Can USB host custom devices?

Search This thread

bobuhito

Feb 20, 2015
I am having problems using my phone as a USB host when connecting a Digispark:
My phone simply never detects the Digispark (anyone with a Digispark can test this
with the ArduinoDroid app, or with direct SDK programming). Digispark uses a
custom USB driver, not a catalog HID driver (for the record, USB HID keyboards do
work fine on my phone).

I'm told that the Digispark connects fine on other (non-EMUI non-Huawei) phones.

Can anyone confirm this, or better yet explain the problem? I suspect EMUI might
not open custom USB devices up for developer access...

Thanks for your help! I've been trying to debug this for weeks...and just giving up :(

wbrambley

I am having problems using my phone as a USB host when connecting a Digispark:
My phone simply never detects the Digispark (anyone with a Digispark can test this
with the ArduinoDroid app, or with direct SDK programming). Digispark uses a
custom USB driver, not a catalog HID driver (for the record, USB HID keyboards do
work fine on my phone).

I'm told that the Digispark connects fine on other (non-EMUI non-Huawei) phones.

Can anyone confirm this, or better yet explain the problem? I suspect EMUI might
not open custom USB devices up for developer access...

Thanks for your help! I've been trying to debug this for weeks...and just giving up :(

Can't say for your device but I've used a usb to rs485 adaptor without issue.
I'm guessing running lsusb picks up your device?

Sent from my HUAWEI ALP-L29 using XDA Labs

bobuhito

Feb 20, 2015
Did your adapter use an HID protocol?
And, how would I run lsusb? I mean I could try to do something like "adb shell lsusb"
from the computer while the phone is both a slave to the computer and a host...I
wonder if maybe you are mistakenly thinking I'm having a problem connecting my
phone to a computer, but that is fine (Digispark to computer also works fine, the
problem is Digispark to phone).

wbrambley

Did your adapter use an HID protocol?
And, how would I run lsusb? I mean I could try to do something like "adb shell lsusb"
from the computer while the phone is both a slave to the computer and a host...I
wonder if maybe you are mistakenly thinking I'm having a problem connecting my
phone to a computer, but that is fine (Digispark to computer also works fine, the
problem is Digispark to phone).

Wireless ADB? I was mistakenly thinking of running lsusb from terminal in phone but that gives permission denied. Must be to many years of rooted devices.

Do you get any kind of response from the phone when connected? Even a minimum of "reverse charging" mode?

Sent from my HUAWEI ALP-L29 using XDA Labs

bobuhito

Feb 20, 2015
I do get the Reverse Charging response, but that occurs from the USB Type C OTG adapter alone (because all adapters have 5k ohm resistor pulldown on CC pin), so it does not change anything when the Digispark gets connected through the adapter. I'm hoping someone else in these
forums might have a Digispark and Mate 30 to confirm my problem...