3. Make sure this APN is selected and reboot phone.

Verify SMSC in Informations of the phone
    1. In call dialer, type *#*#4636#*#* (or *#*#info#*#*)
    2. In Informations about Phone, look at the number in SMSC - if the field is empty, use refresh to see the number
    3. Compare with the one of your carrier (typing SMSC - name of your carrier - country will help to find it)
    4. If the number is wrong, clear the field and type the right number (don't forget to write the current number somewhere if the new one doesn't work!!!)
    5. Press Update
    Try sending/receiving MMS
    If it doesn't solve the problem, try to convert the SMSC number: look at this tread

2. Troubles to buy applications or other issues with Google Play Store
    - First of all, stop Play Store application - clear Data - Reboot - Test.

"An error occured. Please try again" (Thank to Twistedumbrella)
    In a root explorer
    - Open /data/system/ (R/W permissions needed)
    - Delete the files accounts.db and accounts.db-journal
    - Reboot - Open Play store and register with your account
    With adb,
    - rm /data/system/accounts.db
    - rm /data/system/accounts.db-journal
    - Reboot - Open Play Store and log in

Compatibility issues with low DPI
    The rom has a modded Market/Playstore to allow downloading/updating applications in all DPI. But, to buy applications, set DPI to 240.
    - Follow all the steps in Settings / RomControl / GeneralUI - LCD Density
    or
    - Try with this MOD Play Store

If the issue is not solved, test following solutions:
    - Flash Gapps ICS (available with GooManager application installed in the rom). Scroll the list to find newest Gapps for ICS.
    - Install another PlayStore: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24263815&postcount=13166
    - Install old Market by following the step in this message.
    A user report that flashing the newest Gapps ICS after installation of old Market let him use Play Store without any problem (buying apps too).

If previous steps don't help, try following solution with Market Unlocker (thanks to semdoc)
    To work with Android Market 3.x and Google Play Store,
    1. Turn on flight mode
    2. Enable Market Unlocker and auto unlock (by default Verizon is configured)
    3. Got to system Setting => Applications => Manage applications => All => Market, and click "Clear data"
    4. Reboot phone
    5. Turn on Wifi/3G
    6. Wait google service sync-up completed or refresh in Gmail.
    7. Open Android Market or Google Play Store. Paid apps are there.
    Turn off flight mode now.

Amazon Appstore does not allow users to buy paid apps from outside USA, even if users have been registered use US credit card and billing address. Market Unlocker will set USA proxy to help you buy daily free apps as well as paid apps.

To work with Amazon Appstore outside USA,
    First install Appstore app, otherwise the function will not be visible.
    1. Go to Proxy tab
    2. Click edit icon beside "Proxy For Applications", select "Amazon Appstore" in list, and click OK button.
    3. Configure Proxy Type, Proxy Host, Proxy Port. Please make sure you're using an effect USA proxy server first.
    4. Switch "Enable Proxy" to "ON"
    5. Open Amazon Appstore and enjoy

3. Problems with applications after flashing the rom
    - Clear the cache of the application
    - Try to fix the permissions
    - Uninstall the application, delete the folder of the application if one exists on the SDCard then reinstall and test the application again.

Error "Insufficient Storage memory available" while update or installation
    - Run Root Explorer or a file manager with root option
    - In /data/app, search a file _name_of_app.odex and, if exists, delete it
    - Try update or installation of the application
    If the issue is still there,
    - if not done: uninstall the application first
    - In your file manager, do a new search on thename_of_your_app and delete all files ignored by the uninstall process.
    - Try the installation

4. Text unreadable or scrambled
    This issue happens sometimes after flashing a rom and does not come again after a while
    - Use Long press on Back button to kill the application (to enable in Settings/RomControl/GeneralUI - option Hold Back to Kill)

5. Camera
    Native camera works in portrait mode. Landscape mode works too but have no settings.
    Native Camcorder works at 480p
    If you get force close on first use, go to Manage Applications and clean Data/Cache of camera.

6. Widget Weather
    Weather centered and information not squished together in the drop down menu:
    Solution given by semdoc:
    - Open ROM Control -> Weather -> Statusbar Weather Style.
    - Tick on "Disabled". Then activate the Weather Panel again.
    - Tick on "Get Weather".
    - Now it should be fine.

Force Close of SystemUI or even reboot when Weather Widget is enabled.
    - Verify your custom location settings (look at the samples given in the options). Behaviours like Force Close or even random reboots can occur if an invalid setting is set in custom location.
    - Try out without custom location - Enable services in Settings - Location services.

7. Random reboots and new SIM card detected
    - Verify custom location in Weather
    - Delete LOST.DIR and .android_secure on the SdCard and reboot

8. Phone.apk Force Close when calling
    - To fix that issue, set the LCD screen Density to 190 dpi or higher. Some users report that in DPI182 it works fine too.
    - Try with another phone.apk: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24197125&postcount=216

9. I Don't like the Nova Launcher - I prefer Apex....
    Since version 5.1 of the rom, 2 Launchers are provided: Trebuchet and Nova (most of users answering the poll asked for Nova Launcher).
    If you don't like it:
    Before flashing: open the zip of the rom and delete novalauncher.apk in system - app.
    After flashing:
    - Download and install your preferred launcher
    - Deactivate Nova
    - Mount system in an file manager
    - Delete novalauncher.apk in system/app
    Apex Launcher preferred? Here is the link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1452663 (Apex Launcher can also be downloaded from the market now)

10. No GPS?
    - In Settings - Localisation services - Sources GPS : activate Use internal GPS
    or
    - Try this fix http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1239713 (thanks RED_)
    - Try this patch: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1252011 (thanks mbudden)
    - Solution given by Monster598:
    I had issues as well. I used the agps script..with no luck. this is all with google nav. i tried a 3rd party nav and it worked great. so the problem was with google navigation.
    I clean up the data and even uninstalled the updates with no luck. what fixed it was a getting a lock in google nav, then turning gps off then back on again. after this no gps locking issues. Please note this is with the agps script still installed so it may have helped.

11. Issues with Email or Exchange
    Email or GMail or Exchange force close
    Try to clear data and cache of the application, reboot and test.
    If the issue is the same, use GooManager (in applications list) to download the Gapps ICS (scroll to find the newest) and reinstall.

Exchange: Problem to send emails
    Email and Exchange ICS inverted work for some users. Source and download link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1544471.

Issues with Email.apk
    Errors like FolderSync failed: 142 (NotProvisioned) - V/EAS P****r( 3088): Policy not supported: 936 or 938: Apply this fix - and it will works. awesome (thank to burnout11)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1117452#post14577188

12. White-only pages with native browser and some other issues
    Disable the option "Enable OpenGL Rendering" in Settings - Debug of the browser. Enable this only on webistes that need it.

13. FM Radio
    Yes! FM Radio works - Use Spirit FM Free from the Market/Play Store. In Settings - Regional band: choose your country - Audio / Method: try qdsp5v2 or qdsp5v2+ - FM radio can works with speaker as Output device, but not always. Best is using headset.

14. Locking screen (sleep) issues
    Before using an lock screen application or widget, be sure it is fully compatible with ICS. Lock Screen Widget was last updated in september 2010! Lock Screen App does not work with Android 4.0.4. (info on Play store).

Here is the workaround to get the screen turned off properly (thank to Reasonable_Man)
    Go to "Setting > Security > Screen lock" and choose "None".
    This will disable the system lock screen and the screen will be turned off properly. If you still need your screen lock, you have to install other 3rd party screen lock apps such as WidgetLocker or Milocker etc.

15. Light on sensitive buttons
    Go to Settings - Display: Depends of your settings, turn auto brightness on then off or off then on.

16. Enabling "Tablet mode":
    In Settings - Display: Enable DualPane + set Text size into Huge
    In RomControl - General UI / LCD Density - 5. Change Density to... - use option "custom" to set DPI to a value >120 and <128
    Reboot
    Some options for the navigation bar are available in Settings - RomControl (some options don't work)
    Notice: if you have problems with Play Store, look at point 2 in this message.

17. Youtube and Gapps issues
    Last updates of Youtube or some Gapps don't work on ICS custom roms (FC or even reboots).
    - Use Menu - Manage Applications
    - Open Youtube or the faulty Gapps
    - Choose Uninstall updates
    To test: "modded" update of Youtube (attachment in message)]

Full wipe or not?
    - Full wipe is highly recommended when flashing a new release. For test versions, it depends on the issues or problems you had in the previous version. If you want to report bugs, a full wipe is requested.

Very good tips to help aleviate some issues - given by cstayton
    1. always wipe dalvik/cache and boot when doing a full wipe.
    2. after flashing let your device set untouched for 5 or 10 minutes
    (even though it is setting at the setup screen there is likely still many active
    tasks happening in the background)
    3. once you have gone through the setup wizard reboot your device before installing any applications or changing settings.
    4. leave all performance settings and dpi settings for last this can help aleviate alot of wierd glitches..

- Deleting LOST.DIR and .android_secure on SDCard could prevent issues with pin code requests, etc.

Miscellaneous Tools
    Proximity Calibrator: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=951858 (from leppie)
    Kernel UV package: http://dev-host.org/zsjpre24s84h/LordModUVv4.zip (from flappjaxxx and Alienmind)
    V6 Supercharger by zeppelinrox:
    * original thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991276
    * a very good tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334834

Tips and Tricks - Goodies
    for Saving Battery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1189755
    All mods for IceColdSandwich - in Message 2 of devs thread
    Keyboard: HTC IME fixed for ICS roms,
    Universal HiRes Lockscreen Icons
    : Should work for any version of LC's IceColdSandwich and any AOKP roms. Flash it. If it breaks then reboot into recovery and flash the autogenerated backup file.
    Carrier Logo for your StatusBar! (thank to The Unknown Noob)
    4EXT Recovery themes: by pondikos or by johnblundon
    Mod "Search button as Recent Apps" | the source (in IceColdSandwich thread)

Hope these infos can help

Thank you for trying ICS. If you have any questions, concerns, suggestions, complaints, etc. please post them here and not in the Development thread. One of the team members will be glad to help you.

We only have two rules. Please do a simple search for your question in the FAQ section below or in this thread before posting your question. Chances are good, the question has already been asked and answered. Also, when you ask a question, please make sure you are as specific as possible so we can pinpoint the problem. We thank you ahead of time for your cooperation.

Please remember this is alpha...there is stuff that doesn't work yet!

please don't post bug reports here! We have a bug tracker for that http://code.google.com/p/ics-htc-ace/issues/list

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium
    FAQ:
    SupportingMaterialsHOWTO
    [Q]: how do I remove the red border?
    [A]: The best way is to edit build.prop.
    Change:
    ro.build.type:eng
    To:
    ro.build.type:user

[Q]: where can I find a working gapps with calendar?
    [A]: check out this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19854052&postcount=2476

or mirrors folder is:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nhz2n89nlz8xcld,va3z3im3ovm521c

Accelerometer doesn't work.

Apn settings:

Go to Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

Hit Menu > New APN

Use the following settings based on your carrier.

AT&T (Inspire)

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    mms protocol: wap 2.0
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN Type: leave blank

For other carriers you will need to Google to find these settings.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium
    Can someone tell me the difference between the CFS and the BFS kernel?

Thanks

BFS is designed to focus on the main app installed, and process everything around the open app.

CFS is built around multi-tasking power. In general most people will prefer CFS because you notice less issues. If your a single app kind of person use BFS since your focused, but your scrolling, and swiping actions will be a little more laggy.

Can Inspire users use the BFS kernel?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

yes they can
    FAQs

Phone crashes at 160 dpi, can this be fixed?

Currently not fixed, but overcome. It is not the layouts but the code itself. There is a phone.apk that can be found in the thread, but you will lose the extended features.

Market won't install paid application, is this right?

Some versions of market on some dpis face this issue. Try updating market, clearing the data and cache for it in settings, and if all else fails reverting the dpi to 240

I saw XXX on this other forum can you add that?

Post the link and say you found a cool feature and I am sure it will be looked at, but don't freak out if it is not added. If it wasn't, there is a reason. If there is only one link, 30 posts won't make the content any different.

I saw XXX device had YYY working, will that help?

No. Unless it was the same device, or a sibling of this device (Vivow, Thunderbolt) then chances are it is nice and all, but useless here

I read that last one, but the hardware is the same and they just released their ZZZ rom, will that help?

Even less so because now you are talking about taking a prebuilt ROM and somehow reverse engineering it back into source. If the fix is that great, it will be found (in source form) when the author wants it to be or someone designs an alternative

Hey, so I was searching but nobody mentioned XXX was broken..?

I assure you at least 100 people have, but if they were equally detailed in their report it will be just another blade of grass in a field. If you installed mods, scripts, backups, etc try without them. If you did something specific, try to recreate it so you can describe it in a way it can be tested. If you didn't wipe (phone or @$$) try that as well, it helps

Anything else you may want to ask should be done using GOOD JUDGEMENT. I know the minimum age is 13, but there are plenty of children younger than that fully capable of expressing their needs, desires, and problems successfully. It should be easy for those having much more time to have learned to do so. Don't disappoint you parents.