[GUIDE] ROOT INSTRUCTIONS + Enable Developer options Read BEFORE you attempt root!!

Search This thread

kevnuke

Sep 9, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
**WARNING: BY ROOTING YOUR PHONE AND FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOID. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THIS OPERATION**

This guide is intended to prevent some adventurous new Galaxy S 4 owner from bricking their brand new phone

DO THIS BEFORE CONNECTING YOUR PHONE TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE FIRST TIME

This is also the future home of the collection of kernels, ROMs, Mods, etc that will be in development in the near future (hopefully).

Adam Outler and crew are currently trying to unlock the AT&T Galaxy S 4 bootloader. Please go to their thread and show their THANKS buttons some love.

HOWEVER, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THEIR R&D!!
READ "The rules" IN THE OP

This method of root was exploited by djrbliss. Please visit the original thread and thank him by any means you see fit.

This is not done through download mode or recovery, so don't worry about any button combos. The phone just needs to powered on and running the way you would normally use it.

First things first. You should begin downloading the files you'll need later on.

Download the latest Samsung USB Drivers and the Root Exploit Executable
samsungSGS4drivers_step02_zps35321969.png

samsungSGS4drivers_step01_zps48c50e07.png

Begin installing the Samsung USB Drivers.
samsungSGS4drivers_step03_zpsca6deed7.png

It can appear that the installer program isn't doing anything for a while so just be patient.

When the motochopper.zip file finishes downloading
samsungSGS4root_step01_zpsa10e8353.png

right-click on it and select Extract All...
samsungSGS4root_step02_zps6751d051.png

I usually just leave it at the default location and click Extract
samsungSGS4root_step03_zpsd10d66fe.png

It should finish this fairly quickly. When it does finish, open the motochopper folder in the resulting window. You can now ignore this window until you need it later.
samsungSGS4root_step04_zpscd5100c7.png

samsungSGS4root_step05_zps1828f3a1.png

For the sake of efficient use of time, while the drivers are being installed and motochopper.zip is being extracted, you should turn your attention to the phone itself. It needs to be prepared for being connected to your computer for the first time.

USB debugging within Developer options needs to be enabled to use this exploit. There are some that would say that if you don't know how to do this, you shouldn't be in the development forums. To them I say, "Everyone had to learn from somewhere. WHY NOT HERE??" :laugh:

To enable Developer options, open Settings and click on the "More" tab, then "About device". Mine shows where Developer options will be after doing this.
samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step01_zps814f65e7.png

Near the bottom is an entry called "Build number", click on it repeatedly (7 times) until a toast pops up telling you that developer mode is on.
samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step02_zps60299f61.png

Press the back softkey and click on "Developer options". If you don't see it, you didn't click the "Build number" enough times.

DO NOT CHANGE ANY ENTRIES IN THIS SECTION WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY DO FIRST!!

Click on USB debugging
samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step03_zpsdf4f9981.png

click OK on the "Allow USB debugging" window that pops up.
samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step04_zpsc23aab0b.png

When the Samsung USB Drivers are finished installing, connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable that came with your phone. Windows Update should start looking for software for your phone immediately as indicated by the popup window that appears at the bottom-right of your screen when you have your phone connected to the computer. You can click on this window to watch it's progress, or simply wait for the next one telling you that your device is ready to use.

After you see this dialog, go back to the folder that opened when you extracted motochopper.zip and double-click on the file named run.bat
samsungSGS4root_step06_zpsa88fae52.png

and click Run on the dialog window that pops up.
samsungSGS4root_step07_zps1b7b52b9.png

when the command line window appears, press enter to begin rooting your phone.
samsungSGS4root_step08_zpsa6e156bb.png

A dialog window will appear on your phone asking you for permission to let ADB execute commands. Click OK.

when the rooting process finishes, press enter to reboot the phone and close the command line window.
samsungSGS4root_step09_zpsbc1a14bf.png

**YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED AND YOU CAN USE APPS THAT REQUIRE ROOT**

Last edited:

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
no offense but the OG thread does a good job of explaining it i dont see the need for this one? so im not sure what the intentions are?

Reactions: madquack

alacrify

Jan 12, 2009
no offense but the OG thread does a good job of explaining it i dont see the need for this one? so im not sure what the intentions are?

Agreed - except for "enabling Developer options and USB Debugging" which I thought might be good in the OP of the "real" thread (and frankly is not called out well in this OP), this doesn't seem to add anything.

XsMagical

Apr 13, 2011
Ft. Myers
RobbysLife.com
No need to clutter the Development thread with guides, thats what General is for. I'm sure this will help someone but its still in the wrong section unless you have a kernel or rom to post.

kevnuke

Sep 9, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
I posted it here because this is where people trying to root their phone will look. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It makes the 6+ hours I spent on it all worth it, even after none of my screenshots showed for some reason.

Reactions: Rooted i747

howtomen

Jan 10, 2011
Brea CA
I posted it here because this is where people trying to root their phone will look. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. It makes the 6+ hours I spent on it all worth it, even after none of my screenshots showed for some reason.

dude 6 hours on a guide with screenshots? chillax we were just saying u went above and beyond to provide info that is simply already there... and people should look at all forums for a root method. also... no way this should take 6+ hours man dont trip

kevnuke

Sep 9, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
dude 6 hours on a guide with screenshots? chillax we were just saying u went above and beyond to provide info that is simply already there... and people should look at all forums for a root method. also... no way this should take 6+ hours man dont trip

Thanks for the clarification. This is my first guide and I had to figure things out as I went. Any idea why the pictures didn't work? I used the IMG tag.

Swyped from the 4th Galaxy on XDA Premium

XsMagical

Apr 13, 2011
Ft. Myers
RobbysLife.com
Thanks for the clarification. This is my first guide and I had to figure things out as I went. Any idea why the pictures didn't work? I used the IMG tag.

your images didnt show because you used Google to share them, you need the direct image URL and google wont give you that. Try image shack or something like that. its what i use when hosting images.

Reactions: sptrsn and kevnuke

kevnuke

Sep 9, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
your images didnt show because you used Google to share them, you need the direct image URL and google wont give you that. Try image shack or something like that. its what i use when hosting images.

Thanks I'll fix it tomorrow after work.

EDIT: Links updated last night.

Last edited:

fsimmler

Feb 7, 2011
Good evening,
I have been trying to room my AT&T i337 for 3 days now and have failed every time. I have enabled developer but NEVER get the popup on my phone to approve ADB connection. The motochopper script fails each time. Is there something I am missing? This is getting to be a problem because I need to be able to run WIFI Tether for work.... Help!

sptrsn

Dec 6, 2012
Good evening,
I have been trying to room my AT&T i337 for 3 days now and have failed every time. I have enabled developer but NEVER get the popup on my phone to approve ADB connection. The motochopper script fails each time. Is there something I am missing? This is getting to be a problem because I need to be able to run WIFI Tether for work.... Help!

Are you using a new or known good cable? Try re downlooading the zip.
Make sure you extracted the zip. Remove and reinstall device drivers.
Have you tried foxfi in the playstore?
I'm not rooted and it works for me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

fsimmler

Feb 7, 2011
Well... Yes, I have tried them all, and some.

Are you using a new or known good cable? Try re downlooading the zip.
Make sure you extracted the zip. Remove and reinstall device drivers.
Have you tried foxfi in the playstore?
I'm not rooted and it works for me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

Thank you for the fast response. I am using the USB that came with the phone. I have tried multiple USB ports on my computer and have gotten the Motochopper file from 3 different locations. I have downloaded the USB driver from Samsung twice and installed. I even tried 2 different computers. I am at wits end....
I wrote Foxfi to see if this phone is compatible and hope they respond shortly.
Thanks,
Fred

fsimmler

Feb 7, 2011
Fixed missing ADB connection

Wow, I seemed to have fixed the problem myself by chance. I executed the adb.exe file in the Motochopper folder as a stand alone (a few times in fact) and the next time I connected my phone I got the pop-up to accept and was able to root it! In all the posts I have read, not once has anyone mentioned this. Wow, rooted at last! Thanks! :laugh:

Reactions: kevnuke

kevnuke

Sep 9, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Wow, I seemed to have fixed the problem myself by chance. I executed the adb.exe file in the Motochopper folder as a stand alone (a few times in fact) and the next time I connected my phone I got the pop-up to accept and was able to root it! In all the posts I have read, not once has anyone mentioned this. Wow, rooted at last! Thanks! :laugh:

In the attempts before that, did the command line window even open when you tried to run the batch file?

EDIT: Typo

signedlongint

Nov 22, 2011
Something that neither root guide mentions in the OP is that you might also need to disable "Verify apps via USB." It was disabled the first time I rooted, but it was enabled after I did a factory reset and rooted again. If root is failing, see if that option is checked and uncheck it if it is.

Can't attach or post a link, yet, or I'd include a an actual link to a screenshot. URL here: i.imgur.com/Ord8xxj.png

Reactions: kevnuke

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas

now that you are rooted...what is your next move? just out of curiosity.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **WARNING: BY ROOTING YOUR PHONE AND FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOID. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THIS OPERATION**

This guide is intended to prevent some adventurous new Galaxy S 4 owner from bricking their brand new phone

DO THIS BEFORE CONNECTING YOUR PHONE TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR THE FIRST TIME

This is also the future home of the collection of kernels, ROMs, Mods, etc that will be in development in the near future (hopefully).

Adam Outler and crew are currently trying to unlock the AT&T Galaxy S 4 bootloader. Please go to their thread and show their THANKS buttons some love.

HOWEVER, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THEIR R&D!!
    READ "The rules" IN THE OP

This method of root was exploited by djrbliss. Please visit the original thread and thank him by any means you see fit.

This is not done through download mode or recovery, so don't worry about any button combos. The phone just needs to powered on and running the way you would normally use it.

First things first. You should begin downloading the files you'll need later on.

Download the latest Samsung USB Drivers and the Root Exploit Executable
    samsungSGS4drivers_step02_zps35321969.png

samsungSGS4drivers_step01_zps48c50e07.png

Begin installing the Samsung USB Drivers.
    samsungSGS4drivers_step03_zpsca6deed7.png

It can appear that the installer program isn't doing anything for a while so just be patient.

When the motochopper.zip file finishes downloading
    samsungSGS4root_step01_zpsa10e8353.png

right-click on it and select Extract All...
    samsungSGS4root_step02_zps6751d051.png

I usually just leave it at the default location and click Extract
    samsungSGS4root_step03_zpsd10d66fe.png

It should finish this fairly quickly. When it does finish, open the motochopper folder in the resulting window. You can now ignore this window until you need it later.
    samsungSGS4root_step04_zpscd5100c7.png

samsungSGS4root_step05_zps1828f3a1.png

For the sake of efficient use of time, while the drivers are being installed and motochopper.zip is being extracted, you should turn your attention to the phone itself. It needs to be prepared for being connected to your computer for the first time.

USB debugging within Developer options needs to be enabled to use this exploit. There are some that would say that if you don't know how to do this, you shouldn't be in the development forums. To them I say, "Everyone had to learn from somewhere. WHY NOT HERE??" :laugh:

To enable Developer options, open Settings and click on the "More" tab, then "About device". Mine shows where Developer options will be after doing this.
    samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step01_zps814f65e7.png

Near the bottom is an entry called "Build number", click on it repeatedly (7 times) until a toast pops up telling you that developer mode is on.
    samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step02_zps60299f61.png

Press the back softkey and click on "Developer options". If you don't see it, you didn't click the "Build number" enough times.

DO NOT CHANGE ANY ENTRIES IN THIS SECTION WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY DO FIRST!!

Click on USB debugging
    samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step03_zpsdf4f9981.png

click OK on the "Allow USB debugging" window that pops up.
    samsungSGS4USBdebugging_step04_zpsc23aab0b.png

When the Samsung USB Drivers are finished installing, connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable that came with your phone. Windows Update should start looking for software for your phone immediately as indicated by the popup window that appears at the bottom-right of your screen when you have your phone connected to the computer. You can click on this window to watch it's progress, or simply wait for the next one telling you that your device is ready to use.

After you see this dialog, go back to the folder that opened when you extracted motochopper.zip and double-click on the file named run.bat
    samsungSGS4root_step06_zpsa88fae52.png

and click Run on the dialog window that pops up.
    samsungSGS4root_step07_zps1b7b52b9.png

when the command line window appears, press enter to begin rooting your phone.
    samsungSGS4root_step08_zpsa6e156bb.png

A dialog window will appear on your phone asking you for permission to let ADB execute commands. Click OK.

when the rooting process finishes, press enter to reboot the phone and close the command line window.
    samsungSGS4root_step09_zpsbc1a14bf.png

**YOUR PHONE IS NOW ROOTED AND YOU CAN USE APPS THAT REQUIRE ROOT**

Fixed missing ADB connection