[DEV][WIP] CyanogenMod 7 for the LG Revolution (working 2d/3d acceleration!)

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
No, it's not out yet-- but I do have it booting, and with working touchscreen support :)

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnRlyMZzdT0
New video:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4pZXyayts

That's about it right now.

Things left:
  • Mobile Voice
  • 3G Data
  • 4G Data / Voice
  • Audio
  • Front Camera
  • Back Camera
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • DSP support for video encode/decode
  • Vibrate/Notification LED

As I get things working, I'll update this list.
My first priority is wifi, then mobile voice, then 3g data, then vibrate/notification LED.
After that, I'll get GPS working (not hard) then rear camera.

Things that'll probably not happen in CM7 for a while:
  • Front camera
  • 4G Voice
  • 4G Data

Anything to do with 4G will be VERY tough, since I don't have LG's kernel sources, and I'm no RIL reverse engineer... Any help in this matter is appreciated!

Last edited:
L

LeadPharmer

Anytime you need a tester Cubed, just let me know. My city is scheduled to get 4G this Thursday so I should be able to test that for you too, soon.

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
No, it's not out yet-- but I do have it booting, and with working touchscreen support :)

Things left:
  • Mobile Voice
  • 3G Data
  • 4G Data / Voice
  • Audio
  • Front Camera
  • Back Camera
  • GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi

My first priority is wifi, then mobile voice, then 3g data, then vibrate/notification LED.

• Front camera
  • 4G Voice
  • 4G Data

Anything to do with 4G will be VERY tough, since I don't have LG's kernel sources, and I'm no RIL reverse engineer... Any help in this matter is appreciated!

So, does the release of the kernel change your thoughts on 4G? What about the issues with 3G data lag? Not pressing, just curious. I know with the release of the kernel you aren't going to have a lot of time on your hands to get sidetracked :D

Reactions: Blammo79

nick99wj

Aug 13, 2010
Rochester, NY
So, does the release of the kernel change your thoughts on 4G? What about the issues with 3G data lag? Not pressing, just curious. I know with the release of the kernel you aren't going to have a lot of time on your hands to get sidetracked :D

We were on IRC before when I posted that link. He said 4G data/voice shouldn't be a problem now.

The kernel gives the information on how to communicate with the radio

Pretty much, from what I understand, all of those "not for a while" items. Are now going to be in the first build of CM7 for the REVOLUTIOnnnnn-tionn-tion-tion

lazarus2297

Sep 2, 2010
North Carolina
We were on IRC before when I posted that link. He said 4G data/voice shouldn't be a problem now.

Pretty much, from what I understand, all of those "not for a while" items. Are now going to be in the first build of CM7 for the REVOLUTIOnnnnn-tionn-tion-tion

so did I miss LG releasing the kernal source.. or did we get it another way..?

**edit**

so just a few more clicks and I wouldn't have asked that question.. I am game try whatever you have available!

Last edited:
Hey Thecubed, is there a particular reason you went with ADW Launcher as the... er... Launcher? What would keep you from using HeLauncher as the default? Any chance of getting a Samsung style launcher and icons?

And I think its almost been a week, and the phone is still running smooth. I did the stat bar cleaner, thanks MT. And the battery life is stellar.\

Thanks again. I am working overtime so I can get you a sizeable dony.

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado

Very good to hear :D

Fixing 3G lag will be sooo nice.

RegnierD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Hey Thecubed, is there a particular reason you went with ADW Launcher as the... er... Launcher? What would keep you from using HeLauncher as the default? Any chance of getting a Samsung style launcher and icons?

And I think its almost been a week, and the phone is still running smooth. I did the stat bar cleaner, thanks MT. And the battery life is stellar.\

Thanks again. I am working overtime so I can get you a sizeable dony.
The kingpins of CM7 decided to use ADW.Launcher since its dev open-sourced the launcher. It makes customizations very easy to make. You can always pull it out with TB once you've got your launcher of choice up and running.

Cubed - I was so excited when I saw this thread pop up the other day. I have my Revolution coming in the mail hopefully sometime this afternoon, and I will definitely be on the IRC once it gets in. I won it in a contest, so I won't feel bad if I end up bricking it, especially because I have an upgrade in September. :D

And as soon as my finances allow, I will most certainly be submitting a donation. Thank you for your support!

I will say though, I just switched to this Fascinate I'm using currently a month ago, and our CM7 code finally got merged upstream, so I'm definitely gonna miss fully-functional GB, but I'm sure you'll have it running smoothly in no time!

Reactions: GodsendNYCc

RegnierD

Totally double-posting here, but I have my phone activated and running. 4G is friggin' SWEET!

Anywho, if you need any logcats or anything at all that's within my practical ability (I'm willing to flash just about anything since I didn't pay a dime for this phone, and can do any number of logcats/dmesg you need), just let me know. I'll pop onto the IRC from time to time just to check, but if you ever need someone in a hot moment, direct message me and I'll be glad help!

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
The kingpins of CM7 decided to use ADW.Launcher since its dev open-sourced the launcher. It makes customizations very easy to make. You can always pull it out with TB once you've got your launcher of choice up and running.

Cubed - I was so excited when I saw this thread pop up the other day. I have my Revolution coming in the mail hopefully sometime this afternoon, and I will definitely be on the IRC once it gets in. I won it in a contest, so I won't feel bad if I end up bricking it, especially because I have an upgrade in September. :D

And as soon as my finances allow, I will most certainly be submitting a donation. Thank you for your support!

I will say though, I just switched to this Fascinate I'm using currently a month ago, and our CM7 code finally got merged upstream, so I'm definitely gonna miss fully-functional GB, but I'm sure you'll have it running smoothly in no time!

I suspect another reason ADW was incorporated is because it's one of the only open source launchers. That comes without the possible legal ramifications of packaging someone elses work in your creation.

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Right now I'm reworking all the init scripts that LG has written and consolidating them into the cyanogenmod style of a single "init.bryce.rc" initscript.

As I'm doing that, I'm looking for referenced binaries and crossreferencing that list with the list of binaries that cyanogenmod builds (to see what binaries are LG-specific and what are stock Android). After I find the binaries, I am hexdumping each one to find out which libraries they import, and adding those to the cyanogenmod build directory also.

LG really really really needs to write better scripts. Their init process is all over the map, and half of the stuff in the init script isn't even for our device! It references dev platforms and other stuff that really should be trimmed before releasing to the public.

Anyway, in regards to testers, I actually have a device now (my very own device! but no service haha) so I'm able to do testing on my own for intermediate builds. When I release a milestone build (I'd consider wifi and 3d accelerator a milestone build) I'll release it via PM.

I don't want to make the test builds public because I worry that it'd cause problems with people not reading the "WARNING! THIS DOESNT WORK RIGHT!" and coming back saying they bricked their phones.

However, as soon as I have something to show, I'll make a video :)

RegnierD

Woohoo! That's exciting. I miss stable CM7 so much. It was flawlesson my trusty Incredible, just getting to stable on the Fascinate, and now being started from scratch here.

If you ever need any help, Cubed, I'm game. I would have no qualms with it. I'm available at nearly any moment and always have a computer nearby for logcats and d/kmesg dumps. Plus, I have full services 3/4G and wifi all around me at almost all times.

I'd love to be able to help the community out, even if it's only by flashing and giving error logs.

I noticed when peeking around in the system that things were a little messy too. The build.prop is kinda iffy and their lack of an organized boot animation is annoying. It's like being neat wasn't a concern at all. Seems like they were in a hurry.

thecubed

Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Woohoo! That's exciting. I miss stable CM7 so much. It was flawlesson my trusty Incredible, just getting to stable on the Fascinate, and now being started from scratch here.

If you ever need any help, Cubed, I'm game. I would have no qualms with it. I'm available at nearly any moment and always have a computer nearby for logcats and d/kmesg dumps. Plus, I have full services 3/4G and wifi all around me at almost all times.

I'd love to be able to help the community out, even if it's only by flashing and giving error logs.

I noticed when peeking around in the system that things were a little messy too. The build.prop is kinda iffy and their lack of an organized boot animation is annoying. It's like being neat wasn't a concern at all. Seems like they were in a hurry.

I will need people to test the 3G/4G service once I get the radios initialized, since I only have the phone and no service :)

Right now I'm still sorting through the binaries and libraries trying to get at a bare minimum wifi and 3d acceleration working.

Reactions: droogalo612

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's just see how much contradiction is in this post.
    Is it wrong to expect progress? Buy me a computer and I'll be working in it.... No? That's what i thought.

So somebody has to buy you a computer for you to work on it? I don't see you buying anybody else one to work on it for you.

Unless you have anything productive to say then stfu... I simply have an opinion on this PoS phone we have. if i wanted your input i would have asked for it.

So he can't share his opinion but you can yours? That makes a lot of sense.

And if you haven't read, the major hold up on this project was waiting on official gingerbread release...I'm sorry for asking in case i over read any progress someone might have posted since then.

No there is no problem with asking about progress. The problem is you didn't ask what the progress was you made a smart alec comment about it.

The moral of the story is this.Quit being a spoiled brat and quit crying like my 2 year old. You know his crying gets him? The same thing it's going to get you. Nothing. Now quit suckling your mommys nipple and move on with your life from here. Goodbye.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnRlyMZzdT0
    New video:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4pZXyayts

Things left:
    • Mobile Voice
    • 3G Data
    • 4G Data / Voice
    • Audio
    • Front Camera
    • Back Camera
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi

• Front camera
    • 4G Voice
    • 4G Data

Thecubed has not given up on us (it appears)!!!

I can't believe this thread hasn't been closed. That said, I'm off to Best Buy and stuff.

Alien spawned, Ginger infested doo hickey.

So, i suddenly became intersted in finding a way to compile the ROM from source. I've learned a lot in just today (actually yesterday as it's now 1:13am)... So, when, not if, i can get that figured out, it looks like I might have a shot at building a CM7 ROM... :)

Why not CM9? Unless I'm confused, CM9 is based off of ICS. Yes, hopefully i can get there... Baby steps.. LoL

BUT, THE REAL REASON for this post and why i chose the above to quote on is based on something i just literally stumbled on. It also might mean someone else will beat me to the punch..

TheCubed has NOT given up on us!!! At least that's what i gather from this link, showing he just updated/created a repo for development:

https://github.com/thecubed

It was just updated Jan 3,2012.

From what I've learned about creating roms from scratch, or source code, what he just did a few days ago appears to be a key ingredient to achieving CM7 on the Revo...

I'll do my best to get it figured out. In the meantime, it looks possible that TheCubed may just get there first. :) if so, he better show me how,LoL...

-Cybie
    Mabey this is the code you seek Thecubed.
    kogshole.no-ip.org/revolution_libsensor.zip
    I think I got it all correct.

Edit: check file permissions as I did the work on a windoze box. And I'm not sure(I'm sure) if that will interfere with the use.

Edit: I did this with the nusensors.cpp format. Did it need to be in the sensors.cpp format? I can post if required.

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA Premium App
    I haz some new updates for u all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4pZXyayts

Gettin' closer!
    Just got wireless working right after that video was taken.

This phone FLIES in cyanogenmod... everything is just instant!

EDIT: and as quickly as I managed to get 3d acceleration working, now it won't load again. Weird. Well, it's 3:00AM, I should get some sleep. Rest assured, a non-halfassed build of CM7 with at least 2d/3d and wifi is coming soon for public consumption! (soon as in hopefully by wednesday night!)