[XOOM2/XYBOARD][HOW TO] Motorola Xoom 2/Xyboard Everything Root and more!

Search This thread

andario

Feb 10, 2012
Just to confirm that this process worked flawlessly with my Xoom 2 v3.2.

It messed with the battery settings, though, since it was below 80% when I started the process and now it says it´s fully charged (which I know for a fact it´s not).

On another note, I´ve tried USB Mass Storage and does not seem to work with this root (I´m not sure if it may be my USB OTG adapter, but the device freezes as soon as I plug my USB portable HD, so I have to wake it up by pressing Power+Volume up, exactly the same as before USB Mass Storage was installed.

If any of you are running into the same issues I´d appreciate some advice about how to proceed.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Intergalacdroid

Feb 8, 2011
Allllright!

Worked nicely for me :D

Now to find a ROM, hmmmmmm

IG =]

Captain's Log: Supplemental...
I tried this method twice,both before and after the OTA update,and on two different Win7 machines, worked great both times...

Last edited:

mdcykkk9

Mar 21, 2009
Just to confirm that process worked flawlessly again after updating my Xoom 2ME to v3.2.2

andario

Feb 10, 2012
I already solved what I asked below. I imagine the "remount fix" is what I needed, but I downloaded the included file, put it in the Windows directory where the original files were located, then got into cmd mode, then followed the instructions. Problem is nothing happened when I typed "su", then it told me "Mount is not allowed...". Anyway, I reapplied the entire original process, and it worked like a charm, even though I had already upgraded to 3.2.2.

We noobs are people too, you know... ;)

Hi guys,

After getting into a bunch of problems with the market today (including the dreaded "Can't establish a reliable connection to the server" bug) I think I must have deleted "something" in the repair process, since I do not have root privileges any more.

Everything is working fine now, except that whenever I try to use any app that requires root privileges (like Screenshot ER) I get a warning saying "Root access is required". I still get the usual "X has been granted superuser privileges...", like it used to do, but nothing really works any more.

"Got Root?" tells me both Superuser and Busybox are still there, but it "Failed to obtain root privileges trough "su"".

Please bare with me since I barely know what I´m doing here, so I don´t know if it´s possible to reapply the Dan Rosenberg´s Root process like I did the very first time, or I just need the "Remount fix" mentioned by Elysian893. If my only solution is the latter, I´d appreciate some help with it since that process reads like Mandarin to me, and it doesn´t seem to be explained in this thread either.

Cheers.

Last edited:

amaduain

Apr 5, 2012
remount fix file

Beware with the remount fix file, the download link is not working, if you tried to download it will download an html error file!
Please somebody upload the correct file or post the contents to edit manually!

Apr 6, 2011
Rome
why do we have to do the remount fix?

Worked on italian xoom2!!!!
Magic.
But why do we have to do the remount fix thing?
Thank you for your work!!!

dengi_it

Apr 16, 2008
Worked on italian xoom2!!!!
Magic.
But why do we have to do the remount fix thing?
Thank you for your work!!!

Hello, I'm Italian as well with a TIM branded Xoom 2. Was yours TIM, too?
What I don't understand is if just having the Xoom 2 rooted we can gain access to an European upgrade that is not accessible by a branded tablet. Is this the case?

If not, given that I have not found updated custom ROMs here on XDA for the Xoom 2, I cannot understand what is the advantage of having the root at the very moment!

What am I missing? Many thanks!

Apr 6, 2011
Rome
re

Hello,
Yes it was tim branded.
It is already updated to the lastest build. Like the european debranded one.
I need root for many things. The first is titanium backup.
However root is always the first step.
Waiting for bootloader unlock so to have custom recovery and install moded firmwares and kernels to get the best from the tablet.
Do you like your xoom2?

dengi_it

Apr 16, 2008
Hello,
Yes it was tim branded.
It is already updated to the lastest build. Like the european debranded one.
I need root for many things. The first is titanium backup.
However root is always the first step.
Waiting for bootloader unlock so to have custom recovery and install moded firmwares and kernels to get the best from the tablet.
Do you like your xoom2?

Yes I do like my Xoom 2, even if I was disappointed by Honeycomb, with more troubles than Gingerbread running in my Galaxy Note! In particular I cannot stay without Opera browser that is wonderful and smooth on the Note and instead crashes on the Xoom 2 using Flash...

On the Xoom 2 Opera is much more better than the stock browser and Dolphin, but as you access flash sites it immediately crashes! Disappointing...

Also, I'm not sure we have the latest firmware with TIM: we have version 0.268.4 but I read somebody in Germany and Australia got 0.281.4. Is this something we miss??

Last but not least after having been accustomed to the Note fantastic display, the one from the Xoom 2 is not comparable! I miss the contrast, quality, definition and never dirty gorilla glass... Anyway as a matter of fact this is one of the best tablet currently in the marketplace... Just Asus Transformer Prime is better but it was very faulty till a few weeks ago....

jasuramme

Jul 20, 2010
Hi, guys. I rooted successfully. UK wifi only xoom 2.
Could you tell me, can I install ICS from US version here somehow?
And is there some option how to perform recovery? Just afraid that I'll brick device after some expirements.

Cheers

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
Hi, guys. I rooted successfully. UK wifi only xoom 2.
Could you tell me, can I install ICS from US version here somehow?
And is there some option how to perform recovery? Just afraid that I'll brick device after some expirements.

Cheers

The are no custom recoveries or ROM's yet for the Xoom 2 as we still have a locked bootloader and no bootstrap yet. :)

ze.gmonteiro

May 6, 2012
It seems that the remount fix link is down again. Besides, can someone explain me (noob here) why do we have to do this remount fix thing?

mrdummy

Jan 9, 2006
To make it clear:
- My laptop is Windows 7.
- I have installed USB drives that came with MotoCast program (you find the program on Xoom2 special drive when you plug it for first time).
- I have not installed another drivers for USB. The latest drivers i find on Motorola site is possible "Motorola Device Manager" which has higher version 2.2.17, but it's 31,1 MB big. The linked file in first stop looks have version 2.1.32 / Driver 5.4.0. This file is much smaller with 8,2 MB. Both have USB drivers.

With MotoCast tool installed, i tried to run the root package.
All 3 reboot steps went without problems, the superuser / Titanium Backup is working good. Here the root access is confirmed.
Xoom2 ME is standard 3.2.2 with preinstalled stuff (thus default version), bought in Netherlands.
Accu is like 30%, but it went ok.

Thanks for the great tool!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XOOM2/Xyboard Everything root and more!

From 26/03/2014, I will no longer be updating this post as I no longer have the device and Motorola won't be upgrading the device further. Please instead of sending me PMs, go to the Q&A board or post your comment on this thread.

Note: This method will not work on Windows 8. Only Windows XP, Vista, 7, Linux and Mac OS X is supported.

Root Method - Honeycomb
    1. Download the Windows version here, or the Linux/OSX version here.

2. Your Computer must have Motorola Drivers installed before rooting and connect your device with debugging on to your computer via USB. (Mac Users don't need drivers)

3. Extract the zip file from the download link, and run “run.bat” (on Windows) or “run.sh” from a terminal (on Linux/OSX)

4. Your device should reboot a few times during the process, don't worry.

5. Then you should see a finished message on the Root Method Window. At this point your device is safe to be removed from the computer.

7. As you are running Honeycomb if you are reading this then you should be receiving the ICS OTA soon. So lets backup your root so you can restore everything root after the upgrade (saves time). Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.

6. Well Done! You have root. Enjoy root and be safe.

Blog Post: Here

Root Method - Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Connect your Xoom2/Xyboard via USB to your Windows PC. Install Motorola Drivers from here.

2. Under Settings > Developer Options > Hit the "Enable USB Debugging" selection.

3. Download the Root Installer from here. (Says for Droid RAZR but also works on Xyboard and Xoom 2]

4. Unzip the download.

Bootstrap/Safestrap[Custom Recovery]
    Waring: DO NOT proceed if you are inexperienced. bootstrap is messy and is only needed once we have ROMs cooking. All questions about the recovery ask in the developer thread.

1. Install the Bootstrap APK file.
    2. Allow Superuser Powers.
    3. Read the instructions which is displayed on the user interface.
    5. You will now see a splashscreen after you reboot (before boot animation), here you can decide if you want to enter recovery or continue with boot.
    -Method Under Constuction-

Unroot or temporary unroot

Temp Unroot - If you need to unroot for any reason and come back at any time, then install OTA Rootkeeper and then select the option "temp unroot). This will remove root without restarting and you can restore by a touch of a button.

Full remove of Root - If you want to complety remove root all together, if you need to send in your device for repair or trading your device. Install Ginger Unroot and continue with the onscreen instructions. This application has confirmed to work on the Xoom2/Xyboard.​
    Jelly Bean soak test invitations went out 10/27/13!!! Won't be long.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk
    Here is a link to some mods I have started for our device http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2053048.

Sent from my MZ617 using xda app-developers app
    I don't think this is caused by the root method as I have heard successful reports of rooted xyboard owners upgrading to 3.2.2 fine. But a user on this forum http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18963-up...514mz617enuszip/page__pid__497187#entry497187 has uploaded a zip version of the update, I'm assuming that you can flash this by the stock recovery somehow.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
    I was going to include instructions in my post @ rootzwiki on how to install this update through recovery in my post but I haven't been able to get recovery to mount the internal or an external storage(thumbdrive or sdcard with dongle).
    I tried leaving the name alone and with it renamed to update.zip with no success.

Note: I pulled the files from my VZW xyboard 10.1. I can not confirm that it is the same update for all versions of the Xoom2/xyboard variants.
    I think the problem is coming from the fact that I removed some verizon bloat. And when it tries to run the update it hangs on verifying a file called vcast-vzw-signed-fleming.apk . If someone could possibly upload a copy of this file i would appreciate it. it is from the /data/app folder.

Have a look for the file in a xyboard dump like this - http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/1...7-117279-system-dump/page__unlockUserAgent__1 :)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2