[MOD] Stock bootanimation for Chromecast

Search This thread

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Hi,
if you use a custom ROM on your Chromecast and for some reason want to get back the stock boot animation, this mod is for you.

This mod just replaces the boot animation on your Chromecast, everything else remains unchanged, it won't reactivate the Google OTA updates or anything else.

Install instructions:
Note: this is basically the same as if you were installing Eureka-ROM, nothing game-changing here.
  1. Install and setup Flashcast (at least version 1.1.1) on a USB flash drive. You can use the Flashcast drive you created earlier when installing Eureka-ROM or similar.
    Note: you have to boot your Chromecast from the Flashcast drive first, just like they say in the Flashcast tutorial, in order to be able to continue with those steps.
  2. Download the file attached below, rename it to "eureka_image.zip" and copy it to the Flashcast drive.
  3. Plug the Flashcast drive to your Chromecast, press and hold the button on the device, and plug in the power. Hold the button until the Flashcast screen appears.
  4. Wait and let Flashcast install the mod. This could take a few minutes, so don't panic. Your Chromecast will reboot itself when done.
  5. Done. Enjoy.

Big thanks to Team Eureka for their Eureka-ROM, whose installation zip and script I used when creating this mod.
Another big thanks goes to tchebb for creating Flashcast.
And another thanks to Google for creating Chromecast, and the boot animation used in this mod.

PS: the file attached to this post works on the build 14975, which is version 1.1 of the Eureka-ROM. See post #5 for an updated version for Eureka-ROM 2.0. Big thanks to mathorv for updating the mod, he beat me to it. If he's okay with it, I'll add it here for the convenience.

Attachments

• eureka_stock_bootanimation.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,038
Last edited:
Reactions: bhiga and mathorv

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011
Flashing process is slow so people please don't panic if takes few minutes.
Mod is tiny - one new line in .sh script and just stock images and its works like advertised.

Last edited:
Reactions: frantisek.nesveda

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Flashing process is slow so people please dont panick if takes few minutes.
Mod is tiny - one new line in .sh script, and just stock images and its works like advertised.
Yeah, it is quite slow, I'm not really sure why. In Flashcast log there is nothing strange which would explain it. I'll try to add some more debug logs with some timestamps to find out.
I guess I'll add the info about this slowness to the OP. Thanks for the notice.
(And actually, there is nothing really new in the .sh script, I just deleted some unneeded lines and added a comment. No hard work for which I could be proud. :()

tchebb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 28, 2010
tchebb.me
Yeah, it is quite slow, I'm not really sure why. In Flashcast log there is nothing strange which would explain it. I'll try to add some more debug logs with some timestamps to find out.
(And actually, there is nothing really new in the .sh script, I just deleted some unneeded lines and added a comment. No hard work for which I could be proud. :()

The slowness is due to the filesystem the Chromecast uses for /system, squashfs. It's a read-only, compressed, filesystem, which is great for saving space but not so great when you want to modify it. What FlashCast has to do is extract the filesystem into RAM, make the modifications, then repack and re-compress it. The last step is what takes the time, since the Chromecast's processor isn't all that fast. We hope to migrate to a more suitable filesystem in future versions of Eureka-ROM, which will eliminate slow flashing altogether; we still have a few issues to work out, though, so I doubt it will be in the next release.

Reactions: mathorv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    if you use a custom ROM on your Chromecast and for some reason want to get back the stock boot animation, this mod is for you.

This mod just replaces the boot animation on your Chromecast, everything else remains unchanged, it won't reactivate the Google OTA updates or anything else.

Install instructions:
    Note: this is basically the same as if you were installing Eureka-ROM, nothing game-changing here.
    1. Install and setup Flashcast (at least version 1.1.1) on a USB flash drive. You can use the Flashcast drive you created earlier when installing Eureka-ROM or similar.
      Note: you have to boot your Chromecast from the Flashcast drive first, just like they say in the Flashcast tutorial, in order to be able to continue with those steps.
    2. Download the file attached below, rename it to "eureka_image.zip" and copy it to the Flashcast drive.
    3. Plug the Flashcast drive to your Chromecast, press and hold the button on the device, and plug in the power. Hold the button until the Flashcast screen appears.
    4. Wait and let Flashcast install the mod. This could take a few minutes, so don't panic. Your Chromecast will reboot itself when done.
    5. Done. Enjoy.

Big thanks to Team Eureka for their Eureka-ROM, whose installation zip and script I used when creating this mod.
    Another big thanks goes to tchebb for creating Flashcast.
    And another thanks to Google for creating Chromecast, and the boot animation used in this mod.

PS: the file attached to this post works on the build 14975, which is version 1.1 of the Eureka-ROM. See post #5 for an updated version for Eureka-ROM 2.0. Big thanks to mathorv for updating the mod, he beat me to it. If he's okay with it, I'll add it here for the convenience.
    eureka_stock_bootanimation_15250.001

Updated script for Eureka-ROM 2.0 - 15250.001
    Flashing process is slow so people please don't panic if takes few minutes.
    Mod is tiny - one new line in .sh script and just stock images and its works like advertised.

The slowness is due to the filesystem the Chromecast uses for /system, squashfs. It's a read-only, compressed, filesystem, which is great for saving space but not so great when you want to modify it. What FlashCast has to do is extract the filesystem into RAM, make the modifications, then repack and re-compress it. The last step is what takes the time, since the Chromecast's processor isn't all that fast. We hope to migrate to a more suitable filesystem in future versions of Eureka-ROM, which will eliminate slow flashing altogether; we still have a few issues to work out, though, so I doubt it will be in the next release.