[APP] Pubtran London 0.1

Search This thread

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
Hi, I just released a London public transit journey planner app - Pubtran London. You'll find it on the Market. Can you try it and give some feedback?

FEATURES
  • Intelligent autocomplete with all London stops / stations
  • Easy to use and neat interface
  • ...more coming later, this is the first version
This is based on my "Pubtran" app (journey planner for Czech Republic, #4 top rated on appbrain.com). I want to create versions for more cities / countries in the future, if you are a developer willing to cooperate on this, please let me know. I'm working on making it really easy for developers to add support for other public transit networks.

Reactions: wasabiiro

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
Hi there,

Just installed the program. I am guessing the lack of stations is because it is still in beta.
I like the interface, simple is nice.

However, I get constant FC on my Samsung Galaxy i9000. So i cannot fully test the program :(.

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
@benG1

Thanks for trying it! What stations are missing and when do you get the FCs? I know that when you enter a station that is not in the autocomplete list, it usually crashes.
I will fix that obviously but I think that users would rarely enter the whole station manually - they would select it from the autocomplete (if it's there of course).

BTW are you from London?

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
Oh wait my bad. All stations are there. Just only the stations beginning with a are shown in dropdown box with no input into search box which is what confused me.

Fc's when i click find journey...

And yes i am from London but in newcastle at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
The newest version from the Market should fix some crashing issues.
But there is still one bug - it crashes when you enter stop name that contains apostrophe (').

I was asking if you are from London to find out if nearest stop suggestions are working but now I know it doesn't...

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
Just downloaded the new one.

For some reason, even though I am in Newcastle it gave me my 2 nearest stations back home... whether or not that is because I put in my station last time.

But gave me the correct route, just some buses came up as D...what does that mean? Rail replacement?

Otherwise, gives good routes and such. Looking good, potential app for me to use at home :D

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
The stops are sorted based on several factors - previous use, time of previous use, importance (tube stations are more importnt than bus stops) and geo distance. So the 2 were suggested because you used them previously.

What is bus D - I don't know too :), probably replacement.

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
Looking good then, just the apostrophe issue and i say good to go! Loving the simplistic theme so please dont change :D.

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
Simplicity is one of my top priorities, so you don't need to worry :)
But I guess it'll take some time before final release is ready - there are still some minor issues and I want to add some features (search options, add to calendar etc).

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
Definitely has more stations than any other existing app on the market.

The interface is very simple, which I like, but it takes time to realise what means what. I mean like how the transfers are marked, etc. Maybe you could include some help with the app or starting overview.

And the only visual bug I've noticed on my Nexus One is that if the station name is too long, it goes under delete button and looks a bit messy. I think the button should have a white background, so that it hides text under it.

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
I think the results are easy to understand imho.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
I don't think you should necessarily change anything. It's just that I was used to some other apps, and it took a good couple looks to get used to this one, but when I did, I just love the simplicity.

What I'd like to see in this app is a bit more advanced planning options, so that I could exclude some modes of transportation. So let's say I want to travel only by bus, I should exclude everything else.

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
@Karolis
Search options are definitely coming in the future (departure/arrival time, modes of transport - bus/tube/tram/... etc). I'll probably leave the layout unchanged for now.

adesweb

Jun 10, 2010
Nice, but needs more functionality

I like it, but it could do with some more functionality.

• Ability to see the endpoint of transit

Could do with:
  • Ability to record home and bookmark other destinations
  • Ability to get geolocation
  • Transit maps

One of the other London transit apps I use is London Journey, which offers a lot more to me than something like this to be honest.

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
@adesweb
Ability to record home and bookmark other destinations - I don't think this is needed. The autocomplete dropdown suggests stops that you have used before.

Ability to get geolocation - This is not working for some reason, I can't test that as I'm not from London...

Transit maps - I will add that sometimes.

London Journey app - I hope my app will be better eventually :)

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
New version on the market:

* Option to choose departure or arrival time
* New icon :)
* Minor visual changes
* Nearest stops suggestions should work now
* Improved stops list
* Fixed crash with stops, that contain apostrophe

What should be in the next release?

benG1

Feb 23, 2010
Downloaded the new version.

Not a fan of the new icon, but minor details.

Like the new journey interface, looks nice and still easy to read. Apostrophe crash sorted on my phone too.

Next release, choose bus or train, direct route/fastest route/less congested route etc? Dont go through station or dont use certain transport ^_^

fhucho

Oct 30, 2010
Try version 1.0 from the Market. What's new:

* Advanced search options
* Route details with traffic disruptions
* New icon (again)
* Visual changes
* All National Rail stations in the UK included
* You can enter postcodes as departure / arrival

I think it's the best app for journey planning now :)
Any feedback is appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I eventually found it on the market. I can't post links on this forum yet, but its there, I think it wasn't showing as its not supported on my new device (Galaxy S2)

This won't let me install on my S2, so downloaded it from 1mobile. Just search 1mobile pubtran london 1.4

Seems to work fine. I've found it to be the simplest and cleanest TFL journey planner, so I like having it as opposed to Journey Pro or some of the others.
    Though bus departure boards would be nice to have too ;)
    Hi, I just released a London public transit journey planner app - Pubtran London. You'll find it on the Market. Can you try it and give some feedback?

FEATURES
    • Intelligent autocomplete with all London stops / stations
    • Easy to use and neat interface
    • ...more coming later, this is the first version
    This is based on my "Pubtran" app (journey planner for Czech Republic, #4 top rated on appbrain.com). I want to create versions for more cities / countries in the future, if you are a developer willing to cooperate on this, please let me know. I'm working on making it really easy for developers to add support for other public transit networks.