Fast/Easy unbrick - Droid 3 (XT862)

Search This thread

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
I apologize I didn't mean to imply something was wrong with your link I can't tell if its my computer or what because the same issue happened with another once click link I downloaded with everything included. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and. NET frameworks and it gets up to writting boot img. or something like that, it says okay and then the cursor thing just blinks in the next line doing nothing. I can't get the wifi tether hack to stick on my phone either im getting discouraged with my d3 after loving my first 5 days lol. I will write line for line what it says after work I was too tired to try again after I got home last night appreciate your help on the matter though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why it would be hanging up like that? All I can assume is a bad DL because it has been used successfully. Bad DL's happen more often than you'd think, it seems. As for the radio hack, once you re-write the radio's signatures, it shouldn't disappear unless you rewrite the radio.

haztv

Jun 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
I'm not sure why it would be hanging up like that? All I can assume is a bad DL because it has been used successfully. Bad DL's happen more often than you'd think, it seems. As for the radio hack, once you re-write the radio's signatures, it shouldn't disappear unless you rewrite the radio.

That's just it I do the radio hack my phone reboots and when I try to use the hotspot app or any other Wireless tether app whatever device I try to connect just hangs on the obtaining ip address part. Then it fails to connect and just repeats the cycle, I've tried multiple devices and they all do the same thing. My browser works tho it doesn't take me to the Verizon website so I'm at a lost smh I haven't needed to sbf but I'd like to know I can if I need to but this no wifi tether is killing me

haztv

Jun 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
Ok so I realized that my phone wouldn't connect to wifi period which is probably the reason my wifi tether wont work the hack probably did stick the device just must have some type of hardware issues so ill be getting my new one tomorrow hopefully I can get this one click sbf method to work on that phone ill try redownloading it just to be safe.

anoopch

Mar 21, 2011
Trivandrum, Kerala, India
You saved my Day

hey.. Thanks a lot you saved my day...

I was desperate with a semi-bricked droid3.. I was searching for around 3 days before i found your post. Really saved a lot of effort.. You could format your post bit more..

Thanks a lot.. :):)

Sep 23, 2009
Puntarenas
Bricked Droid 3 from VZW (XT862)

Excellent work... I was wondering if you could upload the file again on to another server (may I suggest "Mediafire") because the link is sadly down... :-(

I bricked my phone because I mistakenly thought all safe strap Roms were compatible with mine... my bad...

Cheers... :cool:

haztv

Jun 1, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
Finally got this to work had to do it on my brothers PC not sure why it won't work on mines. The one click root method won't work on his computer but will work on mines however if that's not weird I don't know what is lol.... Thanks again Redsox

Sep 23, 2009
Puntarenas
Bricked Droid 3 Finally Fixed :-D

Thank you very much @redsox985 for pointing out were to find the mirror, it worked great :) ! I finally unbricked my beloved Droid 3 a couple days back, now a new question comes to mind...

Does using this unbrick method would prevent me or whoever in that matter to be able to install a safe strap custom recovery and/or if so, also prevent the installation of a custom rom?

I have tried to install a safe strap recovery from "Codes of Hash" so I can use Darkdroid Rom once again but I have been unsuccessful in that endevour...

Thank you again for taking your time to read this, it is deeply appreciated! :D

gierso

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)
Thank you very much @redsox985 for pointing out were to find the mirror, it worked great :) ! I finally unbricked my beloved Droid 3 a couple days back, now a new question comes to mind...

Does using this unbrick method would prevent me or whoever in that matter to be able to install a safe strap custom recovery and/or if so, also prevent the installation of a custom rom?

I have tried to install a safe strap recovery from "Codes of Hash" so I can use Darkdroid Rom once again but I have been unsuccessful in that endevour...

Thank you again for taking your time to read this, it is deeply appreciated! :D

Maybe a dumb question but have you remembered to re root???? ;) because safe strap is just install apk .... :D

Enviado desde mi XT862 usando Tapatalk

Reactions: Dunkelherzmann
Sep 23, 2009
Puntarenas
I finally got it working, I will try to describe as best as possible what I did to get it all back to track in hopes that it might actually help somebody else as well, I will make remarks on the software I used and post links to it as well.

First, I used the Unbrick method, that worked great... I can't stress enough how happy I was to see my phone working again.

Second, I rooted my phone using SuperOneClick 2.3.3 from shotfuse.org http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Third, I changed the settings on the "SuperUser" app to allow root permissions to all requesting apps automatically.

Fourth, I went on the endevour of installing the "Custom Recovery" on my phone by the means of "Safestrap" or "Bootstrap" and I tried several of them but most didn't install anything even by having the root access they would not install the recovery so I kept looking...

Fifth, I finally found my shine of light: "Droid 3 Bootstrapper [TWEAKED]" this did the trick for me, it finally got me to CWM, you can download it from here http://www.mediafire.com/?oiohld4yv3fgfeo

Sixth, I then later installed Rom Manager and successfully installed Hashcode's "CM9 ICS RC0" from the Rom Manager, I have also used it with DarkDroid and it worked perfectly as well...

In any case this reply becomes a violation of XDA's rules I ask the Mods to delete it if not I hope it can help give some bit of insight to other afflicted users of the Droid 3.

I also wish to say thanks to all of you who helped me, I appreciate it deeply :)

PS: I really wanted a debloated Custom Rom, I live in Costa Rica and Verizon's bloatware is more than useless here... now I finally got it... keep up the good work!

Last edited:

redsox985

Aug 30, 2011
PA
I finally got it working, I will try to describe as best as possible what I did to get it all back to track in hopes that it might actually help somebody else as well, I will make remarks on the software I used and post links to it as well.

First, I used the Unbrick method, that worked great... I can't stress enough how happy I was to see my phone working again.

Second, I rooted my phone using SuperOneClick 2.3.3 from shotfuse.org http://depositfiles.com/files/n0dcxce3t

Third, I changed the settings on the "SuperUser" app to allow root permissions to all requesting apps automatically.

Fourth, I went on the endevour of installing the "Custom Recovery" on my phone by the means of "Safestrap" or "Bootstrap" and I tried several of them but most didn't install anything even by having the root access they would not install the recovery so I kept looking...

Fifth, I finally found my shine of light: "Droid 3 Bootstrapper [TWEAKED]" this did the trick for me, it finally got me to CWM, you can download it from here http://www.mediafire.com/?oiohld4yv3fgfeo

Sixth, I then later installed Rom Manager and successfully installed Hashcode's "CM9 ICS RC0" from the Rom Manager, I have also used it with DarkDroid and it worked perfectly as well...

In any case this reply becomes a violation of XDA's rules I ask the Mods to delete it if not I hope it can help give some bit of insight to other afflicted users of the Droid 3.

I also wish to say thanks to all of you who helped me, I appreciate it deeply :)

PS: I really wanted a debloated Custom Rom, I live in Costa Rica and Verizon's bloatware is more than useless here... now I finally got it... keep up the good work!

Part of your issues with granting root access is that I don't believe Super One Click 2.3.3 works with this phone. If you use PZousa's Root Tool found in a sticky around here somewhere, probably over in development, it will root fine and always grant SuperUser permission.

Sep 23, 2009
Puntarenas
I confess I have never tried rooting my phone by other means other than SuperOneClick, I will look into it, thanks for the heads up!

*Edit: I used the Unbrick procedure to go back to Stock Firmware, then ran PZousa's Rooting Tool and then I could normally install Hashcode's Safestrap like a charm!

@redsox985 you're the man! thanks!!

Last edited:

gierso

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)

very weird you cant install the safestrap from hashcodes..
im glad at least one bootstrap worked for you!!
By the way CM9 from this week! beta 03062012 works very nice on the verizon droid!!
:D
if you use GSM on this D3 you should make some improvements to make your life easier..
in build.prop( can use es file explorer with superuser R/W access in options)
change the network to 3 (which is gsm or 3g auto) and the Dualswitch value to false (dont know if it affects but my d3 isnt changing back to cdma anymore.)

if it is CDMA then it should be working perfectly i guess. :)

also the only roots i know that works are the psouza4 one click script and the new drioid 4 root method
the psousa4 is here http://psouza4.com/droid3/ also the drivers he post are the ones that worked every time for me ...
cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, I've learned from my mistakes of mixing bootstrap files, but I'm here to help you unbrick your Droid 3 (XT862) The following is a list to unbrick, the process should take about 5 minutes (not including the download or boot time)
    1.[Originally from RootzWiki] Updated Link! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61707107/Verizon%20Droid%203%205.6.890%20OTA/Flash%2BVerizon%2BDROID%2B3%2BOTA%2B5.6.890%2Bto%2Bphone_psouza4.zip
    2. Download the ~450mb file.
    3. If you have a spare battery, or the current battery, make sure it's charged above 50% (quick unbrick wont run if it's below 50%) You can use a spare USB cable and strip the red and black wires, then place the red on the + contact of the battery, black on the - contact. Dont charge it via this method for longer than a couple hours, and unplug if the battery starts to get hot. (Lithium-Ion explodes when overheated too much)
    4. When the download is complete, extract the RAR file (WinZip), and when the phone is off, press m+power and scroll down to AP Fastboot.
    5. Plug the phone into a USB 2.0 or older USB jack on your computer (some users finding USB 3.0 problems), make sure you get the USB connected message on the phone.
    6. Run the "Click Here - Flash Verizon" file, make sure you get "OKAY" for each message that pops up on the CMD prompt.
    7. Let your phone restore and boot.
    If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post.
    ***Sorry for the re-post, but I don't want rants on iphones and ps3 controllers on a potential sticky thread :D
    From another thread...
    phone is now dead and I can no longer try to flash over the sbf file.... This definitely sucks. So any ideas guys? I read somewhere about connecting the cord to the back of the phone if I cut the cord to make it think that it is charged.
    I downloaded your sbf. Extracted it to a new folder on my desktop. Ran rsd lite 5.5 restarted phone in fastboot mode. Connected it with the usb to the computer. clicked ... ran the extracted folder that had the xml. and yea now I can't try again because low battery

Ok, first, you must charge your battery. Get an unneeded USB cable (NOT your stock Moto cable, but one from an old keyboard, mouse, camera, etc.) Cut the cable off from the device, I cut an old mouse off right at the mouse. There should be 4 thinner wires inside: red, white, green and black. Grab the red and black ones and strip off about 1/2-1 inch of the colored insulation. Red is hot, black is ground. Fold each over themselves to make it double thick and insert the red into the + slot of the battery and black into the - slot. Let this sit and charge for no more than 3 hours (battery is ~1500mAh, USB output of 500mA). Now that you're charged up, get a fresh DL of the quick unbricking script just to be sure...
    http://bit.ly/D3UnBrick

This will download as a .zip file. Use 7zip, winrar, etc. to unzip this folder onto your desktop. There is no need for RSD lite with this method of unbricking. Open up that folder than has been created on your desktop (it should be called Flash+Verizon+DROID+3+OTA+5.6.890+to+phone_psouza4). Open up another folder inside there named "Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone_psouza4". Now, locate something called "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". In Windows 7 at least, this has little gears as its icon. (see attached screenshot) Don't double click it yet.

Head over to your phone and ensure your battery is charged. Press M+Power and select AP Fastboot. Connect your phone to your computer via stock Moto cable. The phone screen should say "USB connected" or something along those lines to show it has detected a connection. Go back to the open folder and NOW double click "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". A command prompt looking window should appear. Let the phone sit there and do its thing.

This video I made illustrates the process as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcne9tFtBxY
    new link

seems that the the links no longer work; can someone supply good a good link or send me the file directly?

Thanks for all the help & info

Hey I searched the web for this and only found one .zip that was twice the size because there was 2 of everything in it! I took out the extra copies and repacked it into a .rar and have uploaded it to my website here craigconcepts.com/public/psouzaFXZwithRootToos-D3.rar
    just use the xml or one click sbf exe
    links in my list
    sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2