Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Notes!

Votes: 15 10.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Biofall

Mar 17, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
This thread that I've revamped from my Evo 4G days, hoping to share some of the love with newer users. Over the time I've been on android, I've learned a few simple things that can greatly assist in the battery life of our wonderful smartphones.

If you read the thread and like the tips, have a new one to suggest, or have a revision, please post it.
On a similar note, moderators, thanks for the sticky! ;)

General Lithium Ion Battery Information
^^This link includes stuff about charging, including trickle charging aka SBC (Why NOT to use it, or at your own peril)

My tips for good battery life:

Tips for Non-Rooted users

1. Turn off all radios when not in use.
(gps, Bluetooth, wifi, data, 4g) Use a widget like the default HTC power widget, Switchpro, or a similar app from the market. The 3D's updated Sense 3.0 allows users to access these radios and other settings from the notification pulldown menu, , under the "Quick Settings" tab. The radios of the phone draw power if on even if the user isn't actually utilizing the radio's functions. A radio searching for signal (if you are in a low-signal area) drains more than a radio with good signal, so again, turn 'em off when you aren't using 'em.
To manually turn off radios without a toggle, go to menu>settings>wireless & networks.
Wifi uses less battery than 3G, so use wifi when you can.

2. Juice Defender is one of my favorite apps. Basically it controls your data for you to maximize life.
More explanations are on their page, search it on the market for free, or upgrade for more features.
Here are my settings for it: Click me
Note that for me at least, juice defender likes to deny apps data privileges whether you allow them or not, so screen on = data on works best for me.

3. I love live wallpapers, and I’ve always been a fan of pixel zombies, but they are really only good for showing off due to their battery drain.

4. Go to menu<settings<wireless & networks<mobile networks<disable always on mobile data.
To clarify, "Always On Mobile Data", when turned off, lets the 3G modem go to sleep after the screen has been off for 5 minutes. It doesn't interfere with anything like email or any other application that requires an internet connection at that moment because it turns on on-demand rather than being on all the time and wasting battery.

5. Set your screen timeout to something that fits you.
This will prevent your phone from staying on when you don’t manually turn off the screen. Also with this, manually turn off your screen when you’re done with your phone.
Menu>Settings>Display>Screen Timeout
I use 30 seconds.

6. Task killers used to be the shiz, but no longer.
Here is the ultimate, in depth, graphically assisted, explanation by the famous Fresh ROM's chef, Flipz. Shortly, in light of recent testing, really don’t do anything but force apps that the android OS needed to be open, and thus didn’t close, to re-open. So try not using them, unless for stuff like trying to figure out why your phone isn’t sleeping with system panel. You really won’t notice a performance difference, and the adverse effects you aren’t seeing will stop :p

+=+ A good alternative is the application SystemPanel Pro. It has a free version, but I highly reccomend purchasing the paid app. It basically monitors everything going on with your phone's usage both in real time an in terms of usage history. If your battery is draiging fast, it tells you what app was doing it, how much it was doing it, and allows you to stop it.

7. I'm sure you have all heard around that your phone isn't "sleeping".
This is referring to the phone's "awake" time, hence the name. When you go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery, you can compare the two numbers, "up time" vs. "awake time." Generally, up time refers to the amount of time since the last reboot. The "awake time" is how long the screen has been active. The problem is, a lot of the time, due to the endless possibilities of inconsistencies between apps/ROMs/kernels/phones, the phone will not go to "sleep", drawing power proportionate to the screen being in use when it reality the phone is sitting idle.
If you compare these numbers, and they are the same, or if you note the difference, turn off the screen for a minute, then re-check and they are the same, then your phone is not sleeping.
One solution is to reboot.
Usually, SystemPanel will show an app that has gone "rouge" and is keeping your phone awake.
-This is done by hitting menu>settings>monitoring enabled. Then after some time has passed, ht menu>monitoring>history>change tab to top apps, and see if anything is above, say, 2-4%.

Uninstall applications/reinstalling them slowly, checking after every install to see what is causing it is one tedious but surefire solution.
Lastly,
Follow these steps that I have discovered almost always work.
1. Reboot phone.
2. Instantly upon reboot, as soon as you gain control, open up some type of monitor/taskkiller
3. "kill all" tasks on startup; about 5 times in quick succession should do the trick.
4. Turn off the screen and leave it for about five minutes.
5. Check the up time v. awake time and see if they are the same.
6. If they are, repeat steps 1-5. If they are different, you are good.

8. Our good friend sn0b0ard noticed that the 3D's battery contacts *could* be problematic.
Here's a link to his thread, but basically he explains how the leads to the battery can be kind of loose, which potentially can cause random reboots (if the contacts separate) and/or slow charging. The fix is simple: slide some paper or a piece of a rubber band between the battery and the wall opposite the leads. Toss him a thanks if it helps you out :p

9. Apps and Combinations to watch out for!
-Facebook for HTC Sense- Tries to sync live feed all the time, HIGHLY recommend unchecking this box, as it creates a massive draw on data
-Skype- This app reportedly (I've seen it myself) likes to sync random data and open up the network for fun. Sign out of app when not in use to fix

Root Tips LIVE :)
Tips for Rooted users:

1. Try out custom kernels.
By going to the EVO 3D Android Development section of the forums, you can see all of the different kernels being developed. These allow for all kinds of modifications like underclocking the CPU and undervolting, both of which save battery. To see how to use them, read the FAQ's in each thread's OPs.
Here is a great guide to custom kernel's by mroneeyedboh.

2. Use SetCPU in compliance with whatever your custom kernel allows.
This site will explain the basics of SetCPU: http://www.setcpu.com/
-Profiles from SetCPU should usually involve these for battery life optimization:
-Screen off at the minimum clock speed for both, with the max raised on level if sluggishness is apparent
-A temperature greater than “X”
-General power related profiles that lower cpu speed at lower battery levels
-Here are my SetCPU profiles: 1 , 2 , 3
-My profiles change a lot as time goes by, because different kernel creators recommend different settings. I suggest reading up on whatever kernel you are using to gather settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES:

*Some apps or processes begin to run at startup and keep the phone awake. These apps are not detected by things like spare parts or system panel, unless sometimes represented in the "system" process, in which case its usage will be unusually high.
This shouldn't take more than three repeats, and if it does, you need to factory reset, and slowly add apps back to see what's causing the problem.

___--- When it comes to actually "calibrating" one's battery, there are a couple of methods floating around. The method I first learned is to charge the phone all the way, boot into recovery immediately, and "wipe battery stats". Then reboot quickly, and run your phone all the way to death without charging it, then charge it all the way without interrupting it, and you should be good to go. Do this when changing ROMs/kernels for best results.

----When it comes to people claiming 20 plus hours of moderate/heavy use out of their current setup or other ridiculous absurdities, consider my position: No matter what you do, the Evo battery is the Evo battery. You can tweak it and customize it with kernels, ROMs, and settings, but none of that will turn it into a car battery. The main problem (besides a false sense of pride) that leads to these reports is the misunderstanding of what the usage levels are, so here’s my best summary:

* *Light usage – Phone screen actually on for maybe 0-2 hours. Things like a few texts, some emails, 20 minutes web browsing, etc.
* *Moderate usage – You watched a few youtube videos or similar apps, sustained web browsing, hundreds of texts, some games. Hours range from about 2-5 of screen on
* *Heavy usage – LOTS of video watching and games, 3D pics or video, or some high def gaming/movie watching for at least an hour to an hour and a half in total, with lots of emails and texts, browsing, and other app shenanigans. 5+ hours

*I’m sure everyone doesn’t agree with all these numbers, but this is most likely a good average of what powerusers think. All specific hourage may vary due to differences in phones, batteries, ROMs, and kernels… Which also means that most battery comparisons are pointless; it’s only what you can improve on that counts!

I’ll update this whenever I see good stuff, people remind me, or I remember/come across things I do.

Hope it helps everybody!

Hit the "THANKS" button if I help you!

Vote for Your Favorite Tip
After a few weeks, I'll re-order the tips by popular vote of helpfulness.

Last edited:

CAxVIPER

Jun 21, 2011
Nice list of thing you got here. I haven't had to many issues with my battery life yet but I will try these and see if I can get it past the 16 hours.

Reactions: blackmanxp

eviltwin24

Oct 13, 2009
Long Beach
I too am having wakelock . Updated prl but it remained the same don't know what else to do

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

eviltwin24

Oct 13, 2009
Long Beach
No I'm charging with the HTC charger. Let me try updating the phone maybe that will fix it.

bigupurself7

Mar 29, 2010
No I'm charging with the HTC charger. Let me try updating the phone maybe that will fix it.

You need to update, I know everyone is scared about not getting root, but without the update you will have battery issues. Keep fighting on HTC facebook page, we will get the unlock soon enough

eviltwin24

Oct 13, 2009
Long Beach
You need to update, I know everyone is scared about not getting root, but without the update you will have battery issues. Keep fighting on HTC facebook page, we will get the unlock soon enough

Yea I updated and phone is sleeping now. I can live without root for a couple.weeks and i have a spear evo to keep my flashing addiction satisfied till this gets root :)

Nsandhu23

Dec 11, 2010
Great tips. I always do.most of them except Juice Defender. Other than that thanks for an informative thread.

Sent from my 3vo

Biofall

Mar 17, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
So basically the tip to good battery life is to essentially turn your smartphone into a dumbphone and pretty much cripple it?!

The tips are all optional. If you can't live without live wallpapers, then by all means, use them. However, many users don't know about radios, etc. Very few people need bluetooth, 4G, and wifi all at the same time while the screen is off. I believe that part of having a smartphone is the luxury of being able to make informed decisions about the functions of your device to find your own individual perfect balance between performance and battery life.

Sent from my Shooter using XDA Premium App

Reactions: ejmjs

Biofall

Mar 17, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'd like to bump this thread. For future reference, if you see the thread and liked the tips, have a new one to suggest, or had a revision, please post it. This will ensure that the thread remains visible for those who need it, as I'm sure the moderators will not sticky it.

On a similar note, moderators, please sticky this! ;)

parousia15

Mar 4, 2010
I'm seeking more clarification about the mobile data always on.

So if I turn that feature off, and after five minutes the radio to into sleep mode, and someone sends me an email (gmail push), then I will receive that email?

PlayPetepp

Dec 19, 2010
Osijek
Xiaomi Mi 11
So basically the tip to good battery life is to essentially turn your smartphone into a dumbphone and pretty much cripple it?!

Not necessarily. You can still make a call or two, maybe write a few smses but basicly don't use your phone and it will have amazing battery life. :D
I don't have 3d just yet but I'm guessing with that big of a battery (1730mAh) it should easily go through at least 10-15h with moderate to heavy usage.

Biofall

Mar 17, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Not necessarily. You can still make a call or two, maybe write a few smses but basicly don't use your phone and it will have amazing battery life. :D
I don't have 3d just yet but I'm guessing with that big of a battery (1730mAh) it should easily go through at least 10-15h with moderate to heavy usage.

Then you would guess wrong. It's not that great without lots of tinkering. :eek:

Biofall

Mar 17, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
How do I use system panel to detect "rogue" apps? I've looked but can't seem to find it

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

I'll update the OP. Turn on monitoring. This is done by hitting menu>settings>monitoring enabled. Then after some time has passed, ht menu>monitoring>history>change tab to top apps, and see if anything is above, say, 2-4%.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread that I've revamped from my Evo 4G days, hoping to share some of the love with newer users. Over the time I've been on android, I've learned a few simple things that can greatly assist in the battery life of our wonderful smartphones.

If you read the thread and like the tips, have a new one to suggest, or have a revision, please post it.
    On a similar note, moderators, thanks for the sticky! ;)

General Lithium Ion Battery Information
    ^^This link includes stuff about charging, including trickle charging aka SBC (Why NOT to use it, or at your own peril)

My tips for good battery life:

Tips for Non-Rooted users

1. Turn off all radios when not in use.
    (gps, Bluetooth, wifi, data, 4g) Use a widget like the default HTC power widget, Switchpro, or a similar app from the market. The 3D's updated Sense 3.0 allows users to access these radios and other settings from the notification pulldown menu, , under the "Quick Settings" tab. The radios of the phone draw power if on even if the user isn't actually utilizing the radio's functions. A radio searching for signal (if you are in a low-signal area) drains more than a radio with good signal, so again, turn 'em off when you aren't using 'em.
    To manually turn off radios without a toggle, go to menu>settings>wireless & networks.
    Wifi uses less battery than 3G, so use wifi when you can.

2. Juice Defender is one of my favorite apps. Basically it controls your data for you to maximize life.
    More explanations are on their page, search it on the market for free, or upgrade for more features.
    Here are my settings for it: Click me
    Note that for me at least, juice defender likes to deny apps data privileges whether you allow them or not, so screen on = data on works best for me.

3. I love live wallpapers, and I’ve always been a fan of pixel zombies, but they are really only good for showing off due to their battery drain.

4. Go to menu<settings<wireless & networks<mobile networks<disable always on mobile data.
    To clarify, "Always On Mobile Data", when turned off, lets the 3G modem go to sleep after the screen has been off for 5 minutes. It doesn't interfere with anything like email or any other application that requires an internet connection at that moment because it turns on on-demand rather than being on all the time and wasting battery.

5. Set your screen timeout to something that fits you.
    This will prevent your phone from staying on when you don’t manually turn off the screen. Also with this, manually turn off your screen when you’re done with your phone.
    Menu>Settings>Display>Screen Timeout
    I use 30 seconds.

6. Task killers used to be the shiz, but no longer.
    Here is the ultimate, in depth, graphically assisted, explanation by the famous Fresh ROM's chef, Flipz. Shortly, in light of recent testing, really don’t do anything but force apps that the android OS needed to be open, and thus didn’t close, to re-open. So try not using them, unless for stuff like trying to figure out why your phone isn’t sleeping with system panel. You really won’t notice a performance difference, and the adverse effects you aren’t seeing will stop :p

+=+ A good alternative is the application SystemPanel Pro. It has a free version, but I highly reccomend purchasing the paid app. It basically monitors everything going on with your phone's usage both in real time an in terms of usage history. If your battery is draiging fast, it tells you what app was doing it, how much it was doing it, and allows you to stop it.

7. I'm sure you have all heard around that your phone isn't "sleeping".
    This is referring to the phone's "awake" time, hence the name. When you go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery, you can compare the two numbers, "up time" vs. "awake time." Generally, up time refers to the amount of time since the last reboot. The "awake time" is how long the screen has been active. The problem is, a lot of the time, due to the endless possibilities of inconsistencies between apps/ROMs/kernels/phones, the phone will not go to "sleep", drawing power proportionate to the screen being in use when it reality the phone is sitting idle.
    If you compare these numbers, and they are the same, or if you note the difference, turn off the screen for a minute, then re-check and they are the same, then your phone is not sleeping.
    One solution is to reboot.
    Usually, SystemPanel will show an app that has gone "rouge" and is keeping your phone awake.
    -This is done by hitting menu>settings>monitoring enabled. Then after some time has passed, ht menu>monitoring>history>change tab to top apps, and see if anything is above, say, 2-4%.

Uninstall applications/reinstalling them slowly, checking after every install to see what is causing it is one tedious but surefire solution.
    Lastly,
    Follow these steps that I have discovered almost always work.
    1. Reboot phone.
    2. Instantly upon reboot, as soon as you gain control, open up some type of monitor/taskkiller
    3. "kill all" tasks on startup; about 5 times in quick succession should do the trick.
    4. Turn off the screen and leave it for about five minutes.
    5. Check the up time v. awake time and see if they are the same.
    6. If they are, repeat steps 1-5. If they are different, you are good.

8. Our good friend sn0b0ard noticed that the 3D's battery contacts *could* be problematic.
    Here's a link to his thread, but basically he explains how the leads to the battery can be kind of loose, which potentially can cause random reboots (if the contacts separate) and/or slow charging. The fix is simple: slide some paper or a piece of a rubber band between the battery and the wall opposite the leads. Toss him a thanks if it helps you out :p

9. Apps and Combinations to watch out for!
    -Facebook for HTC Sense- Tries to sync live feed all the time, HIGHLY recommend unchecking this box, as it creates a massive draw on data
    -Skype- This app reportedly (I've seen it myself) likes to sync random data and open up the network for fun. Sign out of app when not in use to fix

Root Tips LIVE :)
    Tips for Rooted users:

1. Try out custom kernels.
    By going to the EVO 3D Android Development section of the forums, you can see all of the different kernels being developed. These allow for all kinds of modifications like underclocking the CPU and undervolting, both of which save battery. To see how to use them, read the FAQ's in each thread's OPs.
    Here is a great guide to custom kernel's by mroneeyedboh.

2. Use SetCPU in compliance with whatever your custom kernel allows.
    This site will explain the basics of SetCPU: http://www.setcpu.com/
    -Profiles from SetCPU should usually involve these for battery life optimization:
    -Screen off at the minimum clock speed for both, with the max raised on level if sluggishness is apparent
    -A temperature greater than “X”
    -General power related profiles that lower cpu speed at lower battery levels
    -Here are my SetCPU profiles: 1 , 2 , 3
    -My profiles change a lot as time goes by, because different kernel creators recommend different settings. I suggest reading up on whatever kernel you are using to gather settings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES:

*Some apps or processes begin to run at startup and keep the phone awake. These apps are not detected by things like spare parts or system panel, unless sometimes represented in the "system" process, in which case its usage will be unusually high.
    This shouldn't take more than three repeats, and if it does, you need to factory reset, and slowly add apps back to see what's causing the problem.

___--- When it comes to actually "calibrating" one's battery, there are a couple of methods floating around. The method I first learned is to charge the phone all the way, boot into recovery immediately, and "wipe battery stats". Then reboot quickly, and run your phone all the way to death without charging it, then charge it all the way without interrupting it, and you should be good to go. Do this when changing ROMs/kernels for best results.

----When it comes to people claiming 20 plus hours of moderate/heavy use out of their current setup or other ridiculous absurdities, consider my position: No matter what you do, the Evo battery is the Evo battery. You can tweak it and customize it with kernels, ROMs, and settings, but none of that will turn it into a car battery. The main problem (besides a false sense of pride) that leads to these reports is the misunderstanding of what the usage levels are, so here’s my best summary:

* *Light usage – Phone screen actually on for maybe 0-2 hours. Things like a few texts, some emails, 20 minutes web browsing, etc.
    * *Moderate usage – You watched a few youtube videos or similar apps, sustained web browsing, hundreds of texts, some games. Hours range from about 2-5 of screen on
    * *Heavy usage – LOTS of video watching and games, 3D pics or video, or some high def gaming/movie watching for at least an hour to an hour and a half in total, with lots of emails and texts, browsing, and other app shenanigans. 5+ hours

*I’m sure everyone doesn’t agree with all these numbers, but this is most likely a good average of what powerusers think. All specific hourage may vary due to differences in phones, batteries, ROMs, and kernels… Which also means that most battery comparisons are pointless; it’s only what you can improve on that counts!

I’ll update this whenever I see good stuff, people remind me, or I remember/come across things I do.

Hope it helps everybody!

Hit the "THANKS" button if I help you!

Vote for Your Favorite Tip
    After a few weeks, I'll re-order the tips by popular vote of helpfulness.
    Nice list of thing you got here. I haven't had to many issues with my battery life yet but I will try these and see if I can get it past the 16 hours.

The tips are all optional. If you can't live without live wallpapers, then by all means, use them. However, many users don't know about radios, etc. Very few people need bluetooth, 4G, and wifi all at the same time while the screen is off. I believe that part of having a smartphone is the luxury of being able to make informed decisions about the functions of your device to find your own individual perfect balance between performance and battery life.

Sent from my Shooter using XDA Premium App
    The tips for extending battery life are basically the same for all Android phones, barring 4G and 3D as of course, many Android phones have neither. During the last year+ of living with an Evo 4G I've run so many tests and compiled so much data on these sort of topics that at times I've had to tell myself to get a life. its the curse of being an uber-nerd I guess. I have some observation to share with regards to the tips and information contained in this thread. It was hard fought for so I'll share it for what its worth in the hopes that it helps someone.

Tip 1 - turning off all of the radios when not in use: this is absolutely true for Bluetooth and 4G, and disabling them when not in use actually makes sense as they are special purpose items; they are absolutely not necessary for normal phone operation, but very nice to have when you're driving or downloading the latest ROM to your phone!

However, I've found that as long as I disable Wifi notifications, leaving wifi on all of the time has made no perceivable difference in battery life as long as one does not go into Spare Parts and change the wifi sleep mode to anything other than Android default.

Finally, and this is 100% a personal feeling, I believe that except under certain specific circumstances, we shouldn't have to disable everything cool on our phones and turn then into touch-screen flip-phones in order to get through the day. A year ago, running CM6 on my Evo using the stock battery, and doing a Saturday to Sunday all-nighter, I was at about 16-hours of light to moderate use when I got a family call and spent the next 3 1/2 hours on the phone. At the end of that call, and with an up-time of 19hrs 51min, I got a warning that I was at 15% and needed to charge my phone. The 3G and wifi had been enabled the entire time, and GTalk had been running the entire time, as my wife and I use that for communication all the time.

Now, under certain, specific circumstances, meaning when I'm out in the sticks where there is weak-to-no data available, I will use the Quick Settings and disable Mobile Data because as another post mentioned, the phone will kill the battery with its retarded non-stop looking for data.

I do not use Airplane mode except on airplanes or in that one of those rare times where I absolutely cannot use my phone in any way, shape or form for an extended period of time. Back to when I'm in the sticks with little or no data available, killing Mobile Data still allows my phone to work, and in most cases (but not always), even if there is no data my phone still works. Leaving the phone enabled under these circumstances just uses about the same amount of power as having Mobile Data enabled in the city under normal circumstances and I can live with that.

2. Juice Defender: nuff said! I don't use it but it is a great app and does work well. Just understand that when it turns on your 3G every 10-15 minutes, this really just allows you to get email. GTalk, Quik, Fring, etc, none of these applications will log back on when the radio is turned on. You have to manually open these applications to make them logon.

For that reason, I believe that Tip 4 (disable Always On Mobile Data) is just as effective for me as it does the exact same thing except that instead of the radio being turned automatically by JD, when one feels like checking your mail, you simply wake up your phone, the radio comes on and it checks your email. Just like with JD, if I want to access any of the other communications apps on the phone (GTalk, Quik, Fring, etc), I have to do that manually.

Hmm...so maybe JD would be better for the business person that must be notified of received email within a few minutes, and disabling Always On Mobile Data for those that don't? It’s up to you.

3. I found that Live wallpapers do use more power, but they do not all use the same amount of power. The simple live wallpaper Nexus that was the default on CM for the longest time (and maybe still is) used so little more power that it was negligible. I briefly ran a live weather background and another that cycled through pictures on the sdcard. Those definitely consumed far more power!

4. Addressed above in #2. I do wish we could get this option (disable Always On Mobile Data) added to the quick settings as I would use this instead of turning mobile data on and off when I'm 'in the sticks'.

5. I'm sooo with you here. The screens on all large touchscreen phones, even the newer, far more efficient ones like you have on your Evo 3D, they are still the largest consumer of power on these phones. Well, in the case of the 3D, I hear that when in 3D mode you can just about watch the number counting down, so it may actually beat out the display. Anyway, I also use 30-seconds for the screen-off. I also use the Brightness Level widget on most ROMs, using 25% when indoors and auto when outdoors.

6. You are 100% correct again! In spite of them being advertised as being compatible with Gingerbread, as well as Froyo before it, they are counter productive. You explained that perfectly, so nuff said.

7. + System Panel: couldn't have written it better, and thanks for the proceedure!

8. I have a friend that had to do this on his Droid Incredible, but didn't have any idea that it was a somewhat wide-spread issue. Thanks for the heads up!

9. Good advise. Since I like to sync the contacts with Facebook for the pictures (which don't change that often), and don't mind having their recent feed quotes, etc. instead of unchecking the box to stop Facebook for HTC from syncing the feeds, I changed the Update Schedule to once a day. On AOSP ROMs I have Facebook for Android installed, have it set to sync with existing contacts only, then I uncheck every notification related and set the refresh interval to 'never'. Then under menu>accounts, I check the one box to sync the contacts. Beyond that I don't think that I've ever opened that application.

I had to get rid of Skype. Even when I logged off it was always running and actively using memory. I installed Network Usage from the market and it showed that Skype was sending and receiving data even when I was logged off. Bye bye Skype.

Root tips:

1. During the last year or a bit longer, I've flashed probably 50 ROMs/revisions and countless kernels. It’s so strange that what works great for one can work horribly for another. But finding the right combo can work wonders. Unfortunately, recommendations are only good as recommendation of things to try. But I did learn some interesting facts regarding governors and profiles. Pretty much regardless of the kernel I’m using I’ve finally settled on using the more or less standardized Conservative governor with no profiles. That has always ended up giving me the best compromise of performance and economy, so to speak.

I never found the screen off profile with min of 128MHz or 245MHz and a max of 245MHz or 384MHz to make any difference which doesn't make any sense, really. However I did read something once by someone that was not a proponent of such profiles, and he explained it like this. If while sleeping in our pockets or where ever, the phone needs to do something that makes it zoom up to say 998MHz for 2-3 seconds, and we have a profile that limits the max CPU speed to 384MHz, it still has to do the same amount of work, so now the CPU will run at 384MHz for say 5-7 seconds. It’s using less voltage but working for a much longer time. I don't have any idea how this balances out in the real word, but the old Conservative governor has been my choice.

Please remember that all of this information is based on my observations and experience with my phone only, and is not designed to contradict the experience of others. I only hope to offer additional and different information in the hopes that it may help someone.

For the most part, we are all victims of the same thing. The technology that has put these fine devices in our hands has developed significantly faster than another very important, related technology: the battery. I was using Lithium cells in the wireless for my electric guitar 20-years ago, and while the technology has progressed a bit...mostly the materials used...it is still nowhere near capable of providing an appropriate amount of power for the smartphones of today.

Thank you for your time.