Apple Keyboard + Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500

Search This thread

poolt

Nov 11, 2008
Hi guys, I hope to found a solution around here.
I've searched all over the internet and most of people agreed that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is one of the best to use with the GTab 10.1 and following this I bought one for me.

The problem is that nothing works, I got them paired and ready, but just here and there I can type on it without any hassle and when I can type, I cannot use the function keys, just literally typing. I thought the problem was the keyboard, but ran a test pairing it with my PC, laptop and even my iPhone and it worked flawlessly.

So, I've been wondering: "Isn't that because my tablet is Brazilian?" - I don't know, maybe the FW or whatever is ****ed up, just as almost everything else regarding tech that we get. It can even be that the info I got isn't that accurate and I have to get another specific Android keyboard that will work better. I'll need some help from you folks to decide which one, I have these options: Motorola, Sony and Logitech.

If you guys know any way to help, share. I'll be very grateful.
Thanks in advance!

wiffeltje

May 24, 2009
Since you didn`t get an answer yet, I`ll give it a shot.
But I`m afraid there are no simple answers.

Hi guys, I hope to found a solution around here.
I've searched all over the internet and most of people agreed that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is one of the best to use with the GTab 10.1 and following this I bought one for me.

I`ve got 3 different bluetooth keyboards that I use with my GTab 10.1 and my Xoom. And I have to agree with most people on the internet. If I do some serious typing, I also prefer the Apple Keyboard. But all 3 of them work.

The problem is that nothing works, I got them paired and ready, but just here and there I can type on it without any hassle and when I can type, I cannot use the function keys, just literally typing. I thought the problem was the keyboard, but ran a test pairing it with my PC, laptop and even my iPhone and it worked flawlessly.

I`m not exactly sure what you are refering too, but once I marked the bluetooth keyboard as the `main`keyboard in the system settings, I did work OK for me. Instead of the `on screen` keyboard, I can use the bluetooth keyboard everywhere when there is some text to be typed.

Function keys is somewhat different. There doesn`t seem to be some standard way of dealing with that in android (but I didn`t check fr the latest version of android). What would you expect these keys to do ? For my convinience, I did remap some of them to missing keys on the keyboard. (e.g. To have a `home`key) But that`s a bit involved (see below).

But some things (like Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for copy and paste) work as expected.

So, I've been wondering: "Isn't that because my tablet is Brazilian?" - I don't know, maybe the FW or whatever is ****ed up, just as almost everything else regarding tech that we get. It can even be that the info I got isn't that accurate and I have to get another specific Android. ...

Could be ... I just sticked to the qwerty layout to be sure. I did see quite some post from people that adapted the keyboard maping files to work with their keyboard (e.g. German ones), the same way that I adapted some of the function keys. You need to be rooted for that. The relevant files can be found in "/system/usr/keylayout/" and "/system/usr/keychars". But modifying these files is not easy or without risk. Currently, you can only find files in these that support qwerty keyboards if you have a standard setup.

A search on the internet will give you some examples of people that already did this. Or if you would like to play with these, I could also post a bit more on how I changed these files.

Hope this helps a bit.

rsk2mc

Oct 16, 2010
Cleveland
What keyboard are you referring to, I need to buy one and I do excessive typing I need a super reliable dock

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

wiffeltje

May 24, 2009
What keyboard are you referring to, I need to buy one and I do excessive typing I need a super reliable dock

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

I'm refering to the bluetooth keyboards for the iPad. These work OK for our GTab. My collegue at work uses one whith his Mac. We did use his keyboard a couple times with my GTab while pair programming. Works fine, besides the fact that his keyboard does not have an escape key.

There are also a lot of iPad keyboard clones from China (cfr. ebay) which also work OK. There is a version of these that are more generic (e.g. also support PC). I went for one of those. These have e.g. also an "escape" key, a "ctrl" key, arrows, ... And I need those keys a lot since I use "vim" to do my programming in a terminal.

I've have done most of my programming on the pad using this keyboard during the last five months. Works very good.

Example: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/250926373986

Last edited:

DevonSloan

Oct 20, 2011
I tried the Apple wireless keyboard and didnt like it. When I had my iPad2, I tried the Apple keyboard and much preferred the Logitech. I use the same keyboard (while Logitech makes "Android" and "iPad" specific keyboards, they are both the same except for the iPad one having "command" and "option" keys) with my GalTab 10.1 and it works great. It recognized it immediately and works flawlessly.

(And I think it looks better than the Apple keyboard - but that may just be me.)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Tabl...8N7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323647319&sr=8-1

joshanmahat

Dec 2, 2012
Keyboard

Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500 is so awesome to use with Galaxy Tab. It is used in Apple mobile too. It's an Aluminum Case with Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500 and P7510 which serves as a best partner for my Galaxy Tab in many ways.

dilsmike

Dec 10, 2012
"Samsung Tab P7500 keyboard"

"There is no doubt that this keyboard is cool. However,I would like to recommend one more choice.The more choices,the better for us. It's an Aluminum Case with Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500 and P7510 which serves as a best partner for my Galaxy Tab in many ways.It is sold at $44.99 only.Hope my recommendation helps."

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

"There is no doubt that this keyboard is cool. However,I would like to recommend one more choice.The more choices,the better for us. It's an Aluminum Case with Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Tab P7500 and P7510 which serves as a best partner for my Galaxy Tab in many ways.It is sold at $44.99 only.Hope my recommendation helps."

jsxltech.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-p7500-p7510-3-in-1-aluminum-case-with-wireless-bluetooth-keyboard

zkite

Oct 7, 2012
its about the mapping of the keyboard as said above, but also the mapping maybe specific to different apps. I mean so shortcuts work for one app but not the other.

I recommend Kensington KeyFolio™ Expert for Android
It's real fast and accurate, but the keys are a little bit small. Go google it