Why the lack of microSD may be a problem.

Search This thread

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
Right now some might be okay with the lack of a microSD slot, because they don't need that much storage, and they much prefer NAND memory, but here's a few things that I would consider to be critically important for a microSD slot:
1. If the phone dies, how are you going to pull files off of it?
2. When doing anything like flashing PD98IMG.zip files like in the Desire HD, how are you going to be able to get rid of/rename the file on the internal NAND if you cannot access the main Android OS?

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
Right now some might be okay with the lack of a microSD slot, because they don't need that much storage, and they much prefer NAND memory, but here's a few things that I would consider to be critically important for a microSD slot:
2. When doing anything like flashing PD98IMG.zip files like in the Desire HD, how are you going to be able to get rid of/rename the file on the internal NAND if you cannot access the main Android OS?

It comes with 25gb dropbox, i believe it has an auto sync, your files will be safe in the cloud.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

charmthief88

Jan 20, 2012
Some insight, it helps

It comes with 25gb dropbox, i believe it has an auto sync, your files will be safe in the cloud.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That may be enough to put it back on near top of my list. Sure the Galaxy S3 is going to be superb, but I am interested in Tegra 3 phones. The mediocre battery plus lack of SD card did lower its place on my list. Good I feel easier about HTC than going LG 4x HD. The Fujitsu F12arc is hard to top though with being waterproof, Tegra 3, 13mp camera. If it makes it beyond prototype and global.

Jobiza

Oct 21, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Galaxy S3 is all about specs, i think. Sense and Htc is far much better on software side, just hope they will release beats and imagechip drivers. ;-) As far as im concerned, hardware doesn't mean much at quadcore phones anymore, more about camera and software. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

fi3ry_icy

Apr 24, 2010
HTC One X
HTC Leo
i think one of the reason one x is not having a micro sd slot is because slow sd cards will affect the camera's instant snap and video +still picture capturing feature.. not to many multishot functions as well..

someone will find a way. rely on xda developers :)

Sent from my beer bottle

gordongartrell

Sep 28, 2010
i think one of the reason one x is not having a micro sd slot is because slow sd cards will affect the camera's instant snap and video +still picture capturing feature.. not to many multishot functions as well..

I have to agree with this point. If the One X had an SD card slot, and someone pops in some old class 1-3 SD Card, into the phone, I can see trouble happening.

w1nter456

Oct 9, 2010
I have to agree with this point. If the One X had an SD card slot, and someone pops in some old class 1-3 SD Card, into the phone, I can see trouble happening.
Ya, honestly be told, my friend has a Galaxy S II, after he boot up his Galaxy S II still need to wait access to SD card and the reason of not having SD card is because the SD card will actually slow down the phone even it is higher classes, also decrease battery life.
So, actually I'm glad that HTC have done a nice job on it.

No_u

Mar 14, 2011
So where am I going to store all my music? The 32GB microSD I have is running out already. This phone is useless for me because of that sole reason..

silverSl!DE

Sep 8, 2008
So how are we meant to to nandroid backups? Won't flashing just erase all internal memory?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using xda premium

nope, as said: virtual sd-partition.
the touch diamond was the same story.
4GB internal Mem. not efected by flashing, hardreset etc. im not sure at this moment, but i have in mind, that you coukd access the int.mem even in the bootloader.
or just flash a stock rom and youre in.

and if your hardware's dead, then you've got other problems:D
but in that case you can replace nearly everything on htc-devices.
on the diamon i replaced a broken display and some speakerstuff successfully.

but the inbuild battery could be a pain in the 4$$: what if the system freezes? bsod or some thing? will there be any reset button like the good old WiMobile phones? i don't think so.

THAT is, what i am afraid of. but i will buy it anyway. it'll be a REALY great device, like the HD2 2,5years ago.:)

Reactions: AllEyezOnMe

DomCowell

Dec 4, 2010
but the inbuild battery could be a pain in the 4$$: what if the system freezes? bsod or some thing? will there be any reset button like the good old WiMobile phones? i don't think so.

THAT is, what i am afraid of. but i will buy it anyway. it'll be a REALY great device, like the HD2 2,5years ago.:)

Yet again, the issue is abolished thanks to the 25gb free dropbox storage!

fi3ry_icy

Apr 24, 2010
HTC One X
HTC Leo
So where am I going to store all my music? The 32GB microSD I have is running out already. This phone is useless for me because of that sole reason..

ur not gonna be able to listen to 32GB worth of music in a single sitting.. heck, 32GB of music will take more than a year.. unless ur a DJ or something, i dun think there is really a need to put your entire music collection on the phone.

secondly, a phone is used for other functions as well.. filling it up with music means less space for downloading email attachment, camera shots and etc..

that said, if u really need to store that much music, i suggest getting a dedicated music device (aka an ipod )..

hope i dun offend anyone for this blunt post.. :D

(ps, in reality, user available space is 26gb if i am correct.. part of the 32gb is locked for htc as system space)

dragonithe

Jun 9, 2010
It will reboot when you hit on/off for 10 secs.this is hardcoded so it'll work anytime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Is it a reboot or does it shut down after 10 seconds?
Because if the phone gets in a bootloop a reboot will not fix the problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

Tillus

Jul 12, 2010
Is it a reboot or does it shut down after 10 seconds?
Because if the phone gets in a bootloop a reboot will not fix the problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

Shutdown probably. I can't recall, where I read it, sorry. But I am certain that htc has this problem covered.
There is already a thread about this: CLICK

Last edited:

Spl4tt

I'm so happy that i don't listen to music with my phone.. xD
go buy some proper music player with an SD Slot for this, and you got a better audioquality too.. (cowon ftw.)

32gb are more than enough for me. and it was clear that the internal memory is emulated as SD Card. so that all apps are able to function.

I don't care about the lack of the SD Card..

more do i care about the non removable battery.......
not because the reset if it freezes (there will be the 4-secs-instant-poweroff i guess) but because the batterylife itself..

i'm used to have a spare battery.. instantly back to 100%..
this will be a big problem for me. i just hope HTC made some BIG improvements in this case, or this phone will be a fail

Jobiza

Oct 21, 2010
OnePlus 8T
I'm so happy that i don't listen to music with my phone.. xD
go buy some proper music player with an SD Slot for this, and you got a better audioquality too.. (cowon ftw.)

32gb are more than enough for me. and it was clear that the internal memory is emulated as SD Card. so that all apps are able to function.

I don't care about the lack of the SD Card..

more do i care about the non removable battery.......
not because the reset if it freezes (there will be the 4-secs-instant-poweroff i guess) but because the batterylife itself..

i'm used to have a spare battery.. instantly back to 100%..
this will be a big problem for me. i just hope HTC made some BIG improvements in this case, or this phone will be a fail

Maybe portable charger?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It will reboot when you hit on/off for 10 secs.this is hardcoded so it'll work anytime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium
    So how are we meant to to nandroid backups? Won't flashing just erase all internal memory?

No if you go look in the development section you can see that the One X has an internal virtual sd partition.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

nope, as said: virtual sd-partition.
    the touch diamond was the same story.
    4GB internal Mem. not efected by flashing, hardreset etc. im not sure at this moment, but i have in mind, that you coukd access the int.mem even in the bootloader.
    or just flash a stock rom and youre in.

and if your hardware's dead, then you've got other problems:D
    but in that case you can replace nearly everything on htc-devices.
    on the diamon i replaced a broken display and some speakerstuff successfully.

People you need to embrace the cloud (and get a data plan that allows you to!) Modern devices are designed to be always connected. When I'm at home or in the office or in the coffee shop I'm connected to a WIFI hotspot. When I'm out and about I'm connected to 3G (I dream of 4G but the UK lags behind in this at the moment!). When I'm very rarely offline (air-plane, tunnel, black-spots)... I'm prepared for it!

Store your Music in Google Music (technically US only but there are ways and means...) and I guess other alternatives. Have access to all your music and stream it to your phone. Know your going to be offline? Know you want to listen to some specific albums? Download those to your device for offline play!

Photo's and Videos! Dropbox, google+, and facebook all allow for automatic uploading saving you the need to do it later. Want them on your PC also well dropbox has a client for PC syncing so I never need to manually do it! Plus all my photos and videos are now automaticly backed up!

Documents / OneNotes! I'm using skydrive purely because I'm a PC fan boy but drop box could be used also. With one note and skydrive you always have access to your notes on the go or from any PC!

Books again store your libary in the cloud and just download / sync the ones you need now or the ones you know you will need when your offline.

Navigation! After being forced to use Windows phone and Nokia Drive you really appreciate Google navigation. Ok no offline navigation but still...