How to root Gateway TP A60 (Futureshop A500 Version)

Search This thread

networkdawg

Feb 19, 2010
This works? I upgraded mine to 3.2 before rooting it, silly me.. and have been looking for a way to do it.

chaton78

Feb 8, 2012
Well, it worked on mine after I accepted the latest update (last week of January).

You may have to install Gateway USB driver first. I don't know if it changed something but I did it before trying to update my tablet.

jwilliamg

Sep 25, 2012
Turn your Gateway A60 into an Acer Iconia 500 and get ICS

For those of you who have a Gateway TPA60W (Acer Iconia A500 clone) and are desperate to get Ice Cream Sandwich, the way I was able to do it was to follow timmydean's method here to root the Acer A500.

Once you do that, your Gateway A60W will effectively become an Acer A500 and the only evidence left that it was ever a gateway tablet is the logo on the back cover. (Everything, firmware, device name, model number, splash screen when you boot, color scheme, etc will all list Acer as the manufacturer.)

After that step is accomplished, go to Google Play, download and install the Acer Upgrade tool that is necessary to get the ICS update. Once that is installed, go back to settings and check for a system update. You should then be able to download and install the official Acer ICS upgrade without issue.

Works like a charm.

But, as always, back up first!

fattest

Jul 28, 2012
Thanks! I just used timmyDean's method with the instructions in the OP to flash an A60. ICS update running now.

rhodan486

Mar 13, 2012
Dalmas
TPA60

I use the timmyDean's method to upgrade my TPA60 but it does not work it still jam after entering my serial. I tried 4 time and it still do the same .
Can someone tell me what happend ?

clee290

Aug 4, 2009
Montreal
Hey, I'm planning to root my dad's Gateway A60 and update it to ICS. Once I flash the device and get the 'P A S S' message on the tablet, what should I do next? Install BusyBox and SU tools, then Backdoor tool, then turn OTA off? Do I have to even do all that other stuff just to update it to ICS?

Porkchops

Oct 7, 2011
Saskatchewan
Hey guys, I just bought one of these for my father in law, and was trying to get it updated/rooted/de-bloated, and it's firmware 3.0.1 at the moment. It's a TP-A60W (not sure if the W changes anything), but I keep seeing that everything is for firmware 3.2 and while the tablet tells me there is an update available, it will not install it - just fails everytime. So I'm wondering if I am safe to use this method on 3.0.1, or if there is some way I can work around to update it to 3.2 first, or if there is a different method safe to use on 3.0.1??

Thanks in advance!

SSTaLoN

Oct 26, 2011
For those of you who have a Gateway TPA60W (Acer Iconia A500 clone) and are desperate to get Ice Cream Sandwich, the way I was able to do it was to follow timmydean's method here to root the Acer A500.

Once you do that, your Gateway A60W will effectively become an Acer A500 and the only evidence left that it was ever a gateway tablet is the logo on the back cover. (Everything, firmware, device name, model number, splash screen when you boot, color scheme, etc will all list Acer as the manufacturer.)

After that step is accomplished, go to Google Play, download and install the Acer Upgrade tool that is necessary to get the ICS update. Once that is installed, go back to settings and check for a system update. You should then be able to download and install the official Acer ICS upgrade without issue.

Works like a charm.

But, as always, back up first!

Do you have a copy of the rom? the links in Tim's method are dead links now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I just want to share with the community. If you want to root a Gateway TP A60, follow the timmyDean's method from XDA but before starting, update Version.cfg file:
    Line:
    [PRODUCT]
    1 = A500

to
    [PRODUCT]
    1 = TPA60W

Enjoy!

Chaton