Nook fails boot into recovery ...

Search This thread

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
My Nook HD plus will no longer boot into recovery.
An error message that an install failed and to contact Barnes & Nobel tech support.

I have CyanogenMod version 10.1.3-ovation and would like to upgrade to 10.2 ovation (Jelly Bean).

I tried TWRP Manager but itdoes not work either.

My Nook will boot up normally and I can use the Cyanogen version rather than the stock Nook OS.

How can I fix my Nook?

Thanks

Carl

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
An error message that an install failed and to contact Barnes & Nobel tech support.

I have CyanogenMod version 10.1.3-ovation and would like to upgrade to 10.2 ovation (Jelly Bean).

My Nook will boot up normally and I can use the Cyanogen version rather than the stock Nook OS.

How can I fix my Nook?

Thanks

Carl
The problem is you did not install CWM to your internal memory. That installed failed message is from stock recovery which is still installed. Go to the dummies guide and install CWM to internal memory.

This comment assumes you installed CM to internal memory replacing stock. If you installed to an SD and stock was left intact, then the answer does not apply.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: cwmoser

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
The problem is you did not install CWM to your internal memory. That installed failed message is from stock recovery which is still installed. Go to the dummies guide and install CWM to internal memory.

This comment assumes you installed CM to internal memory replacing stock. If you installed to an SD and stock was left intact, then the answer does not apply.

Been so long since I did this, I forgot the details.
In addition, my Micro SD card is corrupted with me messing with it.

Can I install CM to internal memory without an SD card?

Carl

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
I borked my 32gb micro SD card.
I can format it but when I write data
On it, the contents is scrambled.

Seems like it needs a low level format.
Any fixes or do I need a new SD card?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006

How are you formatting? You should be using SDFormatter free on the web.

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
I originally used Win32DiskImager on my 32GB MicroSD card and it transformed into a 4GB card.
But, it did allow me to root my Nook and install JB.

Later I learned about SDFormatter and through some manipulation got it back to 32GB and allowed
me to downgrade from JB to ICS. At the time JB was nightly and I had some problems with it.

But, now the microSD card is acting flaky and I've delt with "lost semaphores", "read only", and "unsupported device"
messages.

If there is no program to restore the SD card to its original state, perhaps I just need to go out and purchase another one.

Carl

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
I originally used Win32DiskImager on my 32GB MicroSD card and it transformed into a 4GB card.

Later I learned about SDFormatter and through some manipulation got it back to 32GB and allowed
me to downgrade from JB to ICS. At the time JB was nightly and I had some problems with it.

But, now the microSD card is acting flaky and I've delt with "lost semaphores", "read only", and "unsupported device"
messages.

If there is no program to restore the SD card to its original state, perhaps I just need to go out and purchase another one.

Carl

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
If this doesn't work the card is dead. When you put the image on with Win32DiskImager it was supposed to make the card look like a 4gb that is normal.

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
For the record, I figured out how to fix my 32GB MicroSD card.
I had trouble with it not working with thiese type issues:
- read only
- SDFormatter failed several times
- when I did get SDFormatter to work and then put the boot files on the SD Card, the filenames were scrambled.
- "lost semaphone" error
- "unsupported card type"
- etc.

What I think I did that fixed my SD card:
- used a different adaptor for the Micro SD card - I started with an SD adaptor, then got it working with a USB adaptor
- CHKDSK /F on Windows PC reboot
- Run SDFormatter → Option → FORMAT TYPE → FULL (Erase) (took 3 hours until completed)
- Ran MiniTool Partition to set the partition Active to make it bootable
- Now I have a 32GB MicroSD card that will boot my Nook HD plus

The reason I wanted to upgrade from CM 10.1 (ICS Icream Sandwich) to CM 10.2 (Jelly Bean) was that
when I started using my HDTV adaptor to display Netflix on my TV using the HDMI cable, the screen
would pause quite a bit on the TV during the video, but continue to play on the Nook.
Upgrading to CM 10.2 Jelly Bean fix this screen pause issue.

Carl

Last edited:

cwmoser

Sep 26, 2013
Just a point of clarification, CM10.1 and CM10.2 are both Jelly Bean, just different versions. Stock is ICS.

Hey thanks. I'm still a nube with all the version of CM and Cyanogen.
I've done some Java programming using the SDK on my Android phone
but never spent enough time learning all the intricacies - too many other distractions.

Thanks for your help and clarifying things for me.

BTW, what is "emmc"? I see it in ZIP filenames.\

Carl

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
BTW, what is "emmc"? I see it in ZIP filenames.\

Carl
EMMC means Embedded Multi-Media Card. It is the internal chip that comes built into the device where all of the operating and data files are stored. It is identical to an SD but is embedded into the device. The term gets loosely thrown around as applied to anything that is internal storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How can I fix my Nook?

Thanks

Carl

Been so long since I did this, I forgot the details.
    In addition, my Micro SD card is corrupted with me messing with it.

Can I install CM to internal memory without an SD card?

Carl
    No.

How are you formatting? You should be using SDFormatter free on the web.

messages.

Carl

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
    If this doesn't work the card is dead. When you put the image on with Win32DiskImager it was supposed to make the card look like a 4gb that is normal.
    The reason I wanted to upgrade from CM 10.1 (ICS Icream Sandwich) to CM 10.2 (Jelly Bean) ....
    Just a point of clarification, CM10.1 and CM10.2 are both Jelly Bean, just different versions. Stock is ICS.