Best flip case for nexus 5

Search This thread

-Cobalt-

Feb 2, 2014
Anker PU Leather Case for Google Nexus 5 Review

That looks really nice. Let me know how you like it. Thanks.

Received it couple days ago; here's my thoughts on it. I'll try to keep it concise.

Feel: According to the box, the leather is actually synthetic and not actual leather. It's a $8 case so expecting leather would be too much of an overkill anyway. I have to say, it feels premium. The grip is tactile and the phone does not slip from hands.

Protection: My biggest peeve is that the leather does not extend beyond the tpu frame. The right side of the case is exposed making the right side the most vulnerable to damage. However, there is a strap that will protect your phone from a drop. That is if your phone drops completely parallel to the floor. Otherwise, it's up to the tpu frame to cushion your Nexus from possible injury. The rest of the phone is enveloped by synthetic leather and should be impregnable to drops and bumps. I have dropped my Nexus from pocket height and no damage was taken.

Functionality: The functionality is superior to the rest of the cases. The open top allows any headphone jack (regardless of size) to be compatible with your phone. Also, if you're watching movies, the stand comes in handy. Beware of the magnet though. The case takes advantage of the hall sensor built into the Nexus. Basically, the hall sensor turns the screen on and off by the detection of a magnet. Often times, my phone turned off unintentionally because my phone got too close to the magnet.

Durability: Over the course of couple days, I noticed some glue coming off. It's not that big of a deal because it's excess glue that won't affect the binding of the case.

Overall, this is a solid choice for only $8. If you're looking for functionality, this is the case to get. Thanks for reading.

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
http://nexus5accessories.com/rock-slim-elegant-flip-covers/

I bought this one (orange) off ebay.co.uk and it is a very good case! Inexpensive too. No magnet however but you get used to it as it fits phone very very good.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

A lot more pictures here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Eleg...Hard-Case-for-Google-LG-Nexus-5-/321292355714

I've pretty much tried them all. You compromise on flips though in my dealings. I have tried the cruzerlites, too thick for me....the elegant rock, nice, but a tad too flimsy and no smart cover and "settled" on the Seidio Ledger flip case. What sold me was the led cut out. There's issues with the soft touch backing scuffing off at the corners, but Seidio will work with you in replacing it if you want.

Yaminashi

Nov 24, 2011
I've pretty much tried them all. You compromise on flips though in my dealings. I have tried the cruzerlites, too thick for me....the elegant rock, nice, but a tad too flimsy and no smart cover and "settled" on the Seidio Ledger flip case. What sold me was the led cut out. There's issues with the soft touch backing scuffing off at the corners, but Seidio will work with you in replacing it if you want.

Have they resolved this issue or is it still present?

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
Have they resolved this issue or is it still present?

I want to say yes for the most part, because the same issue did not occur with the revised Ledger case they sent me. It went though the same usage as my three other ones and this one for the most part came out with flying colors. However, I do see some slight rubbing off on the bottom of the case, which I can deal with and if it becomes very unsightly, I can go back to Seidio and ask for a new one. I still love the case and still use it as my daily driver case. Not too sure what will happen when my replacement air dock charger comes back. The ledger does not work with that, unless the air dock guys remember to ship me my sticker to put on the back of the case to reinforce the magnets. The reason why the air dock doesn't work is because the soft touch is not glossy in any way and the "micro-suction" pad doesn't adhere. Sorry I digress....

I got the ledger and it has a led cutout for the notification. Also has a smart cover and a pocket to put my google wallet card in it...nah not really, but I could:laugh:

-Cobalt-

Feb 2, 2014
Anker PU Leather Case for Google Nexus 5 Follow Up

Thank you very much.

Following up, I don't see myself using this case on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I like this case but I prefer the bulky Ballistic case over the leather case. I did a few drop tests on softer ground to see what kind of arrangement the Anker will land in. In the midst of falling, the flap opens up occasionally, causing the face of the phone to be exposed to the floor. In terms of protection, I would not rate this case highly because of the magnet's incapability of clasping the covers together. If you're sure you won't ever drop your phone, go for it if you prefer leather cases.

For now, I'm sticking with the Ballistic SG Maxx. You never know what might happen.

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
I have the lg flip cover in black OEM from Google. Found it to be the best. I got an extra one too. Will ship anywhere USA pm me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

daLareid

Nov 28, 2012
http://nexus5accessories.com/rock-slim-elegant-flip-covers/

I bought this one (orange) off ebay.co.uk and it is a very good case! Inexpensive too. No magnet however but you get used to it as it fits phone very very good.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

A lot more pictures here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Eleg...Hard-Case-for-Google-LG-Nexus-5-/321292355714

Purchased this a few days ago per your suggestion, I don't mind it not having led cutout since it looks pretty good imo, do you have any actual pics? mine is coming next or the week after.

n1njaG

Mar 6, 2011
Purchased this a few days ago per your suggestion, I don't mind it not having led cutout since it looks pretty good imo, do you have any actual pics? mine is coming next or the week after.

Made a few quick snaps :)

img9225.jpg

img9227.jpg

img9228.jpg

img9229.jpg

img9232.jpg

Reactions: daLareid

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
Made a few quick snaps :)

Can you clarify a point? The title says "clear back". Does that mean the part of the case that covers the back of the nexus 5 is transparent?

What is the rectangular cutout on the orange leather looking cover in your images? What is it for and is it on the front or back of the nexus?

How much protection does this case provide against accidental falls?

My wife has a red back nexus 5. What color case would work best with that?

n1njaG

Mar 6, 2011
Can you clarify a point? The title says "clear back". Does that mean the part of the case that covers the back of the nexus 5 is transparent?

What is the rectangular cutout on the orange leather looking cover in your images? What is it for and is it on the front or back of the nexus?

How much protection does this case provide against accidental falls?

My wife has a red back nexus 5. What color case would work best with that?

Clear back means that it is transparent as it can be seen from the pictures.

I haven't dropped it yet and hope I would not drop it any time soon but I think it offers quite good falling protection.

It is not a cutout but a metal plate with brand logo and it is not on the back (can be seen from the picture).

Black would probably be nice with it.

Top Liked Posts