[HELP!] RUU Botched and stuck with boot loop/load screen

Search This thread

ragnsep

Mar 5, 2007
Hey All,

To get things started I was just looking to root/rom my friends phone to get him the wifi hotspot among some other goodies associated with custom roms. I have a good amount of experience regarding flashing, rooting, command line, etc.. I change my S4 rom weekly, and have had some experience with HTC recoveries dating back to my old, old, (OLD) HTC Apache (Yeah that was windows mobile 5). More recently I've worked with a HTC EVO.

Here's where I stand with this HTC EVO 4g LTE.

I originally tried to flash a RUU that was 'one click' thinking that it would be similar to the 1-Click Root and Recovery found for Samsung Devices, I was wrong. I know now that I needed S-OFF for this particular file and well, things didnt go well. The RUU froze (guessing because of the security reasons).

So the device now only boots to the HTC Splash indefinately or I can get it into the bootloader.

In an attempt to road of recovery, I have:
Installed TWRP v2.6.1.0 - Leaving **TAMPERED**, (I suspect)
HTCDev unlocked - Leaving **UNLOCKED**

I'd be happy to just get this thing to boot stock rom, from there I think I can S-OFF and get a custom rom on. But one step at at time.

I've tried running RUU_JEWEL_CL_JB_45_S_Sprint_WWE_3.17.651.4_Radio_1.13.11.0830_NV_3.02_003_PRL25007_release_334470_signed.zip as an attempt to recover stock, I've read reports that I might need to relock the phone to get this to work. Is this true?

I've read and read and read and tried and tried to no avail, just looking for a little pointer to get me in the right direction.

Included is my fastboot getvar all:

Code:
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.10.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.13.11.0830
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.17.651.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT27FS401770
(bootloader) imei: 990000667854337
(bootloader) product: jewel
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ7510000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3845mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-b28ce9b8
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or guidance.

G

GuestK0087

Hey All,

To get things started I was just looking to root/rom my friends phone to get him the wifi hotspot among some other goodies associated with custom roms. I have a good amount of experience regarding flashing, rooting, command line, etc.. I change my S4 rom weekly, and have had some experience with HTC recoveries dating back to my old, old, (OLD) HTC Apache (Yeah that was windows mobile 5). More recently I've worked with a HTC EVO.

Here's where I stand with this HTC EVO 4g LTE.

I originally tried to flash a RUU that was 'one click' thinking that it would be similar to the 1-Click Root and Recovery found for Samsung Devices, I was wrong. I know now that I needed S-OFF for this particular file and well, things didnt go well. The RUU froze (guessing because of the security reasons).

So the device now only boots to the HTC Splash indefinately or I can get it into the bootloader.

In an attempt to road of recovery, I have:
Installed TWRP v2.6.1.0 - Leaving **TAMPERED**, (I suspect)
HTCDev unlocked - Leaving **UNLOCKED**

I'd be happy to just get this thing to boot stock rom, from there I think I can S-OFF and get a custom rom on. But one step at at time.

I've tried running RUU_JEWEL_CL_JB_45_S_Sprint_WWE_3.17.651.4_Radio_1.13.11.0830_NV_3.02_003_PRL25007_release_334470_signed.zip as an attempt to recover stock, I've read reports that I might need to relock the phone to get this to work. Is this true?

I've read and read and read and tried and tried to no avail, just looking for a little pointer to get me in the right direction.

Included is my fastboot getvar all:

Code:
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.10.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.13.11.0830
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.17.651.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT27FS401770
(bootloader) imei: 990000667854337
(bootloader) product: jewel
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ7510000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3845mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-b28ce9b8
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Thank you so much in advance for any advice or guidance.

Yes, relock the bootloader and try the official RUU again. fastboot oem lock.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ragnsep

Mar 5, 2007
I get [Error 158] IMAGE ERROR after **RELOCKING** the bootloader. Do I need any firmware zips on my sdcard renamed to P175xxx or whatever is specified for other RUUs?

G

GuestK0087

Thanks, I noticed this is a different image version...

Out of curiosity, was the partition table on this RUU very different from the previous one? And was that the issue?

This one has the partition set up the way it should have been from the start. More space internal for apps and such. Did it work?

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

markb629

Jan 20, 2013
Fall River
Have you tried flashing a custom recovery then flashing a sense Rom (you're on 3.17 so anything based on that or 3.16 will be compatible with the version your log says you're on)? If that works then at least you can go for s off before trying anything else.

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app