[Workaround] External SD in ICS-based ROMs

Search This thread

Tintenfisch

Nov 15, 2008
Göttingen
Hello everone!

First of all: I know I do not post a new ROM here, and also I know that this isn't the usual way to clear things, I hope the mods can forgive me, I will explain why I start this thread.

First of all, the problem: As a lot of you noticed, when you try an ICS-based ROM like CM9 or any of those MIUI v4-clones, your external SD-card is gone. Normally you find all your data at /sdcard/external_sd/, and now you go to that folder with a file explorer to see that it's empty.

A lot of those guys now post in the threads of these ROMs complaining about lost data and stuff, sometimes getting an answer, sometimes not. The workaround is the same on all these ROMs, but most of the ROM devs do not add this fix to their start-postings.
As no one reads a full 300+-pages thread, the solution for this problem gets lost ("Didn't you read the solution on page 153?" :)). This is why I start a new thread to link on, with a full tutorial, even pictures are added, yaaay.

Again: This is no new solution, I didn't code anything new.

-----

So this is how you do it:

First of all go to this thread and download the apk for Directory Bind. Install it.
This app was built to move data to your external SD to get more space on your internal memory, we use this app in a different way.

When you use a file explorer with root permissions, you will see that your external SD can be found at /mnt/emmc/. This folder is unhandy to use, as most applications aren't built to access any directories outside /sdcard/ (would need root permissions). [I once saw a ROM where the external SD was mounted to /mnt/ext_sdcard/, if that's the case in your ROM, just do it the same way :)]

So you start Directory Bind, tap on the menu button and add a new entry. Use these settings:

directory_bind_1.png

As you see, all data that's in /emmc/ (do NOT forget the slash at the end!) should get mounted to /sdcard/external_sd/ (again: don't forget the slash). Do NOT tick the "Transfer files from target to data"-Button, as this would cause the whole external SD to be copied onto your internal memory!

After tapping "Add", you should see a new entry in your list of bindings. Tap on the disc-icon in front of that entry, so it becomes green:

directory_bind_2.jpg

If the icon becomes red, check if you have any spelling mistakes in the paths you used or if /emmc/ is the correct path for your SD-card [see /ext_sdcard/-issue above].

If all went well, tap the menu-button again and open the preferences. First of all enable the box at the top, saying "Bind on boot". I hope I don't have to explain why ;)
Second, scroll down to the bottom and enable the "Alternate dbase mgmt"-Box. This isn't 100% neccessary, it can work without this option. I tested two devices and both had to have this option enabled to keep the settings after a reboot. To be sure, just enable it.

You can now close Directory Bind and check your /sdcard/external_sd/-folder again to see everything is there! Reboot to check if you were successful in the whole "bind on boot"-thing.

That's it, gl&hf with it :cool:

panhavuth

Nov 29, 2007
Phnom penh
That is a complete different problem and is of course not solved by that workaround.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

My external sd is dead.can it survive by that method? I can't format it via window. I flash back and forth cm 9 and other ics custom ROM a few day later it dead and can't recognise by PC anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tintenfisch

Nov 15, 2008
Göttingen
My external sd is dead.can it survive by that method? I can't format it via window. I flash back and forth cm 9 and other ics custom ROM a few day later it dead and can't recognise by PC anymore.

When your sd-card is "broken", I don't think that this method will help. This DirectoryBind-thing is just a trick to point the /emmc/-folder to a more handy one, so it requires a working card in the emmc-folder.
If even your pc can't get the data, there is probably something wrong in the FAT of that card. I would try to format the card via your msdos-commandline or something, trying different filesystems and stuff.

panhavuth

Nov 29, 2007
Phnom penh
When your sd-card is "broken", I don't think that this method will help. This DirectoryBind-thing is just a trick to point the /emmc/-folder to a more handy one, so it requires a working card in the emmc-folder.
If even your pc can't get the data, there is probably something wrong in the FAT of that card. I would try to format the card via your msdos-commandline or something, trying different filesystems and stuff.

I'm completely Noob to Ms DOS command line.could you please show me some way.or is there a software to survive it? Your help would be much appreciate.

Tintenfisch

Nov 15, 2008
Göttingen

blue163

Aug 25, 2010
I tried this method and after binding it my phone re-installed all my apps, and when opening random apps it would pop up saying it was binding my directory. Astro and other file managers did not show the external_sd directory I linked emmc to so I finally just gave up and uninstalled it.

gil80

Nov 14, 2010
Sydney
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
HELP

Hi.
Thanks a lot for the workaround.

I've done as you said and it worked - BUT - before the change I had a music folder filled with music in external_sd. After the bind, I don't see that folder anymore. It's not in external_sd.
I do see emmc in external_sd but not the original folders that were created in external_sd before bind.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
Hello everone!

If all went well, tap the menu-button again and open the preferences. First of all enable the box at the top, saying "Bind on boot". I hope I don't have to explain why ;)
Second, scroll down to the bottom and enable the "Alternate dbase mgmt"-Box. This isn't 100% neccessary, it can work without this option. I tested two devices and both had to have this option enabled to keep the settings after a reboot. To be sure, just enable it.

You can now close Directory Bind and check your /sdcard/external_sd/-folder again to see everything is there! Reboot to check if you were successful in the whole "bind on boot"-thing.

Thks for the great guide. Followed your instructions to the letter and it worked perfect however it doesnt stick on boot. Yep def ticked the bind on boot but i have to go through this process everytime i reboot.

Any suggestions on a possible fix or oversight on my part

freakin.ro

Nov 21, 2011
Tried this few times.. It works pretty good.. But the only problem is my gallery showing double images.. From emmc & external..how to hide one of it? Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

you could try another gallery app called "QuickPic" ... there you can choose to don´t scan specified folders.

r4stafari

Jul 14, 2010
Did everything as instructed.. by bind didnt stick after reboot...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
Did everything as instructed.. by bind didnt stick after reboot...

I think its super user related because mine works about 75% after reboot and when it doesn't I just need to open the app, click the icon so it turns green again (no typing required) and exit the app then it works again.
weird I know but I can live with that, only takes a few seconds to do

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

r4stafari

Jul 14, 2010
I think its super user related because mine works about 75% after reboot and when it doesn't I just need to open the app, click the icon so it turns green again (no typing required) and exit the app then it works again.
weird I know but I can live with that, only takes a few seconds to do

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

What u mean by superuser related?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everone!

First of all: I know I do not post a new ROM here, and also I know that this isn't the usual way to clear things, I hope the mods can forgive me, I will explain why I start this thread.

First of all, the problem: As a lot of you noticed, when you try an ICS-based ROM like CM9 or any of those MIUI v4-clones, your external SD-card is gone. Normally you find all your data at /sdcard/external_sd/, and now you go to that folder with a file explorer to see that it's empty.

A lot of those guys now post in the threads of these ROMs complaining about lost data and stuff, sometimes getting an answer, sometimes not. The workaround is the same on all these ROMs, but most of the ROM devs do not add this fix to their start-postings.
    As no one reads a full 300+-pages thread, the solution for this problem gets lost ("Didn't you read the solution on page 153?" :)). This is why I start a new thread to link on, with a full tutorial, even pictures are added, yaaay.

Again: This is no new solution, I didn't code anything new.

-----

So this is how you do it:

First of all go to this thread and download the apk for Directory Bind. Install it.
    This app was built to move data to your external SD to get more space on your internal memory, we use this app in a different way.

When you use a file explorer with root permissions, you will see that your external SD can be found at /mnt/emmc/. This folder is unhandy to use, as most applications aren't built to access any directories outside /sdcard/ (would need root permissions). [I once saw a ROM where the external SD was mounted to /mnt/ext_sdcard/, if that's the case in your ROM, just do it the same way :)]

So you start Directory Bind, tap on the menu button and add a new entry. Use these settings:

directory_bind_1.png

As you see, all data that's in /emmc/ (do NOT forget the slash at the end!) should get mounted to /sdcard/external_sd/ (again: don't forget the slash). Do NOT tick the "Transfer files from target to data"-Button, as this would cause the whole external SD to be copied onto your internal memory!

After tapping "Add", you should see a new entry in your list of bindings. Tap on the disc-icon in front of that entry, so it becomes green:

directory_bind_2.jpg

If the icon becomes red, check if you have any spelling mistakes in the paths you used or if /emmc/ is the correct path for your SD-card [see /ext_sdcard/-issue above].

Thanks for this tip, work in AOKP Bezke 07/03/2012

Screenshot_2012-03-08-09-21-10.png
    Finally found this thread ::) I never used a external SD card in GS2, now I m on Slim ICS the problem is i cant read the contents of ext SD card after copying files!! After reboot only they appear in mnt/emmc/ :( dunno why.. Can anyone help me out.. Thankung in advance :)