[Q] HTC One strange G-Sensor problem

Search This thread

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
Good afternoon,

I am having the strangest problem with my HTC One: I ride a Buell 1125r (the 'muscle car' of motorcycles) and when I am riding I like to listen to music through headphones. The odd problem is that when accelerating, especially when putting on a large burst of speed, it causes the music player (Google Play Music) to skip to the next song...and the next...and the next...and the next...etc. Something interesting is that if I immediately drop acceleration, sometimes it will stop skipping and play the song it landed on. If I keep going at the speed I achieved (sometimes as low as 50 mph), I can stop at a stoplight and watch the cover art flick by over and over; it doesn't stop skipping for several minutes. I try shaking the device when stationary to see if it is some sort of shake to shuffle, but nothing happens.

WTF...? Please help...tearing hair out...

HTC One UL
Android Revolution HD 30
KitKat 4.4.2

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Good afternoon,

I am having the strangest problem with my HTC One: I ride a Buell 1125r (the 'muscle car' of motorcycles) and when I am riding I like to listen to music through headphones. The odd problem is that when accelerating, especially when putting on a large burst of speed, it causes the music player (Google Play Music) to skip to the next song...and the next...and the next...and the next...etc. Something interesting is that if I immediately drop acceleration, sometimes it will stop skipping and play the song it landed on. If I keep going at the speed I achieved (sometimes as low as 50 mph), I can stop at a stoplight and watch the cover art flick by over and over; it doesn't stop skipping for several minutes. I try shaking the device when stationary to see if it is some sort of shake to shuffle, but nothing happens.

HTC One UL
Android Revolution HD 30
KitKat 4.4.2

That's quite strange indeed. I'll try this too next morning. If I also get the same error, maybe we will be able to fix it. Otherwise you might have to go to the HTC support.
Have you got a rooted One?

Reactions: CryptoCombat

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
S-Off
Rooted

G-Sensor is calibrated and working properly in other apps.

Ok, I just wanted to know that in case of a return.

- Does this error also occure when you accelerate your phone when holding it in your hands? (not the classic shake you mentioned, for example making a circle in the air)

- In what position related to the ground do you have your phone when accelerating?

- How fast do you accelerate? Can you say it in m/s² ? Or you can also say how long you need to accelerate to 50mph or other speeds.

- I quickly want to calculate what acceleration your phone has to bear.

- What would be interesting. When you are on a constant speed of 50mph, do you also have this error after several minutes?

Last edited:

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
Ok, I just wanted to know that in case of a return.

- Does this error also occure when you accelerate your phone when holding it in your hands? (not the classic shake you mentioned, for example making a circle in the air)

- In what position related to the ground do you have your phone when accelerating?

- How fast do you accelerate? Can you say it in m/s² ? Or you can also say how long you need to accelerate to 50mph or other speeds.

- I quickly want to calculate what acceleration your phone has to bear.

- What would be interesting. When you are on a constant speed of 50mph, do you also have this error after several minutes?

- I don't know...I don't make a habit of riding with my phone in hand, much less laying rubber...I did try spinning in a circle and did not get that result. It was fast enough to make my hand tingle and flush.

- In jeans pocket so basically diagonal like a playing card on it's corner.

- 0-60 in 2.8 fastest but occurs at everything down to about 6 sec so about 9.6m/s² to 4.5m/s²?

- cool!

- Yes. Like I mentioned, the skipping continues until the speed is decreased.

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
- I don't know...I don't make a habit of riding with my phone in hand, much less laying rubber...I did try spinning in a circle and did not get that result. It was fast enough to make my hand tingle and flush.

- 0-60 in 2.8 fastest but occurs at everything down to about 6 sec.

- cool!

- ok... even more strange.

- ok... that's a legit position

- the phone is accelerated at maximum with 13.8 m/s² this is about 1.4 times the earth acceleration. Here the calculation that you can see it a bit better:

oonch2v9.jpg

And this acceleration doesn't seem to be too extreme

- Ok... even MORE strange^^ Because if you are on a constant speed the phone doesn't experience acceleration. Some basic physic laws. It's the way it is, to change speed or direction there has to be a force. And if there is a force there is also an acceleration ;) But you know this I think!

So maybe it has to do something with GPS? But this wouldn't explane the fact that it keeps spinning around when you stay still.
If you've got the time to do that, make a backup and make a clean reinstall of your ROM and try it out again.

Reactions: CryptoCombat

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX

- the phone is accelerated at maximum with 13.8 m/s² this is about 1.4 times the earth acceleration. Here the calculation that you can see it a bit better:

<snip>

- Ok... even MORE strange^^ Because if you are on a constant speed the phone doesn't experience acceleration. Some basic physic laws. It's the way it is, to change speed or direction there has to be a force. And if there is a force there is also an acceleration ;) But you know this I think!

So maybe it has to do something with GPS? But this wouldn't explane the fact that it keeps spinning around when you stay still.
If you've got the time to do that, make a backup and make a clean reinstall of your ROM and try it out again.

I can try that, but it did this when I was on stock firmware too. As I mentioned before, the G-Sensor does work properly everywhere else...but it occurred to me that it may be a side effect of a magnetic field generated by the bike instead? That would explain the continued disruption at constant speed. But what would the field be affecting? the G-Sensor? The capacitive touch? Something else?

It should be noted that it has never done this in my car. of course that thing is a little Mazda M3 and doesn't have even half the acceleration as my bike...

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
I can try that, but it did this when I was on stock firmware too. As I mentioned before, the G-Sensor does work properly everywhere else...but it occurred to me that it may be a side effect of a magnetic field generated by the bike instead? That would explain the continued disruption at constant speed. But what would the field be affecting? the G-Sensor? The capacitive touch? Something else?

A magnetic field. Maybe... use a accelometer sensor logger during your next ride on your bike. And send the data to me... or look for some kind of "unexpected behaviour"

And this idea with the magnetic field. You would have to ask at the shop where you bought the bike if it emmits some kind of electromagnetic radiation. But this also shouldn't cause issues.

And because you did already try it on stock. Don't try it again. It most likely won't work.

P.S.
Sry, I won't answer today anymore. GTM +1

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
A magnetic field. Maybe... use a accelometer sensor logger during your next ride on your bike. And send the data to me... or look for some kind of "unexpected behaviour"

And this idea with the magnetic field. You would have to ask at the shop where you bought the bike if it emmits some kind of electromagnetic radiation. But this also shouldn't cause issues.

And because you did already try it on stock. Don't try it again. It most likely won't work.

P.S.
Sry, I won't answer today anymore. GTM +1

Attached logs.

Attachments

• accelerometer.txt
    202.1 KB · Views: 9
  • magnetometer.txt
    162.7 KB · Views: 6

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
I'll analyse over the weekend. this is quite some data. I'll write a short program that reads it out^^

I parsed them into excel using csv format mode. Check out sheet two for a graph. the orange line (labeled sum) is the sum of the x,y and z readings' absolute values. there's some very interesting data in the magnetometer file. anytime I really hammered down on the gas, the magnetic field shot up. Beyond 100 in a spot or two in sum!

Attachments

• accelerometer.xlsx
    259.3 KB · Views: 5
  • magnetometer.xlsx
    208.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
I parsed them into excel using csv format mode. Check out sheet two for a graph. the orange line (labeled sum) is the sum of the x,y and z readings' absolute values. there's some very interesting data in the magnetometer file. anytime I really hammered down on the gas, the magnetic field shot up. Beyond 100 in a spot or two in sum!

ok, I think the accelometer looks ok. but the magnetic field is indeed very strange. Today I tested it too.. but there was no special effect to the magnetic field.
Maybe ask your bike vendor if the bike emmits electromagnetic radiation. If yes, it's totally ok that your magnetometer on your phone mesures this. If not, there might be another reason.
But sorry, I can't give you more informations or ideas. But if I think about something possible I'll notify you.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Sorry, I checked your accelometer graph again. You calculated the sum the wrong way. The actual way to calculate it is:

sum = √(a₁² + a₂² + a₃²)

And with that you get this graph:

qfu2knae.png

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
Interesting update: with no headphones plugged in, the skipping does not occur. I started a playlist through the built in speakers and after a very fast drive it was on track to the second.

I'm guessing the magnetic field generated by the alternator is causing induction feedback in the headphone wires. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Interesting update: with no headphones plugged in, the skipping does not occur. I started a playlist through the built in speakers and after a very fast drive it was on track to the second.

I'm guessing the magnetic field generated by the alternator is causing induction feedback in the headphone wires. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

why didn't you mention or quote me? I would have been able to answer... but I didn't get any notification. Yes.. maybe, because this graph was quite strange. You can make an isolation with another magnetic field that compensates these fluctiations.

vvelvetelvis

Feb 20, 2011
Sacramento
i am so glad i found this post. i just got my one and am having the exact same problem. i even have htc sending me a new pair of headphones. i was going to try using my old s3 headphones but the one wont even recognize them when i plug them in.

i have to say, all your graphs and math is way to much for me. all i know is my phone hates my motorcycle. whats really weird is, i can make it on the streets to the fwy. its once i get on the fwy that things go all skippy.

did you ever find a solution?

CryptoCombat

Oct 17, 2013
Houston, TX
i am so glad i found this post. i just got my one and am having the exact same problem. i even have htc sending me a new pair of headphones. i was going to try using my old s3 headphones but the one wont even recognize them when i plug them in.

i have to say, all your graphs and math is way to much for me. all i know is my phone hates my motorcycle. whats really weird is, i can make it on the streets to the fwy. its once i get on the fwy that things go all skippy.

did you ever find a solution?

I didn't get a notification about this post. Solution is to use almost any other headphones for anyone else having this problem. The Beats buds that shipped with the m7 Beats model have flat wires which as a general rule are much more susceptible to electrostatic interference.

Last edited:

vvelvetelvis

Feb 20, 2011
Sacramento
I didn't get a notification about this post. Solution is to use almost any other headphones for anyone else having this problem. The Beats buds that shipped with the m7 Beats model have flat wires which are much more susceptible to electrostatic interference.

That is kind of what I did. I got a pair of skull candy headphones without the mic. Hard to find a pair without the mic. They still have a flat cable but work great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good afternoon,

HTC One UL
    Android Revolution HD 30
    KitKat 4.4.2

That's quite strange indeed. I'll try this too next morning. If I also get the same error, maybe we will be able to fix it. Otherwise you might have to go to the HTC support.
    Have you got a rooted One?

- 0-60 in 2.8 fastest but occurs at everything down to about 6 sec.

- cool!

oonch2v9.jpg