Chainfire's RegionLock Away App SIM Unlocked my TMo Note 3

Search This thread

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
*** since people can't seem to be held accountable for screwing up their phones because they can't read... Here's the disclaimer: this is in the Note 3 section (TMO Note 3 section to be exact). It's your own damn fault if this bricks your phone. As with anything else, you assume responsibility for any and all negative results. ***

So here's the skinny. I SIM-unlocked my UNACTIVATED T-Mobile Note 3 via Chainfire's RegionLock Away app.

I bought the Note 3 SM-N900T direct from T-Mobile with the sole purpose of using on AT&T - without thinking about it being SIM-locked to T-Mobile. Of course I found this out when I put the AT&T SIM in out of the box - only to be reminded that it was locked and I needed the network unlock code from T-Mobile.

I also didn't want to activate a SIM on T-Mobile (spending at least $10 for a week-long plan) just to turn around and spend $25 on an unlock code. So after seeing Chainfire talk about fixing the Region Lock on the Note 3 I decided to give the following a test:

1. Put the T-Mobile SIM (unactivated, unregistered) that came in the box into the Note 3
2. Rooted via Chainfire's CF AutoRoot
3. Bought RegionLock Away app
4. Ran the app, and instead of rebooting - I said Reboot Later (I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
5. I then powered off the Note 3.
6. Took out the T-Mobile SIM and replaced it with my AT&T SIM
7. Turned on the device - BOOM! no Region Lock, and NO SIM Lock. I was able to setup my APN without any "wrong network" errors, and it's working like a charm.

I highly recommend you purchase Chainfire's app and give it a go. Follow the steps EXACTLY as I laid them out above. I can't guarantee anything, and YMMV - but this worked for me.

winning.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TEKHD

Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Scout
Would this work on note 2?

sgh-TWEAKED-889©

The app says when doing whatever is doing... "patching modem" so... In my opinion you should not even think about doing it... unless you have balls of steel... Lol

... you might end up tonight without a Note 3 (saw your other posts about your Note 3) and without a Note 2...

But I guess you also have a Note 1...

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Warrior1975

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
I'm just wondering how technically this is possible. Sure it clears the blacklist out but it's not supposed to do anything to the SIM lock. Maybe the SIM lock looks at the same portion of the modem that the region lock uses and that gets patched.

Last edited:

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
After doing this is it required to change the APN to get it to work (fully) with At&t?

TEKHD

After doing this is it required to change the APN to get it to work (fully) with At&t?

Yes... Here... LTE APN

Attachments

• 2013-10-04-00-26-40.jpg
    2013-10-04-00-26-40.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 11,800
  • 2013-10-04-00-26-51.jpg
    2013-10-04-00-26-51.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 11,079
Last edited:

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
And then I'm assuming to use t mobile again, I'd have to change it back?

Reactions: ricz114

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
No... It will apear again...

So when I put in At&t sim, I have to change it manually? And when I put T-Mobile sim, it auto changes back?

Reason why I ask is...
My cabin is in an area where closest T-Mobile reception is 52 miles away. I plan on buying a Prepaid At&t sim for use while at the cabin but changing back on the road home. It's much cheaper for me this way than just using At&t. I will be making this trip several times a year and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

TEKHD

You just add the AT&T apn one time... After that you can swap sims a million times and both apn's will always be there and they will change accordingly automatically...

You can get a dual sim card adapter for your phone... (I have a triple sim card adapter...)

Attachments

• 20131006_032845.jpg
    20131006_032845.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 3,093
Last edited:

ekerbuddyeker

You just add the AT&T apn one time... After that you can swap sims a million times and both apn's will always be there and they will change accordingly automatically...

You can get a dual sim card adapter for your phone... (I have a triple sim card adapter...)

Can you provide link that dual sim adapter

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Quite possibly true.... But you are rooted to do this which means you won't be getting OTAs :D

I think I've stated this in another related thread, but it is currently unknown when exactly the modem is updating automatically. I've custom region locked my own Note3 for testing, and flashing complete firmwares (with wipe, different CSCs, and the automatic after flash booting into recovery to apply CSC) did *not* affect my region lock, or set it back to what it was originally (in the applied CSC). So it's not like this *must* be updated or triggered when a new firmware comes in. On the other hand, any OTA update *could* be executing code to apply a new/different region lock or SIM lock. In other words, nobody knows if/when, but it could be any time.

TEKHD

Can you provide link that dual sim adapter

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Actually, in the picture, that's my triple sim card adapter... Search on ebay dual sim card adapter. I got that a while back on ebay...

mingkee

I think I've stated this in another related thread, but it is currently unknown when exactly the modem is updating automatically. I've custom region locked my own Note3 for testing, and flashing complete firmwares (with wipe, different CSCs, and the automatic after flash booting into recovery to apply CSC) did *not* affect my region lock, or set it back to what it was originally (in the applied CSC). So it's not like this *must* be updated or triggered when a new firmware comes in. On the other hand, any OTA update *could* be executing code to apply a new/different region lock or SIM lock. In other words, nobody knows if/when, but it could be any time.

SIM unlock involves NV file edit (do you remember EFS?) which is a part of modem I think.
I used NV edit suggested in xda to successfully unlock Galaxy Tab original.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** since people can't seem to be held accountable for screwing up their phones because they can't read... Here's the disclaimer: this is in the Note 3 section (TMO Note 3 section to be exact). It's your own damn fault if this bricks your phone. As with anything else, you assume responsibility for any and all negative results. ***

So here's the skinny. I SIM-unlocked my UNACTIVATED T-Mobile Note 3 via Chainfire's RegionLock Away app.

I bought the Note 3 SM-N900T direct from T-Mobile with the sole purpose of using on AT&T - without thinking about it being SIM-locked to T-Mobile. Of course I found this out when I put the AT&T SIM in out of the box - only to be reminded that it was locked and I needed the network unlock code from T-Mobile.

I also didn't want to activate a SIM on T-Mobile (spending at least $10 for a week-long plan) just to turn around and spend $25 on an unlock code. So after seeing Chainfire talk about fixing the Region Lock on the Note 3 I decided to give the following a test:

1. Put the T-Mobile SIM (unactivated, unregistered) that came in the box into the Note 3
    2. Rooted via Chainfire's CF AutoRoot
    3. Bought RegionLock Away app
    4. Ran the app, and instead of rebooting - I said Reboot Later (I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
    5. I then powered off the Note 3.
    6. Took out the T-Mobile SIM and replaced it with my AT&T SIM
    7. Turned on the device - BOOM! no Region Lock, and NO SIM Lock. I was able to setup my APN without any "wrong network" errors, and it's working like a charm.

I highly recommend you purchase Chainfire's app and give it a go. Follow the steps EXACTLY as I laid them out above. I can't guarantee anything, and YMMV - but this worked for me.

winning.gif
    Quite possibly true.... But you are rooted to do this which means you won't be getting OTAs :D

Confirmed... It really does work. I just did it... I now have a another T-Mobile Note 3 working perfectly with AT&T's network...

Yes... Here... LTE APN