[MOD] beats audio cwm flashable zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

willblake13

Mar 27, 2011
Washington
Is there any more changes you want me to make to the post I want to give credit where it is due

Remember its not really yours until you have voided the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Beats audio libs:
    Pulled from ROCKO rom
    Link has been removed, many people are not giving RockoDev the props he deserves for his work.
    Yeah I did too, I pulled it from rocko

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

credits would be nice:) just saying

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
    Very nice. I feel that the beats audio mod is just a simple loudness effect. Bump the bass and treble to make up for lower quality headphones.

I would be interested to see a sweep using to built in dsp and crank the bass to ensure that your test controls are correct.

Sent from my MoPho. All typos are the phones fault.

Why not?

Changes in procedure:

1) Generated a logarithmic sweep, 10-22kHz, 20s, same source. This was done to provide more time at lower frequencies.
    2) File analyzed three ways: first, the base file spectrum is shown, which is important due to the rolloff in high frequencies in the base logarithmic file. Second, the "flat" spectrum is shown, where no DSP effects are active. Third, bass and treble are both raised, while the mids are lowered in the EQ.

Base file spectrum:
    base.png

"Flat" spectrum, no EQ:
    spectrum-flateq.png

Bass boost, treble boost:
    spectrum-bass.png

Analysis:

This is about what we would expect. There are some alterations between the actual file and the playback with no EQ, but they're pretty close. As with the previous graph, there seems to be a pretty sharp rolloff at 20kHz on the Photon, no matter what you're doing. This isn't too surprising.

There are significant alterations to the frequency profile of the EQ'ed spectrum, which again is expected. One of the key reasons I would suggest that this mod isn't doing anything at the moment is that anytime you start filtering a signal (which is what an EQ basically is), you start to see peaks and valleys in the spectrum - no filters are perfectly flat.

Conclusion:

I am not an audio engineer, but I do know a few things about signal processing and frequency spectra. I do, again, reserve to change my mind based on future testing, or input from an actual expert. That said, my professional opinion based on these tests is that whatever flashing this package does, it does not result in an altered audio profile on the Photon.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Can someone explain me the difference of this 'beats audio'?

It's a audio replacement driver to use with high-end beats devices? And if yes, it means that if a broght a beats headphone i need to use with devices with beats audio enabled to use their full performance? Thats sounds strange for me... i think that headphones need to work everywhere.

See above.

HTC phones ship with "Beats Audio" libraries, which are supposed to be improved audio drivers as compared to other phones. General consensus is that, like Beats generally does, it basically serves as a bass boost, which many people generally find to be a more rich sound. This is designed to work regardless of what headphones you are using, though currently, it is supposed to work only in the Beats Audio app which ships on these phones.

This package is supposed to add the Beats functionality to the Photon, but results are ... unclear at the moment. My testing so far does not seem to indicate that flashing this package has any noticeable effect on the frequency spectrum (or noise, I might add) compared to stock. That said, being that audio quality is about the most subjective thing you can imagine, I'm sure certain people will disagree with my conclusions.
    Well I was hoping someone could list with confidence a device/ROM combo where the mod is working.
    But I'm sure it won't be you as your previous measurements are pretty clear ;)

OP statements (and certainly his request for donations) are obviously wrong but I'm curious if some of the files can be parsed and applied in some configurations.
    I'm thinking especially about csv or txt files that can be used as register/values pairs sent to the audio chips with some HTC or MSM-based drivers.

Maybe there's some partial truth in that. 100% placebo seems more credible tho.

My suspicion as well. I do have an old HTC Hero and my wife's Nexus S that I can try this on, which I may do here in a bit.

I would think the issue is actually how the various driver calls are made (or in this case, not made). I can install all the libraries I want on my phone, but if none of them are actually called in the output path, they do no good. In looking at the CSV and text files, they appear to mostly be filter coefficients, which would make sense given what Beats is understood to do, but would also make sense from the standpoint that the filters might not be applied unless they were specifically called by the audio program (put differently, unless the audio program *knew* to call them).

I would be interested to know what TechCrunch's tests were, and what exactly they did, if they supposedly got it working. The two screenshots they have posted aren't even just noticeably different - they are noticeably not even the same song. If you're going to publish something like that, gotta publish the protocol too.

I'm taking down the link to until you all can be a little more appreciative of his work. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have It in the first place.

Remember it's not really yours until you have voided the warranty.

Please. You're saying that if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have something that, by all quantifiable appearances doesn't do anything? I'm not quite sure I follow your logic.

If this actually worked then I would be appreciative of it. As is, flashing this zip does not alter the audio profile in any statistically significant way. Again, if you want to dispute, then take measurements (complete with your protocol) and prove me wrong. I'm certainly willing to change my mind, but it's going to take more than "OMGz, this sounds awesomez on my Beatz headphonez".
    There all better :)

Remember it's not really yours until you have voided the warranty.

true it was just time consuming to download the rom look for them and put in rocko rom make sure the rom boots if doesnt find the file affecting the boot and all that other good stuff

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium