Viber unlocks screen when message is received

Search This thread

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@Bresch -

But you have an option to disable this feature inside Viber's settings. Have you seen it?

Bresch

May 9, 2012
@Bresch -

But you have an option to disable this feature inside Viber's settings. Have you seen it?
No. You do not. You have the option to disable it when you have popup enabled. Its grayed out if you have popups disabled.
(attaching screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-26-14-28-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-26-14-28-27.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 167

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
We're not sure we fully understand the problem then..
It's optional. It's not forcing you to do anything, nor is it forcing you to have your screen lit up ;)

Many of our users find this feature very useful (and they actually complained in past versions, when they had to manually unlock the screen), and so we added an optional feature.

Bresch

May 9, 2012
We're not sure we fully understand the problem then..
It's optional. It's not forcing you to do anything, nor is it forcing you to have your screen lit up ;)

Many of our users find this feature very useful (and they actually complained in past versions, when they had to manually unlock the screen), and so we added an optional feature.
That is the problem. It's supposed to be optional but it is not. There's no option to disable the screen unlock.

Also I'd love to see those complaints..

That is the problem. It's supposed to be optional but it is not. There's no option to disable the screen unlock.

Also I'd love to see those complaints..

If you check the option just above it, the pop up thing doesn't get to be grayed out anymore. The problem there is that whether the option for unlock is checked or not, screen lights up when there is a message received via viber. Used to not happen before

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bresch

May 9, 2012
If you check the option just above it, the pop up thing doesn't get to be grayed out anymore. The problem there is that whether the option for unlock is checked or not, screen lights up when there is a message received via viber. Used to not happen before

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Even like this it still unlocks.

Edit: just to clarify; any setting I use, it still unlocks the screen when I get a message and yes its on the newest update and I've tried to reinstall and clear cache.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-28-00-17-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-28-00-17-14.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Even like this it still unlocks.

Edit: just to clarify; any setting I use, it still unlocks the screen when I get a message and yes its on the newest update and I've tried to reinstall and clear cache.

Thanks for the clarification.
Hmmm... there might be a problem specifically on your phone.

We kindly ask that you take a minute and report the details of the problem to our support team using this direct link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0 (when you submit the ticket, please make sure to add the URL of our conversation). With this information, our development team will hopefully be able to find the source of the problem, and ultimately resolve it.

Thanks in advance :)

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
We're looking into this issue at the moment.
As we explained, the more reports we receive from you with the problem's specific details (using the direct link we provided above) - the sooner we will hopefully be able to get to the bottom of the issue.

Thank you in advance, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

EDIT:
Also, we would highly appreciate if, in addition to opening those tickets in the direct links I provided, you would specify right here which devices you are using, what version of Android, and whether or not you are using a Custom ROM. Thank you again!

Last edited:

ramiro.f

Dec 8, 2011
Any update on this problem?

I get the same issue. It's not that the phone unlocks, but the screen wakes up every time I get a notification from Viber. Those that the phone actually unlocks, what's your unlock setting? I think that might impact whether the phone unlocks or just wakes up (I have a pattern unlock)

Anyway this is very annoying because if you wake the screen it can still occasionally do things like take photos of the inside of my pocket. On Android, a notification should make a noise and vibrate, but the screen should remain OFF.

I'm on a Nexus 4 stock ROM.

Last edited:
Any update on this problem?

I get the same issue. It's not that the phone unlocks, but the screen wakes up every time I get a notification from Viber. Those that the phone actually unlocks, what's your unlock setting? I think that might impact whether the phone unlocks or just wakes up (I have a pattern unlock)

Anyway this is very annoying because if you wake the screen it can still occasionally do things like take photos of the inside of my pocket. On Android, a notification should make a noise and vibrate, but the screen should remain OFF.

I'm on a Nexus 4 stock ROM.

I highly doubt they're even considering to fix it. 5 months already and there is no update for that issue. Don't even bother sending a report thru the website. You simply get a scripted response specially if the cs you get is 'Michael G'. That guy doesn't even read complaints. He'll ask you to do stuff you've already mentioned you did in the email.

Flowed and Tapped from my Nexus

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
This isn't true.
This issue has been brought up in team meetings that I personally took part in, and we plan to attend to this issue in future versions.

You are right - technologically, it is not an impossible task to implement the fix you mentioned into our app. However, please bear in mind that we have many other goals and features to add or optimize, and so some objectives of ours are unfortunately getting delayed a bit.
Aside from that, we also have other projects running in our company, like Viber on whole new platforms, for example.

All of the above doesn't mean we neglect our users' requests and complaints. Adding the fix you mentioned is certainly on our list of development, and we hope to include it in our upcoming update.

* Also, we believe that the fact that we are taking the time to be here on XDA, personally responding to our users, shows that we don't simply throw our user's feedback and reports to the garbage. No? ;)

I'll bite. Part of the settings of the program is that exact feature. Whether checked or unchecked it won't matter because it gives the same result. Nice to hear you're trying to implement new features but perhaps it's time you guys focus on the current issue prior to implementing future features and leave the rest of the current bugs hanging. Oh and it is nice to see that you are answering in xda because had the members here kept silent, your cs team takes months to reply.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
Well, as we said - we have parallel projects, and some times even bug fixes are slightly delayed (as long as they are not critical, of course) in order for plans to be on schedule. We assume that you know how it is in the technological world ;)

We will hopefully attend to fixing this issue in our future versions. We can't say if it's the next, upcoming small update, but we'll try our best to include it in our next major update.

We're glad to be here on XDA and to assist users directly. This is in fact our greatest benefit - receiving feedback from caring users like you. So thank you! :)

m.a.z.a.f.a.k.a

Feb 10, 2013
I have this damn problem with both Nexus4 and Galaxy Nexus I9250 and it costs me real money!

I uninstalled it after i lost some money when stupid viber activated phone's screen in my pocket and it accidentally, without my knowledge, dialed international numbers which were stored in call history. By the way it's another idiotic problem when viber adds its "free" calls at international numbers to android's dial history :crying:
Any thoughts how to remove viber's integration into android's call log?

Last edited:

ramiro.f

Dec 8, 2011
Well, as we said - we have parallel projects, and some times even bug fixes are slightly delayed (as long as they are not critical, of course) in order for plans to be on schedule. We assume that you know how it is in the technological world ;)

We will hopefully attend to fixing this issue in our future versions. We can't say if it's the next, upcoming small update, but we'll try our best to include it in our next major update.

We're glad to be here on XDA and to assist users directly. This is in fact our greatest benefit - receiving feedback from caring users like you. So thank you! :)

Hi team,

Thanks for the feedback, and happy to know you are working on it.

However, I disagree with the importance you are placing on it. It may look like a small issue to you but it's actually much more critical than you might realise, touch screen smartphone unlocking in our pockets can cause all sorts of problems. Although mine isn't actually unlocking (probably because I have an unlock pattern) it seems the issue is the same.

Viber breaks all sorts of Android user interface guidelines, and still looks like a cheap iPhone port, I can live with that. But this behaviour by the app actually has consequences and I get annoyed every single time I receive a message on Viber, which is not a good user reaction :) as mentioned by other people, it actually costs them money, and I'm dreading the day Viber makes me butt dial the emergency number.

Please fix soon!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: thephantom

Viber Team

Feb 2, 2011
@m.a.z.a.f.a.k.a -

Viber lights up the screen but does not unlock it. We're not sure we understand how Viber caused your phone to dial (specifically) international numbers.
Please see Viber's settings, and make sure the "Unlock my screen..." option is turned off. This option should work just fine (even in Nexus 4), and has nothing to do with the lighting up of the screen.

@ramiro.f -

Thank you for expressing your thoughts. We're indeed looking into this issue, and we hope to include a fix in our next major update. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience :/

IncCo.

Jun 3, 2012
@m.a.z.a.f.a.k.a -

Viber lights up the screen but does not unlock it. We're not sure we understand how Viber caused your phone to dial (specifically) international numbers.
Please see Viber's settings, and make sure the "Unlock my screen..." option is turned off. This option should work just fine (even in Nexus 4), and has nothing to do with the lighting up of the screen.

@ramiro.f -

Thank you for expressing your thoughts. We're indeed looking into this issue, and we hope to include a fix in our next major update. We apologize for the temporary inconvenience :/

So there is No way to make it stop turning my screen on on every single message i get ? It's incredibly annoying.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stop it. Just stop it.

We'd like to note the difference:

Even at the moment, Viber does unlock the screen upon an incoming message or call (unless the user chooses to do that - it's optional).
    What it currently does is that it lights up the screen. As we explained, we added an option to disable this in our upcoming Viber 4.0.

We ask for just a bit more patience, and we apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Very few people here are mistaking the difference. The issue is you have promised a fix to for months now and failed to deliver. And please stop trying to make your customer interaction seem anything above minimum simply because you post comments in a thread addressing issues with your product twice a month. It's borderline insulting.
    and we got almost october and the problem is still here...

Not months ?

weird... seems more than months..
    Hi,

We are excited and proud to announce that we have just released a major new update to our mobile application: Viber 4.0!

What's new in the new version?

- New option for disabling/enabling the screen's lighting up upon incoming messages.
    - Choose from over 1,000 stickers in the brand new Sticker Market. The Sticker Market features endless possibilities for brightening up your conversations. Download themed sticker packages and enjoy the party!
    - Push-to-talk voice messaging. Send messages instantly with the new push-to-talk feature that streams your voice message as you record it.
    - (Android only) Supported tablet compatibility. Viber is now fully compatible with your tablet device(s). Enjoy quality conversations, wherever is most comfortable for you!
    - Group capacity increased to 100 members. Whether you want to share with your nearest and dearest or just send a message to a large group of people, Viber groups let you get in touch with even more people, all in one place.
    - Beautiful conversation backgrounds in the new background gallery. Choose elegant backgrounds to decorate your conversations from our new collection, designed by our very own Viber artists.
    - Forward messages to your groups. Sharing is caring. The popular feature for contacts is now also available for all groups!

As usual, we will be right here to receive your thoughts and feedback. If anyone encounters any problems or would like to share their experiences from our new update, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team.
    Hey, everyone. I sort of reached the fed up point today.

I'm using Viber more and more because I feel WhatsApp bait-and-switched on me from when they said years back "completely free", yes, they said this, and now they want me to pay. I don't mind buying apps, I buy a ton of them, but holding me "messaging hostage" with a bait and switch leaves the most sour taste in my mouth of principles. But now, I deal more and more with my screen being on, when my phone's in my pocket, just sitting on the desk, wherever. This MUST stop.

More and more of my friends are on Line now. It seems to have a business model that allows for free calls, doesn't have simple text messages blocked in half the countries I visit (Viber, fix port blocking, at a minimum, move text to a different port, it isn't that hard), and doesn't turn my damn screen on when I don't want it.

So, Viber, there you have it, even with a free model, you can still lose customers to MONTHS of having not fixed a problem (yes, PROBLEM) that no other messaging app seems to have. Your users will leave, they will move, I've done it once, "we're" all doing it "again" constantly.