Sagging sales...really?

Search This thread

Reckoning

Sep 6, 2013
Last edited:

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
No kidding! The Best Buy help weren't aware of it and took forever to find it in "the cage".

MarkLI88

May 3, 2011
I don't know who is to blame LG or Best Buy or both but it does make you scratch you head in wonder how they plan to sell this tablet based on current marketing an store display. Why give Best Buy an exclusive if they don't plan to display it and sell it? They need to get this in more stores out on display. They also need to drop 30-50 off the price here in the states if they want it to sell it needs to be cheaper than the first iPad mini and the Samsung Tab 3 8 regardless of the specs and it being a better product most Americans don't know specs they know brand name and price.

tlxxxsracer

Jul 28, 2010
Knoxville
Ya, BB has this thing in their phone department next to the G2. Like what? :confused:
They need this over with the other tablets, let alone the other 8" tablets. Luckily I knew where to look so i can get a hands on before deciding on a purchase online

MarkLI88

May 3, 2011
The two BB near me do not even have it out in the phone area they have a picture of it in the G2 display but not the actual device.

globiboulga

Mar 19, 2009
It does feel like that what is otherwise a fantastic tablet will again fail to sell properly. Just like the Samsung 7.7 did in its time. You have to wonder...:rolleyes:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
BB has no interest in promoting specific products. If the G Pad fails, it makes no difference to them. They are just as happy selling an iPad or a Samsung Note. LG is the one who loses when this product is a flop. It's up to LG to make sure that retailers sell the product. If they made the product attractive to BB, then BB would sell it. The real problem is that LG has not advertised the product, they've priced it too high, and they haven't provided the right incentives to retailers.

A retailer isn't going to give shelf space or attention to a product that is as poorly marketed as the G Pad. If a lot of people were coming into the store asking for it, BB would pay more attention. It's LG who's keeping the product a secret. BB is just following their lead.

And why are BB and Newegg the only authorized dealers?? Why isn't Amazon, Target, Costco, Sam's Club and Walmart selling this? Where are the magazine and TV ads? The billboards? The point of sale kiosks, etc? LG seems to have no serious interest in this product. Any product that was as poorly marketed as this one would fail in the market.

Reactions: shadymouse

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
At least my local Best Buy has a white one up for display *in the phone section* away from all the other tablets and readers.

weboide

Dec 5, 2011
At least my local Best Buy has a white one up for display *in the phone section* away from all the other tablets and readers.

I got mine on release date. They didn't have any on display and only one left in stock (other than the one that the guy tried to sell me the display unit and then noticed the computer said it was $1000 for it).

clemson77on

Jul 15, 2013
I visited my local Best Buy last night and they still don't have it on display (in tablet or phone area) or in stock. I really don't understand why LG has dropped the ball on this but it seems to be in line with about every other mobile company minus Apple and Samsung. Every display other than the Apple and Samsung displays looked cheap and run down. The Nexus 7 display looked fine, but they have a demo running on all of their models so you can't even get a real feel for how it works. If LG would put a nice display in the tablet area, these things would sell fast. I just hope enough sell to have a decent development community.

loki2828

Oct 22, 2010
LG must not. want to be successful. they had it on display only at. best buy with the mobile phones. No advertising, ovepriced and lackluster support.

Whose poor ideas were this? only. 1 retailer in the US?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Zarrick19

Mar 15, 2011
Košice
Apparently, US sucks :D *JOKE*
Here in Europe you can get your G Pad in 95% of all the electronics shops. Its really strange what's going on in the US...

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
I don't know how well the tablet is selling worldwide but at the biggest electronics store here in Zurich, I think it's doing quite well with the Black version sold out and only a few white versions left. Of course, this could be due to low stock to begin with, I'm not sure. I really hope it does well because I just got mine and it's probably one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever bought.

I'm no stranger to Android (although I haven't spent a great deal of time on the latest hardware such as the HTC One, G2 or Galaxy S4) but I was always a little disappointed by the promise of "buttery smooth performance" from the Jellybean. I have a One X and also another tablet from Pipo running the RK3188 so it's no slouch but both are not what I would call a smooth experience (although my One X became a heck of a lot better after flashing Cyanogenmod). I originally came from iPhones and iPads so I was very disappointed in this regard.

Now with the G Pad, I finally know what "buttery smooth" feels like on an Android. The machine is just incredible with next to no interface lag at all and all the apps zip around without any effort. The Wi-Fi strength is also incredible, picking up my router from distances that my One X, iPad mini or iPhone 4S could never have.

For the sake of LG, I hope it really does well. They deserve it and will hopefully release more products like this in the future.

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
I don't know how well the tablet is selling worldwide but at the biggest electronics store here in Zurich, I think it's doing quite well with the Black version sold out and only a few white versions left. Of course, this could be due to low stock to begin with, I'm not sure. I really hope it does well because I just got mine and it's probably one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever bought.

As you pointed out low stock could mean heavy selling or it could mean low stock. Considering the way it started off in the US, i.e., few retailers and high prices, I'm inclined to think that LG does not have a lot of capacity to manufacture the units. Currently, we're seeing more discounting in the US and few more options for retailers, but it is still not widely sold. Could be that the situation will get better as they produce more units.

AirDiamond

May 31, 2011
Awesome tablet but I just returned mine to BestBuy. I've been burnt before buy buying a killer device that no one else bought. Software updates don't come and accessories don't fit. Very sad that LG made this ridiculous exclusive distribution deal.

moz90

Dec 29, 2010
Southern IL (Not chi Town)
I played with one at best buy in southern il today it was next to the lg g2. I think I'll love this thing it's the perfect size and seems fast. I figure I'll keep for at least a year maybe longer if no one comes out with a better 8 inch tab. Samsung's note screen sucks I also looked at it today.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2(The midrange Note)

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS
I don't know who is to blame LG or Best Buy or both but it does make you scratch you head in wonder how they plan to sell this tablet based on current marketing an store display. Why give Best Buy an exclusive if they don't plan to display it and sell it? They need to get this in more stores out on display. They also need to drop 30-50 off the price here in the states if they want it to sell it needs to be cheaper than the first iPad mini and the Samsung Tab 3 8 regardless of the specs and it being a better product most Americans don't know specs they know brand name and price.
Well Said Mark..
Even though they had no choice but to drop the price, still BestBuy does not even display it. :cool:

BB has no interest in promoting specific products. If the G Pad fails, it makes no difference to them. They are just as happy selling an iPad or a Samsung Note. LG is the one who loses when this product is a flop. It's up to LG to make sure that retailers sell the product. If they made the product attractive to BB, then BB would sell it. The real problem is that LG has not advertised the product, they've priced it too high, and they haven't provided the right incentives to retailers.

A retailer isn't going to give shelf space or attention to a product that is as poorly marketed as the G Pad. If a lot of people were coming into the store asking for it, BB would pay more attention. It's LG who's keeping the product a secret. BB is just following their lead.

And why are BB and Newegg the only authorized dealers?? Why isn't Amazon, Target, Costco, Sam's Club and Walmart selling this? Where are the magazine and TV ads? The billboards? The point of sale kiosks, etc? LG seems to have no serious interest in this product. Any product that was as poorly marketed as this one would fail in the market.
Well Said Woody.
Fast forward to the present and it's still the same.. BestBuy could care less about this Tablet.. a lot of sales reps still don't know about it and it's still to this day not on display..
And that's sad. :cool:

opti1

Mar 6, 2014
I have posted similar thoughts about lack of promotion and availability for this tablet in other forums. It's very strange to have such a product available only at one B&M retailer (BB), and one online store (Newegg), and as a GPE version. With that approach you would think LG would have dumped a bunch of money into promoting the G Pad at BB. I've seen enough complaints in the reviews at Newegg (and elsewhere for units purchased from Newegg) to think they were chosen to handle the returns, refurbished units, and otherwise 'unclean' units.

Having said that, our BB started displaying a black version and a white version G Pad a couple of weeks ago. Last week they price matched Newegg's $280 for the black version for me when they were selling theirs for $350. The sales rep I got knew all about the G Pad and started trying to sell me on it but I already knew everything I needed to know. :D

Now VerizonWireless has started to sell it as well, with LTE. That could be a breakthrough for this tablet, especially with the pricing model they have ($100 with a 2 year contract through tomorrow, $149 after that, and $300 with no contract). Those prices are pretty enticing, I think, especially compared to BB's $350 everyday price for the WiFi only model. It will be interesting to see what happens with this tablet now that VW is in the picture.

Another thought. I've wondered, especially since the GPE came out, if maybe the G Pad is a trial run for a Nexus 8 replacement for the Nexus 7 and maybe a new Nexus 10 as well that a lot of folks are waiting for. Google got a lot of heat for the issues many folks had with the Gen2 Nexus 7 built by ASUS. Maybe they are testing the waters with LG for their next generation Nexus tablets and they and LG aren't necessarily concerned about how much money they make from this one. Just a thought.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have posted similar thoughts about lack of promotion and availability for this tablet in other forums. It's very strange to have such a product available only at one B&M retailer (BB), and one online store (Newegg), and as a GPE version. With that approach you would think LG would have dumped a bunch of money into promoting the G Pad at BB. I've seen enough complaints in the reviews at Newegg (and elsewhere for units purchased from Newegg) to think they were chosen to handle the returns, refurbished units, and otherwise 'unclean' units.

Having said that, our BB started displaying a black version and a white version G Pad a couple of weeks ago. Last week they price matched Newegg's $280 for the black version for me when they were selling theirs for $350. The sales rep I got knew all about the G Pad and started trying to sell me on it but I already knew everything I needed to know. :D

Now VerizonWireless has started to sell it as well, with LTE. That could be a breakthrough for this tablet, especially with the pricing model they have ($100 with a 2 year contract through tomorrow, $149 after that, and $300 with no contract). Those prices are pretty enticing, I think, especially compared to BB's $350 everyday price for the WiFi only model. It will be interesting to see what happens with this tablet now that VW is in the picture.

Another thought. I've wondered, especially since the GPE came out, if maybe the G Pad is a trial run for a Nexus 8 replacement for the Nexus 7 and maybe a new Nexus 10 as well that a lot of folks are waiting for. Google got a lot of heat for the issues many folks had with the Gen2 Nexus 7 built by ASUS. Maybe they are testing the waters with LG for their next generation Nexus tablets and they and LG aren't necessarily concerned about how much money they make from this one. Just a thought.

The g pad was the first tablet that LG has designed in a long time.
    Maybe it was just a warm-up for something to follow like a nexus 8 perhaps.
    LG is absolutely huge, and it wouldn't surprise me if the g pad was never thought of as a tablet that needs to sell, but more as a practice run for something much bigger.

LG knew full well what they were designing.. The G-Pad 8.3 was a Quasi - Competitor for the iPad Mini. :cool:

LG tried to strike a Middle - Ground.. Making a slightly bigger but cheaper tablet compared to the iPad Mini. All well and good, because the Nexus-7 2013 looked puny next to the Mini.. Android needed a solid tablet in the 8" class and the LG G-Pad 8.3 provided just that. And it's still the "Soulmate of the LG G2.. LG hoped that if your family chose the G2 as the phone of choice, it would be almost a given you would grab a companion G-Pad 8.3. :cool:

This really was never intended to be a "Developer's Tablet" we all just *HOPED* it would morph into that for those of us that prefer an 8" tablet to a 7" (Nexus-7) tablet. (Again I must also say a big THANK YOU to the Developer's and Members that have taken their time to port over the ROM's we do have available)

But out in the real world, there are no commercials.. billboards or pushed ads promoting the LG G-Pad 8.3.. LG is certainly not going to spend the funds needed to promote this product.. neither is BestBuy or Newegg. You either know everything about this tablet or you know nothing about it. :cool:

Now that Verizon carries it, it may gain some notoriety.. or it may get shoved behind Samsung and Apple.
    I just went to verizonwireless.com and the first thing you see is Samsung.. then Apple.. then the Nexus-7.. even though the G-Pad is a "New Arrival" it does not even warrant the front page on Verizon.

That pretty much sums it up for the G-Pad 8.3.
    I think you nailed it. Well said.

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app
    LG knew full well what they were designing.. The G-Pad 8.3 was a Quasi - Competitor for the iPad Mini. :cool:

LG tried to strike a Middle - Ground.. Making a slightly bigger but cheaper tablet compared to the iPad Mini. All well and good, because the Nexus-7 2013 looked puny next to the Mini.. Android needed a solid tablet in the 8" class and the LG G-Pad 8.3 provided just that. And it's still the "Soulmate of the LG G2.. LG hoped that if your family chose the G2 as the phone of choice, it would be almost a given you would grab a companion G-Pad 8.3. :cool:

This really was never intended to be a "Developer's Tablet" we all just *HOPED* it would morph into that for those of us that prefer an 8" tablet to a 7" (Nexus-7) tablet. (Again I must also say a big THANK YOU to the Developer's and Members that have taken their time to port over the ROM's we do have available)

But out in the real world, there are no commercials.. billboards or pushed ads promoting the LG G-Pad 8.3.. LG is certainly not going to spend the funds needed to promote this product.. neither is BestBuy or Newegg. You either know everything about this tablet or you know nothing about it. :cool:

Now that Verizon carries it, it may gain some notoriety.. or it may get shoved behind Samsung and Apple.
    I just went to verizonwireless.com and the first thing you see is Samsung.. then Apple.. then the Nexus-7.. even though the G-Pad is a "New Arrival" it does not even warrant the front page on Verizon.

That pretty much sums it up for the G-Pad 8.3.

Totally agree..... my local best buy here where i got it. The associates never even heard of it until they looked for it on the register.... it is lg and best buy to blame. Lg for poor marketing to begin with... and best buy where the associate has no knowledge of they're products... in my opinion regardless of the poor marketing from lg. Best buy "professionals" should know they're product they're selling... but than again nothing new with best buy...