Dilemma- downgrade i337 4.4 NC1 to 4.3, or upgrade 4.2 MDL to 4.3

Search This thread

yowza

May 14, 2008
OK, I have been searching for several days for a solution to the issue I'm dealing with, with no luck so far.

Goal: Have a Rooted s4 working with Gear 2 watch.

I have 2 s4's I can work with both At&t SGH-I337:

one on 4.4.2 UCUFNC1

the other, 4.2.2 UCUAMDL (attempted to update, system said "interrupted" after downloading the large file, now Kies says its up to date, and won't take any updates)

after much reading and digging, its been tough finding what would work with baseband MDL model - too many "my phone is bricked!" comments afterward has me worried to proceed!

any suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!!!

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Last edited:

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
To add on to above post, for the MDL firmware phone get twrp and flash something like ShoStock-i. It is based on one of the newest international firmwares and include the needed files for Gear Manager that should allow your Gear 2 to work. I have the Gear 1 with using ShoStock-i and it works perfectly. Should not be any different for your Gear 2 with Tizen. Gear Manager will work on your Tizen watch with it.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337

yowza

May 14, 2008
thank you very much for your helpful suggestions JD and RockRatt! I'll study up on what you've posted and take these steps... I'll post if I get stuck and/or get results. Thanks again!

Last edited:

yowza

May 14, 2008
I have the NC1 firmware....
I achieved root just by downloading TOWELROOT
You are welcome.
All credits go to Geohot

WOW! verified root on NC1 device using root checker... SUPER simple... Thanks for the headsup! I felt like I was about to perform surgery...:good:

thank you thank you thank you Geohot!

mznatnat

Dec 10, 2011
Chicago, IL
WOW! verified root on NC1 device using root checker... SUPER simple... Thanks for the headsup! I felt like I was about to perform surgery...:good:

thank you thank you thank you Geohot!

I was dying from happiness last night too.... I just wanted to debloat my touchwiz.... so much **** AT&T puts on these roms its crazy!!!!

yowza

May 14, 2008
sigh... Unfortunately, even though I was able to verify root on NC1, I am have not been able to get wifi tether to work (I get "settings has stopped" error, after following the process of replacing tetheringprovision.apk file that I did on my MDL model).

So I have the MDL 4.2.2 model that provides hotspot but doesn't work with Gear 2, and NC1 that's vice versa.

I've looked into flashing a prerooted custom 4.4.2 ROM with working tether like Maple Leaf among others mentioned in this thread, but ODIN fails when I try to install CWM (FAIL Auth). Also tried the ES File Explorer option to create a hotspot network, still get the settings has stopped, I read that even when its says that, it's still actually providing a signal, but not on mine for sure (not finding any using different devices).

I tried this:

For the one on nc1, you're going to have to flash the Odin mk2 tar file. Then root with saferoot. You can then decide if you want to install safestrap and flash a rooted nb1 rom. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49687770 also, see this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51067706
The one on mdl, I'd put on twrp or cwm and then flash a 4.4.2 rom

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

followed the steps to the TEE on NC1 phone and still get an ODIN error. ODIN says md5 file is valid, after "firmware update start..", it lists:

sbl2.mbn
NAND Write Start!!
sbl2.mbn
sbl3.mbn
rpm.mbn
aboot.mbn

complete(write) operation failed.
<OSM> all threads completed (suesseed 0 / failed 1)

Now it says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and Try again."
Followed the process to on Kies to upgrade firmware with model number and SN, but it tries to load MDL version and says "This devices version cannot be updated"

Tried emergency recovery but device doesn't show on the list.

been working on this for a couple of days now- staying patient- I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing... Thanks so much for your suggestions guys!

yowza

May 14, 2008
SOLVED!

I finally accomplished what I was going for:

I managed to unbrick my 4.4.2 NC1 by flashing 4.4.2 NB1 via ODIN, then took the OTA update again to NC1, rooted with Towelroot, then, after finding out that AT&T no longer blocks hotspot with the new mobile share plans (which I have), everything is working fine= rooted 4.4.2 NC1 with working hotspot and compatibility with Gear 2.

thanks again for the suggestions!