[HOW TO] Native hotspot without root NC5D & maybe others

Search This thread

jtfan

May 23, 2011
N900PVPUEOK2
SM-N900P

This worked for me tonight. I was rooted with old android with towelroot but I couldn't wait any more had to upgrade. I always used 'wifi tether router' which is a great app btw. After upgrade I tried this because I'm far too stupid to root my device again.

Worked like a charm. The location is bit different. Once inside data menu and 'edit' I then went to 'APN Settings' >> then into LTE and EHRPD individually and changed the 'APN Type' field.. adding ,dun to each so it reads default,mms,dun

Worked great native hotspot popped right on, tested with my tablet seems to be working good.

Last edited:

dins93

Sep 13, 2014
what method did you use to root to n900pvpueok2 ???

I'm wanting to update - my phone is currently rooted using twrp using odin on NK4.

i don't want to lose the ability to use my external card for my spotify playlists (i'm a heavy spotify user) and the hotspot is NICE but i don't use it terribly often - i would be sad - to lose it - but not a deal breaker. thanks you :)
current:
sprint note 3 sm-n900p nk4 4.4.4:confused:

N900PVPUEOK2
SM-N900P

This worked for me tonight. I was rooted with old android with towelroot but I couldn't wait any more had to upgrade. I always used 'wifi tether router' which is a great app btw. After upgrade I tried this because I'm far too stupid to root my device again.

Worked like a charm. The location is bit different. Once inside data menu and 'edit' I then went to 'APN Settings' >> then into LTE and EHRPD individually and changed the 'APN Type' field.. adding ,dun to each so it reads default,mms,dun

Worked great native hotspot popped right on, tested with my tablet seems to be working good.

hstinson

Jan 4, 2016
How do I get hotspot to work on my sprint samsung galaxy note 3 with out pay for the hot spot ...could someone plase help me

jimzweb1

Nov 13, 2010
How do I get hotspot to work on my sprint samsung galaxy note 3 with out pay for the hot spot ...could someone plase help me

Is your note 3 rooted ? What OS are you running i.e. NC5, NH7, NK4 (KitKat) or OC5, OH1, OK2, (lollipop) ?

First I will assume your device is not rooted hstinson considering that is your first post. I will try to keep the instructions simple.
The first thing you need is the MSL you could try calling sprint and see if they will give it to you, (50/50 chance of that happening) or here is a link to get your MSL https://mega.nz/#!tcIl3byb
Download the apk file to your PC desktop, plug you charging cable into the USB on your PC .
Copy and paste the apk file the internal storage of the device. Now go to the play store and download a file manager like ES File Explorer.
Open the file explorer and find the internal storage on the device then find the apk and click on it and install it.
Run the apk and it will give a six digit number might say spc or msl basically the same thing. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.
Now type in ##data# on the devices dialer keypad. A new page will come up called DATA, click on Edit. A new page will come up now type in your MSL. A new page will come up click on More. A new page will come up click on LTE APN settings. A new page will come up click on APN2 LTE internet. Scroll down to APN type, click on it and add ",dun" no spaces click ok. Now click the back button go back to APNs and click on APN2 EHRPD internet, again find APN type and add ",dun" to it. Click back make sure APN2 LTE internet is still checked, then click the back button till you are on the home page. Ok hotspot should now work, if it doesn't try rebooting the device.

Last edited:

Greaper88

Oct 28, 2014
I'm wanting to update - my phone is currently rooted using twrp using odin on NK4.

i don't want to lose the ability to use my external card for my spotify playlists (i'm a heavy spotify user) and the hotspot is NICE but i don't use it terribly often - i would be sad - to lose it - but not a deal breaker. thanks you :)
current:
sprint note 3 sm-n900p nk4 4.4.4:confused:
Here ya go, just download Wi-Fi tether router from the play store, it's $3 and does the job wonderfully.
http://xdaforums.com/note-3-sprint/general/rom-twrp-flash-ok2-n9000p-t3301897
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en

Last edited:

dyehya

Jan 31, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I am not sure if anyone else ran into this. On my brother's Note 3, after upgrading to OK2, I added the ,dun to the two APNs but the wifi tether has a limit of 1 device that cannot be changed in settings. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? And can anyone make a deodexed OK2 services.jar with the hotspot mod added?

darealdoomer

Sep 5, 2007
I flashed my Note 3 back to stock, using OK2 Lollipop. The menu has changed and I do not see the lte apns option in the menu. Does this method still work? If so, what are the new steps?

vipsy6

Jun 13, 2014
Vadodara
same

I flashed my Note 3 back to stock, using OK2 Lollipop. The menu has changed and I do not see the lte apns option in the menu. Does this method still work? If so, what are the new steps?

I am in the same boat. Wifi tether router works for me but even though would like to have native one. ;)
Have you tried replacing telephony.db in OP with original one ?

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

On current s3 and note 3 msl no longer opens apns editable (I don't have an s5 to see if the same was done)
To bypass this you need root to change sales code, but if you have root you might as well use the app.

Either way if msl no longer opens your s5's apns, root will be needed to enable hotspot.

Hello
What should be entered in Sales code ? Please advise

Greaper88

Oct 28, 2014
Have you tried replacing telephony.db in OP with original one ?

I tried this after I got lollipop, and it caused the system to force close, requiring me to restore the original file from recovery (twrp file browser) to use my phone again.

I would like to see an updated file that will work on lollipop.

Last edited:
Reactions: vipsy6

vipsy6

Jun 13, 2014
Vadodara
Same happened

I tried this after I got lollipop, and it caused the system to force close, requiring me to restore the original file from recovery (twrp file browser) to use my phone again.

I would like to see an updated file that will work on lollipop.
Before I see your reply I did it and same happened to me. But I just deleted OP file and renamed original file. and worked fine for me. As I haven't recovery installed it was necessary to try this and it saved my time and efforts. I hope @idone or someone may provide file for LP 5.0

vrio

Apr 19, 2016
I did this on the S7 edge worked great, and I didn't read up on it and updated prl and profile, now it's not working and apn files are all gray and I can not edit them anymore . Does anyone have a fix or another method wo rooting phone?

Sent from my SM-G935P using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

kjinmn

Nov 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I did this on the S7 edge worked great, and I didn't read up on it and updated prl and profile, now it's not working and apn files are all gray and I can not edit them anymore . Does anyone have a fix or another method wo rooting phone?

Sent from my SM-G935P using XDA Free mobile app

Same for me, on my Note 3, Note 4, and my wife's S6.

Any ideas? Help!

justmeray1777

Feb 11, 2015
learning have a coupple ?

i would like too add this im rooted is ther a better way of understanding how im not sure whare the database is so i can input info thanks also i would like too add apn setting but greayed out any way around this thanks for any givin knowaged:angel:

CarmenF216

Oct 4, 2017
I have a galaxy s7 and am not to good with all this kinda stuff i have been trying to figure out how to do this and how to root my phone idk if i can but if someone can help me out id really appreciate it
P.s.
I cant not figure out how to get my msl number i even called sorint n for some reason they wouldnt give it to me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got native hotspot working on stock rom without root.

See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792790

Get your msl/spc
    Dial ##data#
    Scroll to bottom and select more
    Scroll to bottom and select lte apns
    Add dun to apn type for both lte and ehrpd apn's
    Profit

apn type field accepts csv so put no spaces
    Code:
    default,mms,dun

***edit***
    If you have root and want to edit the file the apn resides in manually it is
    /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
    Open the database, select carriers, bottom 2 apns add ",dun" and you are good to go!

I have attached working telephony.db with dun already added from my note 3.

Also the apn edit is working on 6 different firmware galaxy devices tested so far. I will test some htc phones in comming days
    ***edit***

Pictures provided in thread above if you need visuals.
    tool to get your msl provided in thread above if you don't want to ask sprint for it.

Enjoy native hotspot everyone.

****edit****
    Tested working on sprint s3. Works 100% so this might just be a universal solution for sprint hotspot.. at least it would seem so on galaxy devices!!!
    Got native hotspot working on stock rom without root.

See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2792790

Get your msl/spc
    Dial ##data#
    Scroll to bottom and select more
    Scroll to bottom and select lte apns
    Add dun to apn type for both lte and ehrpd apn's
    Profit

apn type field accepts csv so put no spaces
    Code:
    default,mms,dun

Pictures provided in thread above if you need visuals.
    tool to get your msl provided in thread above if you don't want to ask sprint for it.

Enjoy native hotspot everyone.

It does work and post for MSL tool is here
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49768111&postcount=144
    Just in case specific step by step:

Get your MSL/SPC number using the app from this link: http://tools.flashingtools.com/SPCUtility.apk

Dial ##data#
    Select Edit
    Put your MSL # and click OK
    Scroll to bottom and select More
    Scroll to bottom and select LTE APN Settings
    Got to APN2 LTE internet
    Go to APN type
    Add ,dun at the end
    Now it should be default,mms,dun
    Got to APN2 EHRPD internet
    Go to APN type
    Add ,dun at the end
    Now it should be default,mms,dun
    Go to Settings
    Change Hotspot to ON
    Done. It should work now.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Does using the native hotspot with this telephony.db mod trigger an charges with sprint?

No but it is a good idea to be on an unlimited data plan!

here is an old screenshot, but I've used up 500gb+ some months, and almost always over 100gb.

attachment.php
    Tried it, note 3 sprint 5.0 and it just kicks me off each time I do it