[Q] Putting videos on your HTC ONE

Search This thread

Pargeo

Nov 18, 2009
No. It's MTP. You need a recent Windows Media Player if you're using Windows. You should be able to use HTC sync manager.

My HTC ONE is shown as an add-on device and I can copy anything onto/ from it normally, by dragging / dropping. This behaviour is observed both in Win8 and in Win7. The phone itself is not rooted and it has a stock firmware

dobknobby

May 12, 2010
Bracknell
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Couldnt agree more, i run Windows 8 (Laptop) and Windows 7 (PC) and on both machines, once connected my One, it comes up as a storage device in My Computer, so i drag and drop, Pics, Music, Vids to and from phone...

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
My HTC ONE is shown as an add-on device and I can copy anything onto/ from it normally, by dragging / dropping. This behaviour is observed both in Win8 and in Win7. The phone itself is not rooted and it has a stock firmware

...but that doesn't make it USB Mass Storage.

It uses Media Transfer Protocol, something that could have better support on linux and mac.

For example, I doubt you could plug it into a digital picture frame or network media player and have it work.

Pargeo

Nov 18, 2009
...but that doesn't make it USB Mass Storage.

It uses Media Transfer Protocol, something that could have better support on linux and mac.

For example, I doubt you could plug it into a digital picture frame or network media player and have it work.

If an animal walks like a dog and barks like dog...

Being a layman, I have no idea about what protocol precisely HTC One uses internally, and tbh I don't care since it works exactly like a normal USB device with both of my PCs.

damagecase13

May 11, 2007
I plug it in, it shows up in my computer, I drag and drop all my types of media into their folder and I'm good to go.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
If an animal walks like a dog and barks like dog...

Being a layman, I have no idea about what protocol precisely HTC One uses internally, and tbh I don't care since it works exactly like a normal USB device with both of my PCs.

Good for you. However, it's not as easy if you're not running Windows 7 or Windows 8 because it doesn't support UMS, it supports MTP, so in this case it neither walks or barks like a dog.

cat-found-poster.jpg

Next time, if somebody posts "Since this phone doesn't function in USB MAss Storage mode", you'll know it "doesn't function in USB Mass Storage mode" and you'll have no need to incorrectly correct them.

Last edited:

Pargeo

Nov 18, 2009
Good for you. However, it's not as easy if you're not running Windows 7 or Windows 8 because it doesn't support UMS, it supports MTP, so in this case it neither walks or barks like a dog.

attachment.php

Next time, if somebody posts "Since this phone doesn't function in USB MAss Storage mode", you'll know it "doesn't function in USB Mass Storage mode" and you'll have no need to incorrectly correct them.

I'm sorry if I sounded ignorantly offensive - but the initial question was 'how to put a video from a PC to the phone', right? You don't need HTC sync manager installed on your PC to do that, you just locate your phone among the devices, open it and just drag and drop your videos. (I believe I can assume the topic starter has a PC with Win8 or Win7 on it)

Sometimes too much explaining ends up in people deciding against buying something, if they encounter some strange acronyms...

PRichardson

Apr 12, 2011
Louisville
PJRichardson.com
Please please please!!!

Holy Freaking Crap!!!

If you're rooted, you can mount your phone through USB as a mass storage device in recovery. Assuming you are not, you can try something like AirDroid.

PLEASE BE CORRECT!!! I just booted into TWRP and my Win7Ult box shows the drive as USB but is not accessible. I'd like to copy over about 10 to 20 Gb of media at a time. In the good ol' days, I'd have a bunch of microSD cards, and just pop one in and the other out (1 minute flat, DONE!). But even just syncing, I always had the option to set it and forget it, moving over tons of audio, video, etc. via USB sync programs, such as SyncBack, which will not work with MTP.

So, here I am, wondering if you have some method I don't know about. MTP always stalls and hangs on that much data, and I don't want to use Windows Media Player, etc. just to copy media over (I don't use "libraries").

Will this work with TWRP? Must it be CWM recovery?:D

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Holy Freaking Crap!!!

PLEASE BE CORRECT!!! I just booted into TWRP and my Win7Ult box shows the drive as USB but is not accessible. I'd like to copy over about 10 to 20 Gb of media at a time. In the good ol' days, I'd have a bunch of microSD cards, and just pop one in and the other out (1 minute flat, DONE!). But even just syncing, I always had the option to set it and forget it, moving over tons of audio, video, etc. via USB sync programs, such as SyncBack, which will not work with MTP.

So, here I am, wondering if you have some method I don't know about. MTP always stalls and hangs on that much data, and I don't want to use Windows Media Player, etc. just to copy media over (I don't use "libraries").

Will this work with TWRP? Must it be CWM recovery?:D

From my experience with TWRP on my HoX, it has a "Mount" feature where you can mount the SD through USB and it will be a Mass Storage device. Full speed transfers ;) Try going into recovery and see if there is a Mount option. Should be under Advanced I think. I have not rooted my HO yet as I'm sending it for warranty for a faulty NFC chip :)

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
But the recovery is from the same team, and that's why I asked the OP to check if his recovery has a mount feature :)

The One X started life as a UMS (USB Mass Storage) device on ICS, meaning it has a separate partition, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) was added with JB.

The One started life as MTP with JB. There is no separate partition, supporting UMS is much harder as you'd have to emulate significant parts of the FAT filesystem and UMS protocol on top of EXT4.

TWRP Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2173870

"PC USB Mass Storage:
You can't! http://teamw.in/DataMedia"

QED

purple170503

Mar 14, 2014
Having Movie Problems too

Hi, I have the HTC One and when I try and drag an MP4 movie onto it all I get is a message that the format is not supported and tells me to skip it. I had a MP4 movie on there which played fine, i deleted it and then tried to reinstall and got the same message. has anyone please got any ideas? thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same problem, but i just installed Android File Transfer, from android.com/filetransfer And it works perfectly