Nexus 10 vs Note 10.1 (Poll and Opinions)

Nexus 10 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1?

• Nexus 10

Votes: 151 68.3%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Votes: 70 31.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread
Dec 27, 2012
First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1. When the Note gets a SAMOLED I'm getting one. Until then the N10 is the better machine. Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.

No stylus, just the things that I described in the first post. Thanks.

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
Thanks, from my knowledge, the Nexus 10 has two pull down menus from the top, is this correct? And what is each one? Also, Does any one know if there is a rom/mod that enables the old layout? Thanks, again.

Left is notifications, right is quick settings. There are roms that enable the old layout, I believe AOPK is one of them. If you want something a little more stock, you could also try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2078315

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1.

The Note's display is brighter and with better contrast. Watching video at 720P content looks better on the Note because it's displayed in its native resolution. At 1080P the Note's playing below its native resolution while the N10's still upscaling. And no content exists in the N10's native resolution of 2560 x 1600 so everything needs to be upscaled. Here's an interesting article on the value of super high definition displays on mobile devices. On text and computer generated content like the UI, the N10 runs circles around the Note. Everything else, not so much for the reasons given. And at 15" away the human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI so anything above that just taxes the processor and chews up battery needlessly.

When it comes to 1080p on a smartphone, he admits that it might not matter for the most casual users. "For some people, it is possible to tell the difference if we were to sit down and study a [1080p] display and a [720p] display, side-by-side," he said in a phone interview with Ars. "If you’re really a fanatic and you study images, or you have some professional applications and you’re really into displays, then it may make a visual difference for you."

For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. "Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel," Dr. Soneira explained in a follow-up e-mail. "The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display." Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. "For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference," adds Dr. Soneira.

Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text. "Only computer-generated images make full use of the pixel resolution of the display," says Dr. Soneira. "For graphics and text, maybe you want that kind of sharpness." Like desktop computers, smartphone displays can also utilize sub-pixel rendering, which helps improve the visual sharpness of computer-generated graphics.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/1080p-on-a-smartphone-screencan-it-possibly-matter/

8195655878_5d0d86c71a.jpg

Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.

Loaded with apps the N10 and Note perform about the same. Any additional power Exynos 5 has is consumed by pushing the enormous amount of pixels the N10 has. And based on comments in the N10 and Note forum’s, the Note’s built better. Samsung makes $200 and $700 devices. To say they are both the same because their “Samsung” doesn’t account for the component and assembly differences. The Note’s dual speakers are 1/3 larger than the N10’s for example.

To say that the difference between the Note and N10 comes down to a pen isn’t really a fair assessment. Other than multi-user I can’t think of a single feature the N10 has that’s unique or that’s not included in the Note. Whereas as vice versa the list is pretty long.

- Multiview (enhanced in JB)
- Pop up play
- S-Pen/S-Note
- AllShare Play and Cast
- Enhanced camera features (smile/face/blink detection, buddy shot)
- Mini apps (enhanced in JB)
- Enhanced audio and video codec support
- IR port
- Browser h/w acceleration
- S-Voice (added in JB)
- Air View (added in JB)
- Group Cast (added in JB)
- Quick Commands
- Voice control of apps and screen unlock

Video Air View – Preview videos without opening them. View future/past scenes in a playing video via the timeline without stopping it.

Photo Air View – Pictures contained in folders will display in thumbnails when you hover over the folder. They advance nine at a time.

E-Mail Air View – Hover the pen over a heading or contents of an e-mail summary (including via the widget) to see an exploded view of the contents without opening it.

S-Planner Air View – Hover the pen over an event or task to see an exploded view without opening it.

Pop Up Note – Tap the screen twice with the S-Pen button depressed and a pop up note will be displayed. Even on the lock screen when the device is locked. On the N8000, if you’re in a call and remove the S-Pen from its holder, a pop up note automatically opens.

Easy Clip – Capture anything on the display (lasso) anywhere and save it to the clipboard or send it an application (including S-Note).

Draw/Write on an e-mail – As it says.

Draw/Write in S-Planner – As it says (Month View only)

Color Picker – In S-Note, set the ink color to a color selected from a picture.

Pen Switch – Select multiple pen types (color, texture, weight) and toggle through them without opening the menu by pressing the button on the S-Pen once.

Sketch Affect – Change any picture to an outline, color sketch, pencil sketch and more from within S-Note.

Share S-Notes – Convert S-Notes to plain text, PDFs, or pictures and share them via Facebook etc. in one step.

Photo Note – Write personal notes on the back of photos

Gallery Organizer – Create folders and drag and drop pictures between them.​

While all that stuff’s great, I’ll say this. For people that are only looking for consumption it makes no sense to pay more for the Note and its lower PPI display. In fact, to get the most out of it, there’s a learning curve to the Note. And all those features just add complexity and get in the way for people that don’t intend to use them. But, for productivity users and content creators, there’s nothing that can match the Note no matter how much third party crap users or the devs try to ladle on top of other devices. I'm a productivity user and would only get rid of my Note for a Note with a FHD display (and I'd prefer 1920x1200). In fact, because of the above features, I dumped my Teg3 One X and got a N2 so I could have them on my phone too.

Everyone uses their devices differently so their is no single answer to "what's best?" I recommend the N10 to more people than I recommend the Note primarily because it's a better pure consumption device and cheaper too. I also recommend iStuff to my friends who think technology is nothing but a means to an end and like to have their content spoon fed to them. Different strokes. ;)

P.S. - All the Note's features were cut and pasted from this 35 page thread in the Note forum. Those deciding between the two devices might find some interesting info there including comments from people who have owned both.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952512&highlight=n10

edirector

Feb 9, 2011
I would go for the nexus 10. Better screen, better support, fast updates, and no stupid Samsung UI. Oh and the nexus has one of the newest exynos processors.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

I have them both and actually like the polish of TouchWiz better than the stock "phone-like" Jellybean interface. I have had to tweak the heck out of it to not make it look like that. As far as updates, I agree, every time Google pushes something out Nexus will get it first. That can be good and bad. Some people have been complaining about problems after an update. Problems they did not have before it. But who stays on stock anyway? Some of the bugs on Nexus 10 need to be worked out. It is however a good tablet. I don't get people complaining about the build quality, people put it in cases most of the time to protect the device, so who really handles it bare bones?

The Note 10 is excellent. I used to experience carpel tunnel when designing. Not anymore, and the pen is as smooth as butter. There is a difference drawing on glass more so than paper, a slickness. Got used to that the first week. The work I pump out on Note 10 tablet is nothing short of incredible. No more of the pop and click wear and tear on my wrists and arms I get from working long hours on my desktop & laptop computer. What I don't like is spending my weekends transferring a week's work to a TB external hard drive. I do not put original work in a cloud (someone else's remote server) under a TOA or TOS. If Samsung could update Note 10 accepting large storage devices, it would be the perfect tablet.

Hard to choose, so get them both if you can.

Reactions: RandomAwesomeGuy

hoss_n2

I have them both and actually like the polish of TouchWiz better than the stock "phone-like" Jellybean interface. I have had to tweak the heck out of it to not make it look like that. As far as updates, I agree, every time Google pushes something out Nexus will get it first. That can be good and bad. Some people have been complaining about problems after an update. Problems they did not have before it. But who stays on stock anyway? Some of the bugs on Nexus 10 need to be worked out. It is however a good tablet. I don't get people complaining about the build quality, people put it in cases most of the time to protect the device, so who really handles it bare bones?

The Note 10 is excellent. I used to experience carpel tunnel when designing. Not anymore, and the pen is as smooth as butter. There is a difference drawing on glass more so than paper, a slickness. Got used to that the first week. The work I pump out on Note 10 tablet is nothing short of incredible. No more of the pop and click wear and tear on my wrists and arms I get from working long hours on my desktop & laptop computer. What I don't like is spending my weekends transferring a week's work to a TB external hard drive. I do not put original work in a cloud (someone else's remote server) under a TOA or TOS. If Samsung could update Note 10 accepting large storage devices, it would be the perfect tablet.

Hard to choose, so get them both if you can.

You can get 64 gb sd card and put it in the note :) or 128 gb when avaliable (note support XHC sd cards) , it is something that the nexus 10 cant do also or you can connect your external hard drive to this http://www.amazon.com/GrayBean-Sams...1358007261&sr=8-6&keywords=galaxy+tab+usb+otg it is working fine or buy a cheaper one if your hard drive is self powerd by an external source

Last edited:
Reactions: Arun01

consti83

Mar 20, 2012
Got them both right here!

Nexus is way better - the screen is awesome!!

Note 10.1 will be returned

consti83

Mar 20, 2012
I hate such a floating replies that tend to be lies , give reasons , proves or any thing, you are not helping here

What do you want to hear - everbody knows the details so everything left are the subjective opinions...

here is your proof:

w w w . pic-upload.de/view-17692911/IMAG0451.jpg.html

Last edited:

toanau

Jul 30, 2011
I know this is between the N10 and Note 10.1. Honesty I have these two tablet. But the best tablet out there right now is the Asus TF300. It has the best bang for your buck. You can probably get the tablet and the keyboard for around $300. With the keyboard you get an extra 10 Hours. you can use the tablet with the keyboard for school. With custom ROM and over clocking you can get almost the get same performance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I hate such a floating replies

The biggest discussion point for newer devices like the N10 and now the DNA/Butterfly are their awesome displays. The thing people lose sight of (no pun intended) is that the human eye is only capable of processing and resolving images at a certain level. Any detail beyond that level is literally wasted. The 20/20 human eye has a maximum visual acuity of 1 arcminute. That is, two points must subtend an angle greater than 1 arcminute in order for a 20/20 eye to resolve the two points. What this means for displays is that pixels must have an angular subtense of 1 arcminute or greater in order for your eye to resolve the detail in the content. Detail above 1 arcminute isn't perceived by the human eye any differently whether a display has 267 PPI or 441 PPI. This is the reason Apple landed on the resolution they did hence the name "retina display." For example, the N2 has an arcminute subtense 1.073 arcminutes which is nearly perfect and it has a PPI of 267. The DNA has an acrminute subtense of .66 and PPI of 441 which is a waste because anything below "1" can't be resolved by the human eye.

So super high definition displays are more a marketing gimmick, draw more CPU power, and drain the battery faster with the end result being your eyes won't notice any difference. I don't know what the exact numbers are for the Note and N10 but at 147 PPI the Note's above 1 arcminute and at 299 PPI the N10's below it. So you'll notice a difference on text and CGI (but not images and video) but it's not as pronounced as some people here have said unless they have super-human vision. And with the new fixation on resolution things like brightness, contrast, and color accuracy get swept under the rug because all people are focusing on is a PPI count rather than the actual quality of the display. In those areas the Note’s display outperforms the N10’s. And the 1080P display on the DNA isn’t as good in those areas as the 720P display on the One X it's supposedly better than. Remember that when you're salivating over a 441 PPI 1080P smartphone that’s going to be hyped to death this year.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I know this is between the N10 and Note 10.1. Honesty I have these two tablet. But the best tablet out there right now is the Asus TF300. It has the best bang for your buck. You can probably get the tablet and the keyboard for around $300. With the keyboard you get an extra 10 Hours. you can use the tablet with the keyboard for school. With custom ROM and over clocking you can get almost the get same performance

Asus tablets are based on a fifteen month old SoC and year old design and have a host of component issues that make them horrible performers. Do a search on "Asus IO issues." Friends don't let friends buy Asus tablets.

Reactions: Arun01 and hoss_n2

Arun01

Feb 6, 2011
I was trying to decide between a nexus 10 & note 10.1 too but the lack of a sd slot & no way to hook up & utilize external hard drives was a no brainer for me to get the note 10.1.:rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Dec 27, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. I posted this thread link in the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 general section. My decision is going to be based on the helpful and persuasive posts, the outcome of the poll, and my opinion too :). Also, more opinions are welcomed in this thread :).Thanks.

PS: Those who posted helpful posts and didn't get a thanks, will get one tomorrow because I am only allowed 8 thanks a day.

Last edited:

GETCASHMONEY

Jun 4, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. I posted this thread link in the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 general section. My decision is going to be based on the helpful and persuasive posts, the outcome of the poll, and my opinion too :). Also, more opinions are welcomed in this thread :).Thanks.

PS: Those who posted helpful posts and didn't get a thanks, will get one tomorrow because I am only allowed 8 thanks a day.

OK, I have owned both the n10 and the note. Heard the bad reviews of the note so never considered it. Picked up the n10 at launch, really liked it especially the screen, but battery life wasn't great and after a few weeks I felt like I wasted money because it couldn't do as much as even my phone could.

Anyways, one day I was at sams club, and decided to play with the tablets. Picked up the note thinking, let's see how crappy this really is. I was surprised how quick it was, quicker than my n10 (especially while scrolling). Then I pulled out the pen and started trying out different features. I was floored. Called my wife, told her I was selling the n10. Bought a note the next day, and been in love with it since. Its probably changed my life as much as my first smartphone, due to the amazing productivity features like multi window. In all honesty its better than my nice Samsung laptop in almost every way, I only use that when I absolutely have to.

Trust me, the screen is still great as others have said. Text doesn't look as good, but still fine. That is such a small part of the tablet experience to me that I don't care. The better speakers are awesome, as is the excellent screen contrast. You may not think you will use the s pen, but I use it almost all the time, even if I'm not taking notes.

One final thing. While you wont get updates as quickly, know that samsung does an amazing job adding their own unique features when catching up. They usually call it the premium suite. Many of these upgrades actually include significant features not even found in new android os versions. Keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

ReggieTee

Jul 25, 2010
McKinney, TX
I currently have the Note 10.1 and i've been considering returning it for the Nexus 10 as they are in stock at a couple Walmarts near me. The features that the Samsung has put in the Note 10.1 far more outweighs the higher resolution display, stock android, and timely updates from Google. Today was the day I was supposed to go pick up a N10 for the weekend to test it out. After turning on Allshare on my laptop upstairs being able to stream content from it on my Note 10.1 downstairs, I don't know how I could give that feature up. I also like the SD card slot. I'm not interested in buying more external peripheries like an OTG cable to add more storage. I had a Nexus 7 and returned it for the Note. As quiet as its kept, the display on the 10.1 isn't all that bad. Is it as good as retina display or the N10s display? Not at all. However, when streaming Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube, Hulu etc., does it matter? No since the picture will be as good as your connection.

I never really was interested in the 10.1 since I had the N7, however, my wife wanted one after seeing the commecials. Christmas came and I bought her one and she loves it (coming from a Kindle Fire). After Sam's Club allowed me to return my N7, I decided to try the Note also. It has really grown on me after missing my N7 the first couple days. Another plus, accessories are readily available. I know it's been out a few months but I've been able to purchase official cases and docks. I've been visiting this forum and other N10 forums trying to convince myself that the N10 is better and I'd enjoy it more, but I can't say that.

Last edited:

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Had both the N10 and GN10.1 but ended up returning the N10 and keeping the GN10.1. Everything that matters is better on the GN10.1.

lKBZl

Mar 23, 2012
Barcelona
Nexus 10 16GB is $444 with shipping & tax, Nexus 10 32GB is $553 with shipping and tax.

I got mine on a "deal" from staples because I had a $10 off coupon and shipping was free. After tax it was still $533. Google charges tax to every state in USA as far as I know, except the states without a sales tax. New Hampshire?

As for apps crashing... HDhomerun 2 crashes constantly, chrome has completely locked up my device, and other apps just randomly force close. I've only had the device for 2 days and its running completely stock. I know that over time things will crash less so i'm not complaining a whole lot. But its quite annoying.
Well, im from Spain, and the tablet itself was 399€, 11€ shipping, for the 16gb one, so total 410€... not even close to 450-500€.

asdfuogh

Jun 22, 2011
It really all depends on what you need. The Note is more expensive while lacking a higher-res screen, but its packing a wacom stylus and better brightness/contrast apparently. I personally have the Note, and I had the original Asus Transformer before that, and honestly, the difference between a wacom stylus and a crappy capacitive stylus is way big. I can actually use my Note to take notes in class (I could post up samples if anyone wants), and the resolution is something that really doesn't matter to me because it's unnoticeable unless I put my face right to the display. Of course, I got my Note for around $380 so it wasn't at all hard to decide because it wasn't even losing in price at that point..

Reactions: BarryH_GEG

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
But he's not you. So what you find "better" might not be important to him. app development seems to be his main concern.

That's the part that gets lost in these types of comparisons. People have different expectations and use their devices for different things. These are the main categories typically reviewed:

1. Design
  2. Build quality and components
  3. Display
  4. Peformance
  5. Hardware features and expansion
  6. Software features and functionality
  7. Battery life
  8. Available accessories
  9. Price/value

No two people have the same expecations or priorities in all those areas and some of them are subjective. No single device ever nails every category so folks wanting comparison advice (or that are offering their opinion) need to be more specific about what their needs are to get (or provide) meaningful input from strangers. Otherwise comparison threads always end up turning in to "my device can beat up your device" rants.

dejahboi

May 11, 2007
Porterville
I personally was on the same boat choosing between the 2 a few months ago. At the time I took my gf to BBuy and fell in love the note 10.1. So I got her one for our anniversary. I had n7 and of course I wanted the n10. But what one me over is the 10.1 sd slot, speakers, the speed esp. with jb 4.1.1 coming from 4.0.4. made this tablet amazing, mutli-view/window, and as for screen quality, it doesnt bother me.I can sit and watch movies all day. I cant really judge the quality of the case since both our tablets are in a case, but it did feel nice in my hands when it wasnt lol.

App development wise id suspect the n10 to havd the most support opposed the 10.1, but overall both are great devices. I just prefer the 10.1 since I use it more than my neglected laptop lol.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no stupid Samsung UI.

The "pure Google" thing is getting funny. What could possibly be better about having less features rather than more? Back in the days of 512K of RAM when SoCs were slow and overlays crude, poor performance drove people to AOSP/AOKP and de-bloated custom ROMs. That's not really the case anymore. The h/w is now more capable than the UI and apps running on it.

I played with a friend’s N10 over the holidays and, feature wise, it was a barren wasteland compared to the Note. The phone UI on a 10" tablet is bizarre. Similarly he was amazed at what the Note could do that his N10 couldn't. The N10 has a faster SoC than the Note but when you factor in the PPI it's pushing and that memory bandwidth is hard-partitioned to support the display it's certainly not any faster. And with app incompatibility because of the resolution some apps behave poorly or don’t work at all.

The Note has IO accessories available to match the N10's ports, takes up to a 64GB exFAT SD card for expansion, has an IR port, larger speakers than the N10, and gets significantly better battery life and charges 1/3 faster. It also doesn't have light bleed. ;) Without question the N10 will get updates ten times faster than the Note. But so what, it'll still do 1/3 of the things the Note can do right now. It'll just be Google's barren OS with updates. I've disabled Google Now because I don't use any of their native apps that it depends on to harvest data and for some reason it thinks I work at a McDonalds because I stop at one frequently. As a value-priced consumption device with a great display the N10's a solid choice. For people interested in creating and managing content the Note's a better choice. Its 147PPI display is fine for pics and videos and doesn't require upscaling like the N10's display does. It's obviously not as good for text and computer generated content like the UI and that's a compromise you have to make to get the additional features. So for people looking for something beyond consumption I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Note. It's already sold 5MM units and I'd be surprised based on its limited distribution if the N10's sold 1MM.

OP, if the things in this video mean anything to you consider the Note. If all you care about is consumption and the display the N10's a better choice.

Got them both right here!

Nexus is way better - the screen is awesome!!

Note 10.1 will be returned

I hate such a floating replies that tend to be lies , give reasons , proves or any thing, you are not helping here
    First thing you'll notice is the screen on the N10 is miles better than the Note 10.1.

The Note's display is brighter and with better contrast. Watching video at 720P content looks better on the Note because it's displayed in its native resolution. At 1080P the Note's playing below its native resolution while the N10's still upscaling. And no content exists in the N10's native resolution of 2560 x 1600 so everything needs to be upscaled. Here's an interesting article on the value of super high definition displays on mobile devices. On text and computer generated content like the UI, the N10 runs circles around the Note. Everything else, not so much for the reasons given. And at 15" away the human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI so anything above that just taxes the processor and chews up battery needlessly.

When it comes to 1080p on a smartphone, he admits that it might not matter for the most casual users. "For some people, it is possible to tell the difference if we were to sit down and study a [1080p] display and a [720p] display, side-by-side," he said in a phone interview with Ars. "If you’re really a fanatic and you study images, or you have some professional applications and you’re really into displays, then it may make a visual difference for you."

For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. "Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel," Dr. Soneira explained in a follow-up e-mail. "The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display." Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. "For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference," adds Dr. Soneira.

Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text. "Only computer-generated images make full use of the pixel resolution of the display," says Dr. Soneira. "For graphics and text, maybe you want that kind of sharpness." Like desktop computers, smartphone displays can also utilize sub-pixel rendering, which helps improve the visual sharpness of computer-generated graphics.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/1080p-on-a-smartphone-screencan-it-possibly-matter/

8195655878_5d0d86c71a.jpg

Plus the faster CPU, and they're both Samsung, why would anybody choose a Note 10.1 instead? Only the stylus. So make that your pivot question. Do you need a stylus or not.

Loaded with apps the N10 and Note perform about the same. Any additional power Exynos 5 has is consumed by pushing the enormous amount of pixels the N10 has. And based on comments in the N10 and Note forum’s, the Note’s built better. Samsung makes $200 and $700 devices. To say they are both the same because their “Samsung” doesn’t account for the component and assembly differences. The Note’s dual speakers are 1/3 larger than the N10’s for example.

To say that the difference between the Note and N10 comes down to a pen isn’t really a fair assessment. Other than multi-user I can’t think of a single feature the N10 has that’s unique or that’s not included in the Note. Whereas as vice versa the list is pretty long.

- Multiview (enhanced in JB)
    - Pop up play
    - S-Pen/S-Note
    - AllShare Play and Cast
    - Enhanced camera features (smile/face/blink detection, buddy shot)
    - Mini apps (enhanced in JB)
    - Enhanced audio and video codec support
    - IR port
    - Browser h/w acceleration
    - S-Voice (added in JB)
    - Air View (added in JB)
    - Group Cast (added in JB)
    - Quick Commands
    - Voice control of apps and screen unlock

Video Air View – Preview videos without opening them. View future/past scenes in a playing video via the timeline without stopping it.

Photo Air View – Pictures contained in folders will display in thumbnails when you hover over the folder. They advance nine at a time.

E-Mail Air View – Hover the pen over a heading or contents of an e-mail summary (including via the widget) to see an exploded view of the contents without opening it.

S-Planner Air View – Hover the pen over an event or task to see an exploded view without opening it.

Pop Up Note – Tap the screen twice with the S-Pen button depressed and a pop up note will be displayed. Even on the lock screen when the device is locked. On the N8000, if you’re in a call and remove the S-Pen from its holder, a pop up note automatically opens.

Easy Clip – Capture anything on the display (lasso) anywhere and save it to the clipboard or send it an application (including S-Note).

Draw/Write on an e-mail – As it says.

Draw/Write in S-Planner – As it says (Month View only)

Color Picker – In S-Note, set the ink color to a color selected from a picture.

Pen Switch – Select multiple pen types (color, texture, weight) and toggle through them without opening the menu by pressing the button on the S-Pen once.

Sketch Affect – Change any picture to an outline, color sketch, pencil sketch and more from within S-Note.

Share S-Notes – Convert S-Notes to plain text, PDFs, or pictures and share them via Facebook etc. in one step.

Photo Note – Write personal notes on the back of photos

Gallery Organizer – Create folders and drag and drop pictures between them.​

While all that stuff’s great, I’ll say this. For people that are only looking for consumption it makes no sense to pay more for the Note and its lower PPI display. In fact, to get the most out of it, there’s a learning curve to the Note. And all those features just add complexity and get in the way for people that don’t intend to use them. But, for productivity users and content creators, there’s nothing that can match the Note no matter how much third party crap users or the devs try to ladle on top of other devices. I'm a productivity user and would only get rid of my Note for a Note with a FHD display (and I'd prefer 1920x1200). In fact, because of the above features, I dumped my Teg3 One X and got a N2 so I could have them on my phone too.

Everyone uses their devices differently so their is no single answer to "what's best?" I recommend the N10 to more people than I recommend the Note primarily because it's a better pure consumption device and cheaper too. I also recommend iStuff to my friends who think technology is nothing but a means to an end and like to have their content spoon fed to them. Different strokes. ;)

P.S. - All the Note's features were cut and pasted from this 35 page thread in the Note forum. Those deciding between the two devices might find some interesting info there including comments from people who have owned both.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1952512&highlight=n10
    All right, I also wanted to point out that the Note 10.1 is a production device.. so let's look at some of the possible results.

http://imgur.com/a/6gRyH

So, the notes are made on LectureNotes, and the drawing is from LectureNotes then modified a bit with Photoshop on the Note. I'm pretty sure my note taking has gotten better as LectureNotes has been updated, but I don't want to reveal too much of my stuff so I usually keep to this set that I made like a month or two ago.

OK, I have owned both the n10 and the note. Heard the bad reviews of the note so never considered it. Picked up the n10 at launch, really liked it especially the screen, but battery life wasn't great and after a few weeks I felt like I wasted money because it couldn't do as much as even my phone could.

Anyways, one day I was at sams club, and decided to play with the tablets. Picked up the note thinking, let's see how crappy this really is. I was surprised how quick it was, quicker than my n10 (especially while scrolling). Then I pulled out the pen and started trying out different features. I was floored. Called my wife, told her I was selling the n10. Bought a note the next day, and been in love with it since. Its probably changed my life as much as my first smartphone, due to the amazing productivity features like multi window. In all honesty its better than my nice Samsung laptop in almost every way, I only use that when I absolutely have to.

Trust me, the screen is still great as others have said. Text doesn't look as good, but still fine. That is such a small part of the tablet experience to me that I don't care. The better speakers are awesome, as is the excellent screen contrast. You may not think you will use the s pen, but I use it almost all the time, even if I'm not taking notes.

One final thing. While you wont get updates as quickly, know that samsung does an amazing job adding their own unique features when catching up. They usually call it the premium suite. Many of these upgrades actually include significant features not even found in new android os versions. Keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app