[ZIP][DEV][ROM] HC v4 eMMC 2nd ed. - Flashable ZIP {02/21/11}

Search This thread

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
Well,

(I guess I'm back..)

Here's a flashable ZIP of HC v4 to install on eMMC.

Note: 30.03.11
These packages (zip) can't make it complicated for you to go back to other roms, with working recoveries, etc.
Please flash the file found on this post before flashing another rom, if you wish to use, for example, CM7.

THIS WILL ERASE YOUR INTERNAL MEMORY (CWR as well)!

This is:
- Deeperblue's HC for NC (installed on eMMC), see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=936995
- With dalingrin's OC kernel (1100) instead of stock HC kernel, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451
- Gapps included (I ended up using jleecong's files) see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=937752
- Root (su) included (credit goes to chhaggerty and NuroSlam) see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941445)

All usual disclaimers apply. Please do not try this if not absolutely sure of what you are doing. Cicada's Froyo on eMMC is a far better option for people looking for stability. I must urge you to consider that deeperblue's HC for Nook Color is under constant upgrade. This means HC v5 could be available very soon.. Maybe you should wait until a more stable version of HC is available. Though deeperblue has done a great job at resolving issues.

NOTE: This version works well, but still has a few bugs..

MAJOR Credit goes to deeperblue for a his impressive work on HC. CM team for helping him. Dalingrin for his constant achievements regarding stable OC kernels..

To avoid having a black screen on boot, I've removed permissions on 'bin/newfs_msdos'. This prevents boot partition from getting corrupt. This means you won't be able to format an SD card from your NC once this is installed. Do it from you PC, or manually with ADB and parted/fdisk.

------EDIT-----
This last paragraph means that some apps won't install while SD is mounted. Either remove SD when having problems with app not installing, or restore permissions (chmod 777 system/bin/newfs_msdos) on newsfs_msdos. If you choose latter option, do not attempt to format SD from your NC from that moment and beyond!

------EDIT-----

I decided to leave dalingrin's kernel by default, as I found that perfomance was noticeably better. If people wish to have a flashable zip to restore to stock HC, please say so.

Instructions:

This file should be used with IOMonster bootable CWR SD image (could also work with internal CWR, but internal CWR will be removed during installation, and if internal CWR crashes during install your NC wont boot again. If that happens to you use the CWR SD and you'll be fine). Download the image, burn to SD and only then copy this flashable zip at the root of the SD.
Download CWR SD image here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870
Boot with SD inserted, go to 'mounts and storage', and:
- format system, then data and THEN format boot (CWR may crash, simply hard reboot, format should have worked).
- still in mounts and storage, check that system, data are not mounted (it should say 'mount data', not 'unmount data')
- go back with power button, go to 'install zip from sdcard'
- go to 'choose zip from sdcard'
- select 'HC-v4-emmc.zip'

Wait until the end of install. Be patient. It should say 'Install from sdcard complete'. Don't panic if the progress bar doesn't show progress. As long as it says 'Done, all finished'.

Turn off NC.
Remove SD card.

Boot and be happy..

HC/eMMC flashable ZIP file: http://www.multiupload.com/797T7K393P
md5sum c962b33ba234bad6581d573a11cef7ee

Thank you.

PS: it seems that I've left LauncherPro installed on this version. If you're not happy with it, just remove it. I for one have changed LPro settings to open app drawer instantly (see speed options). This does give a slick impression.

PS2: mirrors are welcome.

PS3: FYI, I've personnaly tried out converting data (p6) and cache (p7) to ext4, and making necessary tweaks for it to work along with Dalingrin's kernel. It does seem a bit more responsive. I'm willing to share my uRamdisk with ext4 support, but you need to know how to convert you eMMC partitions. This is risky business and I won't recommend it. This version here is ext3 only. Sorry.

EDIT-02-21/2011 ------

Second edition release of HC v4 on eMMC
flash with Ext4 Bootable SDCard (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959240).

H4 v2 second edition release, with a few tweaks and updates:
- System, data and cache fs will convert to EXT4, minor performance boost.
- Gingerbread Gapps added: Market, Maps, Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Talk.
- SD card format now works, thus no more issues with installing apps when card inserted (storage menu doesn't always refresh, change setting tab and back)
- Removed LauncherPro, can be installed from market
- More apps available in market, still many missing (i.e, angry birds)
- Ad-hoc fix added
- Rooted, working su (Thanks to j4mm3er). Superuser installed and working
- CWR Ext4 integrated with ugly workaround. Use RecoveryBootUtility app to boot to CWR on internal (Without the need for a bootable SDCARD). Booting to CWR with power+n will not work. You will have to boot to HC, then use Utility app to boot to CWR.
Do not use this internal CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.
- Added my USB Mass storage utility app (if you're having trouble with a mounted partition, make sure it's unmounted from NC before using utility, i.e unmount sdcard before mounting it to pc). Use this to open sdcard or media on your PC.
- Calendar fix added.
- Maps 5.0, do not upgrade to 5.1. It won't work on HC.
- Gallery 3d added -> working gallery.
- Various tweaks..

Issues:
- Many apps don't work.
- Talk may disconnect sometimes, you'll have to make sure you time settings are correct (don't use automatic setting). You can also try changing time, Force close Talk and launch it again. Sorry for this..
- Location won't work. This is a preview, supposed to be working on a Virtual emulator. Only Mock locations work. If you're adventurous, try enabling mock locations in settings, installing 'Android developer shell' on NC, enabling telnet server in app, and using:
- geo gpsSpoofer start
- geo gpsSpoofer fix [latitude] [longitude]
(geo -help if you have trouble with commands.)
You'll have a working spoofed location. Reboot will erase it..
- Other issues, I'll update if required. I've struggled to get other apps working. But without HC's source, it's pretty much impossible..

NOTE: oddly enough, I've launched maps 5.0 this morning and, though it's asking me to enable location provider, it found my location just a few seconds after opening the app... I don't know it it's Latitude related. I'll investigate..

Instructions:
These differ from above instructions, but you can refer to them if you have a doubt.
- Boot to Ext4 Bootable CWR SD with zip file on it.
- In mounts and storage, format /system, /data and /cache -> MANDATORY!
- In the same menu, make sure /system aren't /data aren't mounted
- make sure sdcard is mounted
- choose zip from sdcard
- flash file WAIT, be patient! Progress will not display, but it will work.
- Remove sdcard, boot to HC.

HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/47M6MIFS9A
117.33 MB
ac42f8ca2d04e15b8981593e60b0abc1 HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition.zip

Mirror, thanks to MikeSpears:

http://mikeservers.net/nookdev/honeycomb/HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition.zip

The internal CWR workaround is ugly to say the least. So if you NC should refuse to boot or bootloops, which I hope won't, flash this boot repair that I'm adding just in case. Just flash it, no need for formatting.. Use a bootable CWR SD Card.

HCext4-boot-repair flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/LN64D4RXEY
6.8 MB
cf963da4043d91d7f4bf8f784cd02d95 HCext4-boot-repair.zip

Mirrors are welcome.

Do not use this internal 3.0.0.6 CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR 3.0.0.5 sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.

EDIT - 02/18/2011 ---

Google Calendar app fix:

Added Calendar.apk, CalendarProvider.apk, GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk and new framework.jar(.zip) to attached files.

- All .apk files must be pushed to /system/app, with 6775 permissions.
- framwork.jar [rename by removing '.zip', this ISN'T a zip file] must be pushed to system/framework, replacing current file.

Note: Simple fix, Added "SyncStateContentProviderHelper.java (smali)" to 'com/android/internal/content', in framework.jar.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to make a flashable zip of this just yet. Maybe a good Samaritan will..

This hasn't been tested on other NC's than mine. Please try and post your feedback.

Feel free to use this in other HC/Gapps threads, so that everyone can benefit from this.

-----------------

These packages (zip) can't make it complicated for you to go back to other roms, with working recoveries, etc.
Please flash the file found on this post before flashing another rom, if you wish to use, for example, CM7.

Sam

Attachments

• CalendarProvider.apk
    335.4 KB · Views: 841
  • Calendar.apk
    266.7 KB · Views: 766
  • framework.jar.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 817
  • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    109 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:

ChrisJ951

Jan 25, 2011
Just tested it (from a fresh 1.0.1 install of eclair and using the market CWR), works flawlessly. (Just be patient with the CWR, it takes awhile and theres nothing indicating wether it froze or not so wait at least 10minutes before thinking it failed). SD card mounted flawlessly and Pandora/Youtube work fine. You're also given an option to use LauncherPro or the HC launcher at boot.

Thanks Sam

P.S. for those who prefer the default launcher like myself I suggest you open up spare parts and set Window Animations and Transition Animations to instant.

Last edited:

bartimeus

Apr 11, 2008
Springfield
This will not override our CWR and in case there is a problem we shouldn't have a problem getting back into it to recover our backups, correct?

Any idea if Rom Manager will work okay with this?

Reactions: BodingisanAndroid

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
This will erase internal CWR.

You would be better off with some sort of backup SDcard with Monster's image. Tha way you keep a working CWR with your backups all in the same place..

Backups are stored on the sdcard. This only erases internal boot, system and data.

I wouldn't count on CWR/Rom manager with HC just yet..

Sorry.

Just buy a rescue SD. That's my advice to you..

Sam

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

bartimeus

Apr 11, 2008
Springfield
This will erase internal CWR.

You would be better off with some sort of backup SDcard with Monster's image. Tha way you keep a working CWR with your backups all in the same place..

Backups are stored on the sdcard. This only erases internal boot, system and data.

I wouldn't count on CWR/Rom manager with HC just yet..

Sorry.

Just buy a rescue SD. That's my advice to you..

Sam

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks. I can't wait to try this later.

Sonicjet

Jan 1, 2011
Having a minor issue here,When I download an app in the market, it's is starting download, and thats all.

ChrisJ951

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not sure if this issue is a problem with Deeper-blue's image or installing it to the eMMC but for some reason the market alongside adb install give errors saying "INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICENT_STORAGE" Despite having 786MB available. If anyone has any ideas please post

superman_legendary

Jul 15, 2010
Birmingham
I was just about to flash nookie froyo zip, but my real dream seems to have come true. Nook Color with flashable honeycomb already. Speechless. All I can say THANK YOU. So happy I got this device.

justreboot

Nov 12, 2009
Central NJ
Wow - This is really sick / installed beautifully / Market looks like it doesn't download (yet) / gotta install some basics / like astro to get some apps back / guess i'll try adb...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well,

(I guess I'm back..)

Here's a flashable ZIP of HC v4 to install on eMMC.

THIS WILL ERASE YOUR INTERNAL MEMORY (CWR as well)!

This is:
    - Deeperblue's HC for NC (installed on eMMC), see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=936995
    - With dalingrin's OC kernel (1100) instead of stock HC kernel, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451
    - Gapps included (I ended up using jleecong's files) see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=937752
    - Root (su) included (credit goes to chhaggerty and NuroSlam) see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=941445)

All usual disclaimers apply. Please do not try this if not absolutely sure of what you are doing. Cicada's Froyo on eMMC is a far better option for people looking for stability. I must urge you to consider that deeperblue's HC for Nook Color is under constant upgrade. This means HC v5 could be available very soon.. Maybe you should wait until a more stable version of HC is available. Though deeperblue has done a great job at resolving issues.

NOTE: This version works well, but still has a few bugs..

MAJOR Credit goes to deeperblue for a his impressive work on HC. CM team for helping him. Dalingrin for his constant achievements regarding stable OC kernels..

To avoid having a black screen on boot, I've removed permissions on 'bin/newfs_msdos'. This prevents boot partition from getting corrupt. This means you won't be able to format an SD card from your NC once this is installed. Do it from you PC, or manually with ADB and parted/fdisk.

------EDIT-----
    This last paragraph means that some apps won't install while SD is mounted. Either remove SD when having problems with app not installing, or restore permissions (chmod 777 system/bin/newfs_msdos) on newsfs_msdos. If you choose latter option, do not attempt to format SD from your NC from that moment and beyond!

------EDIT-----

I decided to leave dalingrin's kernel by default, as I found that perfomance was noticeably better. If people wish to have a flashable zip to restore to stock HC, please say so.

Instructions:

This file should be used with IOMonster bootable CWR SD image (could also work with internal CWR, but internal CWR will be removed during installation, and if internal CWR crashes during install your NC wont boot again. If that happens to you use the CWR SD and you'll be fine). Download the image, burn to SD and only then copy this flashable zip at the root of the SD.
    Download CWR SD image here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870
    Boot with SD inserted, go to 'mounts and storage', and:
    - format system, then data and THEN format boot (CWR may crash, simply hard reboot, format should have worked).
    - still in mounts and storage, check that system, data are not mounted (it should say 'mount data', not 'unmount data')
    - go back with power button, go to 'install zip from sdcard'
    - go to 'choose zip from sdcard'
    - select 'HC-v4-emmc.zip'

Wait until the end of install. Be patient. It should say 'Install from sdcard complete'. Don't panic if the progress bar doesn't show progress. As long as it says 'Done, all finished'.

Turn off NC.
    Remove SD card.

Boot and be happy..

HC/eMMC flashable ZIP file: http://www.multiupload.com/797T7K393P
    md5sum c962b33ba234bad6581d573a11cef7ee

Thank you.

PS: it seems that I've left LauncherPro installed on this version. If you're not happy with it, just remove it. I for one have changed LPro settings to open app drawer instantly (see speed options). This does give a slick impression.

PS2: mirrors are welcome.

PS3: FYI, I've personnaly tried out converting data (p6) and cache (p7) to ext4, and making necessary tweaks for it to work along with Dalingrin's kernel. It does seem a bit more responsive. I'm willing to share my uRamdisk with ext4 support, but you need to know how to convert you eMMC partitions. This is risky business and I won't recommend it. This version here is ext3 only. Sorry.

EDIT-02-21/2011 ------

Second edition release of HC v4 on eMMC
    flash with Ext4 Bootable SDCard (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959240).

H4 v2 second edition release, with a few tweaks and updates:
    - System, data and cache fs will convert to EXT4, minor performance boost.
    - Gingerbread Gapps added: Market, Maps, Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Talk.
    - SD card format now works, thus no more issues with installing apps when card inserted (storage menu doesn't always refresh, change setting tab and back)
    - Removed LauncherPro, can be installed from market
    - More apps available in market, still many missing (i.e, angry birds)
    - Ad-hoc fix added
    - Rooted, working su (Thanks to j4mm3er). Superuser installed and working
    - CWR Ext4 integrated with ugly workaround. Use RecoveryBootUtility app to boot to CWR on internal (Without the need for a bootable SDCARD). Booting to CWR with power+n will not work. You will have to boot to HC, then use Utility app to boot to CWR.
    Do not use this internal CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.
    - Added my USB Mass storage utility app (if you're having trouble with a mounted partition, make sure it's unmounted from NC before using utility, i.e unmount sdcard before mounting it to pc). Use this to open sdcard or media on your PC.
    - Calendar fix added.
    - Maps 5.0, do not upgrade to 5.1. It won't work on HC.
    - Gallery 3d added -> working gallery.
    - Various tweaks..

Issues:
    - Many apps don't work.
    - Talk may disconnect sometimes, you'll have to make sure you time settings are correct (don't use automatic setting). You can also try changing time, Force close Talk and launch it again. Sorry for this..
    - Location won't work. This is a preview, supposed to be working on a Virtual emulator. Only Mock locations work. If you're adventurous, try enabling mock locations in settings, installing 'Android developer shell' on NC, enabling telnet server in app, and using:
    - geo gpsSpoofer start
    - geo gpsSpoofer fix [latitude] [longitude]
    (geo -help if you have trouble with commands.)
    You'll have a working spoofed location. Reboot will erase it..
    - Other issues, I'll update if required. I've struggled to get other apps working. But without HC's source, it's pretty much impossible..

NOTE: oddly enough, I've launched maps 5.0 this morning and, though it's asking me to enable location provider, it found my location just a few seconds after opening the app... I don't know it it's Latitude related. I'll investigate..

Instructions:
    These differ from above instructions, but you can refer to them if you have a doubt.
    - Boot to Ext4 Bootable CWR SD with zip file on it.
    - In mounts and storage, format /system, /data and /cache -> MANDATORY!
    - In the same menu, make sure /system aren't /data aren't mounted
    - make sure sdcard is mounted
    - choose zip from sdcard
    - flash file WAIT, be patient! Progress will not display, but it will work.
    - Remove sdcard, boot to HC.

HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/47M6MIFS9A
    117.33 MB
    ac42f8ca2d04e15b8981593e60b0abc1 HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition.zip

Mirror, thanks to MikeSpears:

http://mikeservers.net/nookdev/honeycomb/HC-v4-emmc-2nd-edition.zip

The internal CWR workaround is ugly to say the least. So if you NC should refuse to boot or bootloops, which I hope won't, flash this boot repair that I'm adding just in case. Just flash it, no need for formatting.. Use a bootable CWR SD Card.

HCext4-boot-repair flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/LN64D4RXEY
    6.8 MB
    cf963da4043d91d7f4bf8f784cd02d95 HCext4-boot-repair.zip

Mirrors are welcome.

Do not use this internal 3.0.0.6 CWR to flash Froyo or Eclair, use previous Ext3 Bootable CWR 3.0.0.5 sdcard and format system, data and cache before doing so. The Ext4 integrated CWR will only work for this HC version (not previous) and for CM7.

EDIT - 02/18/2011 ---

Google Calendar app fix:

Added Calendar.apk, CalendarProvider.apk, GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk and new framework.jar(.zip) to attached files.

- All .apk files must be pushed to /system/app, with 6775 permissions.
    - framwork.jar [rename by removing '.zip', this ISN'T a zip file] must be pushed to system/framework, replacing current file.

Note: Simple fix, Added "SyncStateContentProviderHelper.java (smali)" to 'com/android/internal/content', in framework.jar.

I'm sorry, I don't have time to make a flashable zip of this just yet. Maybe a good Samaritan will..

This hasn't been tested on other NC's than mine. Please try and post your feedback.

Feel free to use this in other HC/Gapps threads, so that everyone can benefit from this.

-----------------

Sam
    Delete Google voice (if you dont use it like me) Use astro file manager to surf your photos, the lack of the camera app crashes the gallery. Or wallpaper set and save

I was able to get pass the gallery fc by deleting /system/app/gallery.apk and replacing it with this one.
    Can someone make a youtube video of this running? I'd really like to see it before I try it.

I made this quick ~10 minute walk through last night for you. Just goes through some of the basic stuff. Features, UI stuff, etc. Sorry it took a while to get it up, the internet here in my dorm is painfully slow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEC0fcfbpM
    Calendar & Calendar Syncing Fix

2 way Calendar syncing on this HC version (and others) have been posted in numerous spots throughout XDA and this forum.

But I'll be nice and provide a quick breakdown:
    (This is assuming you are rooted AND are able to connect via ADB. If neither are true, do a search on XDA or PM me.)

1. Copy the files within HoneyGCalInstall.zip to the directory C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    2. Open the DOS prompt/Terminal window, and type "CD C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" [enter]
    3. Then type "HoneyGCalInstall"
    4. It does its thing and you'll get calendar back and syncing correctly!

Related Posts:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11982209&postcount=702
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=937752
    For those that have root problems I recommend not to download Superuser, Su, or Rom Manager. When we install the image we're already rooted. I noticed that after installing any of these after flashing the image will make you lose your root. Download Root Checker and you will see what I mean. Also I was able to change the density on the Build.prop to 150. Has anybody tried with a higher density I was able to set it to either 200 or 250 on NookColor 1.1 but I've heard HC would not give you over 150. Also I follow Samuelhaff's advice and change the permissions on newsf_msdos on the /system/bin and now almost all applications install with few fails. I did it a risky way though, since I don't have ADB access I just rightclicked the file with Root Explorer, chose permissions and click in all 9 boxes, worked for me but it may be risky.