[GUIDE] Fix Fastboot on Windows 8.1 [Latest fix as of 8/25/14]

Search This thread

kbral03

Aug 5, 2012
Damn it works!

I ****ing love you, after doing all the stuff i found on internet i was almost giving up! Thanks!

kyeato

May 26, 2015
I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1.
- To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
- If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.​
2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.
3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.
4. Go to File > Import > choose Fastboot.reg.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)

Hey I may be doing something wrong but I cannot seem to open up text files in the registry editor. I have the text file saved as Fastboot.reg but it doesn't show up in the import

dr3amsINdigital

Jul 7, 2012
Hey I may be doing something wrong but I cannot seem to open up text files in the registry editor. I have the text file saved as Fastboot.reg but it doesn't show up in the import

You need to change the extension. It should be a .reg file, not a .txt file. Sounds like you're just renaming it but not changing the extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kyeato

May 26, 2015
You need to change the extension. It should be a .reg file, not a .txt file. Sounds like you're just renaming it but not changing the extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah my bad. Windows 8 works differently than i am used to. Anyways i fixed it by copying the text and making an entirely new file, but thank you for your help

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Nick-ZG

Jun 23, 2014
Thank you so much, this worked for me in WIN 10 Pro X64, been trying for ages to get my fastboot working. Than you Thank you Thank you

Just used your regedit file :)

I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
- To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.
3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)

rakeshbro

Aug 28, 2012
Worked for hTc One V as well on Windows 8.1 all latest windows update already installed.:good:

OllieX2

Oct 17, 2010
Reg patch fixed it!

Thanks - the reg patch was all I needed!! :)

On Windows 10, I was running into the same issue - the Android device (an HTC One S) was available to adb in recovery but couldn't be seen by fastboot when in the bootloader (hboot 2.15). In the Windows 10 Device Manager, the device was showing the "USB BOS Descriptor Failed" & "Device Failed Enumeration - Error Code 43" errors, even though the Android and USB hub drivers were installed.

I tried everything to get the device to be recognised by fastboot but, in the end, the registry patch (at the bottom of the first post in this thread) to skip querying the BOS Descriptor fixed it instantly.

Without the patch, it seems that Windows 10, like Windows 8 before it, is unable to use the installed drivers.

There are lots of other threads where people are having the same problem (Google "technet windows-10-android-fastboot-device-failed-enumeration-error-code-43" for an example from the Microsoft website) but all tend to suggest variations on reinstalling drivers.

Thank you!!!

Hurm4

May 31, 2016
Thanks - the reg patch was all I needed!! :)

On Windows 10, I was running into the same issue - the Android device (an HTC One S) was available to adb in recovery but couldn't be seen by fastboot when in the bootloader (hboot 2.15). In the Windows 10 Device Manager, the device was showing the "USB BOS Descriptor Failed" & "Device Failed Enumeration - Error Code 43" errors, even though the Android and USB hub drivers were installed.

I tried everything to get the device to be recognised by fastboot but, in the end, the registry patch (at the bottom of the first post in this thread) to skip querying the BOS Descriptor fixed it instantly.

Without the patch, it seems that Windows 10, like Windows 8 before it, is unable to use the installed drivers.

There are lots of other threads where people are having the same problem (Google "technet windows-10-android-fastboot-device-failed-enumeration-error-code-43" for an example from the Microsoft website) but all tend to suggest variations on reinstalling drivers.

Thank you!!!

I did this on Windows 10 for my HTC One, and it worked at first, then reverted to the original issue. Any tips?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions:

Thanks a ton for this.

Now I know how to fix RUU error 171 on Windows 10x64 easily :D

This is brilliant. Could have found this two years earlier. *Facepalm*

System: Win 10 Redstone (1607) x64 with Intel based USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports.

Steps I took:
    - Sync Manager from HTC Website (current 4.17.0.001 driver)
    - Imported Reg-File from Post #1
    - Reboot

Done!
    For Windows 10, Other devices, and those who are still unsure

If you are still unsure, the registry edit should do the trick even with Windows 10. However, if it is not working, you may have to modify it. It might be because of a different version of the device, or a different handset.

In my case it is because I'm trying to do this on a HTC Legend (don't ask, it's a project) and on Windows 10.

To do this, find your device in device manager. (type devmgmt.msc into "run" or search device manager in start). Right click and select properties. Go to the details tab at the top. Select "Hardware IDs" from the property list. You will see a series of numbers. E.g. VID_0BB4, that matches the "0BB4" in the registry file provided (edit with notepad). Once you have found your device ID, you can add the binary value manually to that usbflag key.

In my case I had to alter the registry file simply to 0BB40FFF0100, which already existed in regedit. Simply add the binary value or edit the registry file and double click it to merge with the registry.

Hope this is useful.
    Works on Windows Technical Preview as well!!:D:D
    Confirmed the regitry fix works on Windows 10 x64 too.