Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

What do you think about the Fairphone?

• Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

bwildenhain

Nov 14, 2013
Source code

Hi,

after sending another mail to Fairphone I received the following mail today:

Dear Benedikt,

i got the confirmation we will be publishing the Linux Kernel sources under GPL today, the latest tomorrow. You will be
able to find it in our Support centre under the category downloads.

Regards,

Miquel Ballester
Product Strategy

Finally, they seem to follow the Linux Kernel's licence :)

Regards,
Benedikt

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
After having the Fairphone a short day, some impressions.

I did not have some installing problems with gapps (or maps api, DB navigator works fine)

My front facing camera shows 5 Megapixel, my rear camera has 6 Megapixel.
Can anybody else confirm this? @joemier?

Changing from CM I miss some features, so I hope CM will come to Fairphone soon.

My first impression is really positive. I like the quick launcher!

Where can I upload pictures here?

Last edited:

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Hi all, been looking around on xda for my Sensation and have been following this thread the last weeks for info about the Fairphone. Yesterday it arrived and have been playing around with it.

* First I had the problem with installing the play store (language set to English) but the second try it worked.
* Swiping pulled out the Fairphone menu all the time so changed the launcher very quickly to Nova Launcher.
* Got an AnTuTu score of 13546.
* Can notice it is faster then the Sensation in browsing and apps installing. Haven't played any games.
* You can turn in off but your alarm clock still works.

I am not a developer but if there are any questions or things you would like to know I am willing to check them and post the results (as long as there is no real danger to the phone, so no drop tests :p)

Kind regards

I also use a third party launcher. Usually they're more powerful and customizable.
Very close to my AnTuTu result. Important thing is to provide also the version of the app. The HTC Sensation is an oldie, definitely cannot compete with the Fairphone ;)
The alarm functionality is very nice.

Hi,

after sending another mail to Fairphone I received the following mail today:

Dear Benedikt,

i got the confirmation we will be publishing the Linux Kernel sources under GPL today, the latest tomorrow. You will be
able to find it in our Support centre under the category downloads.

Regards,

Miquel Ballester
Product Strategy

Finally, they seem to follow the Linux Kernel's licence :)

Regards,
Benedikt

Cannot find it now, but will be available hopefully very soon. Thank you for this good news.

After having the Fairphone a short day, some impressions.

I did not have some installing problems with gapps (or maps api, DB navigator works fine)

My front facing camera shows 5 Megapixel, my rear camera has 6 Megapixel.
Can anybody else confirm this? @joemier?

Changing from CM I miss some features, so I hope CM will come to Fairphone soon.

My first impression is really positive. I like the quick launcher!

Where can I upload pictures here?

Strange behaviour, maybe Fairphone changed something in their installation procedure, probably not the Gapps file packages. Can you provide these gapps files by uploading to a public available storage?
I don't upload images directly to XDA, because they have a maximum in size (kB) and dimensions (pixels). I use abload.de and include the URLs to the uploaded files.

Reactions: haiag

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Strange behaviour, maybe Fairphone changed something in their installation procedure, probably not the Gapps file packages. Can you provide these gapps files by uploading to a public available storage?
I don't upload images directly to XDA, because they have a maximum in size (kB) and dimensions (pixels). I use abload.de and include the URLs to the uploaded files.

Here is the screenshot to show the 6 MP. Does anyobne else has only 6 MP instead of 8?
screenshot_2014-01-07acijb.png

I startet in English, logged into WiFi and downloaded and installed the gapps (No SIM, No MicroSD).
Afterwards I changed the Language to German.
I did not find the gapps files on my phone.

Ahzriaz

Jan 7, 2014
The Sensation is old but the GPU score is higher then of the FP. Also the memory for apps is a bit higher. But the cpu of the FP is a lot better.
@haiag

On my FP I have the following options:
Front camera: 1.3M - 2M - 3M - 5M
Back: above + 8 M

Strange yours misses the options. When I change the language to Deutchs I still have all the options.
What is the resolution of the pictures? (yuo can find it by opening the picture and press settings -> details)

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
The Sensation is old but the GPU score is higher then of the FP. Also the memory for apps is a bit higher. But the cpu of the FP is a lot better.

@haiag

Strange yours misses the options. When I change the language to Deutchs I still have all the options.
What is the resolution of the pictures? (yuo can find it by opening the picture and press settings -> details)

I found the answer.
When I use the fullscreen mode, then the maximum MP-option is 6. Back to 4:3 mode it is 8.

Hyst

Sep 11, 2012
The Linux kernel source is on its way.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe

Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step.

I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore. And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?

asmaron

Oct 10, 2013
Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step. I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore.

Absolutely agree with that! FP is back on the right way now. :good: Thanks for preparing to share the source code with us!

And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?

Thats a good question! I think @benkxda knows more about that. He seems to be very active on XDA. So maybe he can tell us or bring this questions to the right moderators.
@joemier: I've some questions about the workers welfare found. I wrote some post on the FP-Forums over there. Maybe you can have a look at! Thanks indeed!

Regards,
Asmaron

Jan 6, 2014
Swedish language needed

So, again, I have seven Fairphones on their way here for my staff. It's very important to have a swedish translation of the operating system in the phone. Can you @joemier inform me on how this issue is taken care of? I would be glad to have the answer for my staff that the translation is coming up.

fredflegel

Apr 15, 2013
Got my Fairphone

I received my fairphone yesterday and i am quite impressed. Performance is solid for me, Screen looks great!
I did not install Gapps, trying to live without them for a while. Synced my Contacts and Calendar with Davdroid (from the f-droid.org repository). Firefox runs fast, but crashed once for me and did not play youtube videos (internal browser did). Alarm features are very welcome and liked automatic shutdown and turn on. Both features worked fine.
The phone feels really good (i like that it is heavy). I uploaded some unboxing pics to flickr: flickr.com/photos/benimnetz/sets/72157639528081595/.

PS: Golem.de has review online as well.

Thanks to fairphone for the fast progress with kernel sources!

dbrgn

Aug 13, 2010
dbrgn.ch
I'm experiencing strange glitches with the touchscreen when putting the Fairphone on my bed with the USB charger attached.

youtube.com/watch?v=2yCBnQU02Co

(Unfortunately I can't post/embed the link directly because I have less than 10 posts here. Can maybe some mod edit the post and enable the video embedding?)

- When holding it in my hand with the USB charger connected or when laying on the bed without the charger connected, everything works fine.
- If I put it on my bed with the charger connected, the touchscreen goes crazy when touching it.

I'm not sure what the problem is, possibly it's because my mattress contains silver for anti-bacterial reasons. Or maybe it's differences in electric potential when touching the back side (= holding it in my hand) while being connected to the charger. Does someone else experience these issues?

Milltach

Dec 3, 2011
Because I was reading that there are many software glitches, I thought about one thing:
why did they not just use Cyanogenmod or something similar? That would save development costs and CM is right stable
(ok I have to say that 10.2.0 stable is the worst und most buggy thing I have ever seen BUT updates are hopefully coming soon => and here again: there would be no dev costs for fairphone)

Last edited:

drcyber

Dec 29, 2011
I'm not sure what the problem is, possibly it's because my mattress contains silver for anti-bacterial reasons. Or maybe it's differences in electric potential when touching the back side (= holding it in my hand) while being connected to the charger. Does someone else experience these issues?

I dont have my Fairphone yet, but i had such Problems with my Xperia-Arc, in this case it had something to do with the GND of the Charger. With some it was not useable , other Chargers worked better. Did you try another Charger ?

dbrgn

Aug 13, 2010
dbrgn.ch
I dont have my Fairphone yet, but i had such Problems with my Xperia-Arc, in this case it had something to do with the GND of the Charger. With some it was not useable , other Chargers worked better. Did you try another Charger ?

Right now I'm using the original HTC Desire charger. I'll test another one tonight :)

It's not really a problem for me, I was just wondering why it happens.

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Here is the screenshot to show the 6 MP. Does anyobne else has only 6 MP instead of 8?
screenshot_2014-01-07acijb.png

I startet in English, logged into WiFi and downloaded and installed the gapps (No SIM, No MicroSD).
Afterwards I changed the Language to German.
I did not find the gapps files on my phone.
Ok. Did it preselect German or English as the system language?

@haiag

Can you provide an up to date AnTuTu benchmark with the Sensation? What I found on the internet were "old" benchmarks, but all far below the Fairphone's GPU power.

I found the answer.
When I use the fullscreen mode, then the maximum MP-option is 6. Back to 4:3 mode it is 8.
Thanks for sharing another solution. I cannot see, why there should be a limit to 6 MP because of the fullscreen mode, though.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe
Sweet. It's getting closer... :) :good:

Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step.

I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore. And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?

Absolutely agree with that! FP is back on the right way now. :good: Thanks for preparing to share the source code with us!

Thats a good question! I think @benkxda knows more about that. He seems to be very active on XDA. So maybe he can tell us or bring this questions to the right moderators.

@joemier: I've some questions about the workers welfare found. I wrote some post on the FP-Forums over there. Maybe you can have a look at! Thanks indeed!

Regards,
Asmaron

Yes, communication has a good flow. I like that.
About the subforum: A few days ago I asked a Moderator about the Fairphone, if it is possible to get a own forum for it. He will check that. Meanwhile you can suggest a new forum for our device in the thread *** New Device Forum Requests ***. I already did as well as two others.
This thread has currently 29,102 views (at least tomorrow we reach 30,000) and 214 replies to the OP. And the device is not delivered to all customers now. Also, the sources for the kernel are coming soon. So for me it's the beginning and we already have enough attention, also in the press. And don't forget, we have Joe Mier from Fairphone in here, also @KimHansenDenmark from Kwamecorp.

So, again, I have seven Fairphones on their way here for my staff. It's very important to have a swedish translation of the operating system in the phone. Can you @joemier inform me on how this issue is taken care of? I would be glad to have the answer for my staff that the translation is coming up.
@joemier, if there is no chance to get it done by Fairphone, can we get this done as a community driven translation? We can ask the guys in the translation thread. I guess, this is quite a lot to translate.

Last edited:
Reactions: akiro75 and asmaron

Ahzriaz

Jan 7, 2014
AnTuTu on Sensation

@benkxda

Just updated AnTuTu to 4.1.6 on the Sensation.
Screenshots are attached.
Sensation still seems to have better GPU.

Attachments

• 2014-01-08_15-19-47.png
    2014-01-08_15-19-47.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-01-08_15-19-40.png
    2014-01-08_15-19-40.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: benkxda

bwildenhain

Nov 14, 2013
Source has been published

Best,
Joe

@benxda

It has just been published :) at www.fairphone.com//downloads/softwa...urce code_Package 1_Linux Kernel_GPL_L.tar.gz
(Or www.fairphone.com -> Support -> Downloads).

@joemier
However, the Kernel is still incomplete, the included build (alps/kernel/build.sh) script complains about the file ./mediatek/build/shell.sh missing, but there is no folder alps/mediatek :( I hope this can be fixed soon.

Regards,
Benedikt

Last edited:

joemier

Aug 6, 2013
Amsterdam
www.fairphone.com
Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package

Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!

fjxda

Jan 2, 2014
We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!

Thank you JOE! Thats really cool. I think it went quick (even if I was told the roms would be available this week, I didn't believe it - yeah - I need to appologize that I didn't trust you). Most vendors don't provide images at all, so I am really happy that you do. Thanks!

For the others: Maybe you ask whats difference between AOSP and Fairphone OS. At least I did. Ok, so I checked which files exist in one package and not in the other:

$ diff -rq FP_AOSP FP_OS | grep -v "sind verschieden."
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneHome.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneHome.odex.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneIFixIt.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhonePeaceOfMindApp.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhonePeaceOfMindApp.odex.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairphoneUpdater.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairphoneUpdater.odex.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: Launcher2.apk.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: Launcher2.odex.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: QuickSearchBox.apk.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: QuickSearchBox.odex.

Mainly, AOSP contains the stock android home app (launcher), FP OS contains the fairphone home app (launcher).
So FP OS, is what was installed on the phone on delivery.

If you flash one of these images, the google apps will be removed from the phone. Probably, there is NO factory reset (=deleting user data) necessary, to remove the google apps. Flashing the image is enough.

Hope that helps.

Another tipp: If you have already bricked your phone, you will not be able to copy the files to the internal SD-card and the recovery application is not able to read from the external SD-card.

But in this case, you can still install the firmware with adb sideload
www.google.de/search?q=adb+sideload

(You will need to install adb, either by installing the http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download or by installing adb from your linux package manager (ubuntu). A recent version of adb is needed, as adb sideload is a newer feature).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

Thread link
    Announcement
    21 Jun 2014: Added a 60 days poll. Just for your information, your vote and choice is public.
    03 Apr 2014: iFixit released one of their famous teardowns for the Fairphone and Fairphone sells spare parts. BAM!!! Greets and thanks to Miro from iFixit.
    23 Mar 2014: Added pictures from opening the device to clean the dusty back side of the photo camera lens.

31 Jan 2014: We have our own Fairphone Forum. That's really grand.
    25 Jan 2013: Added two links. First, the unoffical FairPhone Users Forum and Fairphone at XDA Developers Wiki.
    19 Jan 2014: Added a lot of links recently. Today I want to point you to a petition to get AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices (thanks to @Donat.Callens)
    09 Jan 2014: Hid some larger content to get a better structure in the OP. By clicking the buttons you can recover the content. Added a link to the download section on the official Fairphone website for the "FP1" (indicates that there will be a FP2?).
    05 Jan 2014: Added a new section "Apps" due to a new app coming up, Fairphone Launcher by LuLeBe
    Older announcements

Fairphone - The Technical Details And Links
    The Fairphone - technical details, weblinks and other stuff
    fairphonepics9oedz.png

First of all - read the story behind the Fairphone to know, why it's fair and what it is all about.

Official Fairphone website
    Fairphone Spare Parts
    Fairphone accessories - Case (black)
    Fairphone Tutorial - Getting you started with your Fairphone (video tutorials)
    Downloads for the FP1: Repair form, Fariphone OS, Stock Android, source code packages, 3D files (CAD), Graphic Design and user guide
    The story behind the Fairphone
    Technical specifications
    The FAQs
    Download the Fairphone Press Kit (30-10)
    The Fairphone shop

More weblinks
    iFixit: Fairphone
    Requests to Fairphone
    Fairphone at XDA Developers Wiki
    unoffical FairPhone Users Forum (English forum)
    Fairphone Freunde (German forum)
    Petition: AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices[/B]
    Loco Toys Blog
    Fairphone OS on GitHub (incl. FairPhoneHome and FairPhonePeaceOfMind)
    Kwamecorp, the company who creates the Fairphone OS
    AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices (Petition)
    Fairphone on Google+
    WeAreFairphone FairPhone Fans Users & Enthusiasts (G+ community)
    Fairphone on Vimeo
    Fairphone on Twitter
    Fairphone on Facebook
    Fairphone on Flickr

Articles, reviews, videos, images...
    [08 Jan 2014] Glückliches Smartphone aus fairem Anbau (golem.de, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Fairphone im Praxis-Test: Smartphone fürs gute Gewissen (Computer Bild, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Kommentar: Das Fairphone ist gut genug (heise online, German)
    [Update 3.1.2014; 02 Jan 2014] Fairphone im Kurztest (c't, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Fairphone: Öko-Handy im ersten Eindruck (Computer Bild, German)

Apps, widgets, themes, software
    Fairphone Launcher on Google Play by LuLeBe
    Peace of Mind+, A fork of Fairphone's app by mudar1488. Find out more on Google Play, GitHub, development website, XDA portal

Known issues
    1. Serial number: It seems that the serial number is not a valid serial number, but the standard number 0123456789ABCDEF (solution below)

2. Google Maps API: Apps which take advantage of the Google Maps API are currently incompatible with the Fairphone (e.g. DB Navigator, Öffi - Fahrplanauskunft) (solution below)

3. Device wiggles: If you touch the device if its laying on a flat surface, it wiggles unacceptably. The reason is the popping out speaker grill on the bottom right and the camera and LED module at the top left, both on the backside.

4. 1 GB limit for apps: There is a limit of 1 GB for app installation. Of course, you can move installations to the SD card or use managing apps like Link2SD[/URL. Learn more on the [URL="https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-"]official support page (thanks to haiag)

Mods, hacks, solutions
    Please keep in mind, that you are using this at your own risk and may void your warranty.

Power measurements by globuli (original post)
    I finally got around to do more extensive power measurements (video with more detailed info to follow).

Everything is done with the display (when on) on lowest brightness, I have not looked into the effect of brightness on the consumption, hopefully next week. Also: the measuring equipment is self-built, so don't bet your money on my findings. The current was measured in 10 ms steps, then send through a rolling average. In theory anything could happen in between the 10 ms, and the consumption pattern suggests very short bursts of current. In brackets the time to live, if the battery delivers exactly 2000mAh

Display off, nothing to do in the background: basically below our precision, somewhere at 2mA (1000h), but I mean nothing to do
    Display on, nothing to do: 85 mA (23.5h)
    Video playback: ~160mA (12.5h)
    Incoming call 3G (with MP3 ringtone, vibrator, the works): > 410 mA (<4.8h), sorry, the measurement equipment clipped at 430mA
    Talking on 3G: 230 mA (8.7h)
    Incoming call 2G: (MP3, vibrator): >370 mA (5.4h), again, clipping involved, but clearly less than 3G
    Talking on 2G: 140 mA (14.3h)

With Z-Device-Test I tried other components as well, one interesting thing was that the flashlight apparently can only be switched on when the main camera module is active as well. BTW: the changing of the advertisement on the bottom of Z-Device Test costs ~30mA.

Main camera on (with picture in the display): 235mA (8.5h)
    Front camera on (with picture in the display): 195mA (10.2h)
    Vibrator: ~60 mA
    Flashlight: ~50 mA

GPS costs next to nothing, when trying different applications, GPS on or off seemingly made a difference of ~10mA, all power measurements here mainly showed costs for drawing pictures. Bluetooth similar, as long as the component is only on, but no pairing or other activity happens, next to nothing.

Heise wrote in their short test that in their measurements they assumed 7.1 hours of video playback, which would result to 281 mA. But at least with XVID and MP4 I could not make the Fairphone take more then 180 mA peak. No idea what the reason for that is, but as they explained, they emptied the battery to half it's capacity, but who knows how they deemed this "half". And our equipment surely is not off by 100 mA.

Lowering the volume by MoreThanADev (original post)
    I agree with you the speaker is too loud by default.

Here is the way to configure it without installing apps.

1) Enter Mediateck EngineerMode by calling *#*#3646633#*#* /!\ you can mess up your conf, be carefull not to randomly click on every button :)
    2) Swipe to the right to Hardware Testing
    3) Enter submenu Audio
    4) Select LoudSpeaker Mode
    5) in Type list, change Ring with Media

*Here i try to explain (with my poor english, and my poor explaining skills) how to adjust the sounds setting that best fits you, skip to 6) for a no brain guide*

This is the place of the sound settings for musics, movies and apps.

On the page you have a field Level which enables you to pick levels from 0 to 6
    and a field Value where you can put a number.

Levels corresponds to a fillness of the sound bar, so with default configuration, almost empty sound barre correspond to the level 0 and to the lowest sound of your phone.

If you want to change the sound volume for the almost empty sound bar, select Level 0 and change number in the field value (lower number => lower sound)

If you want to change the sound volume for bar filled at 1/6th change the value for Level 1 etc

The value I putted there were:

6)
    a)Select Level 0 and put 80 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    b)Select Level 1 and put 110 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    c)Select Level 2 and put 130 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    d)Select Level 3 and put 150 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    e)Select Level 4 and put 170 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    f)Select Level 5 and put 200 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    g)Select Level 6 and put 240 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.

7) Test your sound
    , if it fits you, go to 8, else read the text you skipped after 5 :p
    8) Restart (might not be necessary but, who knows :)), or if you don't restart makes sur to close the EngineerMode so you won't mess up with your conf by accident.

That seemed to work whithout breaking anythings with my phone, and hopefully it will with yours ;)

Gesture typing - Official Google Keyboard for the Fairphone
    Gesture typing aka swipe is not available on your Fairphone keyboard? No problem!
    As we figured out, the Google Keyboard from Google Play is not compatible with the Fairphone. But you can install the apk directly from the thread [APK] Official Google Keyboard.

After the download, follow following instruction:
    1. Go to Settings -> Security -> activate Unknown sources
    2. Scroll down the notification drawer and tap on the icon of the downloaded Google Keyboard apk
    3. Go to Settings -> Language & input -> activate the Google Keyboard.
    Done :)

Xposed solutions
    The Xposed framework is known for its very good customization abilities.
    One of the famous modules is GravityBox. With it we were able to solve some issues.

Volume slider interrupts system
    Sometimes changing the volume interrupts the system, because the volume slider won't disappear. The system is inoperable. Switching display on/off can help as well as a system reboot. Use the extended volume sliders from GravityBox.

Unused SIM slot notification
    If you have only inserted one SIM, you get an icon in the status bar. You can hide this notification with GravityBox.

How to install GravityBox
    First you have to download and install Xposed. In this app you can download GravityBox.

First: Download the Xposed Installer APK and install it
    Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the "Framework" section and click on "Install/Update"
    Reboot
    Done!

Second: Download and install GravityBox, therefore open Xposed, go to download section and select GravityBox.
    After that, enable the module by checking the checkbox in the modules section
    Reboot
    Done!

Serial number by fjxda (original post)
    I saw that XPrivacy can fake the serial number for the apps you select (and you can even select that ONLY the serial is faked by Xprivacy, and ONLY for one app, so it has no side effects. And you can input your real serial number into XPrivacy if you want!).

With the correct serial number faked by Xprivacy, my favourite navigation app does now work fine.
    [EDIT: You first need the XPosed framework to install XPrivacy afterwards.]

The open(ed) bootloader by fjxda (original post)
    The bootloader is open.
    I downloaded, modified an uploaded the boot.img and the phone did still boot, so it doesn't verify any signature of the boot image.

Hint: boot-image starts at /dev/bootimg
    /dev/bootimg seems to point to a start address of internal memory but you can access the whole memory through it. So if you write something into, you can brick your whole phone and delete everything - probably.
    The boot image is probably at most 0x600000 bytes large, afterwards recovery partition starts.

Command to retrieve the boot img:

dd if=/dev/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=6291456 count=1

Tools to modifiy:

https://github.com/bgcngm/mtk-tools

After repacking, the boot.img will be smaller (verify!).
    Then you can copy with dd if=/sdcard/boot1.img of=/dev/boot.img - on your own risk, better wait till official firmware image becomes available.

DON'T use cat on /dev/bootimg! Use dd.
    Don't write more than 6291456 bytes or your recovery will be lost.
    May be good Idea to backup recovery with
    dd if=/dev/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=6291456 count=1
    If using mtk-tools - use a unix filesystem to extract into so that executed-rights within the initramfs of the boot-img don't get lost.
    [EDIT: Made link clickable]

Google Maps API issues by MrJekyll (original post, this solution was verified as working by several XDA members)
    0. (install terminal emulator)
    EDIT: as imparted by Nicholas Evans in the Fairphone support forum, BusyBox is not necessary for this as the used programs are provided by Android itself.
    1. get superuser rights (Start terminal emulator, type "su" and press enter, grant root priveledges if asked for)
    2. remount your system-partition with write access (type "mount -o rw,remount /system" and enter)
    3. change the permissions for the following files to rw-r-r:
    /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
    /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
    /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
    (to do so, type "chmod 644 $file" and enter, replace $file with the filename and path as written above, do this for all three files)
    4. remount system-partition read only (type "mount -o ro,remount /system" and enter)
    5. close terminalemulator, delete appdata and updates for Google playstore and reboot. For me that was all.

Please have these instructions rewied by an experienced user/developer before using them, I will/can not guarantee for anything

Q&A discussion - You ask, Kwamecorp replies
    First Fairphone OS version is based on Android 4.2.2
    The widgets of Fairphone OS will be released as open source, they will be uninstallable and the system comes without bloatware. (I am really impressed!)

Q&A discussion - You ask, Fairphone replies
    OSB-OTG is working with the Fairphone
    Fairphone firmware updates possibly available OTA, updates will be available as long as possible, also stock Android available on launch. No tablet planned right now, currently focusing on the smartphone only. First prototypes not to be expected before October.
    Front side Dragontrail Glass, backside cover to reveal the battery/SIM cards is silver steel, the rest made of plastic.
    The navigation bar ("navbar") has capacitive buttons.

Technical specifications
    SoC: MediaTek MT6589 MT6589m
    CPU: Cortex A7 (ARMv7) 1.2 GHz quad-core
    GPU PowerVR SGX544 @ 286 MHz PowerVR SGX544 @ 156 MHz
    Radios: 3G, HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, GSM850/900/1800/1900MHZ, WCDMA 900/2100MHz, no CDMA
    WLAN: WIFI 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth: v2.1 + EDR / v3.0 + HS (802.11 AMP) / v4.0 LE
    GPRS Class GPRS Class 12
    EDGE Class Multi-Slot Class 12

Display: 960 × 540 pixel, 4,3" (qHD) LCD, 24 bit 16 Mio. colors, 256 ppi, capacitive protected by Dragontrail Glass
    Camera: 8 megapixels, AF (stabilization + image sensor) 3264 × 2448 pixel, photo LED, multishot
    Front facing camera: 1,3 megapixels
    Video: 1280 x 720 pixel
    Video Decode Format: MPEG4/H.264:1080p@30fps MPEG4/H.264:720p@30fps
    Video Encode Format: MPEG4/H.263:1080P@30fps MPEG4/H.263:720P@30fps H.264:720P@30fps
    Audio Decode Format: WAV,MP3,MP2,AAC,AMR-NB,AMR-WB,MIDI,Vorbis,APE,AAC-plus v1,Aac-plus v2,FLAC,WMA
    Audio Encode Format: AMR-NB,AMR-WB,AAC,OGG

Dual-SIM: yes, (Mini-SIM) Dual Stand-by SIM1: 2G SIM2: 3G, Standard format SIM (ID-000 format)
    Internal memory 16 GByte
    External memory: microSDHC up to 32 microSD (compatible SD, SDHC and SDXC types) (up to 64Gb)
    RAM: 1 GByte

Battery: Li-Ion 2000 mAh, replaceable
    HSDPA: 7,2 MBit/s
    HSUPA: 5,7 MBit/s
    UMTS: HSPA uplink cat 7 up to 11.5Mbps, downlink cat24 up to 42.2Mbps HSPA downlink cat 14 up to 21.1 Mbps
    LTE -
    NFC -

FM radio: yes
    Light sensor: yes
    G sensor: yes
    E compass: yes
    Proximity sensor: yes
    GPS: yes
    Glonass -
    Gyroscope: yes

SAR rating (indication): 0.318 W/Kg 0.329 W/Kg (CE)
    Dimensions & Weight: 123 x 64.5 x 10 mm 126 x 63.5 x 10 mm, 170 g
    Android version: 4.2
    Connector: Micro-USB
    Earphone Jack ¢3.5

Release date: expected in 3th quarter 2013 December 2013 December 2013 / January 2014

Screenshots

Teardown - Cleaning the backside of the camera lens cover

Opening metal backsided lid.
    img_0318e0skbt.jpg

Removed battery, SIM card and micro SD card.
    img_0320ek8y47.jpg

Close-up of the dusty camera lens cover.
    img_0323eefyb2.jpg

After removing five screws, you can remove the frame which covers the circuit boards.
    Removing the frame was a difficult and hard work, as it is clipped very tough and tight. If you have the right tools, don't be afraid, but still be careful.

img_0329eofby6.jpg

Picture from inside after cleaning. The square black rubber around the lens cover does not protect well. It probably is just too thin.
    Other than that, the whole circuit boards and all electronic components where dusty on the top of the device. Possible reasons: USB port, earphone jack, power button

img_0335eiujes.jpg

Benchmarks

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4, result: 13179
    shot_2013-12-31_21-314mz73.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-31cmsj7.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-316jxzu.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-3131sid.png

CF-Bench 1.3, result: 12960 (sorry for the volume slider)
    shot_2013-12-31_21-3656sud.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-37g7suu.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-37umx5a.png

Quadrant Standard Edition 2.1.1, result: 4824
    shot_2013-12-31_21-391jx2i.png

Fairphone OS Screenshots

Beginning with a journey through some system setting screens.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-12npsbp.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-12ctsjt.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-13adsve.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-13duspc.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-135db8v.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-16x1s9i.png

Next up some memory screenshots an a switch on/off timer, I think for the automatic on/off scheduler.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-18m4szr.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-185blxk.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-19oasak.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-223ts5h.png

System tool and Google Maps API

CPU-Z and an app for public transportation like DB Navigator. I did not find DB Navigator in the Store, but Öffi - Fahrplanauskunft was found on the Fairphone. As this app is similar to DB Navigator, it's not compatible due to recent mentioned problems with the Google Maps API. There is already a detailed solution for the Google Maps API issues by @MrJekyll.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-408mlyv.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-4050s8z.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-50k2ssb.png

Battery consumption

screenshot_2014-01-02r2sjc.png
    screenshot_2014-01-029luj7.png

Videos

FAIRPHONE UNBOXING HD

Alternative OS on Fairphone

Fair Lifestyle - Technology | Euromaxx

Dragontrail glass

Manufacturer: Asahi Glass Co.
    Dragontrail details (PDF)
    Information on Wikipedia

Incredible aMazing Dragontrail glass screen test for xiaomi m2 smartphone from ibuygou

Dragontrail VS the All-Stars
    Hi,

I am Kees and I have started working for Fairphone at the first of June. As
    Embedded software developer and Open Source addict I spent most of my career
    doing what I like most: writing software and playing with hardware.

I joined the Fairphone team because I believe that a Fairphone phone deserves
    to be running Open Source software. I will do what I can, certainly in the
    future, to make this happen.

Currently? Currently I am working on getting the software for the second batch
    ready for production. The new phones are to come with an slightly updated
    software stack and will be using the new unified partition scheme (Using fuse
    to emulate external storage)

At the same time I am looking at the technical possibilities of upgrading the
    current phones to the new partition scheme (this is where I hope to get some
    technical input form XDA members).

the xrteamer forum has a nice write-up on the layout changes (I might post the
    link once I have permission to post links on the forum). and their current solution
    (that involves wiping the data). I am currently basing my work on theirs.

One of the biggest (annoying) changes to user is that the phone will no longer
    provide mass storage functionality unless an external SD-card is inserted. This
    has impact on how a proper backup and recovery can be done (backup using mass
    storage and recovery using MTP?). For the typical Fairphone user I estimate
    that this will be to much hassle and we need to find an alternative solution.

I was thinking of perhaps requesting the user to temporarily insert an SD-card
    for the update. But for now I am still simply looking at the upgrade (not the
    backup/restore yet) and this involves changing the partition layout while
    upgrading.

I am not used to using forum's much as I tend to prefer using irc and mailing
    list but I will try to keep you posted and use your minds as much a possible.
    Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package

Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

Hi all,

There are a lot of different questions and issues building up here on XDA for the Fairphone team. Thanks for bearing with us. I've talked with @benkxda so that he can help me collect all relevant issues for the Fairphone tech team and Kwame software developers. Soon, it seems XDA will have Fairphone sub-forums to make this easier for all of us, too.

Also, news for you all: We're still planning the software release of Fairphone OS 1.1 over the air very soon. It was expected around today/tomorrow, but still needs some time.

Best,
    Joe
    FP Community Manager