Search This thread

sigmabeta

Jul 2, 2009
I think it is important to let people know this:

Myself and another fellow over in the Sensation unbricking thread have had an odd issue. We both attempted to format SD cards from within Opensensation, and have both ended up with bricked Sensations after the next reboot.

I don't know what the possible cause of that would be, and Vorbeth I'm certainly not blaming you (I knew what the risks were when I started playing around with this,) however, I think at the very least a "don't format SD cards while using this ROM" warning is probably a good idea.

Spr33y

Jul 31, 2011
Boston

Myself and another fellow over in the Sensation unbricking thread have had an odd issue. We both attempted to format SD cards from within Opensensation, and have both ended up with bricked Sensations after the next reboot.

I don't know what the possible cause of that would be, and Vorbeth I'm certainly not blaming you (I knew what the risks were when I started playing around with this,) however, I think at the very least a "don't format SD cards while using this ROM" warning is probably a good idea.

I'm may be wrong but wouldn't formatting the SD card on any rom be a big no-no considering important ROM files are installed to the SD card?

Reactions: Tha Maxx

gbzbar

Jun 18, 2010
I'm may be wrong but wouldn't formatting the SD card on any rom be a big no-no considering important ROM files are installed to the SD card?

No, there are no important ROM files on the SD card. The phone can be run just fine without an SD card at all.
The "bricking" of the phones (if they are truly bricked) could have something to do with the ROM incorrectly identifying the partition that needs to be formatted and formatting the boot partition or system partition (completely recoverable, btw) or something. That's just a guess, though.

Reactions: Sgt.Incontro

alvaradorocks

Mar 1, 2009
Clarksville
avnet.ws

I can tell you right now, that what you guys did is considered a BIG NO! on the custom rom scene. By formatting SD via the rom itself you are asking it to run certain scripts that are in no way finished for cm9. These scripts come from AOSP and there is a reason why it is recommended to go to recovery and format there.
You have been warned.
Also, FYI, I'm not so sure that was a brick. Were you able to get back to the bootloader after format, if so, I can already see what that format did.

alvaradorocks

Mar 1, 2009
Clarksville
avnet.ws
No, there are no important ROM files on the SD card. The phone can be run just fine without an SD card at all.
The "bricking" of the phones (if they are truly bricked) could have something to do with the ROM incorrectly identifying the partition that needs to be formatted and formatting the boot partition or system partition (completely recoverable, btw) or something. That's just a guess, though.

You are pretty much hitting the mark there.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Not to sound like a ****, but if there is an issue that bothers you that isn't high on the priority list, you're more than welcome to submit patches and fixes...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Let it be, some people don't know what a development thread for a rom is, much less participate at actually fixing the major issues instead of asking to fix this annoyance here and there.

Reactions: kurtfhouse

blahbl4hblah

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Most people don't know which kind of thread one is from another but to help development it'd be wise to provide logcats if you run into issues so that the ones who know how to program can see what caused the issue in the first place. Whether it's a bad flash or something that's affecting everything within the rom itself.

For example I had an issue with the camera and I gave a logcat to vorbeth to see if it's fixable or just a bad flash and after I tested a little more it was just a bad flash

To do logcat you need to download android sdk and install adb

Open terminal and do
Adb logcat > logcat.txt

Then go to pastebin.com

And copy the logcat into it and your done
Pretty simple but most, people refuse to do it resulting in longer progress to fix certain things

I am not trying to be rude or here to offend anyone but if you need help give a logcat

Sent from my HTC Sensation

miniudavid

Aug 5, 2011
Hey. Just wanted to tell. My problem with navigon force closing is gone. I thought about what could could be different for me against others who say that it is running nice for them.. I used a stripped version of the gapps with only market and gmail. I installed the full version, and tada. It starts and runs nice. Btw. Thanks to seadersn for trying to help me fixing it. For the rest.. Best Rom so far that I ever used;) greetz

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

blahbl4hblah

Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You're welcome and by the way you'll need to flash that zip file anytime you upgrade to new versions of the ROM. It want stick after upgrading to the newest build. I hope the OP can include it in the ROM.

Just wanted to make sure that you know that since maybe in the future or rather sooner than later if there are changes to contacts or contacts provider for cm9 then the zip you have will not be working and may cause issues if there are changes that are connected to the framework

Master_Ellis

Sep 2, 2010
Winston Salem
Just wanted to make sure that you know that since maybe in the future or rather sooner than later if there are changes to contacts or contacts provider for cm9 then the zip you have will not be working and may cause issues if there are changes that are connected to the framework

Thank you for the heads up. I took a risk by flashing it but it seems to work flawlessly with the April 8th build. I'm going to test on the April 9th build later today.

Here's the attached zip. Maybe you guys can take a look and see why it works and if it can be included in the next build.

Attachments

• FaceBook_sync.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Nickedynick

blahbl4hblah

Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It works because there aren't that much if any changes as of right now. But if you look on Gerrit there are changes now. Honestly if you're compiling you can create a fork of contacts repo and add the changes then just add the new changes

There's a command that you can use if you have source downloaded to just build the contacts and contacts provider apks separately then just add them to the rom before flashing

I currently don't remember the command

Also there probably won't be an issue but you won't get the latest changes to it

Last edited:

phantomsniper773

Nov 21, 2010
Baltimore
I can tell you right now, that what you guys did is considered a BIG NO! on the custom rom scene. By formatting SD via the rom itself you are asking it to run certain scripts that are in no way finished for cm9. These scripts come from AOSP and there is a reason why it is recommended to go to recovery and format there.
You have been warned.
Also, FYI, I'm not so sure that was a brick. Were you able to get back to the bootloader after format, if so, I can already see what that format did.

Hey, I'm the "other fellow" who bricked his phone by formatting the SD and I'm pretty sure that the othe guy was correct when he said what happened was instead of the SD card parition being formatted, another partition crucial to the bootloader was formatted. My Sensation didn't even show the white screen with the HTC logo anymore. Just a black screen and the Windows 7 device manager wanted drivers for "QHSUSB_DLOAD."

I asked Vorbeth about this on Twitter, but he wasn't so sure about it. In any case, sigmabeta and I just wanted to point this out to save other people from bricks. I personally contacted T-Mobile to get a replacement.

blahbl4hblah

Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, I'm the "other fellow" who bricked his phone by formatting the SD and I'm pretty sure that the othe guy was correct when he said what happened was instead of the SD card parition being formatted, another partition crucial to the bootloader was formatted. My Sensation didn't even show the white screen with the HTC logo anymore. Just a black screen and the Windows 7 device manager wanted drivers for "QHSUSB_DLOAD."

I asked Vorbeth about this on Twitter, but he wasn't so sure about it. In any case, sigmabeta and I just wanted to point this out to save other people from bricks. I personally contacted T-Mobile to get a replacement.

That brick is fixable without having to return it to anyone there's a project that's almost complete that will and should fix it

Master_Ellis

Sep 2, 2010
Winston Salem
It works because there aren't that much if any changes as of right now. But if you look on Gerrit there are changes now. Honestly if you're compiling you can create a fork of contacts repo and add the changes then just add the new changes

There's a command that you can use if you have source downloaded to just build the contacts and contacts provider apks separately then just add them to the rom before flashing

I currently don't remember the command

Way over my head bro.

phantomsniper773

Nov 21, 2010
Baltimore
That brick is fixable without having to return it to anyone there's a project that's almost complete that will and should fix it

Yeah, I saw dexter93's thread on it but I don't really have another phone to use in the meantime while the guide is being completed. Also, I had some dust underneath the screen so I'm basically killing two birds with one stone by sending it to T-Mo ;).

Master_Ellis

Sep 2, 2010
Winston Salem
Yeah, I saw dexter93's thread on it but I don't really have another phone to use in the meantime while the guide is being completed. Also, I had some dust underneath the screen so I'm basically killing two birds with one stone by sending it to T-Mo ;).
I bricked my friend's Sensation and was able to restore it by copying over the Clockwork ROM backup files that I stored on my PC over to the sdcard then booting into recovery. Do you have a nandroid backup stored on your PC?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

This thread is about OpenSensation and not about my kernel!!

Disclaimer
    Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    Known Bugs / Fixes
    • MHL doesn't works as expected
    • Bluetooth may not work perfectly on every device
    • Not compatible with SuperWipe.zip
      • Use 4EXT's full-wipe function
    • Your bug is not listed here?
    Difference between OpenSensation and CyanogenMod
    • we have 1080p, they don’t
    • we have OTA Updates, they don’t
    • we have PDroid patches included, they don’t
    • we have removed RomManger and Terminal Emulator (bloatware, still available in Play Store)
    USB-OTG
    The USB-OTG stuff is a little bit tricky. It looks like some Sensations have a self powered USB Host port which allows them to use an USB-Stick without external power. But most Sensation don’t have it.
    You need
    • USB-OTG y-cable (like this)
      • (or a normal USB-OTG cable if your attached device has it’s own power supply)
    • in case you’re using an USB-OTG y-cable you need an external power supply
      • I recommend you a mobile battery with a female USB-Port
    This ROM will mount the first partition of your attached device (fat32 & ntfs only!) to /mnt/usbdisk. If you wan’t to use more partitions/devices I recommend you to use Chainfire’s StickMount App
    Requirements
    • HTC Sensation (XE and 4G sould work, too)
    • custom Recovery (I recommend 4EXT)
    • 3.32 or 3.33 Firmware (ROM is tested with 3.32 firmware, so use 3.33 at your own risk!)
    • S-OFF (ROM should work without S-OFF, but you might need 4EXT’s SmartFlash to properly flash the boot.img)
    • SDCard
    Download
    FAQ
    • Can we have XYZ from Sense?
      • NO!
    • “Is there a way to have FM Radio?”
      • No, there is no way to build it from source. Try Spirit FM.
    Thanks & Credits
    • Vorbeth, intervigilium, elelinux and cretin45 (for bringing CM9 to the Sensation)
    • intervigilium, faux123 and showp1984 (for the kernel)
    • blahbl4hblah (for his tutorial to compile OpenSensation which brought me to where I am now)
    • aquariumsoft (for UpdateMe)
    • SebastianFM (for his USB-OTG patch)
    • pastime1971 (for the updated PDroid patches)
    • Slap me if I forgot to mention you :)
    Sources
    Removed as TamCore now has OP
    Small update for you all.
    I'm going to be stopping working on OS. Waiting 190 minutes for each compile just to test a small fix is getting too much.

I thank all those that previously donated, I was able to get a used q6600 PC, however that didn't last and the CPU fried. (Probably why I got it cheap was that is was on it's way out)

I've asked TamCore if he will take over on OpenSensation.

I have enjoyed the time I spent in doing this, however with work I don't have time to work on this during a week now, as the last few updates have shown working on it during the week, staying up while it compiles results in a few bug's.

The repo's as they are now do suffer from audio routing and I will try to re-port the routing fix over the next few day's, but that will be my last contribution.
    What's the current status of LPA?

In a few hours after I compile, it will be enabled & audio routing band-aided

leaving just bluetooth, mhl, full HW acceleration & a few wakelock issues to be fixed.

Hell, I started out on this laptop, so may as well finish on it.
    i'll stick around continuing to work on this for a while yet.

Guess I just got that pissed off waiting one night I thought "f**k it"
    I will continue until such a point that cm and my repos have exactly the same functions.