Updated 4-3 Enhanced ICS Camera 1.3.1 (FC24) + How-To

Search This thread

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
4-3 v1.3.1 for FC24 is out!! Nothing has changed from 1.2.8. I just incorporated the fix for the low battery issue Calkulin added. Again, watch those file sizes - they get big very quickly.

I've been working on this for a while. Just a little rundown this is the camera from Calkulin's ICS rom so anything he's added to it is still there. I've tested it myself and it works - just make sure to read everything and install it correctly.

*There's an audio/video sync issue, this is across all roms and multiple phones that have this mod. So far there is no fix but it's being looked in to. Until then thanks to rafalense there is a solution to re-sync everthing after you record it.

Use Avidemux (Windows/Linux/BSD/Mac)
Follow rafalense post on using it. HERE

What I've changed:

1080p new(stock)
Superfine: 24Mbit (17)
Fine: 18Mbit (15)
Normal: 14Mbit (13)

720p
Superfine: 18Mbit (12)
Fine: 14Mbit (10)
Normal: 10Mbit (8)

640x480 - because it's used for the front facing camera also
Superfine: 3.159Mbit (3.078)
Will implement in next version.

Audio bitrates for these is 128kbps (64 stock)
Sampling rate 48kHz (unchanged from Calkulin's, stock is 16kHz)

While I did put in the time doing the conversions, decompiling, and other stuff - I did not make it silent and a few other things. Credits for that goes to:

• Calkulin - ICS goodness, making it silent, other mods I didn't do to this apk.
  • Agat63 - For helping me out and supporting me on this. Also for including this mod in his rom.
  • rafalense - For his post on editing the arrays.

To install just use Root Explorer. Any others using adb or terminal - I assume you know what you're doing already there with cp, chmod, and chown commands. Just in case though I put them up in the second post

Just a note: It may close on you a few times - this is normal from what I can tell. After a few tries and a minute or so it will work flawlessly. Also, feel free to bake this into your roms or whatever you desire. Just make sure to give me and others credit if you do.

U haz the bugz? Post them. I'm still new to this but I'll do my best to get them resolved. Have a solution? Post it. Don't leave others hanging.

Attachments

• BlurayMod1.2.8(128kbps)FC07.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • BlurayMod1.3.0(128kbps)FC18.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • BlurayMod1.3.1(128kbps)FC24.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 355
Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Terminal code and future plans

Flashable zip located in first post. If you like to do it the 'hard' way, want to learn, or you're just old school like that the permissions for both are rw,r,r change owner/group to root also.

In terminal:
Code:
$su
#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
#cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/etc
or
#cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/app
#chmod 644 /path/to/file

Then to change owner/group:

#cmown root:root /path/to/file
#reboot

That should get you taken care of :D

Future plans
More audio adjustments (hopefully 192 without it cutting out)
Increase front cameras 640x480 bitrate
Try to get the time between each picture down.
Raise the FPS above 30 (might be hardware limited)
Currently checking with the OP of THIS thread. Hopefully we can get some of these mods included also. < I got the ok from the dev so I'll be decompiling over the next few days and looking through it to see how/if any of it can be added to this one.

If you can help with any of these (or more) please jump in. I'd especially like some help from anyone knowledgeable in audio/video or photography to help on numbers for quality tweaks. some questions I have are:
Since we only have one mic does setting audio recording to 2 channel really matter or is it better to set it to 1 and let the playback equipment (home theater or VLC for example) decode it to stereo?
How high should the bitrates (video) go before it becomes unnoticeable in terms of quality?
I've heard the stock audio gain is too high - if I can adjust it, how much should I drop it?

If you'd like to see how this is done and try it yourself I have a how-to on page 8, post 75. LINK There's also a 'cheat sheet' attached to the post.

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I'm doing what I can. It's my only one also not to mention I can take it into concerts that won't allow video cameras.

I'm working on the fps setting. I've read that Sammy didn't give us much to play with in that area but hopefully I can get it above 30fps. The bitrates for video can go higher but Potatoman over on the i9100 forum says it doesn't make a difference past 24 or so. It just makes a huge file.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park

Haven't checked. If it wasn't fixed in Calkulins then it's the same here. I didn't mess with any of that yet. Let me check and I'll update this post.

UPDATE: The image is flipped. It flips it to what someone looking at you would see - not what's on the screen which is more like a reflection in a mirror.

Will this work on gingerbread?
As long as you have a unicorn in your driveway pooping Skittles. Seriously though (you know it will be asked) this doesn't not in any way work on Gingerbread. I actually made one for GB, jst search around in the General section for the E4GT.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingdazy

spankmaster

Nov 22, 2009
Marietta
i deleted the original camera.apk and replace it with this one, is that all I should have to do to install? I click on in to install like a normal apk but it gives me a parsing error.

Edit: Just a bad DL :D

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
i deleted the original camera.apk and replace it with this one, is that all I should have to do to install? I click on in to install like a normal apk but it gives me a parsing error.

Edit: Just a bad DL :D
So it's working for you now? And yes, just delete the original camera and put this one in it's place. Change permissions (rw,r,r) and for good measure change the owner and group to root. Reboot.

Reactions: Frederick_1

kobridge

Jan 10, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Haven't checked. If it wasn't fixed in Calkulins then it's the same here. I didn't mess with any of that yet. Let me check and I'll update this post.

UPDATE: The image is flipped. It flips it to what someone looking at you would see - not what's on the screen which is more like a reflection in a mirror.

People expect to get the same picture as shown in the screen and feeling like who's this in the picture because the image reversed. Looks different person. :eek:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
People expect to get the same picture as shown in the screen and feeling like who's this in the picture because the image reversed. Looks different person. :eek:

People are so self absorbed these days:rolleyes: Maybe Samsung is trying to correct that??

Seriously, I don't see it as an 'issue' really. Most people won't know or care when you send the the picture. For others - rotate. I guess I could look into it though.

master acehole

Oct 24, 2011

As long as you have a unicorn in your driveway pooping Skittles. Seriously though (you know it will be asked) this doesn't not in any way work on Gingerbread. I actually made one for GB, jst search around in the General section for the E4GT.

10-4 buddy and what you say if I did have a unicorn pooping skittles but in my garage?..... ;) and will try this soon thanks

agat63

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
OP,
Sorry to drop into your thread like this but in OP you promised a flashable zip file and I thought I'll do it.
For those of you who don't wanna deal with adb, rootexplorer, renaming etc. here is the link:
http://jumbofiles.com/l281z31g34oi

This zip will flash new enhanced and silenced camera and at the same time will turn off camera system sounds like shutter, video on and of etc.

OP if it's OK with you just place the link in first post so users don't have to look for it.
If you think I'm outa line here just delete this post and keep link in first post if you want.:D

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
OP,
Sorry to drop into your thread like this but in OP you promised a flashable zip file and I thought I'll do it.
For those of you who don't wanna deal with adb, rootexplorer, renaming etc. here is the link:

This zip will flash new enhanced and silenced camera and at the same time will turn off camera system sounds like shutter, video on and of etc.

OP if it's OK with you just place the link in first post so users don't have to look for it.
If you think I'm outa line here just delete this post and keep link in first post if you want.:D
Agat63 thanks for the save on that zip. Been busy here at work today. I'll put up the link right now.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Good call. I'm hoping most people know that by now. Just don't do anything idiotic with it (you know what I mean...)

Anyway, uploaded another file and instructions for using terminal to install all of this. Almost forgot to include it. The camera doesn't work to it's full potential without it. Agat63, I'm working late - could you include it in the zip and I'll update the link in the OP in a bit. I posted where it needs to go inside the rom.

Reactions: jnhelman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4-3 v1.3.1 for FC24 is out!! Nothing has changed from 1.2.8. I just incorporated the fix for the low battery issue Calkulin added. Again, watch those file sizes - they get big very quickly.

I've been working on this for a while. Just a little rundown this is the camera from Calkulin's ICS rom so anything he's added to it is still there. I've tested it myself and it works - just make sure to read everything and install it correctly.

*There's an audio/video sync issue, this is across all roms and multiple phones that have this mod. So far there is no fix but it's being looked in to. Until then thanks to rafalense there is a solution to re-sync everthing after you record it.

Use Avidemux (Windows/Linux/BSD/Mac)
    Follow rafalense post on using it. HERE

What I've changed:

1080p new(stock)
    Superfine: 24Mbit (17)
    Fine: 18Mbit (15)
    Normal: 14Mbit (13)

720p
    Superfine: 18Mbit (12)
    Fine: 14Mbit (10)
    Normal: 10Mbit (8)

640x480 - because it's used for the front facing camera also
    Superfine: 3.159Mbit (3.078)
    Will implement in next version.

Audio bitrates for these is 128kbps (64 stock)
    Sampling rate 48kHz (unchanged from Calkulin's, stock is 16kHz)

While I did put in the time doing the conversions, decompiling, and other stuff - I did not make it silent and a few other things. Credits for that goes to:

• Calkulin - ICS goodness, making it silent, other mods I didn't do to this apk.
    • Agat63 - For helping me out and supporting me on this. Also for including this mod in his rom.
    • rafalense - For his post on editing the arrays.

To install just use Root Explorer. Any others using adb or terminal - I assume you know what you're doing already there with cp, chmod, and chown commands. Just in case though I put them up in the second post

Just a note: It may close on you a few times - this is normal from what I can tell. After a few tries and a minute or so it will work flawlessly. Also, feel free to bake this into your roms or whatever you desire. Just make sure to give me and others credit if you do.

U haz the bugz? Post them. I'm still new to this but I'll do my best to get them resolved. Have a solution? Post it. Don't leave others hanging.
    Here is modifed zip with .xml file included in /system/etc folder.

http://jumbofiles.com/dmpqgavgiihj

This will take care of permissions as well. (I hope).
    OP,

Terminal code and future plans

Flashable zip located in first post. If you like to do it the 'hard' way, want to learn, or you're just old school like that the permissions for both are rw,r,r change owner/group to root also.

In terminal:
    Code:
    $su
    #mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system
    #cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/etc
    or
    #cp /mnt/sdcard/file/location /system/app
    #chmod 644 /path/to/file

Then to change owner/group:

#cmown root:root /path/to/file
    #reboot

That should get you taken care of :D

Future plans
    More audio adjustments (hopefully 192 without it cutting out)
    Increase front cameras 640x480 bitrate
    Try to get the time between each picture down.
    Raise the FPS above 30 (might be hardware limited)
    Currently checking with the OP of THIS thread. Hopefully we can get some of these mods included also. < I got the ok from the dev so I'll be decompiling over the next few days and looking through it to see how/if any of it can be added to this one.

If you can help with any of these (or more) please jump in. I'd especially like some help from anyone knowledgeable in audio/video or photography to help on numbers for quality tweaks. some questions I have are:
    Since we only have one mic does setting audio recording to 2 channel really matter or is it better to set it to 1 and let the playback equipment (home theater or VLC for example) decode it to stereo?
    How high should the bitrates (video) go before it becomes unnoticeable in terms of quality?
    I've heard the stock audio gain is too high - if I can adjust it, how much should I drop it?

If you'd like to see how this is done and try it yourself I have a how-to on page 8, post 75. LINK There's also a 'cheat sheet' attached to the post.
    So if we are currently on Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.1 is this any different from the camera on there?

Not in looks, just in performance. The bitrates for audio and video are higher which leads to better quality (to a degree). What we got stock just wasn't a good as it should be.