Cannot root or unlock bootloader 4.4.4

Search This thread

Ahmed_iAM

Jun 25, 2014
I've tried to unlock the bootloader and root this phone for the past 5 hours with no success. Is the 4.4.4 not supported by the current tools? I don't suppose any of the drivers have changed from the 4.4.3 to this. Running windows 8.1. Also have Ubuntu 14.10

Reactions: Langduscher

daledenton

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago
I've tried to unlock the bootloader and root this phone for the past 5 hours with no success. Is the 4.4.4 not supported by the current tools? I don't suppose any of the drivers have changed from the 4.4.3 to this. Running windows 8.1. Also have Ubuntu 14.10

Why don't you just do it manually? Its good learning experience and extremely easy/straightforward to do on Nexus devices. Plenty of guides.

EDIT: I assume you meant you were using scripts given you said tools. I guess I should clarify. You do mean those toolkits are what you are using? Or are you saying that fastboot isn't working?

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
What about unlocking it manually (fastboot oem unlock) & flashing recovery + SuperSU?

Beter than the tools (assuming you mean toolkits) anywayz.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Ahmed_iAM

Jun 25, 2014
I'll try it manually. If that doesn't work I'll come back. I usually unlock the bootloader then root. That is the best way right or does it not matter?

Ahmed_iAM

Jun 25, 2014
Worked. But Android L erased the root like I thought I would and also removed the custom recovery. I do like the features. Buggy with sum apps but it's good for the most part.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Worked. But Android L erased the root like I thought I would and also removed the custom recovery. I do like the features. Buggy with sum apps but it's good for the most part.

Glad you did it the manual way. Flashing the entire factory image will always remove root and put on the stock recovery. Extract the zip file in the factory image and see what's in there. You can flash all those individually.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Ahmed_iAM

Jun 25, 2014
The issue came up again. I Dont know which driver it is. I did the recovery, rooting and flashing from a windows 7 VM and it worked perfectly. It just happens when I use 8.1 it does not work at all. I installed LG's drivers, googles, the SDK, the slimes SDK and a couple others. Seems to make no difference. Any ideas? I'd prefer not having to use a VM to do this root and flashing process.

Main issue is when I do the adb or fastboot devices command, the nexus 5 is not recognized but the system does see it as an android boot loader.

Last edited:

gfaughn

Dec 11, 2011
I seem to be having the same issue, I can get the phone to reboot into fastboot through ADB, but "fastboot oem unlock" does not work, states "waiting for device", even tried CF auto root and it displays the same thing, "waiting for device". any suggestions?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I seem to be having the same issue, I can get the phone to reboot into fastboot through ADB, but "fastboot oem unlock" does not work, states "waiting for device", even tried CF auto root and it displays the same thing, "waiting for device". any suggestions?

Reboot your computer. Boot your phone into bootloader using volume down and power. Then connect the USB and see if "fastboot devices" reports anything

Ahmed_iAM

Jun 25, 2014
If it's windows 8/8.1 it needs some driver verification. To turn it off go to charms>setting>advance start up> restart now>trouble shoot> adv options>windows start up options>restart>press F7 or "disable driver signature enforcement">reboot

Should work

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
If it's windows 8/8.1 it needs some driver verification. To turn it off go to charms>setting>advance start up> restart now>trouble shoot> adv options>windows start up options>restart>press F7 or "disable driver signature enforcement">reboot

Should work

I never had to disable driver signature enforcement to get it to work on 8/8.1/8.1U1 :/

gfaughn

Dec 11, 2011
Reboot your computer. Boot your phone into bootloader using volume down and power. Then connect the USB and see if "fastboot devices" reports anything

unfortunately "fastboot devices" did not list any devices, running windows 7.

EDIT: I got it working, wanted to post this if anyone else sees issues like i did - i flashed Koush's universal adb/fastboot driver:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/UniversalAdbDriverSetup6.msi

Worked perfect. Thanks all for your help!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.