Official Huawei Ascend Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
Its still in the works last I heard. Check through this thread as there has been some updated info regarding the rom and froyo for the Ascend.

Sent from my M860 using XDA App

brandnewlow

Dec 17, 2010
Hey everyone,
So I read through pretty much all of both ascend threads, and tried searching the market and a few sites to get the z4root to root my phone. Couldn't find anything. Couple that with not having internet on my home computer and I'm pretty much stuck. Any way I can do this from just my phone, or downloading something to my phone to transfer to my computer and do something that way. I'm a bit clueless.

dEris

Nov 6, 2009
Dallas Texas
google.com
Hey everyone,
So I read through pretty much all of both ascend threads, and tried searching the market and a few sites to get the z4root to root my phone. Couldn't find anything. Couple that with not having internet on my home computer and I'm pretty much stuck. Any way I can do this from just my phone, or downloading something to my phone to transfer to my computer and do something that way. I'm a bit clueless.

Download Z4 directly to your phone and install the APK. Then run the app.

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
z4root has been removed once again from the market, it's not the first time this has happened. You can download it here directly from your phone.

You are also going to need Titanium backup. I would suggest reading up on how to use your phone after rooting it before going and deleting a bunch of files. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do so on XDA.

Last edited:

dEris

Nov 6, 2009
Dallas Texas
google.com
z4root has been removed once again from the market, it's not the first time this has happened. You can download it here directly from your phone.

You are also going to need to download superuser and Titanium backup. I would suggest reading up on how to use your phone after rooting it before going and deleting a bunch of files. There are plenty of tutorials on how to do so on XDA.

SU gets installed with Z4 durring the root process.

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
Benchmarking the Ascend

So, I want to post my results of my cleaned up Ascend. I would like to get a general idea from users who are not rooted or rooted or just bought thier phone and what not.

Post the state of your phone, ( new out the box, used, rooted, etc. ) and then your BenchmarkPi by Konstantinos Polychronis and Benchmark by softweg. Both found in the market.

Rooted Ascend

** BenchmarkPi **

** Benchmark **
Total Graphics Score: 117.87694
Total CPU Score: 144.71965
Total Memory Score: 156.40988
Total Filesystem Score: 50.900574

Let's not make this a compition, simply run the benchmarks and post your results :)

Last edited:

PariahLantern

Dec 14, 2010
What did you use to remove the bloat? Im rooted and nothing seems to work. Also why doesnt angry birds work?

Is there also a way to get some multitouch?

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
You can use titanium backup to remove all the bloat. No multi touch since there are no custom roms and even then, I don't think our screens are capable. In my opinion, some graphic intensive games do not work because our phone lacks a lot of power and capabilities other Droid phones have. You really get what you pay for with the Ascend unfortunately. Best things to do is root and remove half the bloat the phone came with until a custom overclocking kernal or from comes out.

brandnewlow

Dec 17, 2010
So maybe I was a bit hasty in rooting my phone. Oops? I removed the midnight bowling and uno, of course, and saw you, being ben, say that you removed a few of the other stock apps, like notepad and g talk. I followed suit, conformist that I am, removing the notepad and the g talk update. I now get a force close pop up for a gapps thing. It doesn't do much and doesn't really seem to make a difference when I force close it. And it doesn't pop up too often, only when I download new apps. also, I didn't back up my phone. Oops number 2? A bit impulsive, I know. If you could direct me toward any such rooting guide wherei could find more information I would much appreciate it.

Reactions: LegzRwheelz

Ben's

Nov 24, 2010
Oregon
Well general rule of thumb is that you don't remove anything that your not comfortable in removing. There are a lot of does and donts but no real concrete guide in what you do after you root your phone. Try and install the gtalk apk file that I have posted in a previous post. Unzip it and see if that helps. You should still have the gtalk in your list when you open titanium backup right? If you remove things that deal with Google, be very careful. Other things like removing swipe takes away the blue keyboard you are used to seeing and give you the crappy stock. In essence, removing items may sometimes be tied in with other functions of your phone so researching and caution are your two best friends when removing bloat. Hope that helps!

selfinflicted1

Dec 7, 2010
Hermitage Tn.
Yea so the g talk and market are linked some how. Thank you google. After removing the bloat ware i am showin over 96 Mb free. Yesterday i had the chance to run a few things side by side with a stock ascend and mine was def faster. Now if i can fix my gtalk with the link provided by ben i will be a happy camper. One thing i seen was that amd made chipsets for a lot of phones. Also i think i seen upgrades for the physical memory. Does this mean sd card or are there internal upgrades? Either way i am wanting to know if these phones will suport the16 gig micro cards? last thing is i was readin about the zio (crickets other smart phone) and in that forum they talked like it was far better than the ascend. Is there any truth to this? I was under the impresion that it only ran 1.6 and and only cost more cuz the brand?

Rooted M860 selfinflicted minus the market via gtalk (thanks again google)

brandnewlow

Dec 17, 2010
Well, I tried installing that g talk, and it did install, but it still doing that force close thing. Still not noticing any ill effects. It's nit effecting my market, I'm still able to download apps and install updates. It's Just a little annoying. Thanks though. And g talk doesn't open at all when I click it. Not sure if it did before I installed that apk after I deleted the update.

joenathane

Oct 19, 2010
Phoenix
Well, I tried installing that g talk, and it did install, but it still doing that force close thing. Still not noticing any ill effects. It's nit effecting my market, I'm still able to download apps and install updates. It's Just a little annoying. Thanks though. And g talk doesn't open at all when I click it. Not sure if it did before I installed that apk after I deleted the update.

You can't install it like you do regular apps, you need to put the apk and odex of gtalk into your /system/app directory

I uploaded the files in case you don't have them, the best way to do it would be to use a program like rootexplorer or sufbs(this one is cheaper), neither witch are free.

You can't use adb to do it because our phone has that locked out via the whole "rosecure=1" thing.

Attachments

• gtalk.zip
    307.6 KB · Views: 240

johnnyfamous

Dec 18, 2010
i have a rooted Ascend can you give a list of removed apps please? I would like to remove everything i don't need, i just want the basic.

Jbino

Nov 22, 2010
I rooted with z4 and lost gapps. Keeps poppin up forced close and i can't access the market it only sticks on loading. Help

I downloaded gtalk.zip, copy/pasted into system/apps. About restart, but does anyone have googleapps.apk also?

Sent from my Ascend 2.1 3G using Taptalk

joenathane

Oct 19, 2010
Phoenix
I have the gtalk apks and root explorer how do i put it in the system now?

I'm assuming that the gtalk apk and odex are on your sdcard, open root explorer and press and hold on gtalkservice.apk and select copy and then navigate to the root of your phone and go to open the "system" folder and then the "app" folder and then press the menu button and select paste, and then do the same thing for the gtalkservice.odex file and you should be done. maybe restart your phone.

make sure to hit the mount r/w in root explorer first, if you don't do that then it wont work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ladies and Gentlemen...

We now have CyanogenMOD 6.2.0-RC0 (Froyo)!

See the attached pictures below :)

1) Home screen of CM6
    2) About phone for proof :D

Everything built okay, but the signed package failed on me. I'll have to look at that. There are soooo many things not working yet, but I'm looking into now. These are the things not working (and they're important):

1) Network service is not operational
    2) Wifi
    3) Bluetooth
    4) Camera

What matters is that it's possible at this point. Now that I have an idea, it'll be easier for me to fix what's broken. :D
    I thought I would go ahead and make a general thread for the Cricket Huawei Ascend until something more concrete comes along. My apologies to the Mods if the word “Official " is not approved. I just want a section where people can post anything and everything about thier Android Ascends since, well, as we all know, XDA rocks and people are more inclined to look here first then any other development website!

So, post up folks! There are a few of us who have these phones and are pretty well versed when it comes to the ins and outs! I will post up some small write ups and what you can do to get a little extra bang for the buck in the speed department of things and I am sure a lot of others have valuable and up to date information!

I’ll start by posting what I have said about this phone in another thread.

Rooting this phone and removing some of the pre-installed apps and files is a must.

z4 root works great with this phone. Nothing towards Superoneclick but lets face it, its way to complicated for the average user and even then, it's hard to get working. z4 root is a total win in this case, I have managed to delete half the junk the phone came with and have noticed a slight performance boost although it's not much to brag about with a 600Mhz processor. A custom kernel is almost a must as well. I can not play non market games, it's slow if you try to multitask and is all around slow coming from an expert Droid user.

Lastly, the Swipe keyboard. Who ever would want to use that! What a slow nightmare it is to try to type with Swipe in my opinion, I deleted it. The stock keyboard is not much better. Get " Better Keyboard ", it's not nearly as laggy and it can actually keep up with fast texting.

BUT, there is a bright side to all the cons ( almost all the cons )

Rooting, deleting junk and downloading Better Keyboard makes this phone an awesome entry level phone that can hold it's own with the mid range phones. It's no Evo by any means, but, it's a step closer to becoming an affordable real “smart phone ".

The ability to overclock would make it 100% indeed a smart phone and more then capable of holding it's own vs. $300+ phones. It's a project phone, you get what you pay for but, if you have a little time and patience, you too can own a get Android device with no contract, low monthly payments and hours of entertainment from the Android platform. I, am sold on this phone. I have owned other Android type phones and I can honestly say, this phone can be some competition.

Sure it has a poor quality LCD screen and can be buggy out of the box, but like I said, a little patience and determination is what makes this phone enjoyable. And, after all, it's not like it needs constant maintenance. Just a few steps to take out of the box and your set. For $150, I can't complain now that my phone is working like an Android phone should work.
    Hey guys,

If anyone of you feel like I'm holding back, please don't. For Cricket users, I can understand your excitement because you've had this phone for months and it wasn't until 2 weeks ago did anything really good start happening. I would say that CWR is about 95% working (as far as I can tell), but it's generic build. A very dirty generic build. If anything should happen to your phones, I don't want to be responsible.

Also, I don't want to side-step Koush. I attempted the build and got lucky. I gained the necessary information to help Koush get the recovery. However, since joenathane sent him the phone, he can now build a PROPER build for the phone. One that is worthy to be in rom manager. He's a big dog in the android-dev world, I wouldn't want to give him a bad name, ya know?

The recovery is a big step for us, yes. But my big goal is tackling CM6 for the Ascend. Means to an end, if you will. Once Koush gets back from CES, he'll have it in there and hopefully, I'll have something worthy for you guys to flash. Good things are coming people, it'll just take a little more time. The people that do this stuff do it for fun. :)

If CWR is not put into Rom Manager within a reasonable amount of time, I'll go ahead and release what I got. If that happens, I want to have a separate thread for because I don't want to post something 50+ pages deep into a thread.
    How do we get cyanogenmod

At this point, you wouldn't want it. Until it's fixed, you can't even make phone calls...
    Off topic:

http://ipodify.net/ - I'm working on a site for us Ascend users. If you would like to join, let me know! ipodify.net is a temporary home until I get the domain purchased. Thanks